Author Topic: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip  (Read 1883 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
Here we go again…

Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.   
  Incorrect.  Daz signed with Dupri back in 2003. Between then and when So So Gangsta dropped in 2006, he dropped three solo albums, an extended LP re-release of an EP, and several other indy projects with his name attached. He did not go behind Dupri’s back. If Dupri had an exclusive contract with Daz as a solo artist, these releases would have been a violation of the contract and could be used as an excuse to either sue Daz, block the unauthorized albums from being released, or have him dropped from the label.

Your theory makes no logical sense. For JD to invest money into having the album released but intentionally cutting the promotion because he’s soar at Daz doesn’t work. He’s not gonna fuck up his own money just to spite his artist. Neither Dupri or the record companies are suckers enough to let Daz fuck them on points for four projects. Daz’s explanation at the time was that he only had a one-album deal on So So Def, which would explain why they waited all that time and continued to let him release projects through his own independent label. Given how things played out, this would seem to be the case.

Are you kiddin me? Kurupt was the big talk of Doggystyle with his verses and Dogg Pound "Dogg Food" was a huge mainstream album.   
  Everything Death Row was doing in that time was huge. Dogg Pound had built a strong following as being not only part of the label but as being Snoop’s clique. They were selling off the strength of that. Not unlike how members of G-Unit blew up off of how hot 50 Cent was in 2003-05.

Kurupt had a huge video and everything with "We Can Freak It" and he had "It's Over" all over MTV off Space Boogie and he had "Where I Wanna Be" video rotating with Shade Sheist, and he had "Behind The Walls" on MTV in full rotation with Nate Dogg.  All those were mainstream hits.
No, they were most certainly not. You have a hazy recollection of that time period, homie. This was literally at the height of my love for Kurupt music when I was preaching about him to everyone I knew and while they occasionally showed “It’s Over” and “Behind the Walls” on Direct Effect (MTV’s rap music program that aired after TRL), neither one was ever in regular rotation as a requested video. They were being pushed but they weren’t consistently part of the video countdown. I know because I would tape that show quite frequently hoping to get the “It’s Over” video after I saw it and they never played it so FULL ROTATION is a bit of an overstatement.

Daz's last hit was "Party People" ft. Jagged Edge which was supposed to be on 'So So Gangsta' and it didn't make the final album, the song was a huge radio hit but Daz never got to reap the longterm benefits due to his fallout with Jermaine Dupri.
Once again, you’re incorrect. It wasn’t a huge radio hit. It dropped in summer 2003 with limited airplay. I don’t even think it got a single spin in any North East markets. There was no fallout with JD. He popped up in the video for “Tipsy” with the rest of the roster, less than a year later.

Funny how Snoop, Too Short, E-40, Dr. Dre, and Game can make hits in any era of music and all these other rappers got a list of excuses

Game can make hits in any era? His discography of albums only spans about three years and change. In that time, his returns have diminished significantly on each album. He’s a popular rapper whose loyal fanbase has kept him relevant. You seemed to have that confused with being a record-breaking chart-topper who drops nothing but #1 hits.

Again, you seem to have trouble shaking the idea that your local market is the pulse of the national music scene. You think because a DJ at a club you frequent plays a song and people love it that that means it’s a national hit. There’s a level of delusion there. Of the artists you named the only one that can tour nationally and pull stadium and arena venues in nearly every market as a headliner is Dr. Dre. He’s the only one doing sell-out shows at major venues and to be fair, that was 10 years ago but I’d say given the level of impact he’s had and the interest he’s still able to generate, he could do equal or better if he decides to take “Detox” on tour.

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
Here we go again…

Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.   
  Incorrect.  Daz signed with Dupri back in 2003. Between then and when So So Gangsta dropped in 2006, he dropped three solo albums, an extended LP re-release of an EP, and several other indy projects with his name attached. He did not go behind Dupri’s back. If Dupri had an exclusive contract with Daz as a solo artist, these releases would have been a violation of the contract and could be used as an excuse to either sue Daz, block the unauthorized albums from being released, or have him dropped from the label.

Your theory makes no logical sense. For JD to invest money into having the album released but intentionally cutting the promotion because he’s soar at Daz doesn’t work. He’s not gonna fuck up his own money just to spite his artist. Neither Dupri or the record companies are suckers enough to let Daz fuck them on points for four projects. Daz’s explanation at the time was that he only had a one-album deal on So So Def, which would explain why they waited all that time and continued to let him release projects through his own independent label. Given how things played out, this would seem to be the case.

I don't want to stir this up but I did read on Daz's own site that Nate wouldn't let him use his tracks on So So Gangsta because Daz owed him $50,000 for hooks. Not sure if that's why 'Boyz N Da Hood' didn't make the cut, perhaps they got sorted (or that never should've made the news back then anyway) by the time of release and there was another reason behind it. A Nate track would've been potentially massive.

Daz's last hit was "Party People" ft. Jagged Edge which was supposed to be on 'So So Gangsta' and it didn't make the final album, the song was a huge radio hit but Daz never got to reap the longterm benefits due to his fallout with Jermaine Dupri.
Once again, you’re incorrect. It wasn’t a huge radio hit. It dropped in summer 2003 with limited airplay. I don’t even think it got a single spin in any North East markets. There was no fallout with JD. He popped up in the video for “Tipsy” with the rest of the roster, less than a year later.

Yeah but I gotta pull you on somethin, there was a fallout because Daz sent a bit Fucc U to JD on his Makaveli & Dillinger 2 tape last year. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know why that was anyway.

Game can make hits in any era? His discography of albums only spans about three years and change

Lol'd at that too ;D

BigNeckBone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Drama means nothing, it's part of tha game
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
All that I need was a hit or not ? Either way, that was a song with huge mainstream potential imo
<a href="http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://gifmaker.me/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2014022200kVp8nskXeGtIEO10TEVk7U&amp;file=output_XhDD0f.gif</a>

Jimmy H.

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
I don't want to stir this up but I did read on Daz's own site that Nate wouldn't let him use his tracks on So So Gangsta because Daz owed him $50,000 for hooks. Not sure if that's why 'Boyz N Da Hood' didn't make the cut, perhaps they got sorted (or that never should've made the news back then anyway) by the time of release and there was another reason behind it. A Nate track would've been potentially massive.
  Think you might have that mixed up from when Kronik, the guy who ran his site at the time, fielded a question about why Nate wasn't working with Daz and he made some comment about Nate wanting 50 G'z. I believe it was in 2003-04 because it was when 50 Cent came out and a lot of people on the forum mistakenly interpreted it as Nate wasn't working with Daz because of 50 Cent. 

Yeah but I gotta pull you on somethin, there was a fallout because Daz sent a bit Fucc U to JD on his Makaveli & Dillinger 2 tape last year. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know why that was anyway.
News to me but that still wouldn't indicate a fallout when he was actually on the label and making the record.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 01:47:33 PM »
JD got mad at daz cus he leaked alot of the stuff, recorded for the first version of "so so gangsta". there's 2 versions of "so so gangsta".
Daz kinda messed it up for himself on So So Def.. least what i heard..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:51:40 PM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
If Kurupt was the one signing to SoSO Def instead of DAz things would have been different! 

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
I still think if they had signed to Cash Money when they had the chance they could have blown up again.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »
I still think if they had signed to Cash Money when they had the chance they could have blown up again.

nah I dont think so , Tha Dogg Pound (Daz & Kurupt) are part of the 90s just like The Luniz , as a group they had one succesful album  and thats it, then Kurupt blew on his own  a little  but as a group thats pretty much it. Kurupt should work more with Pete Rock though , going back to his Philly ways could make him one of the best lyricist in hiphop..

Will_B

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 02:21:13 AM »
  Think you might have that mixed up from when Kronik, the guy who ran his site at the time, fielded a question about why Nate wasn't working with Daz and he made some comment about Nate wanting 50 G'z. I believe it was in 2003-04 because it was when 50 Cent came out and a lot of people on the forum mistakenly interpreted it as Nate wasn't working with Daz because of 50 Cent. 

News to me but that still wouldn't indicate a fallout when he was actually on the label and making the record.

You're probably right bout that first bit mate - I'll try and dig for the comment anyway as it's of interest :)

Check out that Mixtape it's floatin round online. Shame JD never did an interview talking bout any beef or whatever?

@imsohappy, what's the second version of So So Gangsta you mention? You mean that 'So So Unreleased' bootleg or one of the Sampler EP's that came out??

love33

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 07:38:03 AM »

Before you jump on Daz's side, I'm calling it down the middle, here's what happened: Yes, Daz did sign to So So Def but it was a ONE ALBUM DEAL.  Next, JD gave him the right to release albums on the side with the deal because they didn't know how long the album would take to produce and when exactly they would release it and JD didn't want to have Daz in a deal that would freeze his career for years with the thinking that when they did get around to releasing the album that Daz would want to promote it hard and not release a bunch of indy albums to water down the buzz.  Next, "Party People" featuring Jagged Edge was a HUGE hit in the LA Radio market, which is the third largest media market in the country, they played the track on POWER 106 constantly.  Next, there were A LOT of other tracks recorded for the album that didn't make the cut.  To name a few: "It's My Thang" ft. Kurupt (which was actually released as a single), "Git Drunk," "Do U Wanna," "Put That Chronic In The Air," "I'm Hot," "Boyz N Da Hood" (Nate Dogg track), "Smoke," "Now Datz Gangsta," "The One" (also featuring Jagged Edge and did make the final album but there's also a version that features T.I. and Cee-Lo), "Bigg O Butt," "We Mean Buziness," there's A LOT more but there's also a version of "All That I Need" that has Snoop and Kurupt on it.

Meanwhile, JD told Daz he was shooting for early 2006 and Daz releases two indy albums and starts promoting them in his interviews and so JD pushes back So So Gangsta to late 2006 so he can establish a buzz for his artist and build up anticipation, "Party People" had mad spins on the radio and even hit #1 in the LA Market, meanwhile Daz keeps promoting the indy albums in interviews then he drops Tha Dogg Pound “Cali Iz Active.”  JD gets pissed off and finally gives up (he can’t establish a buzz for an artist who keeps dropping indy albums).  He packages it with the minimal 12 tracks on it with minimal promotion and 1 single, drops it to get Daz off his contract and out of his way.  What could have been one of the biggest albums of the year ended up being a contract issue.

JD arranged for all these huge names like T.I., Rick Ross, and Jagged Edge and Daz got Ice Cube to do a track and JD even secured Scott Storch, the album was going to be a huge hit.  The singles were "Git Drunk," (produced by Scott storch) "Its My Thang" ft. Kurupt, "All That I Need," and "Boyz N Da Hood" with Nate Dogg.  JD and Daz get everything arranged and JD begins to build up the buzz for the album and books Daz for 106 and Park and a bunch of other hot spot venues.  Daz treated So So Gangsta as a pet side project where JD was lookin to give him the big mainstream push his career needed hence securing all the top names and producers. 

I'm not even going to go back and forth with you on the other shit because everyone who watched MTV back then saw "We Can Freak It" allover MTV and I remember myself seeing Kurupt on there with his former girl doing "It's Over" and the video was on MTV and so was "Behind The Walls."  Also, I remember "The Streetz Iz A Mutha" 1 or 2 tracks getting spins on the radio right around the Up In Smoke era.  To say Kurupt wasn't mainstream is senseless -- dude was mainstream in every sense of the word mainstream.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 11:34:36 AM »
In my humble opinion, Kurupt is the only one of these two who at least has the ability to become more famous again

Kurupt could do it and can have a great legacy because he is a very skillful MC, and he always has raw talent to fall back on,
if he wants to do more lyrical stuff again

Daz was never really a lyrical rapper, but he could sound cool back in the day, but that's not his strong point.
The problem with Daz is all his dopest production was either working with Dre or back when he was on Death Row and had
access to the best session musicians and the most expensive mixing facilities and everything to make his stuff.

Daz's thing now is hustling, putting out loads of product to sell a certain amount, he doesn't care about legacy I don't think,
and he could only get back to that standard if he's not just making beats on his computer at home, he would need the
full studio, musicians, etc.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
lmao delusional fucks

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »
lmao delusional fucks

so true. 

Kurupt was slightly "mainstream" 4 a second, he was just a "gangsta rapper" and he played his role (plus who didn't know who Kurupt was back in those days; early 00's). 

The whole Daz/JD situation was a conflict.  But I think the deal was more of a Promotion type of thing rather than trying to get Daz back on top of the Rap world again, I mean u gotta ask why, Daz was already an established name by then and didn't need anybody to make money or noise.  So with that said I believe whut tha real problem was was that JD wanted Daz to represent So So Def a little more than whut he was doing at tha time. 

But in 2011....no... nobody is making a comeback to tha forefront and none of em are even trying to do that.  They've got tha hits, they've got tha longevity, they've got tha fanbase (even tho some of u clearly don't know how to show your appreciation), and they've got "secure" money ("just makin it money 4 tha rest of my life" money or "i'm eatin straight til I die" money).  There's really no need 4 Tha Dogg Pound to try 2 get back into tha limelight like that at this point in their career (even tho I would addimently support it).  I think them niggaz are more concerned with getting old and getting fat at this point and raising grand babies lol (they deserve it). 

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 02:29:02 PM »
and they've got "secure" money ("just makin it money 4 tha rest of my life" money or "i'm eatin straight til I die" money). 
dont think so..

Blood$

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »
When DPG tried a new sound (Cali Iz Active for example) yall did not like it

When DPG goes back to their traditional sound (Dogg Chit, 100 Wayz, etc) yall say they living in the past

When DPG does not drop anything yall say man why don't they drop new music.

/end of thread