Author Topic: Wack Dre tracks on classic albums  (Read 1316 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Wack Dre tracks on classic albums
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »
Hahah automatic thread fail for bringing up The Chronic and 2001. I was under the impression those albums were loved because of their consistency.

Hahah automatic comment fail for not knowing that 2001 was criticized in many reviews for being overly long (Master P albums around that time started that trend of filling the entire CD with as many tracks as would fit) and so having a bunch of filler tracks

No actually it wasn't. If anything it was criticized in some reviews for the lyrical content. Thread fail since no one agrees with you. You may have had a point if you had stuck to Dre's earliest work.

Also I disagree with your idea of what filler is. Every album has some songs that are stronger than others. That's the whole point of singles. Good songs are not fillers. Fillers are songs that you could do without listening to. But a lot of the songs you mentioned are songs that are loved by people. You apparently dislike some Dre songs that are classic to the rest of us.

last time i checked, you stated that 2001 was overrated  :P

One of the worst threads i have seen. I understand u not liking a track but calling it wack is ludicrous.
oh come on, it's not that bad.
i give props to UCC, as he's not scared to express his opinion( even though i don't agree with everything)
some posters on here always act so sensitive when it comes to their favourite artists/songs
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 11:15:15 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
No actually it wasn't. If anything it was criticized in some reviews for the lyrical content.

Lol - first two reviews I look up mention it -

The Source review: "a little disjointed and too long"
Allmusic review: "Padded out to 22 tracks, 2001 isn't as consistent or striking as Slim Shady"

Also I disagree with your idea of what filler is. Every album has some songs that are stronger than others. That's the whole point of singles. Good songs are not fillers. Fillers are songs that you could do without listening to.

No, singles are the songs that are meant to become hits on their own and draw attention to the album. Good album tracks are not filler... filler tracks are filler... I think you need to understand what filler means.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
i give props to UCC, as he's not scared to express his opinion( even though i don't agree with everything)
some posters on here always act so sensitive when it comes to their favourite artists/songs

Thanks yo
The funny thing is, the whole point of the thread wasn't to diss Dre, as everyone seems to be misreading it as,
I don't even expect everyone to agree on which particular tracks were the filler ones, or which albums have filler tracks...

It was just to point out that some of Dre's best work is amazing and classic even with tracks that aren't all that,
so one so-so track for Detox (Kush) doesn't mean the album is ruined, because there are albums that have weak tracks that are still classics

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »
a nigga wit a gun and rat a tat tat.......

when first read this thread I thought he was saying those were the best songs on the chronic and that is what i agreed with......
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

teecee

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 11:33:34 AM »
for an album to even be considered as a classic there can't be any 'wack' or 'ok' tracks on there.

Completely untrue; in fact, this is only in the last 10 years or so that this philosophy has developed.

Classic= timeless, game-changing, groundbreaking, IMPACT.  it is entirely possible for an album to fit those attributes while still having a few OK tracks.

I loved 2001 as a whole, but some tracks WERE average.

Classic albums are not always flawless, and sometimes flawless albums aren't classic.

Paul

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

One of the worst threads i have seen. I understand u not liking a track but calling it wack is ludicrous.

Your right that was an overreaction. People need to realise the difference in not liking a track and it being "wack". I dont like rock music for example but because i dont like it doesnt mean its all "wack"

There is nothing on The Chronic and 2001 that is below average but i can understand why people wont like some of the tracks.
funkyfreshintheflesh

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »
I'm not TOO worried about Detox having a so-so song on it at this point, because I think lots of classic albums Dre has been involved in have had
their fair share of just ok, or even wack tracks.
I think it's wrong to assume that Detox will have nothing but classics, because I think Doggystyle is the only album he's produced with no weak tracks...

Here's the tracks I think were wack or just aight on classic albums he had a hand in (off the top of my head) -

Straight Outta Compton -
"Something 2 Dance 2" - pretty wack

Eazy-Duz-It
Some not so great tracks on here

Efil4zaggin -
There's a bunch of just ok tracks on this, with pretty dope beats, but not stand-outs, kinda a lot of filler

No One Can Do It Better -
Some kinda corny stuff on here, but of course amazing stuff as well

100 Miles and Runnin -
The title track is great, the others are just ok, imo

The Chronic -
"A Nigga With a Gun" and "Rat-a-tat-tat" - I do love these tracks now, but they took a long time to get into for me
"Stranded on Death Row" - dope as a posse cut, but the beat isn't as good as some of the others

Murder Was the Case -
"Harvest for the World" - pretty wack

2001 -
"Big Egos", "Light Speed", "Bitch Niggaz", "Murder Ink", "Some L.A. Niggaz", "Ackrite" - just ok, some of those are filler to me
"Let's Get High" - wack

all classic joints !!!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:28 AM »
tbh i don't think it's possible for an album to be flawless, as opinion can vary so much

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
a nigga wit a gun and rat a tat tat.......
when first read this thread I thought he was saying those were the best songs on the chronic and that is what i agreed with......

How into Hip-Hop were you when the Chronic dropped?

One of the main problems people had with Nigga With A Gun was the samples it used - the chorus and bassline.
Beastie Boys had used the exact same bassline sample on their single "Pass The Mic" like 6 months before the Chronic dropped, as one of the main elements, so it kinda took away its freshness.
Also, the chorus sample had been knocking around for a while, Big Daddy Kane used it on "Mister Cee's Master Plan" from 1988. It felt a bit generic compared to the
other tracks, so did Rat-A-Tat-Tat.

Lots of people have said the second half of The Chronic isn't as good as the first half -
Allmusic review: "and if The Chronic has a flaw, it's that Snoop's relative absence from the second half slows the momentum"

I love those two tracks, don't get it twisted, but the rest of the Chronic was very fresh, and those two tracks sounded like older NWA, Efil4zaggin tracks
They're still doper than pretty much everything today, but in context...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »

Thanks yo
The funny thing is, the whole point of the thread wasn't to diss Dre, as everyone seems to be misreading it as,
I don't even expect everyone to agree on which particular tracks were the filler ones, or which albums have filler tracks...

It was just to point out that some of Dre's best work is amazing and classic even with tracks that aren't all that,
so one so-so track for Detox (Kush) doesn't mean the album is ruined, because there are albums that have weak tracks that are still classics

you're welcome.

yeah i understood your intentions immediately, but some clearly judge a book by it's cover.
sure, you could have picked a different title, but it wouldn't solve the fact that some don't bother to read properly.

Your right that was an overreaction. People need to realise the difference in not liking a track and it being "wack". I dont like rock music for example but because i dont like it doesnt mean its all "wack"

There is nothing on The Chronic and 2001 that is below average but i can understand why people wont like some of the tracks.
good point, but i think that's just UCC's way of stating that he dislikes certain songs

Will_B

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2010, 02:02:02 PM »
People need to realise the difference in not liking a track and it being "wack". I dont like rock music for example but because i dont like it doesnt mean its all "wack"

Right. That's like saying De La Souls '3 Feet High And Rising' isn't a classic because the skits are wack (because you don't like skits on albums).

Personal taste and musical appreciation are 2 different things.

Playano

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:10 PM »
"Stranded on Death Row" if ya don't give this song 10/10 ya don't love westcoast gangsta rap!

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2010, 08:49:11 PM »
Hahah automatic thread fail for bringing up The Chronic and 2001. I was under the impression those albums were loved because of their consistency.

Hahah automatic comment fail for not knowing that 2001 was criticized in many reviews for being overly long (Master P albums around that time started that trend of filling the entire CD with as many tracks as would fit) and so having a bunch of filler tracks

No actually it wasn't. If anything it was criticized in some reviews for the lyrical content. Thread fail since no one agrees with you. You may have had a point if you had stuck to Dre's earliest work.

Also I disagree with your idea of what filler is. Every album has some songs that are stronger than others. That's the whole point of singles. Good songs are not fillers. Fillers are songs that you could do without listening to. But a lot of the songs you mentioned are songs that are loved by people. You apparently dislike some Dre songs that are classic to the rest of us.

last time i checked, you stated that 2001 was overrated  :P

Its one of my favorite albums. But I appreciate it for what it is. Gangsta pop. Some people were complaining about Kush not being a lyrical masterpiece and forgetting that Dre albums are never about being lyrical. Lyrically overrated? Without a doubt considering some of the comments people were making. I don't try to hype my favorite albums up as something they're not.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:53:04 PM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »

Its not an overreaction considering the thread is titled "wack Dre tracks on classic albums." None of those songs should have been mentioned.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2010, 02:29:35 AM »
People need to realise the difference in not liking a track and it being "wack". I dont like rock music for example but because i dont like it doesnt mean its all "wack"

Right. That's like saying De La Souls '3 Feet High And Rising' isn't a classic because the skits are wack (because you don't like skits on albums).

Personal taste and musical appreciation are 2 different things.
last time i checked, UCC appreciates Dre's music & like a lot of it.
he's actually optimistic about Detox (had to repeat it)