Author Topic: Top 10 Best Rapper of Decade Listed, Nelly Not Happy  (Read 817 times)

Knett

• 'G'
Top 10 Best Rapper of Decade Listed, Nelly Not Happy
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »

And he's damn right. Who the hell puts those rappers in the best rappers from 2000-2010 list?
I could think of numerous rappers I would want to kick off / add to the list. Nelly even deserves a spot, with that Sweat/Suit shit he was on fire.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU</a>

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Top 10 Best Rapper of Decade Listed, Nelly Not Happy
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:06 AM »
Redoing the list, his still not in my top 10. I can think of 10 off the top not on that list that are better than Nelly, hell most of my top 10 I think are better than their top 10, not all of if but most of it.

Not in order
Andre 3000
Bun B
Game
Ice Cube
Nas
Common
Immortal Technique
Big Boi
Snoop Dogg
Lupe Fiasco

BiggBoogaBiff

i ain't talkin about just u only but...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 07:37:49 AM »
Redoing the list, his still not in my top 10. I can think of 10 off the top not on that list that are better than Nelly, hell most of my top 10 I think are better than their top 10, not all of if but most of it.

Not in order
Andre 3000
Bun B
Game
Ice Cube
Nas
Common
Immortal Technique
Big Boi
Snoop Dogg
Lupe Fiasco

U shoulda watched the show.  They made a point about not involving rappers pre-1999.  Game was an honorable mention and Lupe got his shot out.  I was never interested in Immortal Technique so I won't comment on it but the rest of your list couldn't even be considered, besides it's gettin a lil' old hearin' all of these 50 year olds complain about throwin' Nas' name out there or Cube's name out there when it comes to some list.  I don't wanna hear about and exclusively praise the same niggaz for the same shit all of the time.  I pay all respects all day eazy but it's time for some people to move on with it already, we hear u but it's old. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: i ain't talkin about just u only but...
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
U shoulda watched the show.  They made a point about not involving rappers pre-1999.  

List fail then. Jadakiss, Lil Wayne, and Eminem all came out in the 90s.

This list sucks as far as best rappers in the 21st century. But if they meant most popular, then Nelly probably should have been included.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:05:33 PM by rapsodie sees the elano in you »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »

Not in order
Andre 3000
Bun B
Game
Ice Cube
Nas
Common
Immortal Technique
Big Boi
Snoop Dogg
Lupe Fiasco

U shoulda watched the show.  They made a point about not involving rappers pre-1999.  Game was an honorable mention and Lupe got his shot out.  I was never interested in Immortal Technique so I won't comment on it but the rest of your list couldn't even be considered, besides it's gettin a lil' old hearin' all of these 50 year olds complain about throwin' Nas' name out there or Cube's name out there when it comes to some list.  I don't wanna hear about and exclusively praise the same niggaz for the same shit all of the time.  I pay all respects all day eazy but it's time for some people to move on with it already, we hear u but it's old. 

Nas's second peak was from 2001-now. Stillmatic, God's Son, Hip-Hop is Dead, Nigger, all dropped in the last 10 years. My main point was that using artist not on their list, I can come up with 10 better than Nelly. Of course I have Eminem number 1, I'd say TI number 2, Outkast gets highly underrated. But Nelly still doesn't touch my top 10, Drake neither. Jeezy and Luda to me have a spot, 50 Kanye, but Nelly doesn't do it for me. Never had. In 2001 when this board opened up, I can never remember a time when anyone listed their top 10 of that year, and Nelly came up. If he was top 10 in most peoples list that year, how at the end his top 10?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
As far as relevance goes, Jay-Z should have been on this list as well. The whole Nas-Jay-Z feud, The Blueprint, The Black Album, that song with Linkin Park. Jay-Z didn't reach legend status until this period.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:46:34 PM »
Everybody on that list has been relevant within the last 3 years; sorry Nelly.

Nelly shouldn't be complaining though; being on "best rapper list" in 2010 means you're probably terrible lol.

Knett

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
if they meant most popular, then Nelly probably should have been included.
[/quote]

This.
Also, I really don't think Nas or Immortal Technique has been that relevant to the hiphop community, as far as music goes.
With Nas I feel like it's been the same thing over and over, and Immortal Technique.. he's a real conscious rapper, but that guy's really a matter of taste.

However, a rapper who has successfully released a double album, and still has some evolving music, I can only praise.

Ice Cube is hot but I really can't see him anywhere in my top 10 album. If he had only released his 2006 album, he would have been, but Raw Footage and I Am The West just didn't do it for me, except for some singles.
I do agree Big Boi should be in this list. I wouldn't list 3000 because I feel he needs to drop a single album.

But anyways, who else thinks the right side of that list should be left off? Luda yes, but Jadakiss was only successful in the first couple, the rest of 'em are just starting to buzz (if you look at longevity, 5 years is a short period for BEST RAPPER).
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU</a>

StrEiht Up Menace

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • i hav a massive dick
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 06:11:20 PM »
Jadakiss & Eminem dont deserve to be on that list

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Nelly is a rapper in the sense of his techniec but he's not an MC.  When he was in the booth on The Deal with Consequence he murdered it but Nelly never rapped like that on an album, not even "Country Grammar" (I brought the album tho lol).  He was always Pop and he helped carve out that niche' but it was never really Hip Hop Hip Hop.  That's how he sold his product and that's how he tailored his artists and Singles.  It's too late now unless Nelly drops albums until his 50's from now on that are strickly what Hip Hop albums are all about.  

Like for example if you were to compare somebody who has the same content and image like Ludacris or even Bow Wow and you compared them with Nelly you can see right off of the bat that they are different types of artist even though they are identical.  So with all of that said that's why you can't include an artist like Nelly in the top rappers.  

And yeah no bullshit, I don't even know why they included JadaKiss, Eminem, and Lil' Wayne on there either.  I guess it was to give them their props but they could've gotten them anywhere else some other time.  So what if you evolved into the artist you are today, if you started out in the 90's then you shouldn't be eligible.  They could've replaced them with Boosie, Saigon and a couple other niggaz too.  They might as well should've put Cam' Ron on there too.  Drake set a whole new standard to Hip Hop and changed the way people Rap today (major, mainstream, or you doin' it yourself just for the fuck of it drunk, high, sober, at work, whatever - Drake changed the way we Rap in our everyday lives whether it's barely noticable or a complete Swagger Jack.  I would've taken off Eve, she was only hot for a couple years, Nicki Minaj should've been on there.  

Update:

If you were to put Nelly in your top 10 you might as well put Lil' Jon (& Tha Eastside Boyz) in there too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:13:25 AM by - BLANK - »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:45 PM »
If I had to do a top 10 in the last 10 years (as I said, that was not my true top 10 as I listed 10 rappers NOT on the list better than Nelly, not my top 10) then it would look like this:

1.  Eminem - highest selling artist, brought true hip-hop to the mainstream
2.  Nas - beat Jay-Z in the early 2000's battle, YOUNGER than Jay-Z and has a whole era named after his album (Hip-Hop is Dead)
3.  TI - I originally had him number 2, but I think Nas was just a little better, TI dominated Hip-Hop in a era when Hip-Hop was not selling. The only platinum artist in 2006.
4.  Jay-Z - The Blueprint trilogy,the Black Album, Jay-Z was on fire throughout most the decade. Had he won the battle with Nas, easy number 2.
5.  Andre 3000 - Outkast was at it's best, and 3000 was leading the way. The Love Below was a pure classic, and Skankonia showed 3000 at his best.
6.  Lil' Wayne - Respect where respect is due, as the decade played on, Wayne stepped up his game and was a beast on the lyrics.
7.  50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying, enough said. On that album alone 50 gets in the top 10, he started to fade out but he set image of a rapper for the media.
8.  Ludacris - Consistent, Luda produced hit after hit after hit. He may not get recognized, but his word play and wit truly stand out.
9.  Kanye West - My personal favorite, I may have under-ranked him because of that. Not a true emcee but he is the best artist of the decade.
10. Young Jeezy - Almost went with Common, but Jeezy was killing it late in the decade and represented the South, which was the dominated region.

Okay, I challenge anyone to tell me Nelly is better than anyone in that top 10.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:06 AM »
If I had to do a top 10 in the last 10 years (as I said, that was not my true top 10 as I listed 10 rappers NOT on the list better than Nelly, not my top 10) then it would look like this:

1.  Eminem - highest selling artist, brought true hip-hop to the mainstream
2.  Nas - beat Jay-Z in the early 2000's battle, YOUNGER than Jay-Z and has a whole era named after his album (Hip-Hop is Dead)
3.  TI - I originally had him number 2, but I think Nas was just a little better, TI dominated Hip-Hop in a era when Hip-Hop was not selling. The only platinum artist in 2006.
4.  Jay-Z - The Blueprint trilogy,the Black Album, Jay-Z was on fire throughout most the decade. Had he won the battle with Nas, easy number 2.
5.  Andre 3000 - Outkast was at it's best, and 3000 was leading the way. The Love Below was a pure classic, and Skankonia showed 3000 at his best.
6.  Lil' Wayne - Respect where respect is due, as the decade played on, Wayne stepped up his game and was a beast on the lyrics.
7.  50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Trying, enough said. On that album alone 50 gets in the top 10, he started to fade out but he set image of a rapper for the media.
8.  Ludacris - Consistent, Luda produced hit after hit after hit. He may not get recognized, but his word play and wit truly stand out.
9.  Kanye West - My personal favorite, I may have under-ranked him because of that. Not a true emcee but he is the best artist of the decade.
10. Young Jeezy - Almost went with Common, but Jeezy was killing it late in the decade and represented the South, which was the dominated region.

Okay, I challenge anyone to tell me Nelly is better than anyone in that top 10.

Nelly had a way bigger impact than Young Jeezy. 21 Million albums sold has to count for something.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:20:53 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

Knett

• 'G'
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 09:18:25 AM »
I really think Nas isn't that relevant any more.. I mean, before 2005 he had some dope shit but after that he couldn't impress me the way he did.. I think he's done. Listen to the collabo album with Damian. He is almost useless on that album.
Also, I'm European, and the only airplay Jeezy got was Soul Survivor and maybe another song.. I think Jeezy is alright and everything, but he raps on songs.. he doesn't MAKE songs like Nelly does..

Lucifuge

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
Jadakiss & Eminem deserve to be on that list..rest is just wtf?
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
I really think Nas isn't that relevant any more.. I mean, before 2005 he had some dope shit but after that he couldn't impress me the way he did.. I think he's done. Listen to the collabo album with Damian. He is almost useless on that album.
Also, I'm European, and the only airplay Jeezy got was Soul Survivor and maybe another song.. I think Jeezy is alright and everything, but he raps on songs.. he doesn't MAKE songs like Nelly does..

i think we can all agree to disagree with opinions and such but to say Jeezy only raps on songs and doesn't make a song is bullshit.  just like u said, u've only heard a SMALL selection of songs by Jeezy and don't get me wrong, I'm not callin' Jeezy some type of God (even tho he should be credited as a Trend setter and he should also be credited with the introducing the "new" America (this generation and the 1 before it) to Trap Music [which is a sub genre of Hip Hop you can say, not officially but it's official].  I have no doubt in my mind if Jeezy would've released "Trap or Die" or "101" back in the late 90's/mid 90's that he would be closer in sales (16 Million easy).  2010 might notta been Jeezy's year but dude still hasn't fallen off like some niggaz have already.  Yeah it's a hypothetical but it's not far fetched either.

and plus Nelly selling 21/30 million records doesn't automatically make him 1 of the best (Hammer still sold more records than alotta muthafuckas and no slight to Hammer whut so ever).  like i was saying earlier, Nelly came in and pretty much has done nothing but POP music thruout his entire career.  the difference with him and Jeezy on this matter is that Jeezy still makes it Hip Hop whereas Nelly just makes straight up dance/rnb/pop music with barely enough hip hop influence in his material to call it Hip Hop (The New Kids on the Block and Nelly are pretty much the exact same artist except Nelly does it better and he's black lol).  Even with all of those records sold (and I give respect where respect is due easy) but Nelly doesn't have enuff clout to be considered a top MC of this decade.  Hip Hop beats don't make you a Rapper, you have to actually be a rapper and not just incorporate bits and pieces of it in your musik.  Features are 1 thing but an album is another.  And besides, what was Nelly's last BIG hit that was actually a hit and relevant to tha game (just in general)?  

Nas is still my guy but he's Old Skool, so that's why he doesn't seem as Hip and up to date like Jay or Snoop is and that's how we wants to carry himself and his legacy.  He's Nas, he can't away unless the people start wanting him to.  I could see Nas as a figure like "Grandpa Hip Hop" for some reason lol.  Not like in a sense of an old fart tryna preach but like a kat with mad wisdom that the game needs (a better more broader version of whut KRS has failed to do over these past couple years).  10 years after Illmatic if u were a youngin just gettin into Hip Hop you could still bump and idolize Nas like he came out just the other day but 10 years after Criminal Minded you already had 2 be a hardcore fan of KRS1 to get into him.  Just bein' honest, I've never EVER seen a youngin (whether I knew him or her or I just happened to walk by or whatever) I've never seen em crank some KRS1, like u really have to head up North to hear some KRS1 or be around some niggaz in his 40's/50's to even be exposed to that type of shit.  And I'm sorry if I come across as a "hater" or whatever u wanna call me but it's tha truth.  KRS was too preachy and didn't even have REAL skills to still back his shit up, but Nas is like literally the complete opposite of whut I just said and that's whut makes Nas a little more relevant.  But I do kinda agree with whut u'r saying tho.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:46:45 AM by Loud Pack »