Author Topic: World Premier: Bishop Lamont: The Shawshank Redemption/Angola 3 [Download Now]!!  (Read 3651 times)

• Muthafuckin' OG

I might upload Your Lover feat. Marsha Ambrosius (mp3) tonight or tomorrow.
cheers pimp!

shu

Best track :

get my gun
off the liquor
affirmative action
rain
home
hollow eyes
anything
get inspired
u aint fresh
we in here
change is gonna come
land of the free

BiggBoogaBiff

dope shit. some weak tracks. but i can bump it :)

that's why there's this version

01 - Land of the Free
02 - Wanted Man
03 - Get Em Girl
04 - U Ain't Fresh
05 - Blow Your Mind
06 - The Homie's Girl
07 - Get Inspired
08 - Anything
09 - Change Is Gonna Come
10 - Robert King Interlude
11 - Rain

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a270c8

that's the tracks u bump?

anyway, this release is amazing!!! Bishop is one of few from west that actually release quality tapes!

That is "Angola 3".  I took the best ones and put em all on 1 tape into a story/album.  I like other tracks on the whole project too but those were the 1's that fit Bishop the way we know him and some didn't sound right with it.  And how much can u actually listen to this album without getting too sleepy (it's a slow album in other words).  I added those other two tracks becuz it made sense to and plus it's just a more compact version that's better as far as quality quality is concerned. 

whipEr

FYI for those who have requests for Bishop for songs or dream collabs (e.g. Do Right mp3, I Dominate or collab with Em...etc). He actually posts on his Twitter and FB pages, for real. And he always tries to please fans, so...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bishoplamont
http://twitter.com/BishopLamont

Just don't send PMs... you need to post directly on his wall and tweet...etc.

Rebel, can u upload "I Dominate" and ask for "Let ya thang on" snippet or smth pls? I dont have twitter :/ ty vm

BiggBoogaBiff

Honestly I'm feelin some sorta way about that "Change Is Gonna Come" track and that's a good thing.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
is there an album sampler for this?
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

BiggBoogaBiff

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:21:24 PM by Loud Pack Shawty »

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
MP3 for Your Lover (Bishop Lamont feat. Marsha Ambrosius)
http://usershare.net/022ryxdophnw

MP3 for No Equal (Bishop Lamont feat. Focus)
http://usershare.net/3zyak2bdz8ws

NOT a YouTube rip  8)

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
Been anticipating the hell outta this, considering all the Reformation cuts, so i'll break it down track by track and give my thoughts (won't include ratings since everyone cries about them):

01) Martin Luther King Intro
Bishop always has the illest intros, and although this is just a sample with some heavy background ambience from Focus, it still gets the job done and I really liked it. Only thing I thought was that it doesn't really fit the theme of the album, as I felt it was much more suited for Nigger Noize or even Pope Mobile.

02) Wanted Man (ft. Chin)
Some experimental shit here from Bishop, who has always liked to experiment. I don't really feel this track too much, but can imagine some others really liking the rock/rap mix. Production and feature were good for what they were, but the mixing was BRUTAL!!! I mean, I know they were trying to make Bishop's voice sound distorted, but the vocals were WAY too low and more distorted than they should have been. Even with headphones I found the lyrics extremely hard to hear.

03) Get My Gun (ft. Kellen The Criminal & T-Wiz)
Now this track was nice! Production was on that Team America/Pope Mobile sound with a great hook and I even liked the features. One of the better tracks on the (street) album. This is exactly what I was expecting from this and perhaps some Aftermath shit here? Sounds like it was made a few years back, but whatever it's a sick track.

04) Affirmative Action (ft. Focus...)
Like any song that samples the shit out of the same 1-2 second sample over and over again, it can get real annoying, but since this is by Focus you know it'll be good, or at least decent. It's a pretty decent song and a good follow up to the last track. Not much else to say about this one, nothing amazing, but not bad at all.

05) I Like Yo Face Bitch
I know Bishop wanted to make a pop/mainstream track here, like some others on this, but this track just sucked. Beat was trash, verses were matching the shitty theme of the song and the hook was also pretty stupid. One of the worst on the tape, maybe the worst Bishop song i've ever heard. Definately not the way to make a pop track.

06) Off The Liquor (ft. Willie B)
Bishop goes into a west coast/pop sounding track here that actually works pretty decently. He's got that lazy flow going pretty hard here, that some people will absolutely hate, but I don't mind it too much. Hook is alright, beat is better than it could have been, but overall it's decent at best. Drums were real cool on this one though, on that Nigger Noize tip.

07) Rain (ft. Liz Rodrigues)
By far the best song up till this point, a Reformation cut from 06/07, and supposedly one of the better tracks at that point if I recall correctly. Beat is your typical 06/07 Dre beat with the dark pianos and heavy bass matching the drums. The rain/storm sound in the background was a sick addition and the hook was very well done. Mixing is also classicly done by Dre, what else would you expect though. But Bishop is by far the highlight of this track. One of his best tracks i've heard in terms of lyrics, where he basically tells of a story when he gets a little fucked up at weird ass party (Did someone say that that story was true? If so, that's pretty fucked up, but I doubt that ending was true. Or maybe I gotta hear it some more times). Either way, one of Bishop's best tracks i've ever heard, and although not something you'd bump in the whip, it's still on a different level.

08) I.W.P. (ft. Indef & The Artist Caps)
Going from Rain to this was pretty hard to do since that track was incredible and this is going the pop/comedy route. Kind of a mix of both. Not nearly as bad as "I Like Yo Face Bitch" though, and it is a lot more listenable, but still didn't like it. Was pretty much a joke song though with Indef and Bishop back on their Team America shit, talking about some ridiculous ways to party, over a darkish whiny beat. For what it was, decent at best.

09) The Homies Girl
So ya, by this point you know this tape isn't going to touch any of his previous shit. This isn't a bad song at all though. A typical Diverse beat (if you know him, on an East Coast sound) with some alright verses from Bishop, speaking of messing with his homies girl. I actually liked this one, but it's not on the level of some of the others i've liked so far.

10) Shout!
Another experimental-type track here, on a bit of a comedy tip as well. Guitars, hand-claps and hard drums make the beat, which turns out better than it should have. I liked this one for what it was, but Bishop's verses were very good here (don't know if there was a hook), talking about living in America and all the good/bad shit that comes with it. Liked this one, but like the last one, wasn't one of my favorites.

11) Home (ft. Dave Green)
This one is up there as one of the better tracks up till this point. Bishop going over his life story which he is, as always, great lyrically when he wants to be. Beat is great as well, on some chill/story-telling shit. The hook was probably the best part, this Dave Green did an amazing job there. Second best track at this point, great track! Can listen to this over and over, album material.

12) Hollow Eyes (ft. Anjulie)
Pretty much everything I just said about the last track can be said about this one. Bishop reflects on his career this time over story-telling, jazz-like beat. I really liked the hook, but Bishop's verses were amazing, telling of all the bullshit of the industry (with some small shots at Aftermath/Interscope). Another great track, can't decide between this one and "Home". Maybe this one since it's longer and has a 3rd verse. Now THIS is what the album should sound like!

13) Anything (ft. Ryu & Mike Anthony)
A pretty good follow up to the last two story-telling tracks. Nothing great here, but a good song nonetheless. It's a mellow beat and a pretty good hook from Mike Ant, with some good verses as well. Not much else to say, a good track, maybe from his Aftermath days?

14) Get Inspired (ft. Bo-Key & Mike Anthony)
The intro track from Reformation if I recall correctly, and was highly regarded, like Rain. Unlike Rain though, this one doesn't captivate me nearly as much. Definately a good chilled-out RnB sounding track though, just not sure about this being "one of the better Reformation tracks". Lyrics are, as usual, great and Bokey/Mike Ant do a very good job here. At this point, the tape is sounding a lot more like a Bishop street album.

15) You Ain't Fresh (ft. Dave NY, Diverse & DJ Gemini)
The long-awaited, controversial Reformation cut is finally dropped! I personally loved that live snippet, but just wish he would have kept with those Game lyrics. I know they weren't the real lyrics (he made them up at the time), but whatever, great track! It sounded better in the snippet (doesn't everything?) but King Karnov does his thing here, as he always does. Bishop rips apart the industry and the current music scene (too bad he has a few of those "types" on here). Hook is cool, and this track serves it's purpose. I just think it should have came out at the time as most people didn't really freak out over it as much this time around. Still, a great Bishop track, one of the best on here, and one of his better tracks overall.

16) We In Here (ft. Chevy Jones)
Beat sounds a bit like some Khalil shit here, but it's pretty good regardless. Seige is a really good new producer, watch out for him. Bishop has a good flow going on, don't care much for the lyrics, and Chevy does a good job for the hook. It's pretty much a club track with a West Coast vibe, not much else to say. I liked it, but not one of the better tracks on this.

17) Sadatay (ft. Shennie)
So Bishop goes back to the mainsteam shit, with an annoying ass repetetive beat (don't expect this shit from Diverse), lazy flow and cheesy lyrics. I like this one better than the shitty "I Like Yo Face Bitch", but that's not saying much. This one wasn't good at all, and i'm being lenient on that. To Bishop's credit though, he was making songs like this for years (Africa was similar, but 100000 times better).

18) Robert King Interlude
An interlude of one of the dudes involved in the Angola 3, speaking on freedom and his beliefs. I'm not sure if this is just a sample or whatever, but it serves it's purpose being here. Too long though, but the beat was defintaely fitting (which I think is by Seige), liked this interlude.

19) Land Of The Free (ft. Robert King)
Hard hitting drums, pianos, smooth bass and a decent samples make the hot Seige beat on this great track. It's nothing to bump in the car (I don't think anything on this is, unlike Bishop's previous shit) but it's a good politically/racially driven track that very well could have been a part of Nigger Noize. Robert King talks on the hook. I like this one, one of the better tracks, probably a real grower.

20) Hood PSA (Word From Young Deon)
Another interlude about similar topics (struggle, freedom, racism, etc). I liked this one as well, with a real ill beat, only complaint being that there was a similar interlude only 1 track before this. Should have spaced them out much more than this, but nothing to really complain about. Beat was the best part about this, maybe Dre or Focus?

21) Change Is Gonna Come (ft. Mike Anthony)
The second Dre track, which nobody knew about. Obviously from the 06/07 time, it's alright for a Dre beat. Some won't like it, but that's understandable. Chimes, soft drums & bass make the beat and Bishop on his '07 vibe as well. Not sure if this was on The Reformation (I know he and Dre did a lot of shit). More political rap here, but it's great and one of Bishop's best lyrical tracks. Mike Ant does a good job as well. This one is definately a grower, gets better everytime. You see, if all these good tracks were here and all the shitty/decent tracks were removed, this would have been just as good as The Confessional.

22) The Preformation (ft. RBX & Kurupt)
The grand finale, and as you can tell by RBX on the intro, it was clearly for the Reformation, but unfinished (WHY??!). The beat is insanity, I didn't expect Quk to come with some shit like this. But the mixing was BRUTAL on this one, and was clearly unfinished. What a waste though, Kurupt absolutely kills it. If mixed right, and completed, this could have been fuckin insane. Way too bad! The mixing is brutal, but at leeast if there was a Bishop verse it could have been better.

Overall, Bishop has still shown that he has it. Even without the Aftermath tracks, his lyrical and story-telling ability is just as good as ever. It's his production/feature/hook selection that's really making the difference, but I guess that's going to happen when you leave the best rap label out there. While close, it's not on the level of The Confessional or Nigger Noize. Many tracks were very good, some were just amazing, and I do believe this could have been just as good as his previous shit if he had selected his production better, not tried to go pop on some of the tracks, and stuck with the producers/features that his best work comes from (which is what two thirds of this is). That being said, it's on par with Pope Mobile, maybe better, and it's still better than most other shit out there, which is typical of Bishop.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
This shit is too ill.  Some of the tracks are wack but  I can't tell if he's making fun of southern club tracks or if he's trying really hard at creating one.  It definitely needs better mixing but beyond that Bishop still got it.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

SAINTX111

• 'G'
The quality is kinda sucky.... wish it was sharper. First thing I noticed off the bat...

dnjp4life

I've listened to it almost once over and I've got to say I'm enjoying it a lot.  I'd probably rank it somewhere between The Pope Mobile and The Confessional.

The best track on there is clearly the Dre produced joint with Mark Anthony on the chorus, real smooth and one of the most simple, yet best Dre beats in recent times.  I also really like the Lord Finesse produced cut, the song Land of The Free and the joint with the what sounds like an Arab chanting all over!

My only criticism is that the mixing and mastering could have been a bit better, and there are a few too many 'party' type joints for my liking.  But other than that it's a decent mixtape.  8)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Been anticipating the hell outta this, considering all the Reformation cuts, so i'll break it down track by track and give my thoughts (won't include ratings since everyone cries about them):

01) Martin Luther King Intro
Bishop always has the illest intros, and although this is just a sample with some heavy background ambience from Focus, it still gets the job done and I really liked it. Only thing I thought was that it doesn't really fit the theme of the album, as I felt it was much more suited for Nigger Noize or even Pope Mobile.

02) Wanted Man (ft. Chin)
Some experimental shit here from Bishop, who has always liked to experiment. I don't really feel this track too much, but can imagine some others really liking the rock/rap mix. Production and feature were good for what they were, but the mixing was BRUTAL!!! I mean, I know they were trying to make Bishop's voice sound distorted, but the vocals were WAY too low and more distorted than they should have been. Even with headphones I found the lyrics extremely hard to hear.

03) Get My Gun (ft. Kellen The Criminal & T-Wiz)
Now this track was nice! Production was on that Team America/Pope Mobile sound with a great hook and I even liked the features. One of the better tracks on the (street) album. This is exactly what I was expecting from this and perhaps some Aftermath shit here? Sounds like it was made a few years back, but whatever it's a sick track.

04) Affirmative Action (ft. Focus...)
Like any song that samples the shit out of the same 1-2 second sample over and over again, it can get real annoying, but since this is by Focus you know it'll be good, or at least decent. It's a pretty decent song and a good follow up to the last track. Not much else to say about this one, nothing amazing, but not bad at all.

05) I Like Yo Face Bitch
I know Bishop wanted to make a pop/mainstream track here, like some others on this, but this track just sucked. Beat was trash, verses were matching the shitty theme of the song and the hook was also pretty stupid. One of the worst on the tape, maybe the worst Bishop song i've ever heard. Definately not the way to make a pop track.

06) Off The Liquor (ft. Willie B)
Bishop goes into a west coast/pop sounding track here that actually works pretty decently. He's got that lazy flow going pretty hard here, that some people will absolutely hate, but I don't mind it too much. Hook is alright, beat is better than it could have been, but overall it's decent at best. Drums were real cool on this one though, on that Nigger Noize tip.

07) Rain (ft. Liz Rodrigues)
By far the best song up till this point, a Reformation cut from 06/07, and supposedly one of the better tracks at that point if I recall correctly. Beat is your typical 06/07 Dre beat with the dark pianos and heavy bass matching the drums. The rain/storm sound in the background was a sick addition and the hook was very well done. Mixing is also classicly done by Dre, what else would you expect though. But Bishop is by far the highlight of this track. One of his best tracks i've heard in terms of lyrics, where he basically tells of a story when he gets a little fucked up at weird ass party (Did someone say that that story was true? If so, that's pretty fucked up, but I doubt that ending was true. Or maybe I gotta hear it some more times). Either way, one of Bishop's best tracks i've ever heard, and although not something you'd bump in the whip, it's still on a different level.

08) I.W.P. (ft. Indef & The Artist Caps)
Going from Rain to this was pretty hard to do since that track was incredible and this is going the pop/comedy route. Kind of a mix of both. Not nearly as bad as "I Like Yo Face Bitch" though, and it is a lot more listenable, but still didn't like it. Was pretty much a joke song though with Indef and Bishop back on their Team America shit, talking about some ridiculous ways to party, over a darkish whiny beat. For what it was, decent at best.

09) The Homies Girl
So ya, by this point you know this tape isn't going to touch any of his previous shit. This isn't a bad song at all though. A typical Diverse beat (if you know him, on an East Coast sound) with some alright verses from Bishop, speaking of messing with his homies girl. I actually liked this one, but it's not on the level of some of the others i've liked so far.

10) Shout!
Another experimental-type track here, on a bit of a comedy tip as well. Guitars, hand-claps and hard drums make the beat, which turns out better than it should have. I liked this one for what it was, but Bishop's verses were very good here (don't know if there was a hook), talking about living in America and all the good/bad shit that comes with it. Liked this one, but like the last one, wasn't one of my favorites.

11) Home (ft. Dave Green)
This one is up there as one of the better tracks up till this point. Bishop going over his life story which he is, as always, great lyrically when he wants to be. Beat is great as well, on some chill/story-telling shit. The hook was probably the best part, this Dave Green did an amazing job there. Second best track at this point, great track! Can listen to this over and over, album material.

12) Hollow Eyes (ft. Anjulie)
Pretty much everything I just said about the last track can be said about this one. Bishop reflects on his career this time over story-telling, jazz-like beat. I really liked the hook, but Bishop's verses were amazing, telling of all the bullshit of the industry (with some small shots at Aftermath/Interscope). Another great track, can't decide between this one and "Home". Maybe this one since it's longer and has a 3rd verse. Now THIS is what the album should sound like!

13) Anything (ft. Ryu & Mike Anthony)
A pretty good follow up to the last two story-telling tracks. Nothing great here, but a good song nonetheless. It's a mellow beat and a pretty good hook from Mike Ant, with some good verses as well. Not much else to say, a good track, maybe from his Aftermath days?

14) Get Inspired (ft. Bo-Key & Mike Anthony)
The intro track from Reformation if I recall correctly, and was highly regarded, like Rain. Unlike Rain though, this one doesn't captivate me nearly as much. Definately a good chilled-out RnB sounding track though, just not sure about this being "one of the better Reformation tracks". Lyrics are, as usual, great and Bokey/Mike Ant do a very good job here. At this point, the tape is sounding a lot more like a Bishop street album.

15) You Ain't Fresh (ft. Dave NY, Diverse & DJ Gemini)
The long-awaited, controversial Reformation cut is finally dropped! I personally loved that live snippet, but just wish he would have kept with those Game lyrics. I know they weren't the real lyrics (he made them up at the time), but whatever, great track! It sounded better in the snippet (doesn't everything?) but King Karnov does his thing here, as he always does. Bishop rips apart the industry and the current music scene (too bad he has a few of those "types" on here). Hook is cool, and this track serves it's purpose. I just think it should have came out at the time as most people didn't really freak out over it as much this time around. Still, a great Bishop track, one of the best on here, and one of his better tracks overall.

16) We In Here (ft. Chevy Jones)
Beat sounds a bit like some Khalil shit here, but it's pretty good regardless. Seige is a really good new producer, watch out for him. Bishop has a good flow going on, don't care much for the lyrics, and Chevy does a good job for the hook. It's pretty much a club track with a West Coast vibe, not much else to say. I liked it, but not one of the better tracks on this.

17) Sadatay (ft. Shennie)
So Bishop goes back to the mainsteam shit, with an annoying ass repetetive beat (don't expect this shit from Diverse), lazy flow and cheesy lyrics. I like this one better than the shitty "I Like Yo Face Bitch", but that's not saying much. This one wasn't good at all, and i'm being lenient on that. To Bishop's credit though, he was making songs like this for years (Africa was similar, but 100000 times better).

18) Robert King Interlude
An interlude of one of the dudes involved in the Angola 3, speaking on freedom and his beliefs. I'm not sure if this is just a sample or whatever, but it serves it's purpose being here. Too long though, but the beat was defintaely fitting (which I think is by Seige), liked this interlude.

19) Land Of The Free (ft. Robert King)
Hard hitting drums, pianos, smooth bass and a decent samples make the hot Seige beat on this great track. It's nothing to bump in the car (I don't think anything on this is, unlike Bishop's previous shit) but it's a good politically/racially driven track that very well could have been a part of Nigger Noize. Robert King talks on the hook. I like this one, one of the better tracks, probably a real grower.

20) Hood PSA (Word From Young Deon)
Another interlude about similar topics (struggle, freedom, racism, etc). I liked this one as well, with a real ill beat, only complaint being that there was a similar interlude only 1 track before this. Should have spaced them out much more than this, but nothing to really complain about. Beat was the best part about this, maybe Dre or Focus?

21) Change Is Gonna Come (ft. Mike Anthony)
The second Dre track, which nobody knew about. Obviously from the 06/07 time, it's alright for a Dre beat. Some won't like it, but that's understandable. Chimes, soft drums & bass make the beat and Bishop on his '07 vibe as well. Not sure if this was on The Reformation (I know he and Dre did a lot of shit). More political rap here, but it's great and one of Bishop's best lyrical tracks. Mike Ant does a good job as well. This one is definately a grower, gets better everytime. You see, if all these good tracks were here and all the shitty/decent tracks were removed, this would have been just as good as The Confessional.

22) The Preformation (ft. RBX & Kurupt)
The grand finale, and as you can tell by RBX on the intro, it was clearly for the Reformation, but unfinished (WHY??!). The beat is insanity, I didn't expect Quk to come with some shit like this. But the mixing was BRUTAL on this one, and was clearly unfinished. What a waste though, Kurupt absolutely kills it. If mixed right, and completed, this could have been fuckin insane. Way too bad! The mixing is brutal, but at leeast if there was a Bishop verse it could have been better.

Overall, Bishop has still shown that he has it. Even without the Aftermath tracks, his lyrical and story-telling ability is just as good as ever. It's his production/feature/hook selection that's really making the difference, but I guess that's going to happen when you leave the best rap label out there. While close, it's not on the level of The Confessional or Nigger Noize. Many tracks were very good, some were just amazing, and I do believe this could have been just as good as his previous shit if he had selected his production better, not tried to go pop on some of the tracks, and stuck with the producers/features that his best work comes from (which is what two thirds of this is). That being said, it's on par with Pope Mobile, maybe better, and it's still better than most other shit out there, which is typical of Bishop.

Thank you for posting such a detailed review! +1

About The Preformation, that was just a snippet. The song is done, just needs to be mastered. It should be on The Reformation (GDNIAFT).

It's All About 18

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Album is dope. As usual Bishop's street albums never disapoint me. Hope there were hard copies of them.

But the mastering as always...  >:(

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
FYI for those who have requests for Bishop for songs or dream collabs (e.g. Do Right mp3, I Dominate or collab with Em...etc). He actually posts on his Twitter and FB pages, for real. And he always tries to please fans, so...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/bishoplamont
http://twitter.com/BishopLamont

Just don't send PMs... you need to post directly on his wall and tweet...etc.

thanks!

nice review Shopping carts: i totally agree with you about the 'pop' songs, it's ironic

About The Preformation, that was just a snippet. The song is done, just needs to be mastered. It should be on The Reformation (GDNIAFT).
interesting, thanks.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:08:48 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »