Author Topic: Kush is a weak single for Dre because it has no class  (Read 2841 times)

Gambler

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Raw Impact
Re: Kush is a weak single for Dre because it has no class
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »

Firstly, Kush is a much better track than Under Pressure.
when you say if Under Pressure was "finished", to me that includes new vocals.
Dre and Jay Z sounded out of touch, past their used by dates ... they had no idea how to flow over it.

We have some HUGE expectations for the Detox album.
And that is Dr Dre's fault, he keeps us waiting for this long ... then we wait more.
taking this much time we are thinking "he must be cooking something revolutionary"
We expect him to change the sound of Hiphop.

Truth is, we would probably think Kush was magical had he dropped it 7 years ago.
Time will tell, I'm sure Detox will be a 5 Mic album, but we will give it 4 because we expected more.

Matty

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
this track doesn't really change my thoughts on Detox for quite a few reasons (Dre's comments partly) but by itself it seems unusually average, no groove to it. I don't think Detox is gonna live up to my expectations (almost impossible) but I expect it to be a damn lot better than this and with at least a few tracks that really hit the spot. They'll be there, no doubt, but to me it would have made sense to start with something much better and more head nodding. My opinion doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things, but fuck it, record labels seems to dropping the ball all over the place these days.

And Detox can certainly be sick without being a total revolution/classic. If it's not amazing it's not instantly crap. Let it be known.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:52:48 PM by Matty »

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »
Truth is, we would probably think Kush was magical had he dropped it 7 years ago.

i dont think that's true. the music Dre was coming out with in the early part of the decade was better than this

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
Dre's should release detox and the proceed to release the Aftermath recording sessions as higher priced box sets in chronological order. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 06:44:02 PM »
Kush is dope
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2010, 07:47:04 PM »
I don't really have much more to say about Kush than what I've already said.  I just think it's a good but narrow song.  Like, it doesn't break out of the box that we can place it in -- a club-oriented hip hop song circa 2010.  It doesn't transcend that specific niche.  Therefore, if you like contemporary clubbish rap songs, you'll probably love this song; if you don't like that specific sub-genre of hip hop (like me), you're probably not gonna like Kush.  It's just a well made but narrow song, imo.

I do laugh when people say this is the street single, though.  There's nothing street about it, at all.  ;)
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2010, 08:01:44 PM »
I don't really have much more to say about Kush than what I've already said.  I just think it's a good but narrow song.  Like, it doesn't break out of the box that we can place it in -- a club-oriented hip hop song circa 2010.  It doesn't transcend that specific niche.  Therefore, if you like contemporary clubbish rap songs, you'll probably love this song; if you don't like that specific sub-genre of hip hop (like me), you're probably not gonna like Kush.  It's just a well made but narrow song, imo.

I do laugh when people say this is the street single, though.  There's nothing street about it, at all.  ;)

You have zero credibility in this thread, your user name is detox is a myth lol
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2010, 08:40:40 PM »
Who cares what his username is?  He provided a legit response unlike your comment about his comment which didn't contribute anything like this comment
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Nooc210

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Planets
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »
i think 'under pressure' or something like it, but more "gangster" sounding i suppose? would have been better if polished & finished of course, to start as a single...
logistically if dre and the label did that initially and if there really was going to be a massive disappointment (anticipointment) w/ it, then releasing something like 'kush' after all that might have been better?? just a thought.

this song 'kush' is ok for Dr. Dre outside of DETOX but w/ the subject matter difference would be just plain confusing... :-\
The Chonic • 2001 • Compton •
http://www.drdre.com

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
You guys with your unreal expectations. Do you guys listen to commercial "rap"? If you don't like this, then what getting released these days do you like. Snoop, Warren, Cube, all been releasing mediocre shit for years. It's not the 90's anymore. These guys are all passed their primes.

Compare this track to singles being released today. Now try and tell me it sucks.

MistaNova

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2010, 10:50:46 PM »
Compare this track to singles being released today. Now try and tell me it sucks.

IMO there are singles out there that easliy shit on Kush, only they can't sell and go unnoticed.
Everyone's saying Kush sucks because they expected the first single to be instantly great and it would blow his past work like "Nuthin' But A G Thang" and "Still Dre" out of the water, only it didn't turn out that way to them for their own reasons (Akon being on the hook, having Sly do a Nate-impersonation, Dre's new angry and drunk flow etc...).
I personally have doubts about Kush being the first single though. It came out as a leak and then as a iTunes single but I don't remember Interscope or Dre or anybody announcing it beforehand. Whereas with Under Pressure Dre and Jimmy had announced it before it leaked.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2010, 11:17:36 PM »

IMO there are singles out there that easliy shit on Kush, only they can't sell and go unnoticed.
Everyone's saying Kush sucks because they expected the first single to be instantly great and it would blow his past work like "Nuthin' But A G Thang" and "Still Dre" out of the water, only it didn't turn out that way to them for their own reasons (Akon being on the hook, having Sly do a Nate-impersonation, Dre's new angry and drunk flow etc...).
I personally have doubts about Kush being the first single though. It came out as a leak and then as a iTunes single but I don't remember Interscope or Dre or anybody announcing it beforehand. Whereas with Under Pressure Dre and Jimmy had announced it before it leaked.

It was confirmed as a single by Dre himself. What more do you want?

MistaNova

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2010, 11:23:13 PM »
It was confirmed as a single by Dre himself. What more do you want?

I know that Dre confirmed it. I guess I'm just confused as to how Kush came out prematurely.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »

i do remember that Dre said that there would be some new music at the end of the year
this track doesn't really change my thoughts on Detox for quite a few reasons (Dre's comments partly) but by itself it seems unusually average, no groove to it. I don't think Detox is gonna live up to my expectations (almost impossible) but I expect it to be a damn lot better than this and with at least a few tracks that really hit the spot. They'll be there, no doubt, but to me it would have made sense to start with something much better and more head nodding. My opinion doesn't mean anything in the scheme of things, but fuck it, record labels seems to dropping the ball all over the place these days.

And Detox can certainly be sick without being a total revolution/classic. If it's not amazing it's not instantly crap. Let it be known.

yeah. that's why the 'expectations' argument doesn't really apply to me.
i really believe that Dre can do better than Kush

And lol at saying Under Pressure is better. Dre sounded so awkward on that joint. Looks like you're having that classic internet message board mentality where everything that's either underground, unfinished, released criticized and forgotten but then after a while better than the official shit... basically everything is better than the official version. Basically if the situation as reversed (Kush being the flop single and Under Pressure being the official one), people would make threads how finished Kush track would sound better than Under Pressure. People over analyze things too much nowadays.

Under Pressure may have been better in a finished form. Just speculating, but i think so. Neither are really what I'd like to hear. And this 'internet message board mentality' is just me being personal with the opinions and putting it out there. I thought you might give me a little more credit than the average message board hypocrite :P

I do, I do. The whole post wasn't aimed directly at you but also at this sudden movement of some people being die hard Bishop Lamont fans now, when everybody was criticizing him when he was on Afermath. The whole "let's root for the under dog" mentality.
yeah.
i think the peak of the comments was after the game diss & no country for old men
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:52:08 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »
Matty writing paper on this one lol. Cant say that I agree with you 100% but I feel what you are saying to some point. Under Pressure could have been huge if it was finished, more polished and ofcoruse with a nice hook.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM