Author Topic: With Game no longer on the map, the west has been set back 10 years  (Read 1255 times)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Snoop and Dre, that's it.  Unless your those two, no one outside cali gives a fuck about a west rapper.  Game was the exception.  With the RED Album pushed back into oblivion the west is basically irrelevant besides Snoop and Dre.  Cube's album was............wack, it flopped sales wise, and it deservedly flopped, sad to say.

All these "new west" niggas, ghost, none of these dudes ever going to blow unless Dre exec producing the album

Cali in a sad state right now
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

OG Hack Wilson

Re: With Game no longer on the map, the west has been set back 10 years
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
yeah   this is pretty much true
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:12:02 PM »
From a mainstream and recognition standpoint I cant argue that. There are still good albums to be had out here but hey if it aint from the people you mentioned, most aint checking for it. Decent year album wise from the west though, but quiet. We need more releases.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
Can't argue with that
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
How does one rapper falling off set the west back 10 years?

AshyLarry

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:44:39 PM »
we been in bad shape...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »
Exactly. It was what it was. Game got on and the 90's rappers got a few meals off of it but it wasn't like there was a long-term revival of all things West. Game came up in the Dre-Snoop camp like Xzibit did before him.

Elano

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 03:22:50 AM »
Just wait for Nipsey Hu$$le's album.....

Saber

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 03:35:19 AM »
Just wait for Nipsey Hu$$le's album.....
this

he west is basically irrelevant besides Snoop and Dre
How the fuck is Dre relevant ?  :D

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »
Actually Snoop's the only rapper from the west anyone would give a fuck about. People only check out Dre if he's producing for someone (which is usually Eminem).

Anunikke

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:02:11 AM »
As I see it there are 2 problems:
First: These westcoast rappers care too much about sales & popularity, they just need to start releasing albums.
Jay Rock seems to be the first to see the light seeing how he just signed to an indie, seriously fuck a major label.

Secondly the west is still basically relying on the same producers it did 20 years ago.
They just need more producers with a name,

This applies to the westcoast gangster rap, soul assassin fam is still releasing classics.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 07:04:13 AM by Anunikke »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
2 other big problems -

1 - Record labels won't take risks, they need a big hit first in this climate.

Because records sales are so down now, anyone signed to a big label has very little chance to come out... some were signed back when you could put something out and it would sell a certain amount, but now they don't want to put something out unless there is a sure fire hit on it and guaranteed sales. So you get dudes just releasing all types of wackness trying to find a hit. Then they do get a hit, but the rest of the album doesn't get put together fast enough to capitalize on it and then the buzz is lost. Or the record label wants another hit to build on the first one, lol

2 - The West as a whole now doesn't have a new signature sound, and individual artists don't have their own really stand-out signature sounds either.

In the past, the East coast had its main signature sound of hard sampled beats and complex rhymes, then the West became big with their signature sound of replayed p-funk riffs and talking about gangs with West coast flows. Then the South comes out with it's signature of club hits, simple lyrics and lots of personality.
But now the West either tries to make more of the old style, which is considered out of fashion, or they try to copy the south, but they don't do that style as well as the south (apart from a few times, E-40, etc). Game managed to get on by being part of the self-contained Dre/Eminem/50 Cent thing coming out, but has just made poorer copies of his debut since he debuted, and now is doing the copy the south style thing or trying to get a Neptunes hit (who haven't had a proper hit or revamped their style in years).
If you're not a part of the big signature style of your coast or area, then you really need your own sound, and no one really does at the moment, at least not a distinct enough sound to make them stand out.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »

because he was the first rapper in 10 years from the west not named Snoop/Dre that carried weight in this industry
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »
1 - the fans on dubcc make the westcoast look like a buncha stuck in tha past clownz when the rest of tha world just doesn't really give a fuck where ur from honestly (just make a good/enjoyable record)... cali swag district, tyga, neyo, nipsey, game, e40, Murs, and the list goes on.  even Waka had the West goin hard on his album.

2 - there isn't really a problem and it just gets OVER exxaggerated by people on dubcc mainly.  it all boils down 2 talent and not what coast your from (y'all still actin' like it's still tha 90's out here)

3 - how many people are actually on some "the west is dead" shit in 2010?  besides this shit it's virtually a non existant topic, everybody else I see talkin about the "westcoast" is usually saying how tha nigga (the subject at the moment) is either hot or garbage and not how Cali as a whole is off tha map (which is so far from true, y'all just need BETTER RAPPERS representin').  The rest of the world can't help that a lotta Cali niggaz aren't that entertaining as rappers and can't break the shackles.  

4 - the fact that 10 years later this is still a topic being created by delusional fans and marketers is proof enough that y'all are still in good shape.  If a new rapper wanna stay in Cali only then that's on him/her but if you're a smart business man then you would go out and turn over some rocks.  My man Hootie from Bompton is all over Waka's albums, I garantee son's fanbase just grew a bit stronger off of that move alone.  So if y'all are only paying to attention to niggaz that's local then yeah sure it's dead (i can definitely say the same for D.C.) but if you look past your backyard then tha game really ain't that bad all things considered.