Author Topic: Nas & Damian Marley album and Kanye West albums are the best albums of 2010  (Read 950 times)

Anunikke

Re: Nas & Damian Marley album and Kanye West albums are the best albums of 2010
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
If those are the best albums you have heard I'm assuming they are the only albums you've heard.

Name me hip hop albums that you think are better that came out this year ?  ::)

In defense of this guy, even though I'd say "Mood Muzik 4" & "Raw" are better than both of these albums, yeah..how about people start naming albums that are better.
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Leftfoot: The Son Of Chico Dusty
Brotha Lynch Hung - Dinner & A Movie
DJ Muggs Vs. Ill Bill - Kill Devil Hills
Reflection Eternal - Revolutions Per Minute
Black Milk - Album Of The Year
Kurupt - Streetlights
SKyzoo & !llmind - Live From The Tapedeck

I said "better" than these albums. Not name everything you listened to this year to show off your musical range & variety. I'm a huge Royce fan and Bar Exam III was good, but better than the two named in the thread? Na.

I'm not even a fan of Big Boi's album, but a majority of people here like it, so I'll keep it's name up due to relevance and popularity.

For the OG post, I don't agree that these are the best, but they are two of the better.
No those albums are just better.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »
It's a great album by Kanye, but easily his worst besides 808's. Without doubt will not be a standout album in Kanye's pretty large & great career. That's an absurd statement by all means.

MBDTF is easily better than Graduation. Also I'm pretty sure it will be a standout album considering it got both an XXL and 5 Mics.

I don't believe so. Graduation is my favorite Kanye album.

But it will not be standout because it's lacking those standout songs (& personally, that replay value). Power was his least popular single. You can think it's better, but that doesn't mean it will be remembered as better.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 07:16:37 PM »
It's a great album by Kanye, but easily his worst besides 808's. Without doubt will not be a standout album in Kanye's pretty large & great career. That's an absurd statement by all means.

MBDTF is easily better than Graduation. Also I'm pretty sure it will be a standout album considering it got both an XXL and 5 Mics.

I don't believe so. Graduation is my favorite Kanye album.

But it will not be standout because it's lacking those standout songs (& personally, that replay value). Power was his least popular single. You can think it's better, but that doesn't mean it will be remembered as better.

Since when are standout albums defined by the popularity of their singles?  ;)

Only time will tell how the album will be remembered. You can think Graduation is better, but that doesn't make it so. And for you especially, considering how your opinion can flip flop (think Recovery), I would wait several months before doing a comparison.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 07:17:50 PM »
Cham, time will PROBABLY prove you wrong.

I respect your opinion on Budden's album but your perspective that Ye's album won't be remember seems really absurd.  This is PROBABLY the landmark move in Kanye's career just like Slaughterhouse will PROBABLY be the landmark career in Buddden's, Royce's, Crooked's, & Ortiz's.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
^
this

Cham I respect your hip hop taste, but not when its about recent shit. You change your opinion so much lol.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 08:40:40 PM »
^So when I tell you I'm unbiased, that kind of proves it, no? Open minded enough to think & come to a completely alternative thought.

But that's not what I'm trying to prove, I'm was just saying..

ANYWAY, to answer both of you, I love Kanye's album. I believe it's Top 5 of the year, easy. You have to remember I'm talking about this album in comparison to his other albums, it won't be remembered. I don't feel that singles determine how good an album is, but to a broader fan of Hip Hop who casually listens to it, unlike people who follow it like us, this album will come & go for them. Where his older albums had standout singles & songs, for that matter. Really, what song on this album would you say would be throw on his "greatest hits"? Nothing here "defines" Kanye, in my opinion; just good music throughout.

Personally, my favorite song is "Dark Fantasy", but I wouldn't call it a classic, nor put it among Kanye's greatest songs. Just good ass music, from the vibe, to the beat, to even some of the lyrics. As some would say, it's a song "you can fuck with". & I feel similarly to a majority of the album. I can bump it, but doesn't sound like something I would be bumping years down the road; maybe a song or two, but not collectively as an album.

Action, you're a fan of "Encore", right? To you that was some of Em's best work? I can respect that, but you & me both know that it won't be remembered at all in comparison to "Recovery" & "Recovery" wasn't all that. But it did have two of the most successful singles in nearly a decade. Therefore, down the road, people (the generalized public, not just pure Hip Hop fans) will remember "Recovery" for it's two well played out, major singles, opposed to Eminem's better album with much less remembered singles.

Not saying this album doesn't deserve to be remembered, it's really good, I just don't think it will be by a majority of people.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »
^
what are you on? Encore is considered one of his worst albums. Albums aren't remembered for the success of their singles, they are remembered for their quality. Case and point: any of these ringtone rappers.

A reverse example would be 2001 where none of those songs were hugely successful. Or any number of classic albums.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 10:10:45 PM »
While I can see how you might relate my personal preferences on Eminem's career compared to Kanye West's I think there's a dramatic difference.  One, I'm not arguing Encore will be more famous than Recovery.  I don't care if it is or if it isn't.  If anything Recovery deserves to be more remembered greater because it seems him either embracing his pop music influences (note: not "popular" music) or him selling out.  Either way, this album hasn't changed the game.  It's Eminem adapting to the game.

Kanye West's MBDTF, I predict, is a game changing album in hip-hop that transcends the genre and is simply art.  People will look back on this album in a similar fashion they look back on Andy Warhol's Maylin Monroe prints.  Granted this analysis is only as true as his next album release so that's to say if he takes the game to another level with his next album then this one will pale in comparison as Graduation, Late Registration, & College Dropout pale in comparison to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.   I honestly believe 808s & Heartbreaks SHOULD also be remembered in this fashion because it did change the game and was the necessary step to complete this album.  On a matter of influence, 808s shifted the industry and what people expected from a hip-hop artist.  Without 808s, many of the current artist we enjoy wouldn't have been able to break through.

Time will tell.  

Note: I hate to say this but I don't like talking about Eminem's career because he sells because he's white.  He's incredibly talented but the truth is if he wasn't white half of his sales wouldn't be there and he and everybody else knows this whether they'll admit to it or not.
- Banks

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
Kanye West's MBDTF, I predict, is a game changing album in hip-hop that transcends the genre and is simply art.  People will look back on this album in a similar fashion they look back on Andy Warhol's Maylin Monroe prints.

my dude  ;D

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 11:06:55 PM »
Albums aren't remembered for the success of their singles, they are remembered for their quality.

Obviously they have to be good, but once you have good albums, the memorable standout tracks is what separates them in terms of being remembered.

& neither of you answered the question I posed, which songs off this album will Kanye be remembered for? Which would make his "greatest hits" album if he dropped one as his next album?

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 11:25:04 PM »
Albums aren't remembered for the success of their singles, they are remembered for their quality.

Obviously they have to be good, but once you have good albums, the memorable standout tracks is what separates them in terms of being remembered.

& neither of you answered the question I posed, which songs off this album will Kanye be remembered for? Which would make his "greatest hits" album if he dropped one as his next album?

thats easy...power,monster, and all of the lights wuld make greatest hits

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »

Except not. Notice that's only the case for some albums. Some classic albums have standout songs like Straight Outta Compton. Some don't. Notice that OB4CL and Liquid Swords aren't remembered for any individual songs, but rather for their memorability as complete albums.

Also it seems kind of stupid to be debating possible classic songs less than 2 weeks after an album has dropped.  :D

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
I agree. Those two are the best hip-hop albums of 2010.  8)

There's one non hip-hop album better than those though.

Well.. why don't you name it?
Sorry, been away for a minute.

I didn't name it because I don't think anybody here will have heard it and if they have they will probably not have liked it. I'm talking about british pop group Take That's shockingly good electro pop album "Progress". An album that took me completely by surprise, since Take That have never really put out a truly great album before - great singles, but not albums. Any fans of pure pop should hear it. But if you don't like pop you're not going to like it.  :)

Anyway, my favourite Kanye album will probably always be Late Registration but MBDTF is definitely a sublime album. For some reason I never really got into College Dropout or Graduation. My third favourite Kanye album would be 808's. As for Eminem, I'm a huge fan, but Recovery was weak. I much prefer Relapse. The only joint off Recovery I still listen to is No Love and I can't stand Love The Way You Lie.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
There's such a stark contrast between the Eminem on Relapse and the Eminem on Recovery that I can't help to feel he "sold out" to help Interscope out.  The pop structure of the songs on Recovery don't feel genuine.  It he did not sell out but genuinely embraced his poppier side, it's really interesting to see his influences and, arguably, his growth.   There's hints of it in past albums but not on the level it was with this one.  Maybe it's a means to an end.  Like, you make us X money, you can sign Slaughterhouse & we'll put them on or whatever Eminem wants. 

Take a track like Won't Back Down with Pink, he's not really saying anything potent but it's dope because of delivery and how it parallels the beat.  Then there's a track like Cinderalla Man where the thunderous drums backed by a chanting chorus carries the song but he's providing content but it's not at all traditional for Eminem - it reminds me of U2 or a similar Arena Rock style.  The albums has it highs as demonstrated by these two tracks but then it has over the top melodramatic tracks where his content is powerful but unmoving because of it's drenched corniness - Going Through Changes & Not Afraid.  On top of the wack like W.T.P and arguably genuinely misguided attempts like On Fire (the redeemable aspect of the latter song is his self-awareness so eerily reminiscent of his lyrics on Encore; from the general awareness he's going to be criticized and to the more direct lyrics like
(verse 2) I just put a bullshit hook in between two long ass verses if you mistook the for a song - look, this aint a song it's a warning..."
). 

- Banks

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
You guys are hilarious.. Kayne west album gets XXL and 5 Mics. and you name some joe budden mixtape and albums such as Kurupt - Streetlights.. comon now... I had a good laugh this morning  8)