Author Topic: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip  (Read 1896 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Daz and Kurupt letting their own legacies slip
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:51 AM »
You guys had it all wrong with the record sales, despite what you can read all over the internet RR&GB, and any Daz/Kurupt solo albums NEVER achieved any gold or platinum status. And you can check the official RIAA website where you can search their whole database. Try and type Kurupt or Daz and you won't find anything.

http://riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php

Now it seems like a lot of artists were lying about their own record sales. And that's not surprising because gangsta rap is built around showing-off and exaggerating.

Believe me, with the internet the game has changed, the reason Daz makes cheap albums with cheap packaging is because everybody is dowloading his shit, and none is buying except for a few loyal fans. It makes sense since he was one of the first to push his line heavily on the internet. When you promote your shit almost exclusively on the internet, the audience you're reaching will be more likely to go download your shit first than if you were promoting it on the regular other media. When he went independent in 99-00, he sold 40,000 RAW albums, and over 200,000 Dillinger & Young Gotti (again it's not reliable since he's the only source to rely on), nowadays even with heavy radio rotation and decent promotion he wouldn't probably do 200.

Here is my theory about Daz's career stalling. Daz has always been trying to stay relevant and to make money. Dude left Death Row because he realized that he was getting fucked in every angle by Suge when he was the most loyal artist of the label. He couldn't fuck with Snoop at the time because they were feuding so it eliminated the possibility to be signed on Doggystyle. Crooked I, who was in Daz's own word the future of rap, chose Death Row over DPG Recordz so he lost his biggest artist, and on top of that while his homie Kurupt was ballin with the rest of the crew on the Up in Smoke Tour he wasn't even invited. Daz then went to create his own avenue on the independent game because it was the more lucrative way for him. He knew that even if you were signed on the biggest label of the time (Death Row), it didn't mean necessarily fat checks but rather hardwork and very few releases. And Daz has always been a money-hungry motherfucker. Then, in this logic, Daz realized that the best option for him as a solo artist was to go independent. He already knew E-40 and them. Actually D-Shot is the one who showed everyone the ropes of the independent game, whether it's Nate Dogg or Daz. After R.A.W. he hooked up with JT Tha Bigga Figga. Now JT is the finest example of how you can make shitloads of money without even selling. JT is a millionaire without a single national hit and knows how to make independent money. According to him, Daz made 70 grands the first two days he was in the bay. From that point Daz realized the Independent game was really the way to go and that even by staying independent he could sell tons of albums. That's when he released Dilli & Gotti in 2001, after he had put out the first Daz & JT album. He probably made a lot of money with that project and on this album you can find hints of Daz's state of mind at the time. First of all the packaging wasn't cheap at all for an independent release. The package featured a glossy booklet which revealed Daz's intention to create a real label with nationwide ambitions with projects expanding from the Bay Area (with a compilation with DJ X-Tra Large) to the South (with an album hosted by his cousin from New Orleans). The album featured such names as Beanie Siegel and Xzibit. It shows you how much Daz tried to remain visible to the game. Over the years Daz has been linked with moves to Roc a Fella, Bad Boy, G-Unit, and more recently, Lench Mob Records.

I think it would be ludicrous to think that Daz was ever a mainstream act. The Dogg Pound were at one point. Kurupt is a household name but Daz isn't that much. Daz is known to people as the background guy who did a tremendous work at Death Row and who happens to be Snoop's first cousin. Yet if you look at Daz's career, he always tried to remain visible and collaborate with the hottest artists. That shows that he tried to get back in the corporate game to break big. When H-Town was hot he went to H-Town and did songs with cats like Lil Flip, Bun-B and Slim Thug. He is on Camron's 2002 album. He was on T.I.'s Urban Legend, I remember him saying on his website that he was to collaborate with Nelly and that he was in Shady Records' offices making beats for them. If you look at DPGC You Know What I'm Throwin Up booklet, he's shouting act all the mainstream acts of the days and especially 50 by saying Holla @ Me. When he finally signed to So So Def and after he had released The Dogg Pound Gangsta LP album I remember him saying "We're not into that G-Funk anymore" and saying something like "the DPG LP was a record to give a throwback vibe but that's not the line I'm going to push for the next albums". That precisely shows that Daz's come back to G-Funk albums since the Dogg Chit LP is a forced return and that after realizing that he could not break big in the mainstream industry he had to give his fanbase what they wanted i.e. classic, dope g-funk productions in order to stay in the game.

And I think that Young Pilot is his latest effort to create a star.

I personally think Daz tries too hard to appeal to different markets. At the same time, I think he's doing what he's already done. He's grinding and exploring every avenue to make a dollar. And it seems to be working. Daz seems far from broke if you look at the kind of gift he gives to his daughter and mother and the money he receives from Wide Awake. I also think that Daz has nothing left to say nowadays, he doesn't have that flame anymore, he has to force his penmanship, which was interesting at best when he was inspired and which is now very dull and hackneyed. On the other hand, Daz and his co-producers (Ivan Johnson, etc.) craft tremendously good beats even nowadays, and I think they could develop new, interesting artists (I don't like Pilot) but it seems that it's not lucrative enough for him otherwise he'd have released the PFN albums among others.

Bayside and JT put out the daz/Jt-albums. not DPG Recordz.. those are basicaly Get Low-proejcts..
and nah, JT is not a millionaire - and he never made that much money. over-exaggerated..
he is responsible for one of the biggest independent & consistent catalgoues though - but they never generated any big paper (but he capitalized on a The Game-releases, whom even got nationwide and european distribution)

bouli77

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
It's not DPG Recordz per se, but the logo does appear on the back of the record, along with Get Low & D1A. Actually there are 2 versions of Long Beach 2 Fillmoe. One released in late 2000 put out by D1A Records with a different cover and the one most of us are familiar with put out by Black Market records and which is the reason why Daz & JT got beef. As for Game for Sale, it's strictly Get Low.

Again I don't have multiple sources to verify JT's income but I did hear him say in interviews that he became a millionaire after selling 100,000 units of his first album Playaz 'N The Game in 93-94 and I think he may be sincere. CD's sold very well at the time and Gangsta Rap was hype, plus the market for Bay Area music was way bigger then as Bay artists were very well established in the South and Midwest, so it isn't ludicrous to imagine that he sold 100,000 for his first album, which would generate a revenue for him of about a million dollar since independent artists make more or less $10 by cd.

Str8Notorious

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 05:12:51 PM »
Its more to say that they have lost their chemistry in a way where they spent like close to 3 years fueding and for all of those 3 years they could have been banging out classics. I still dont think that reunion was really genuine to this day, They only did it to please Snoop because for years Daz was talking sh*t about killing kurupt, how he was fake, a child molester, a bitch nigga, traitor and Kurupt  vice versa talking sideways about Daz and Death Row beating up Bad Azz. Theres no way they could have threw all of this under the bridge in one day because this was a serious beef.

The lost chemistry is evident on Cali iz Active(Which was WACK) and Dogg Chit(Which had a couple of good cuts but overall was weak as well) 100 Wayz seem like a step back in the right direction though. I perfer them to rap about what they wanna rap about instead of featuring Gucci, Drake, Wayne,Kanye, or whomever hot at the moment because we hear them niggas enough as it is everyday. I dont want to hear these niggas on no Dogg Pound album

Indicah

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »

INDICAH (DAZ DILLINGER & ARRON BROKENSHIRE)

3 SONG PREVIEW FROM UP COMING RECORD ! !

Will_B

« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2010, 01:19:54 AM »

INDICAH (DAZ DILLINGER & ARRON BROKENSHIRE)

3 SONG PREVIEW FROM UP COMING RECORD ! !

Do you know what? THOSE 3 TRACCS ARE NUTHIN BUT HEAT ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Real hit material. Dax got a magic touch - who'd have thought sk8r rocc would be his thing too 8) 8) 8)

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »
It's not DPG Recordz per se, but the logo does appear on the back of the record, along with Get Low & D1A. Actually there are 2 versions of Long Beach 2 Fillmoe. One released in late 2000 put out by D1A Records with a different cover and the one most of us are familiar with put out by Black Market records and which is the reason why Daz & JT got beef. As for Game for Sale, it's strictly Get Low.

Again I don't have multiple sources to verify JT's income but I did hear him say in interviews that he became a millionaire after selling 100,000 units of his first album Playaz 'N The Game in 93-94 and I think he may be sincere. CD's sold very well at the time and Gangsta Rap was hype, plus the market for Bay Area music was way bigger then as Bay artists were very well established in the South and Midwest, so it isn't ludicrous to imagine that he sold 100,000 for his first album, which would generate a revenue for him of about a million dollar since independent artists make more or less $10 by cd.

nah, JT is definitely not a millionaire.

there are very few rappers in the game, who are actually millionaires. its a common misconecption that rappers actually have money..

rappers tend to look flashy and bossy wit their own small recordlabels, but they're not gettin paid. specially not now..
90percent of the westcoast-scene is broke..

love33

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2010, 12:25:46 AM »
You guys had it all wrong with the record sales, despite what you can read all over the internet RR&GB, and any Daz/Kurupt solo albums NEVER achieved any gold or platinum status. And you can check the official RIAA website where you can search their whole database. Try and type Kurupt or Daz and you won't find anything.

I remember it being huge news on the net when Kurupt went gold with "Tha Streetz Iz A Mutha" and Daz went gold with "RR&GB" and I remember Death Row talking about in the interviews how the album was a letdown to their standards where they expect anything but platinum plus.  With the RIAA you have to send in the paperwork at a given deadline and if you don't submit the paperwork then it's not in their database but it doesn't take away from the fact those two albums (RR&GB and Tha Streetz...) sold over 500,000 units each.  "Kuruption!" was also GOLD because it sold around 330k units which since it's a double cd it counts as 2 units/album sold so it went Gold as well.

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:01 AM »
"Kuruption!" was also GOLD because it sold around 330k units which since it's a double cd it counts as 2 units/album sold so it went Gold as well.

lol, thats crazy...
then what about 2pac "all eyez on me"?

bouli77

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2010, 07:06:37 AM »
Yeah but when they say 330k I think they include both cd's. Same for 2pac. At least those are the RIAA criteria. Soundscan only take into account the album regardless of the number of cd's it has. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Either way, according to Snoop RR&GB did not go gold. It shouldn't be taken as gospel though, as Snoop is hating a lot in that interview.

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/snoopdogg06/part4/

HighEyeCue

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
Kuruption sold about 400,000 copies, I think Streetz sold over 500,000 but has not been certified by the RIAA. RRGB sold at or close to gold but hasn't been certified either.

love33

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2010, 10:08:38 PM »
Kuruption sold about 400,000 copies, I think Streetz sold over 500,000 but has not been certified by the RIAA. RRGB sold at or close to gold but hasn't been certified either.

chronic 2000 is also gold it sold around 800k..a great album IMO

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »

Yeah Streetz definitely went gold. I have seen pics of the gold plaque he recieved that was hanging in his house.

bouli77

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »

chronic 2000 is also gold it sold around 800k..a great album IMO

yup it's a great album to me... lots of great songs. but it's often been overlooked because of the wrong motives that lie behind that record plus the presence of such rappers as Top Dogg and Tha Realest (the former is clearly a joke but the latter does have good songs out on that record and on others)

mastdark81

• 'G'
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
Why aren't Daz and Kurupt motivated to make good mainstream music thats absorbed by the masses?  Dre and Snoop want everyone to hear and listen to their music and they are motivated to put out quality content that everyone listens to.  E-40 and Too Short drop hit records from time to time that the masses loves to hear.  On the other hand, Daz and Kurupt have let themselves slip off into mediocrity since 2001.  Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.  Other than that minor push, I have seen absolutely no effort from them to get back into people's stereos around the country.

Why drop 5 albums that nobody listens to when you could drop one album in 4 years that has hits allover it and played by everyone in their stereos and in the club?

With all that talent, I don't understand one bit why Daz and Kurupt would just let their careers slip off into the sewers and not have any motivation to put out hit records when you see Dre and Snoop playing for nothing less than hit records.

Why do you care if they make music for the masses?  If you can get a hold of their material and you feel it that should be good enough.

love33

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
Why aren't Daz and Kurupt motivated to make good mainstream music thats absorbed by the masses?  Dre and Snoop want everyone to hear and listen to their music and they are motivated to put out quality content that everyone listens to.  E-40 and Too Short drop hit records from time to time that the masses loves to hear.  On the other hand, Daz and Kurupt have let themselves slip off into mediocrity since 2001.  Now Daz was going to drop a classic on So So Def and most of the material was legit but he went behind Jermaine Dupri's back and dropped an indy album so JD couldn't establish his buzz with that indy album sitting on the shelves so JD just dropped the album with no promotion and let Daz off his contract.  Other than that minor push, I have seen absolutely no effort from them to get back into people's stereos around the country.

Why drop 5 albums that nobody listens to when you could drop one album in 4 years that has hits allover it and played by everyone in their stereos and in the club?

With all that talent, I don't understand one bit why Daz and Kurupt would just let their careers slip off into the sewers and not have any motivation to put out hit records when you see Dre and Snoop playing for nothing less than hit records.

Why do you care if they make music for the masses?  If you can get a hold of their material and you feel it that should be good enough.

I want to hear their club music actually get played in the club.  I want people to know who they are so you can actually say their name in a rap discussion without being looked at funny.  But on the real, their music has been lackluster the last 3 years so there's nothing really there to talk about except the old stuff and the classics.