Author Topic: Westcoast rappers charging outrageous prices for Rap Verses (features)  (Read 2532 times)

Anunikke

Re: Westcoast rappers charging outrageous prices for Rap Verses (features)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 08:45:09 AM »
I don't know if it's outrageous until you post comparative material of other artists.

I also doubt that these prices are set in stone, I heard a lot of rappers work with an 'eye for an eye' concept.
And they must go down for affiliated artists.

EDIT: I'd like to know what producers ask for a beat.
Like blasphemy said, I think dre asks about a quarter million.
And I remember hearing a story about Big pun having to give RZA 30K cash for a beat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 08:47:04 AM by Anunikke »

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
Snoop and Snoops people didn't even hit me back with a price!

Well, Justin posts here, so he might see this topic.  But did you tell them your budget was around $1k?  If so, they probably got offended that you would even think anyone from Snoop's roster would do something for $1k.

You might arrange discounted verses with the two Interscope artists your singer did hooks for.  Or did you charge full price to those artists?  What I'm saying is, have your singer do hooks for free with those Interscope artists in exchange for a reduced rate for what those artists will charge you for a verse.  You might be able to get them to come down to $1k through good negotiations.  Also, have your artist build up a little buzz on his own -- leak some stuff to the 'Net and get a good reaction, which will make (potentially) some rappers a little more willing to lay down a verse for him.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:06:12 AM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Fraxxx

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
Lol @ somebody wanting a Snoop feature. IMO he's one of the worst feature rappers ever. Xzibit will give you a dope verse anytime, I can see why he's charging this money.

And for paying higher prizes for beats - if you got a banging beat you don't even need a good verse that bad, so that's reasonable.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Lunatic

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:24 AM »
This ain't accurate at all.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

MarshColin

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »
You gotta keep in mind they throw out high-ball numbers to see if you'll bite at that price, but in reality most of them would do a verse for way less than half of what they are originally asking if you approach them right. If you explain to them that you're a big fan, and it would be an honor to have them on your album but you are only working with X amount of money, most of them of will go pretty damn low when it comes down it. I've seen it first hand with 3 people on your list in fact. It's all about your approach. And if your music is good in the first place, that will make a big difference. You could also try and see if they'll cut you a deal if you let them use one of your beats or if they like your homie have him sing some hooks for free for them. You can't just look at that # and think "fuck, i don't have that much money." You gotta be creative.

Stan

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
DJ Quik - $10000
MC Ren - $4000
Xzibit - $15000
Tash - $2000
Rass Kass - $4000
Ice Cube - $25000
MC Eiht - $5000
E40 - $8000
Too Short - $15000
Mack 10 - $15000
G Malone - $2500
Crooked I - $5000
Yukmouth - $3000
Tha Realest - $3000
Big Syke - $3000
Mista Fab - $15000
Suga Free - $3500
Goldie Loc - $1500
Dresta - $1500
Menace from bws - $4000
40 Glocc - $8000
Kurupt - $4000
Gail Gotti - $3000
Spice 1 - $2500
Knocturnal - $4000
Kokane - $2000
Kam - $5000
Soopafly - $4000
Defari - $1500
Paris - $2500
Swoop G - $2000
There was a few more but basically I couldn't get anything for 1K.

Finally a good post that isn't Dre, Pac, or DPG related.  Yea I agree with most some of these prices are crazy.  The whole point, well maybe yours, is to get a "name" that can help sell a single right?  40 Glocc charging more than Kurupt?!  I don't even know who Mista Fab is and I've been listening to the West Coast since the early 90s.  

If I were you I'd try and negotiate, I doubt those prices are set in stone.  For your budget I would definitely say Kurupt offers the most for your money.  If you have more dough, I'd see who else has an album coming out so you can use that buzz for your artist.  
If you do buy a verse,  pay someone that at least has a major label album out so you know their name is recognizable.  Well more than most of the others anyways... E40 seems reasonable too...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:46:23 AM by Stan »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
You gotta keep in mind they throw out high-ball numbers to see if you'll bite at that price, but in reality most of them would do a verse for way less than half of what they are originally asking if you approach them right. If you explain to them that you're a big fan, and it would be an honor to have them on your album but you are only working with X amount of money, most of them of will go pretty damn low when it comes down it. I've seen it first hand with 3 people on your list in fact. It's all about your approach. And if your music is good in the first place, that will make a big difference. You could also try and see if they'll cut you a deal if you let them use one of your beats or if they like your homie have him sing some hooks for free for them. You can't just look at that # and think "fuck, i don't have that much money." You gotta be creative.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Some of these are completely understandable...like the OGs who were actually relevant back in the day. Cube, Too Short, etc. But some of them are like wtf considering few people outside forums like this know of them.

Anyways, it probably has to do with them not having a clue who your artist is. If I were a semi-famous rapper I wouldn't be dropping verses for just anyone.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 11:10:35 AM »
Snoop and Snoops people didn't even hit me back with a price!

Well, Justin posts here, so he might see this topic.  But did you tell them your budget was around $1k?  If so, they probably got offended that you would even think anyone from Snoop's roster would do something for $1k.

You might arrange discounted verses with the two Interscope artists your singer did hooks for.  Or did you charge full price to those artists?  What I'm saying is, have your singer do hooks for free with those Interscope artists in exchange for a reduced rate for what those artists will charge you for a verse.  You might be able to get them to come down to $1k through good negotiations.  Also, have your artist build up a little buzz on his own -- leak some stuff to the 'Net and get a good reaction, which will make (potentially) some rappers a little more willing to lay down a verse for him.

good post yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Jimmy H.

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
At the end of the day, this is a business. These guys aren't looking to work for the lowest price possible so they can help some artist with a smaller name get recognition. They are trying to eat like everybody else. Some of them might hook you up from time to time but the reality is they have a name with value attached to it and they are trying to make it worth more, not less.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
Majority of those are over blown. lol That's just sad. Oh well I heard Dre Charges 250,000 for production of just 1 track. So who the hell knows lol. No wonder Game couldn't get Dre to do it, he'd lose all his money.
game is not paying for that himself

Mietek23

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 11:50:24 AM »
LMFAO @ 40 COCK charging 8000$ for one of his wack ass verses :D

Portugoal

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »
LMFAO @ 40 COCK charging 8000$ for one of his wack ass verses :D

Do you seriously think 40 Glocc is not a good rapper? 40 shits on a lot of rappers that get discussed over here. If the answer to that question is yes, I think you need to hit the button and never come back again. Or better yet, delete your account.

Stan

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 11:58:43 AM »
Your probably not gonna get 95% of those rappers for 1k or under.  What is your budget max? I think some people had good ideas about trading hooks, being a fan, etc.  Make sure it is a good song.  Ask others what they think cuz your opinion is biased obviously.  

But, like Jimmy H says, it is a business and everyone has to get paid.

Keep us updated, I would be interested in hearing how this works out...

On a sidenote...
"I sell game at a quarter million a track, Snoop and the good Doc, back wit a brand new track" -- The Wash OST, The Wash- Snoop and Dr. Dre

And that was about 10 years ago so who knows...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:02:47 PM by Stan »

Lunatic

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
This ain't accurate. I've SEEN many of those names do way cheaper. And don't forget I manage Knocturnal. If U want a Knoc verse, I'm the one to contact.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com