Author Topic: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip  (Read 1882 times)

Will_B

Re: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 01:32:12 AM »
There's really no need 4 Tha Dogg Pound to try 2 get back into tha limelight like that at this point in their career (even tho I would addimently support it).  I think them niggaz are more concerned with getting old and getting fat at this point and raising grand babies lol (they deserve it).

Good point. I think the whole classic lineup DPGC are more or less on that level. Look at Soopafly, he said years back he's not the dude to be in the forefront as an artist (let Snoop do that). He can sit back, make music, go on tour etc. You look at Rage and RBX on the recent videos of them chattin bout old days on MTV, they be chilled as fucc. I think with Terrace Martin leading the way with his new artists, most of these other cats are backseat commercially (meaning not wanting the promo grind & 24/7 soul selling of a studio artist).

They done that stardom bit before. However it's a shame for the OG's still frontline pushin - Warren G, Kokane, D.O.C., Goldie Loc etc., then the younger Bad Azz & Roscoe etc. These dudes are still in it but in an industry that's dying around them. Rap. The one that 'fans' (teeny bobbas too) killed with the mp3 wave. Why pay their for music anyway?

In an industry as monetarily as dead as this do you think an OG like the D.O.C. is gonna pen his best ever work? Hell no, not til people start buying music again in a big way. But thats another story :D

felipebtu

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 11:26:49 AM »
love33 not understand that there are artists who do not care to make tons of money to see their songs being played on Hot 97, Power 106, your videos on MTV, VH1 or BET, be top of the Billboard and etc ...

Dogg Pound Gangsta Clicca makes music for his fans and to themselves, they do not make music according to the owner of the label wants, or listen to any idiot who Britney Spears or Justin Bieber colcocar their music playlist on the iPod.

Not so they cease to be men of business and make money $ $ $, so much that they managed to keep their businesses because they took the money earned when they hit on Death Row.

In addition, they are recognized and respected wherever they go, from Compton to Harlem, from USA to China, respect and all the artists know their work.

(Just watch a video in which Chris Brown goes to the studio w / autograph request for Kurupt

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
and they've got "secure" money ("just makin it money 4 tha rest of my life" money or "i'm eatin straight til I die" money).  
dont think so..

Kurupt went bankrupt but I'm sure he's managed to get on his feet a little more by now (otherwise we probably would'nt have heard from him in a while).  And Daz always been makin' bread, atleast since 98'/99'.  I think Daz got more money than alot of rappers in tha game from his time.  All of those albums and songs he's released since leaving Death Row and dude probably has invested in side ventures too, I think Daz is sittin' on a nice piggy bank.  

What, he's sold about 300K albums (or more) since going Independent and making atleast $5 (minimum) off of a CD, that's money, that's good money 4 tha average muthafucka anyway, I don't think Daz has to pay anybody back, at least nothing super significant.  I don't wanna speculate on niggaz' bank accounts but I'm pretty positive that they all (tha whole camp) manages to keep more than their lights on every month lol.  

They might've not made any money while they were at Death Row but it's been a lifetime since then and they're still hangin' around, i think it's safe 2 say that it's not all bad for them.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:52:02 AM by Respect This Pimpin' »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »
I'm not even going to go back and forth with you on the other shit because everyone who watched MTV back then saw "We Can Freak It" allover MTV and I remember myself seeing Kurupt on there with his former girl doing "It's Over" and the video was on MTV and so was "Behind The Walls."  Also, I remember "The Streetz Iz A Mutha" 1 or 2 tracks getting spins on the radio right around the Up In Smoke era.  To say Kurupt wasn't mainstream is senseless -- dude was mainstream in every sense of the word mainstream.
  Well, whether or not you choose to "go back and forth" with me is on you but just because something gets spins on the radio or plays on a video network doesn't always make it a "mainstream hit". Kurupt did have a huge following in hip-hop at that time but he wasn't mainstream in the sense that he had crossed over to a pop audience like Xzibit. Real hip-hop heads fucking loved Kurupt back then but he wasn't a big radio/video star. 

love33

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 08:04:10 PM »
Why don't they rap like they did on "On tha Grind" or "What Would U Do"?? Daz needs to change his voice back to the first Dogg pound album and get it goin again.  Daz doesn't have the studio cause he's broke and so is Kurupt he claimed bankruptcy.  Nobody is buyin those side projects he's droppin they have no promotion and it costs big money to stamp out a cd that sits on the shelves cause people who do want it bootleg it.

love33 not understand that there are artists who do not care to make tons of money to see their songs being played on Hot 97, Power 106, your videos on MTV, VH1 or BET, be top of the Billboard and etc ...

Who "wouldn't" want to sell millions of records and make millions of dollars and have millions of fans or would you rather be an artist who nobody listens to and makes internet tracks and has no album sales?  Ask any artist that and they will tell you they want the money.  Every artist is shooting to be at the top, they aren't trying to be third or fourth place.  That cracks me up when fans make excuses for their artist losing and say "oh <insert rappers name> ain't tryin to be mainstream he's just tryin to please his real fanbase."  Eminem pleases his fanbase and sells millions of records.  DMX used to be himself and sell millions on all his releases.  I get a laugh out of that.  That's like sayin "oh the Lakers should just go play .500 ball cause they already won a couple championships and that's good enough." Same Difference.  Everyone wants to sell millions, be on the radio (radio gives more t-shirt revenue and increases exposure which means more concert tickets) then you make the Itunes $money$$ off those 0.99 cent tracks -- now what artist is goin to say they don't wanna sell records and make paper? get out of here with that lame excuse for these guys tankin their careers.

There's a little quote by Drake that describes these cats: "Niggas with no money act like money isn't everything"

I'm not even going to go back and forth with you on the other shit because everyone who watched MTV back then saw "We Can Freak It" allover MTV and I remember myself seeing Kurupt on there with his former girl doing "It's Over" and the video was on MTV and so was "Behind The Walls."  Also, I remember "The Streetz Iz A Mutha" 1 or 2 tracks getting spins on the radio right around the Up In Smoke era.  To say Kurupt wasn't mainstream is senseless -- dude was mainstream in every sense of the word mainstream.
  Well, whether or not you choose to "go back and forth" with me is on you but just because something gets spins on the radio or plays on a video network doesn't always make it a "mainstream hit". Kurupt did have a huge following in hip-hop at that time but he wasn't mainstream in the sense that he had crossed over to a pop audience like Xzibit. Real hip-hop heads fucking loved Kurupt back then but he wasn't a big radio/video star. 

"It's Over" and "We Can Freak It" were 'pop' in every sense of the word you defined it.  Now Streetz iz A Mutha was a raw.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »
Why don't they rap like they did on "On tha Grind" or "What Would U Do"?? Daz needs to change his voice back to the first Dogg pound album and get it goin again.  Daz doesn't have the studio cause he's broke and so is Kurupt he claimed bankruptcy.  Nobody is buyin those side projects he's droppin they have no promotion and it costs big money to stamp out a cd that sits on the shelves cause people who do want it bootleg it.

How does one change their voice back? I’ve heard of switching flows but generally speaking, if you don’t vocally sound the same over time, there ain’t much you can do about it. It’s like asking for somebody not to age.

And I would have to say that if they are continuing to press up these CD’s then there must be some money coming in from somewhere.

"It's Over" and "We Can Freak It" were 'pop' in every sense of the word you defined it.  Now Streetz iz A Mutha was a raw.
  Explain how defined it because I’m a little confused here.  And neither of those songs, despite their intentions, crossed over, so I’m gonna stand by my original opinion.

Who "wouldn't" want to sell millions of records and make millions of dollars and have millions of fans or would you rather be an artist who nobody listens to and makes internet tracks and has no album sales?  Ask any artist that and they will tell you they want the money.  Every artist is shooting to be at the top, they aren't trying to be third or fourth place.  That cracks me up when fans make excuses for their artist losing and say "oh <insert rappers name> ain't tryin to be mainstream he's just tryin to please his real fanbase."  Eminem pleases his fanbase and sells millions of records.  DMX used to be himself and sell millions on all his releases.  I get a laugh out of that.  That's like sayin "oh the Lakers should just go play .500 ball cause they already won a couple championships and that's good enough." Same Difference.  Everyone wants to sell millions, be on the radio (radio gives more t-shirt revenue and increases exposure which means more concert tickets) then you make the Itunes $money$$ off those 0.99 cent tracks -- now what artist is goin to say they don't wanna sell records and make paper? get out of here with that lame excuse for these guys tankin their careers.
Comparing a music artist to a sports team like the Lakers is not the “same difference” at all. Athletic competition is far more cut and dry. Entertainment is more catered to taste than talent. The outcome of a sporting event is based on the performance. The audience is just spectators. With music, an artist can excel on the technical level but no matter how great their work is if it doesn’t directly resonate with the public, it doesn’t matter. You can have an artist that has amazing vocal range and writes/produces all their own songs get outsold by a novelty act with a pretty face who uses Autotune and has all their songs ghost-written.

Of course, artists want to appeal to the biggest audience possible and get on as many radio stations and video markets as possible but it seems like you think it’s all just as simple as signing with a major and doing what so and so is doing. Fact is a lot of these mainstream artists that you see on videos and hear on radio probably aren’t making nearly as much money as you think. I think someone like Daz would make way more money independently than he would on a major label.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
I agree with Love33 about "wanting to stay at the top" but then not really.  You're talkin about niggaz that's pushin' 30 years in tha game who've ALREADY accomplished whut they set out 2 do in tha 1st place.  At this point it seems like it's more out of love then money (and u can tell by the type of music that they put out).  Why shouldn't they take a back seat at this point, most regular people would by now, I mean you're talkin about from 1989/1990-2011 of just str8 wakin up every mornin'--smokin'--makin music all day--eating--sleeping and doing it all over again, that's tiring and it gets kinda old no matter how much love u have 4 it.  U have 2 hit tha reset button at some point.

That's not a cop out or an excuse that's facts and if u can't see that then you should visualize yourself being their shoes 4 all that time.  Niggaz wanna do other shit in life besides making music even if it's something in the music realm, u have 2 understand that.  There's quite a handful of artist who could've maintained but fell back from it (look at Bishop Lamont).  I do feel u tho, becuz sometimes niggaz' fans do be delusional (Biggie fans for example, I'm sorry but he wasn't the greatest and before he died he was ALREADY going Pop which is something that hardcore hip hop fans hate for some reason).  Even Dr. Dre fell back from all of that rappin' he used to do and appearing on records (u can count on 1 hand how many verses tha nigga has done in tha past decade).

love33

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 10:59:30 PM »
Explain how defined it because I’m a little confused here.  And neither of those songs, despite their intentions, crossed over, so I’m gonna stand by my original opinion.

This Kurupt video is what you were referring to as 'pop' earlier...try to even make it through this whole video without getting a laugh, i remember when they rotated it on TRL

This was another 'pop' video fit the 97/98 video theme....Around the time period Luniz had 5 on it, B.I.G. Sky's The Limit, and Kurupt had 'We Can Freak It'....this was one of his best IMO

They used to play it on MTV Jams Countdown

How does one change their voice back? I’ve heard of switching flows but generally speaking, if you don’t vocally sound the same over time, there ain’t much you can do about it. It’s like asking for somebody not to age.
The technology is so good now you can pretty much adjust the pitch and tempo with the voice, I mean look at how Drake does it all the time.  Snoop's verse on the "Kush" track reminds me of a 92 Snoop the way Dre tweaked the tempo of his voice and adjusted the pitch.  The technology today is nothing less than spectacular.  Daz produced on All Eyez On Me, he should be able to use the modern technology and adjust his vocals.

Good Daz tracks: "Rock Wit Daz," "Me and My Cuzzin," "Git Drunk," "What Would U Do," "I Don't Like To Dream About Gettin Paid," "Bomb Azz Pussy," "On Tha Grind," "Mind On My Money"........the 2010 technology is even better than when those tracks came out but he came correct on those cuts -- he needs to take his time (2 or 3 years) secure a good deal and make a whole album like that and blow up.  I think Scott Storch could produce a whole album with Daz, he knows Daz's style and gets the most out of hiim...I like his flow/voice on "Dogg Food" and "Doggstyle" but he also sounded cool on R.A.W., now he's just plain sluggish with a lazy delivery and very few creative bars

Jimmy H.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 11:31:01 PM »
Even Dr. Dre fell back from all of that rappin' he used to do and appearing on records (u can count on 1 hand how many verses tha nigga has done in tha past decade).
Admittingly he's cut back a bit over the decade but one hand? He's done at least five guest spots on Eminem albums alone.

This Kurupt video is what you were referring to as 'pop' earlier...try to even make it through this whole video without getting a laugh, i remember when they rotated it on TRL 
I’ve seen the video before. I think you have TRL confused with Direct FX, the rap video show on MTV. It’s Over was never, to my knowledge, shown on TRL. And my only reference to “pop” was Xzibit crossing over to a pop audience.

Here is where I think the confusion kicks in. Videos/songs like “It’s Over” have pop music appeal but in order to be considered “mainstream”, they need to catch on with a wider audience. Mainstream doesn’t necessarily mean softer and more R&B-like. That’s how an artist may try to reach that audience but the music needs to actually catch on to that degree. I used Xzibit as an example, not because he started making poppier music but because in working with Dre, the audience for his music grew considerably.  So while Xzibit’s stuff was harder than what Kurupt did with “It’s Over”, it was also more mainstream because people were buying a lot more Xzibit albums.

The technology is so good now you can pretty much adjust the pitch and tempo with the voice, I mean look at how Drake does it all the time.  Snoop's verse on the "Kush" track reminds me of a 92 Snoop the way Dre tweaked the tempo of his voice and adjusted the pitch.   
  I don’t hear it at all.  Snoop sounds great on the record but his voice doesn’t sound anymore like Death Row era Snoop than it did on anything he’s done in the last 5 years.

love33

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »
Pop means Popular.  kurupt was making music for the pop crowd.  He also did some crossover stuff like the rock track he did with Everlast and the song with Fred Durst.  And he did the track "Gangsta Gangsta" with Chris Webber -- and he just did a new track with Dr. Hollywood.

As far as Snoop goes, his verse is fire it reminds me of 1992 classic West flow, I like how Dre pushed the tempo up on his vocals on this track compared to his other stuff like "Drop It Like It's Hot" "Sexual Seduction" or "Holidae Inn" with the slow lazy flow.

Elano

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2010, 01:13:13 AM »
E-40 and Too Short drop hit records from time to time that the masses loves to hear. 

LOL @ the masses

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2010, 06:35:24 AM »
Here we go again…

Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.   
  Incorrect.  Daz signed with Dupri back in 2003. Between then and when So So Gangsta dropped in 2006, he dropped three solo albums, an extended LP re-release of an EP, and several other indy projects with his name attached. He did not go behind Dupri’s back. If Dupri had an exclusive contract with Daz as a solo artist, these releases would have been a violation of the contract and could be used as an excuse to either sue Daz, block the unauthorized albums from being released, or have him dropped from the label.

Your theory makes no logical sense. For JD to invest money into having the album released but intentionally cutting the promotion because he’s soar at Daz doesn’t work. He’s not gonna fuck up his own money just to spite his artist. Neither Dupri or the record companies are suckers enough to let Daz fuck them on points for four projects. Daz’s explanation at the time was that he only had a one-album deal on So So Def, which would explain why they waited all that time and continued to let him release projects through his own independent label. Given how things played out, this would seem to be the case.

Are you kiddin me? Kurupt was the big talk of Doggystyle with his verses and Dogg Pound "Dogg Food" was a huge mainstream album.   
  Everything Death Row was doing in that time was huge. Dogg Pound had built a strong following as being not only part of the label but as being Snoop’s clique. They were selling off the strength of that. Not unlike how members of G-Unit blew up off of how hot 50 Cent was in 2003-05.

Kurupt had a huge video and everything with "We Can Freak It" and he had "It's Over" all over MTV off Space Boogie and he had "Where I Wanna Be" video rotating with Shade Sheist, and he had "Behind The Walls" on MTV in full rotation with Nate Dogg.  All those were mainstream hits.
No, they were most certainly not. You have a hazy recollection of that time period, homie. This was literally at the height of my love for Kurupt music when I was preaching about him to everyone I knew and while they occasionally showed “It’s Over” and “Behind the Walls” on Direct Effect (MTV’s rap music program that aired after TRL), neither one was ever in regular rotation as a requested video. They were being pushed but they weren’t consistently part of the video countdown. I know because I would tape that show quite frequently hoping to get the “It’s Over” video after I saw it and they never played it so FULL ROTATION is a bit of an overstatement.

Daz's last hit was "Party People" ft. Jagged Edge which was supposed to be on 'So So Gangsta' and it didn't make the final album, the song was a huge radio hit but Daz never got to reap the longterm benefits due to his fallout with Jermaine Dupri.
Once again, you’re incorrect. It wasn’t a huge radio hit. It dropped in summer 2003 with limited airplay. I don’t even think it got a single spin in any North East markets. There was no fallout with JD. He popped up in the video for “Tipsy” with the rest of the roster, less than a year later.

Funny how Snoop, Too Short, E-40, Dr. Dre, and Game can make hits in any era of music and all these other rappers got a list of excuses

Game can make hits in any era? His discography of albums only spans about three years and change. In that time, his returns have diminished significantly on each album. He’s a popular rapper whose loyal fanbase has kept him relevant. You seemed to have that confused with being a record-breaking chart-topper who drops nothing but #1 hits.

Again, you seem to have trouble shaking the idea that your local market is the pulse of the national music scene. You think because a DJ at a club you frequent plays a song and people love it that that means it’s a national hit. There’s a level of delusion there. Of the artists you named the only one that can tour nationally and pull stadium and arena venues in nearly every market as a headliner is Dr. Dre. He’s the only one doing sell-out shows at major venues and to be fair, that was 10 years ago but I’d say given the level of impact he’s had and the interest he’s still able to generate, he could do equal or better if he decides to take “Detox” on tour.

thanks. this was exactly what I was saying! DPG never made mainstream music period. their music sold well for a certain time because gangsta rap was popular, g-funk was popular. but please, even their hits can't be considered as mainstream rap music. And if you (love33) read my post more intently, you could've read that I admitted that Dogg Food was a huge success. But I explained why. And don't try to come with 2-3 singles like "We Can Freak It" or "Where I Wanna Be" (which was Shade's song anyway), those weren't big hits in the charts. They were rather popular, especially on the west, but they weren't really smash singles. Plus they got hyped a little bit again after 1999 when "2001" dropped and the Up In Smoke Tour was cracking. It was Dre who is responsible that their music got pushed a little more for 1-3 years again. But evr since they split up, there was nothing remarkable regarding the charts. Except the So So Def intermezzo of Daz, which was a great promotion failure, there was nothing close to a hit record. But I'm happy with it. To me Dogg Chit is their second best album.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »
I don't want to stir this up but I did read on Daz's own site that Nate wouldn't let him use his tracks on So So Gangsta because Daz owed him $50,000 for hooks. Not sure if that's why 'Boyz N Da Hood' didn't make the cut, perhaps they got sorted (or that never should've made the news back then anyway) by the time of release and there was another reason behind it. A Nate track would've been potentially massive.
  Think you might have that mixed up from when Kronik, the guy who ran his site at the time, fielded a question about why Nate wasn't working with Daz and he made some comment about Nate wanting 50 G'z. I believe it was in 2003-04 because it was when 50 Cent came out and a lot of people on the forum mistakenly interpreted it as Nate wasn't working with Daz because of 50 Cent. 

Yeah but I gotta pull you on somethin, there was a fallout because Daz sent a bit Fucc U to JD on his Makaveli & Dillinger 2 tape last year. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know why that was anyway.
News to me but that still wouldn't indicate a fallout when he was actually on the label and making the record.

You're probably right bout that first bit mate - I'll try and dig for the comment anyway as it's of interest :)

Check out that Mixtape it's floatin round online. Shame JD never did an interview talking bout any beef or whatever?

@imsohappy, what's the second version of So So Gangsta you mention? You mean that 'So So Unreleased' bootleg or one of the Sampler EP's that came out??

"so so gangsta unreleased" is a bootleg, made by some polish deathrow-website..
im talkin abut the first version of "so so gangsta", the advance.. but u can find many of the tracks on the "bootleg"-version too..

Will_B

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
Is that a genuine Advance though, or a fan made one? ;)

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
Yeah nobody tweaked Snoop's vocals or anybody's vocals... wtf are you talkin about lmao!  it's called "flow", technology doesn't have shit 2 do with it  ::)