Author Topic: This Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt album is WEAK... and this is what built his career?  (Read 1101 times)

teecee

some of yall i suspect are just jay enthusiasts who cant really understand how at one point puff had more credibility musically then jay.

musical credibility? I don't think so. Popularity and impact, certainly, but then again the same can be said for Nas. No one was checking for illmatic when it dropped.

Not true at all...the real hiphop heads were looking at Nas as the second coming...and he didn't disappoint.  Did he go Platinum right away??? not even close, but the respect he got right away is undeniable.  Jigga, however, didn't bring ANYTHING new to the game.  I liked RD, but actually felt NAS IWW was better

teecee

King PETEY is speaking the truth...and is likely one of the few posting in this thread (besides myself) who was heavy into hiphop at that time.   

BadBoy had the game on LOCK.  If you don't believe it, check Jay's second cd, and his first two singles!   Dude straight up jacked the BadBoy flavour.

City is Mine-  hmmm...a very prominent 80's sample

Sunshine- - ever seen the video?  STRAIGHT BadBoy

Illmatic is more my thing, or some Mecca and the Soul Brother, but I would also argue that No Way Out was a classic.  Was it perfect?  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  But it DID define an era.   I don't like Get Rich or Die Trying at all, but I'd argue to the death its a classic, feel me?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
lol how is Memphis Bleek the only one Jay-Z put on?....Kanye? Beanie Sigel? Cam'ron? The Diplomats? Freeway?

most of that was dame dash.

dame is responsible for signing kanye, dont forget by the time graduation came out "big brother" disowned kanye. kanye fell in jays good graces again when he blew the fuck up. he was the one that put state prop on and gave them a clothing label and shit, dont forget how jay fucked freeway over when he had the situation w g unit/roc. dame is totally responsible for camron and the dipset movement. jay didnt want any parts of that shit going on w rocafella and all thats well documented.

jay jumps on bandwagons he seldom sets trends like ppl think hes just so visable white folks dont see the trend until jays doing it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
King PETEY is speaking the truth...and is likely one of the few posting in this thread (besides myself) who was heavy into hiphop at that time.  

BadBoy had the game on LOCK.  If you don't believe it, check Jay's second cd, and his first two singles!   Dude straight up jacked the BadBoy flavour.

City is Mine-  hmmm...a very prominent 80's sample

Sunshine- - ever seen the video?  STRAIGHT BadBoy

Illmatic is more my thing, or some Mecca and the Soul Brother, but I would also argue that No Way Out was a classic.  Was it perfect?  NOT EVEN CLOSE.  But it DID define an era.   I don't like Get Rich or Die Trying at all, but I'd argue to the death its a classic, feel me?

good post my dude.

in many interviews jay and dame could be noted as saying " the bad boy era had our head fucked up" when referring to the shiny suits jay wore on shit like sunshine and money aint a thing.

puff produced records on that second album as well as the hit men and had lil kim on it etc.

jeromechickenbone

Reasonable Doubt was great...there really is only a song or 2 I skip...one of those being "Ain't No Nigga".  EPMD did it way better - the hook made the farty bassline much more tolerable...

And yes, Jay was def jockin Bad Boy...In My Lifetime Vol 1 completely jacked the sampling, the visuals, Biggie's lyrics, etc.

And yeah, Puffy is a homo, but if you were into hip hop in the mid 90's then you'd know that everything he touched blew up.