Author Topic: World Premier: Bishop Lamont: The Shawshank Redemption/Angola 3 [Download Now]!!  (Read 3660 times)

• Muthafuckin' OG
lovin this 8)

is Home a true story about how his mom got shot? :'(

and what is the pause in Affirmitive Action?, and the voice sample gets annoying

Portugoal

I listened to the Dre tracks and the Quik track, but all three are disappointing.
"Rain" - not nearly as good as some of the replies suggest.
"Change Is Gonna Come" - Bishop sounds alright over the beat, but it doesn't need a rapper. This should've been a solo song from Mike Ant. His voice is perfect for this beat.
"The Preformation" - once again a disappointing beat from DJ Quik :(

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
maaan, this album has so much potential...too bad that it sounds so fucked up! bishop needs to hire some professionals...not necessarily big budget pro's but ppl with know-how about the craft...

i'm sure he has access to these people, but this is a free project.

as an ARTIST i'd have the standart to make my art sound the best way possible, even if it's a free project. why would u put so much energy and effort into somethin if the result sounds like shit?
kendrick lamar is the best example of how it should/could be...

well i think the songs he puts on street albums weren't worth enough to keep for a retail album, but worth enough to be released.

00X2X

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Just Like Team America Tape, The mixing/mastering Sucks on this to.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/rW6GVvOgcsY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/rW6GVvOgcsY</a>

shu

exactly for Team America and Pope Mobile the mixing/mastering were bad  the quality was horrible same situation with this project !
i think CALTROiT and the Confessional were better than Angola 3
what do you mean about the mixing and mastering for this street album ? rebel the feedbacks are good ! :-\

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Sadatay is great.  

I.W.P & I Like Yo Face, Bitch are borderline amazing if they're meant to be comical tracks, that's to say, he's mocking those type of tracks.  If it's a serious attempt at that kind of track - failure.

lmao they are obviously a fail if you cant even tell. A song doesn't go from fail to amazing based on the artist's intent. Either it works or it doesn't.

Yeah, it does.  If they're meant to be funny they're great.  If they're meant to be taken seriously, they suck.  It's like Relaspe.  If it was a concept album, it's amazing.  Once Eminem admitted it wasn't, it was ass.  Artist intent does matter.  It's their art and it stands for something.  There's plenty of songs that come out and until the artist speaks on it, it's interpreted differently. Take Drake's Best I Ever Had, most people assumed it was a love song, he said it was a comical song.  Most people felt differently. 

Lol, and I remember making fun of you when you said that about Relapse. You are truly a sheep if a song goes from amazing to crap because of one comment the artist makes about it. Did you enjoy the music? What meaning did you find in it? That's whats important, not a rapper leading you by the hand and telling you what to think. Especially for these Bishop Lamont songs since all we have is a couple people speculating. Even if those songs were intended as a parody, they obviously failed at their intent since you can't even tell.

If Soulja Boy came out now and said Crank Dat was intended to be a parody of watered down pop songs, it wouldn't change a damn thing about the song. It would still be just as horrible.

Vice Versa, there are many classics in rock that the artists have later admitted they pretty much made up the lyrics to confuse people. It doesn't change that they are classics. What's important is what the music audience gets out of it and how they react to it.

I happen to think they are a parody.  I was purposing the question to see other people's opinion.  Just because I interpret something one way, does not mean I'm right (nor does it mean I'm wrong). 

Intent matters and I happen to think it does for most people.  If you found your favorite rapper was actually talking about sucking dick, 5 to 1 you won't like the song or the artist anymore. 

As a listener of music I can enjoy it on a personal level which happens to include reflection of the artist intent.  If an artist rights random lyrics with the intent of them being random then good.  They're random so you can make up whatever you want of it.  That doesn't reflect on the situation here.

A great artist is measured beyond influence but intent and skill. 

Besides, I don't even think Crank Dat is horrible.  It's a club song and it effectively succeeded it's purpose.  It got people to dance and have fun.

Ultimately, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

I happen to think they are a parody.  I was purposing the question to see other people's opinion.  Just because I interpret something one way, does not mean I'm right (nor does it mean I'm wrong).  

What exactly makes you think its a parody? It sounds exactly like that type of song is supposed to sound. A parody of a pop song is supposed to be poking fun of that type of song and should have some indication that its a parody.

Intent matters and I happen to think it does for most people.  If you found your favorite rapper was actually talking about sucking dick, 5 to 1 you won't like the song or the artist anymore.  

If the artist intent is different than public perception then obviously the artist failed. If an artist wants me to believe a song is about something, there better be some viable logic to connect it. There's no hint that the pop songs on The Shawshank Redemption are parodies unless you're in shock thinking "oh I can't believe Bishop would make that type of song."

You can't go from thinking a song is amazing to thinking its trash based on intent. This is music, it doesn't work that way. If you didn't sonically enjoy the song, how would finding out its supposed to be a parody change that? At the very most you should go "oh, clever idea but it still sucks as a song."

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Duke, just accept that it does for me and get over yourself.  You're no more right or wrong than I am.  Move on. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

B.Lamont Fan

• Lil Geezy
At the beginning, I was really afraid, the first tracks were not really good. But as the album progresses, the level gets better.

But, i'm not a fan of songs like 'Wanted Man' or 'I like Yo Face Bitch'

After some listening, I like the album, but it could be beter without some tracks.

B.Lamont Fan

• Lil Geezy
And thanx Rebel for the two songs  ;)

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
Finally had the chance to get some weed, relax and give it a proper listen.
This album is dope to me. I dont listen to alot of hip hop mixtapes/free albums. But im sure it's way better than what any other rapper drops for free. Alot of the tracks here easily compete with major albums fillers (like jayz, snoop,50...).
The rock songs...rock !
the reformation leftovers are amazing (rain, you aint fresh). The girl from "the new royales" has an incredible voice and King Karnov is a beast !! I wont even write about that preformation snippet cause i'm speechless. This track is on some next level, for real. How did Quick make this ? This is what detox has to sound like imo. Kurupt is perfect on this.... final version is gonna be even more insane.
I hope that snipet track and "blow your mind" will both be on the reformation.

The poppy/drunk/retarded club tracks had me cracking up. These "i like yo face" and "off the liquor" are suposed to and are very funny imo. These are actually one my favourite tracks, cause of the obvious irony in the lyrics which i find hilarious. Same for "WTP", so stupid but so fun ! Its even funnier coming from bishop, cause he's a very smart dude. He's just having fun with that bullshit rap without mocking anyone particularly.
Actually, what he spits on these tracks is the exact opposite of his real personality. But its not like he's selling out cause he's not acting as if he was serious. His voice sounds totally ironic.
Hollow eyes, rain, you aint fresh are examples of bishop being real, not meaning that he's "faking" on the club tracks.

I dont see where you find the mastering so bad ? Exept for last track, all is "fine" to me. The distorded voice on "wanted man" is well done to me.
Sadatay is the only track that i really disliked cause i have some problems with the beats, really annoying to me.
The sample in focus...'s beat is also a little annoying.
In general, the album is too long i have to say and has no concept. So i dont get the title of it. Its a great compilation of banging tracks anyaway. It shows bishop's versatility which is huge.

any idea who produced the "robert king interlude" ?
does snoop's wife look like a man ? Cause in the track "homies girl", he says the girl was snoop's wife at the end, and then "i aint even know she was a girl". Sounded like a little shot at snoop imo.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:39:50 PM by da chronic »

The D.O.C and

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
So what do ya'll think after a few spins?

dnjp4life

The more I listen to 'Get Inspired', the more I think it is one of Bishop's best tracks.  That track is exactly as I envision the album to sound like in terms of production and deep and meaningful lyrics.  If it has tracks like that and 'Change Is Gonna Come' then I'll be pleased.

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!

i think Shout! is my favourite song from the tape. love that song. really like Home and Change Is Gonna Come too

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
not a bad street album, but it could have been better