Author Topic: Quincy Jones put Kanye West in his place  (Read 1022 times)

Elano

Re: Quincy Jones put Kanye West in his place
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 11:01:28 AM »
the guy who compared Kanye wit Quincy, should slit his throat wit his Kanye CD..  :-*

do u think Justin Timebrlake is more important/sonically talented than Marvin Gaye?

what has quincy jones produced lately that even rivals what kanye has done 01- 2010 ?

LMFAO  :laugh:

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 11:02:39 AM »
My guess is that Quincy Jones takes into consideration that the majority of Kanye's work, mostly his early work, is heavily based on sample use. Quincy is known for producing, orchestrating and arranging records that are mainly driven by live instrumentation. I love both producers, I mean to each his own...I don't think Quincy was trying to knock him, I guess he's just implying their styles and methods are completely different. I've read interviews where Timbaland comes off kinda like Quincy did, a little arrogant...more of an old school mentality, I guess. It's funny, the last two records I copped were actually Quincy's and Kanye's.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
Quincy owns all.

Muhfukka

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »
Some of you are stupid lol. Of course there is no comparison and I work in the industry but don't know who Quincy Jones is  ::)  Get real

I'm just saying he does sound like a douche in that interview. Didn't need to diss Kanye like that. He could have been more subtle.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Some people on here really make me wonder sometimes..lol

Quincy Jones > God.

Listen to "Angel" on L.A.X. & tell me that sounds different from the original song it was sampled from lol.

Kanye is great, don't get me wrong; but "he's just a rapper, there is no comparison".

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
1st off he didnt put Kanye in his place, he was just separating himself.... similar to what Eminem had to do when he 1st hit mainstream.
also this thread is pointless when its for a bunch of kids to read. To them Fruity Loops making them Dr Dre, sampling makes them Kanye, Designing myspace pages makes them CEO's.

thnx for the read, very good thread. 8)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:04:20 PM by Native American »
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Elano

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »
1st off he didnt put Kanye in his place, he was just separating himself....

ok ::)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 08:57:40 PM »
I can't even begin to.... Oh, good lord, is this serious? Are people really gonna bring in the question of current pop music relevance with this? It's like saying Michael Bay can be in the same group as Stanley Kubrick because "what was Stanley's last hit"? Sorry, but you people can't be for real. Like somebody else said, if we're gonna compare Kanye with anyone, start with Dr. Dre. 

oh... wacko jacko ( yeah i said it). the latest shit he's done for michael pales in comparison to an album like thriller.

Well, um, don't know if you know this but just all those post-Jackson 5 Michael songs that literally made him into the biggest pop star in the fucking world where produced by Quincy Jones. Many of them were written by Quincy. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
God Bless Quincy.

He's not full of himself, but he does sound insulted, as well he should. Here is a guy who spent his life with musical theory and instrumentation and learned how to produce it in every which way, and to compare him to a new age frooty loops beatmaker is ridiculous. Quincy could probably tell you how a piece of music should be recorded and produced by simply reading the notes of each page.

If I were James Cameron and spent my life studying film and how to create images that tell a story and someone compared me to a youtube skit maker that made it huge, like Andy Samberg, I'd be offended too.

Kanye isn't a music producer in the true sense of the term. You could not put Kanye with musicians the same way you could Quincy. Kanye is an artist that creates his own art, but that doesn't make him a great producer, whether or not his own art is great or not.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
I don't even think the Cameron comparison would be appropriate either. Cameron's film career goes back to the 80's, Quincy's been making music since the 50's.

And for the record, Quincy himself addressed this. Here's what he had to say:

“I have nothing but respect for my little brother Kanye and what he has achieved in his young career and I look forward to watching his evolution as an artist. There is a reason why we put him on the new We Are The World 25 for Haiti – he’s a great rapper. But having been in the music business for more than 60 years and having been fortunate to accomplish what I have over that time, it’s not unreasonable to put a comparison of Kanye at this time in his career and myself into the proper perspective. This is not dissing Kanye, this is simply trying to express that I’m not a rapper! I don’t need to take anyone else’s props away from them. Let’s all just try and keep the record straight.”

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 09:33:29 PM »
I would agree that it's better to compare Kanye to Dre, not QJ. If you compare Kanye to Quiny Jones, it better be Quincy Jones III, or QDIII, his son. Even Kanye would agree though. His at least not going to compare himself to Quincy, I've heard Pete Rock but not Quincy.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
It's funny how a lot of people on this board would go ape shit at a Pac-Lil Wayne comparison but they can get comfortable with Kanye-Quincy Jones?

Elano

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Quincy could probably can tell you how a piece of music should be recorded and produced by simply reading the notes of each page.

fixed  ;)

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »
didnt put kanye in his place..put the interviewer in his place

Elano

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 04:12:31 AM »
didnt put kanye in his place..put the interviewer in his place

he put kanye in his place, because kanye thinks to be more than just a producer/rapper....