Author Topic: This Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt album is WEAK... and this is what built his career?  (Read 1104 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I just listened to it again for old times sake because I love 1996, and the only track that I think is dope is the opening track with Mary J. Blige, and that's probably only because it brings back memories of 96 since it was the radio single.

Seriously.. this shit is trash.. I mean, people shit on Puffy but if you listen to No Way Out or Life After Death or most of those Bad Boy Records of that era he had amazing attention to detail.  I mean, even his skits were fuckin dope, like the little prayers he did for before one of the last joints on BIG's album and all that shit was way CINEMATIC. 

But Jay-Z's idea of a skit is some radio personality telling guys to put out their refer... yet strangely she was serious and it was supposed to be some pro-black message or something when most the album is talking about selling drugs... lol, but the thing is it wasn't humor, it was just like a lack of focus and creativity that I think plagues the whole album and this is just one example.

Then he has a track where he is supposedly freestylin and doing the Tribe Called Quest "Can I Kick It" thing.. so your expecting that he's really gonna drop some mind blowing punchlines or something.. and then your still left waiting at the end of the track looking stupid waiting for him to finally bring it....

How did this album serve as the foundation for a billion dollar career... damn, this dude must owe his life to Dame Dash and his own marketing skills because if he had to rely on talent this dude would've been finished long ago.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
That's an insane statement.

I can agree, as far as classic 90's albums so with the biggest names of all-time, it's not as good. But this is a classic album.

Doesn't have a weak track on it.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Damn, it's not my personal favorite hip hop album but it isn't trash.  It has lots of really good songs.  And really, it wasn't until The Blueprint where Jay Z started to get recognition beyond hip hop fans and in a way launched a new era.  

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
I just listened to it again for old times sake because I love 1996, and the only track that I think is dope is the opening track with Mary J. Blige, and that's probably only because it brings back memories of 96 since it was the radio single.

Seriously.. this shit is trash.. I mean, people shit on Puffy but if you listen to No Way Out or Life After Death or most of those Bad Boy Records of that era he had amazing attention to detail.  I mean, even his skits were fuckin dope, like the little prayers he did for before one of the last joints on BIG's album and all that shit was way CINEMATIC. 

But Jay-Z's idea of a skit is some radio personality telling guys to put out their refer... yet strangely she was serious and it was supposed to be some pro-black message or something when most the album is talking about selling drugs... lol, but the thing is it wasn't humor, it was just like a lack of focus and creativity that I think plagues the whole album and this is just one example.

Then he has a track where he is supposedly freestylin and doing the Tribe Called Quest "Can I Kick It" thing.. so your expecting that he's really gonna drop some mind blowing punchlines or something.. and then your still left waiting at the end of the track looking stupid waiting for him to finally bring it....

How did this album serve as the foundation for a billion dollar career... damn, this dude must owe his life to Dame Dash and his own marketing skills because if he had to rely on talent this dude would've been finished long ago.

22 2's was a clever take on wordplay, similar to what 2pac did on the title track of Me Against The World with words starting with the letter P.

And tbh that album did not take off immediately for Jay-Z. He did not become the Jay-Z we all know until well into his 3rd album and after Biggie died and by the next 2 albums they do not even hold a candle to Reasonable Doubt.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
^22 2's was on of my favorite joints off that. That was just dope spittin' with a classy Jay flow.

How can anybody shit on this album? Dead Presidents II is one of the greatest songs. D'Evils is sick. Brooklyn's Finest. The list goes on.

Like I said, Top 10-15 ever? Maybe not even Top 20. But a Hip Hop classic for sure. 8)

OG Hack Wilson

BRING IT ON is my jam
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
^22 2's was on of my favorite joints off that. That was just dope spittin' with a classy Jay flow.

How can anybody shit on this album? Dead Presidents II is one of the greatest songs. D'Evils is sick. Brooklyn's Finest. The list goes on.

Like I said, Top 10-15 ever? Maybe not even Top 20. But a Hip Hop classic for sure. 8)

Yessir, D'Evils was my shit. I got to dust that album off and put it in my Ipod

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Great album!

kemizt

Blood$

I love this album as well, still play a few joints off it here and there

"Regrets" is a criminally slept on Jay-Z track IMO and yeah "D'Evils" was always one of my favorites  8)

Raphael

This is the only Jay-Z album that i like but the wannabe mafioso theme of the album is so corny.

oh and Gangster-rap>>>>>Mafioso-rap
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:29:53 PM by Dick Masterson »

Triple OG Rapsodie

lmao, you're taking No Way Out or Life After Death over Reasonable Doubt? Credibility gone.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Well if we wanna talk debuts, uh yeah, Illmatic fucks all of them over.. backwards and sideways. Lol.

Blood$

lmao, you're taking No Way Out or Life After Death over Reasonable Doubt?

I was about to question how he thought No Way Out was better but Infinite is cool peoples in my book

I like Life After Death better though

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
lmao, you're taking No Way Out or Life After Death over Reasonable Doubt? Credibility gone.

No Way Out and Life After Death shit all over this album.. you want proof?  

Listen to the Jay-Z joints on No Way Out and Life After Death, those tracks are FULLY PRODUCED, those tracks are like mutherfucking movies compared to that corny ass "Brooklyn's Finest" track Biggie and him probably did in the space of a half hour that landed on Reasonable Doubt.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jeanmiche777

One of my top 15 albums all time no doubt about that