Author Topic: Wack Dre tracks on classic albums  (Read 1318 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Wack Dre tracks on classic albums
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
I'm not TOO worried about Detox having a so-so song on it at this point, because I think lots of classic albums Dre has been involved in have had
their fair share of just ok, or even wack tracks.
I think it's wrong to assume that Detox will have nothing but classics, because I think Doggystyle is the only album he's produced with no weak tracks...

Here's the tracks I think were wack or just aight on classic albums he had a hand in (off the top of my head) -

Straight Outta Compton -
"Something 2 Dance 2" - pretty wack

Eazy-Duz-It
Some not so great tracks on here

Efil4zaggin -
There's a bunch of just ok tracks on this, with pretty dope beats, but not stand-outs, kinda a lot of filler

No One Can Do It Better -
Some kinda corny stuff on here, but of course amazing stuff as well

100 Miles and Runnin -
The title track is great, the others are just ok, imo

The Chronic -
"A Nigga With a Gun" and "Rat-a-tat-tat" - I do love these tracks now, but they took a long time to get into for me
"Stranded on Death Row" - dope as a posse cut, but the beat isn't as good as some of the others

Murder Was the Case -
"Harvest for the World" - pretty wack

2001 -
"Big Egos", "Light Speed", "Bitch Niggaz", "Murder Ink", "Some L.A. Niggaz", "Ackrite" - just ok, some of those are filler to me
"Let's Get High" - wack

For Teh Lulz

• 'G'
  • No , not really.
Re: Wack Dre tracks on classic albums
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
for an album to even be considered as a classic there can't be any 'wack' or 'ok' tracks on there.
CAN I HAZ D;

Jimmy H.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:13:33 PM »
Stranded on Death Row? You think that was a wack track?

acgrundy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
you lost any credibility imo for saying stranding on deathrow is anything less than amazing

If you took the absolute best track made in rap music over the past 10 years...I mean the one track that you think stands above all else, shot it with steroids, it still couldn't compete w/ stranded on deathrow.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
fail thread.. i understand that you want to fade Dre since Detox is actually comin, but tellin that those track u mentioned from "2001" are whack or those The Chronic ones its just bad..

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
Damn Dude....Stranded on Death Row is a classic for real..So what if it is a posse cut... Also, the only joint on 2001 i might give u is "Let's Get High"...It's just such a simple beat but it jams though..The rest of them joints u named are dope as hell.. The only time DRe has made some questionable joints to me is when he works with Em sometimes...To many to name but it just seems like they be fuckin around in the studio sometimes.  No hate for Em by the way. I just think Dre changes/switches up his style to suit Eminem to often.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
What's funny is I didn't even read those 2001 comments, that "Stranded On Death Row" comment just killed it for me. To me that song is like a Dr. Dre highlight reel in terms of bringing out the very best in young, unknown rappers. There's nothing weak about it at all. I wish there were producers out nowadays who could put out a posse cut like that and give such a polished sound to such raw lyricsim.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
This thread is confusing lol. So is the track wack because of the lyrics or the beat?

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
for an album to even be considered as a classic there can't be any 'wack' or 'ok' tracks on there.

Lol, there are like a million examples of that not being true in rock, hiphop, jazz, country, etc. albums

Go and listen to "Something 2 Dance 2" from Straight Outta Compton and you'll see what I'm talking about.

fail thread.. i understand that you want to fade Dre since Detox is actually comin, but tellin that those track u mentioned from "2001" are whack or those The Chronic ones its just bad..

Fail comment - I'm a big Dre fan, but come on, in reviews of 2001 it was noted for having loads of filler, that's why Dre wanted Detox to have fewer tracks

you lost any credibility imo for saying stranding on deathrow is anything less than amazing

It's dope because it's a posse cut, as I said, but come one, the beat isn't that amazing - it's basically an ok east coast beat and doesn't fit with the other beats that well

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
Damn Dude....Stranded on Death Row is a classic for real..So what if it is a posse cut...

I said it's good because it's a posse cut... but just the beat on its own, it isn't the best beat in the world. It's better than anything out today, sure, but comparitively, it's not as dope a beat as the rest of the Chronic

Also, the only joint on 2001 i might give u is "Let's Get High"...It's just such a simple beat but it jams though..The rest of them joints u named are dope as hell.. The only time DRe has made some questionable joints to me is when he works with Em sometimes..

Man, you need to go back and listen to earlier Dre stuff then - did you dig the beats he did on JJ Fad's Supersonic album?

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
What's funny is I didn't even read those 2001 comments, that "Stranded On Death Row" comment just killed it for me. To me that song is like a Dr. Dre highlight reel in terms of bringing out the very best in young, unknown rappers. There's nothing weak about it at all. I wish there were producers out nowadays who could put out a posse cut like that and give such a polished sound to such raw lyricsim.

DJ Paul and Juicy J have done this numerous amount of times since 1992's The Chronic album.  just 4 tha record.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
I said it's good because it's a posse cut... but just the beat on its own, it isn't the best beat in the world. It's better than anything out today, sure, but comparitively, it's not as dope a beat as the rest of the Chronic
Am I really the only one who just gets pissed about people who think PRODUCTION is just the beat? I don't care about comparing instrumentals. Am I ever going to being listening to Dre Day and Stranded From Death Row at the same time? Probably not. The job of the producer is to come up with music that best compliments the lyrics that the artist or artists is laying down and in many cases, coach that artist on how to bring the right cadence, delivery, etc. In my opinion, "Stranded" has the perfect instrumental for the material. It compliments it perfectly. 

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 02:15:24 PM »
Am I really the only one who just gets pissed about people who think PRODUCTION is just the beat? I don't care about comparing instrumentals. Am I ever going to being listening to Dre Day and Stranded From Death Row at the same time? Probably not. The job of the producer is to come up with music that best compliments the lyrics that the artist or artists is laying down and in many cases, coach that artist on how to bring the right cadence, delivery, etc. In my opinion, "Stranded" has the perfect instrumental for the material. It compliments it perfectly. 

To me, the vocals are awesome, the overall idea of the track is awesome, the beat is cool, but just a little underwhelming to me,
it was the only beat on there that didn't hit me when I first played the album,
and because there was a lot of dope stuff coming out in '92 from the east coast, it always sounded too much like a regular east coast beat to me,
when the rest were all so dope because they were on some new shit

The Chronic isn't the best example of what I'm talking about though, because it's harder to pick out a "weaker" track
Straight Outta Compton is more what I mean, where Something 2 Dance 2 is a pretty wack track, but the album is still a classic

So with Detox, I'm saying that even if you think Kush isn't so great, Detox can still be a classic provided there are a handful of really, truly amazing tracks on it

k-dogg

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
I got your point on the early stuff but i guess i just give Dre a pass on the JJ Fad shit and even some of the early NWA shit. Just my opinion but it is after NWA that I think Dre moved into another level as a producer. I'm not changing the subject but when Death Row was established, I think Dre just moved into another zone..Having said that, you have a point about the early Dre work.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »
did you even read the first sentences?  :P

To me, the vocals are awesome, the overall idea of the track is awesome, the beat is cool, but just a little underwhelming to me,
it was the only beat on there that didn't hit me when I first played the album,
and because there was a lot of dope stuff coming out in '92 from the east coast, it always sounded too much like a regular east coast beat to me,
when the rest were all so dope because they were on some new shit

The Chronic isn't the best example of what I'm talking about though, because it's harder to pick out a "weaker" track
Straight Outta Compton is more what I mean, where Something 2 Dance 2 is a pretty wack track, but the album is still a classic

So with Detox, I'm saying that even if you think Kush isn't so great, Detox can still be a classic provided there are a handful of really, truly amazing tracks on it
we're probably a minority, but i don't like the instrumental either