Author Topic: Dipset is Working with Dr. Dre  (Read 1080 times)

jeanmiche777

Re: Dipset is Working with Dr. Dre
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
Yeah, I guess you right.  And I was thinking of the beats I didnt like over the years (Blue Carpet Treatment, Kingdom Come, The Big Bang) but then I thought of beats I really enjoyed off each of them (Imagine, Minority Report, Dont Get Carried Away).  So hes still doing something at least half right. 

But Ill always stand by: if you give some of these younger slash less known beatmakers the mixing mastering and instrument access that Aftermath has, some of them would make some upto par beats for Dres level!

(Which also leads into exactly how much Dre still does, and what percentage of the job his team and staff handle, but I really dont want to get into that argument, cuz quite frankly Dre has earned his accolades)

100% right

Sikotic™

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »
Dre better not bring any cliche'd west coast shit to the table. He better find some ghost producers to track down some samples to destroy.
Agreed. He needs to step his shit up when fuckin with the Dips.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
Yeah, I guess you right.  And I was thinking of the beats I didnt like over the years (Blue Carpet Treatment, Kingdom Come, The Big Bang) but then I thought of beats I really enjoyed off each of them (Imagine, Minority Report, Dont Get Carried Away).  So hes still doing something at least half right. 

But Ill always stand by: if you give some of these younger slash less known beatmakers the mixing mastering and instrument access that Aftermath has, some of them would make some upto par beats for Dres level!

(Which also leads into exactly how much Dre still does, and what percentage of the job his team and staff handle, but I really dont want to get into that argument, cuz quite frankly Dre has earned his accolades)
well props for the reflection in this conversation, i know now that i misjudged you before.

anyway, i do think some of the beats on Relapse should have been better. but it has some nice ones, like 3 am, crack a bottle, we made you, underground, deja vu.
i also like the beat of the bonus track, My darling( it's basically one loop, but it doesn't bother me, unlike the first time i heard it), as well as the leftover 'The warning'.

as far as your statement about young/lesser known beatmakers: well i'm sure the sound quality would improve & the talented ones could make great stuff ( the use of live instruments is a plus imo).

yeah i understand that you want to leave the 'dre's input' argument alone.
but i'm sure you understand that producing is not the same as beatmaking.
professional producers should make some sort of wiki

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »

well props for the reflection in this conversation, i know now that i misjudged you before.

anyway, i do think some of the beats on Relapse should have been better. but it has some nice ones, like 3 am, crack a bottle, we made you, underground, deja vu.
i also like the beat of the bonus track, My darling( it's basically one loop, but it doesn't bother me, unlike the first time i heard it), as well as the leftover 'The warning'.

as far as your statement about young/lesser known beatmakers: well i'm sure the sound quality would improve & the talented ones could make great stuff ( the use of live instruments is a plus imo).

Yes I understand, I'm going to school for Audio Engineering right now, lol.

If anything that argument puts the indie beatmakers above Dre, because Dre can sit there and say this sounds good with this, and just get his team to bang it out, he don't actually have to touch anything.

Meanwhile all these indie producers you hear, that's usually one person doing the producing AND engineering.

If they can input the chords into their keyboard to their music program, they can accurately relay to a live instrument player what to play.

One thing I will always give Dre credit for is his mixing/mastering.  That's what makes his joints to me.  And you can see it now, when he comes out with a beat that is just a loop with no advanced composition, but ppl think it's dope cuz it SOUNDS dope (Mixed well).

Alot of the basslines, guitar rhythms, etc.  Are those Dre telling them what to play, or the players thinking of those lines themselves for the basic loop Dre has thought of..   Is Dre earning their credits, or are they earning Dre's credits?

And then think of all of this equipment he has.  We both know there's only so far certain hardware/software will take you.   Dre has the finances to hire who he wants, and buy what he wants.

When I think of a Dre production nowadays, I think of a buncha tryed and tested instrument players with real arrangement skills, and the most expensive tools you could ask for.

Then when I hear an indie beat, I think of one dude with his midi controller, his VSTs, and Reason.  And these shits sounds just as good (save for the mixing/mastering) to me.

Again I'll state this is my judgment of modern Dre, during the Death Row days I give him full credits for every aspect of the song he was involved in.

INGlewood4Life

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2010, 12:54:32 AM »
?????????????????? ???

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »

Yes I understand, I'm going to school for Audio Engineering right now, lol.

If anything that argument puts the indie beatmakers above Dre, because Dre can sit there and say this sounds good with this, and just get his team to bang it out, he don't actually have to touch anything.

Meanwhile all these indie producers you hear, that's usually one person doing the producing AND engineering.

If they can input the chords into their keyboard to their music program, they can accurately relay to a live instrument player what to play.

One thing I will always give Dre credit for is his mixing/mastering.  That's what makes his joints to me.  And you can see it now, when he comes out with a beat that is just a loop with no advanced composition, but ppl think it's dope cuz it SOUNDS dope (Mixed well).

Alot of the basslines, guitar rhythms, etc.  Are those Dre telling them what to play, or the players thinking of those lines themselves for the basic loop Dre has thought of..   Is Dre earning their credits, or are they earning Dre's credits?
well if you consider working with others as a bad thing, then yeah you have a point.

i respect your opinion about dre's music, but to me mixing & mastering doesn't save a bad melody or sound.

as far as the input question: i'm not a visitor of all the studio sessions, but i do know that dre doesn't come up with everything himself, the musicians also come up with ideas.
for example, i remember reading an interview( of The D.O.C.???), in which was told that Colin Wolfe came up with the notes for the bassline of Deep cover.

And then think of all of this equipment he has.  We both know there's only so far certain hardware/software will take you.   Dre has the finances to hire who he wants, and buy what he wants.

When I think of a Dre production nowadays, I think of a buncha tryed and tested instrument players with real arrangement skills, and the most expensive tools you could ask for.

Then when I hear an indie beat, I think of one dude with his midi controller, his VSTs, and Reason.  And these shits sounds just as good (save for the mixing/mastering) to me.

Again I'll state this is my judgment of modern Dre, during the Death Row days I give him full credits for every aspect of the song he was involved in.
fair enough.

i don't understand why you give Dre more props for the death row period though.
he's been working with musicians since NWA. so i'd like to know what has changed, after death row(as far as producing goes)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
he's been working with musicians since NWA. so i'd like to know what has changed, after death row(as far as producing goes)

I dunno, lol.  I think he is getting alot more help now than he did when he first started out.  (because of his finances, his label, and his connects)

He probably didn't know alot of good composers/arrangers to help him out.  He probably didn't have the funds to hire any to come in.  And it was DeathRow, I'm sure alot of musicians would pass on just the label name.

Now he got all this money, a respected label by all genres of music (most), and now ppl would work for free to get a chance at Dre..

What do you think? 

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:46 AM »

I dunno, lol.  I think he is getting alot more help now than he did when he first started out.  (because of his finances, his label, and his connects)

He probably didn't know alot of good composers/arrangers to help him out.  He probably didn't have the funds to hire any to come in.  And it was DeathRow, I'm sure alot of musicians would pass on just the label name.

Now he got all this money, a respected label by all genres of music (most), and now ppl would work for free to get a chance at Dre..

What do you think? 
well i think dre could use his name to take advantage of others, but i don't see any signs of him actually doing that.
but i'm sure it's easier for him now to find musicians, than in the past.

i really doubt dre was paying musicians out of his own pocket, during the death row period.

i don't think Dre is getting more help, than during the death row period, it's just that he works with other musicians now.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »

What do you think? 
well i think dre could use his name to take advantage of others, but i don't see any signs of him actually doing that.
but i'm sure it's easier for him now to find musicians, than in the past.

i really doubt dre was paying musicians out of his own pocket, during the death row period.

i don't think Dre is getting more help, than during the death row period, it's just that he works with other musicians now.

Probably true. Props on good discussion!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 06:19:46 AM »
you're welcome ;) and thank you as well

TRG

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 05:07:25 AM »

Paul

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2010, 05:30:31 AM »
funkyfreshintheflesh

Matty

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
video of them in the studio!

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/10/15/wake-n-watch-the-diplomats-recording-session-with-dr-dre-exclusive/

..of course there's no audio

looks like they are having fun, hope to hear the audio one day. and studio looks a quite small - likely dre was rolling with a bag of premade mega-beats as opposed to making anythying there and then.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »
Dre does look like a football player now, lol.   That's what happens when you get snuffed at the Vibe awards I Guess.