Author Topic: Southern rappers?  (Read 1175 times)

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Southern rappers?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 07:24:24 PM »
Cunninlynguists

kemizt

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
I think the South has the worst rappers & my username is about one lol.

Sure, they have good rappers. But they also have Gucci Mane, OJ Da Juiceman, Shawty Lo, Soulja Boy, D4L, Dem Franchize Boys & whoever made that "Stanky Leg" song.

But I'd say as far as rapping goes, East, West & Midwest have them covered.

Who does the South have? Andre & Scarface & Jay Electronica? Maybe 3000 & Face 10 years ago, but in 2010 I'll take plenty of rappers over them.

& Jay is amazing, but he doesn't even use that "southern sound" with the production or lyrically & "surprise, surprise" he's the best lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:08 PM »

Sure, they have good rappers. But they also have Gucci Mane, OJ Da Juiceman, Shawty Lo, Soulja Boy, D4L, Dem Franchize Boys & whoever made that "Stanky Leg" song.

Who does the South have? Andre & Scarface & Jay Electronica? Maybe 3000 & Face 10 years ago, but in 2010 I'll take plenty of rappers over them.

& Jay is amazing, but he doesn't even use that "southern sound" with the production or lyrically & "surprise, surprise" he's the best lol.

Every region has wack rappers....

The South has less rappers who are recognized as "great." So what? That doesn't mean its a worse place for hip hop. I mean the East coast has more rappers considered great than the west coast. But you don't see people going around saying west coast hip hop sucks or East >>> West. Some regions just get more attention than others.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »

The South has less rappers who are recognized as "great." So what? That doesn't mean its a worse place for hip hop. I mean the East coast has more rappers considered great than the west coast. But you don't see people going around saying west coast hip hop sucks or East >>> West. Some regions just get more attention than others.

Yeah, but the South's worst is easily the worst of the worst.

& as far as attention goes, I'd say the South gets more than any region. The West is all underground & irrelevant, the East has basically Jay-Z & Fab that get radio play, unless I'm forgetting someone & the Midwest only has Eminem & Kanye (which is a major part of the radio today). But then the South gets T.I., Luda, Wayne, Ross & then whatever wack one hit wonder single that the terrible rappers I named in my previous post made. So they get plenty of attention, but I think the best of the best rappers on every other coast are better than the best of the best in the South.

Think about it, there aren't many great artists coming out of the South; I don't think T.I., Luda, Wayne, Ross or even Chamillionaire are that great. Basically my point is, lets just say those rappers rapped the same & claimed another region, I would put them on the B list of artists for that region.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »

& as far as attention goes, I'd say the South gets more than any region. The West is all underground & irrelevant, the East has basically Jay-Z & Fab that get radio play, unless I'm forgetting someone & the Midwest only has Eminem & Kanye (which is a major part of the radio today). But then the South gets T.I., Luda, Wayne, Ross & then whatever wack one hit wonder single that the terrible rappers I named in my previous post made. So they get plenty of attention, but I think the best of the best rappers on every other coast are better than the best of the best in the South.

Think about it, there aren't many great artists coming out of the South; I don't think T.I., Luda, Wayne, Ross or even Chamillionaire are that great. Basically my point is, lets just say those rappers rapped the same & claimed another region, I would put them on the B list of artists for that region.

I wouldn't call those the best of the best....you just named off the mainstream Southern rappers.

Just out of curiosity, who do you consider the A listers for each region? East, west, midwest and south
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:25:48 PM by THE RAPTURE »

rhythmalism

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Yelawolf

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:25 PM »

I wouldn't call those the best of the best....you just named off the mainstream Southern rappers.

Just out of curiosity, who do you consider the A listers for each region? East, west, midwest and south

I hate things like that because I also forget people, but..

East - Nas, Black Thought, Joe Budden, Mos Def, Joell Ortiz
Midwest - Eminem, Common, Royce, Esham, Kanye, Tech N9ne
West - Crooked I, Murs, Bishop, Xzibit (West is actually a lot weaker than I thought, but still better than the South)
South - J. Cole (if you count him), Jay Electronica, Bun B & that's honestly about it.

Take into account that this is just in today's game, otherwise, Rakim, Wu-Tang, Ice Cube, Jay-Z, Outkast, Face, etc. would all be named on their respective coasts.

EDIT: Forgot Hopsin on the West & Lupe is pretty close for the Midwest.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:49:44 PM by Chamillitary Click »

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01:04 PM »
OMG MR CHAMMILITARY CLIQUEYOU SAID CROOKIT EYE BUT HE DOEZNT HAVE THE ALBUMZ OUT SO HE CANT COUNT!@!@#

and btw if Esham in 2010 reps the best of the midwest then tha'ts sad.  Esham was one of the best rappers and producers in the 1990s and early 2000's though
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:02:52 PM by Carlton Banks »
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 09:09:39 PM »
OMG MR CHAMMILITARY CLIQUEYOU SAID CROOKIT EYE BUT HE DOEZNT HAVE THE ALBUMZ OUT SO HE CANT COUNT!@!@#

lol, very true. I remove him from my West list & insert Spider Loc.

Don't listen to that shit, Hack. I swear to you & would put a BILLION dollar bet down on it, in cash...in nickels actually, that if Method Man never made a solo album & was only judged based off of his work within the group of Wu-Tang, he'd still get the same love he gets today & people would still say he's amazing.

AM I COMPARING METHOD MAN AND HIS WU-TANG MATERIAL TO CROOKED I AND HIS SLAUGHTERHOUSE MATERIAL? NO! So don't make a smartass comment, its just the principal that that's how it would go down.

The difference? Crooked I gets love by people & the occasional person will say "Crooked I >>> great rapper", a fan of that great rapper gets his feelings hurt & will throw whatever he has to in order to make Crooked look bad. Crooked doesn't have that legendary status & probably never will, but because of that, he can't get passes like that. So when he's compared to people's favorites, people will be upset lol.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »
the spotlight goes in cycles. I can remember a time when people used to make fun of Southern rappers and how they talk and sound. Even almighty Outkast, so for me the shine the south gets is well deserved and a loooooooong time coming. Good or horrible rappers are taking advantage of that and I ain't mad at them.

Blood$

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
Z-Ro > any rapper named in this thread (except Face)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 10:09:07 PM »
Z-Ro

I did forget him in the South, my apologies lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »

I hate things like that because I also forget people, but..

East - Nas, Black Thought, Joe Budden, Mos Def, Joell Ortiz
Midwest - Eminem, Common, Royce, Esham, Kanye, Tech N9ne
West - Crooked I, Murs, Bishop, Xzibit (West is actually a lot weaker than I thought, but still better than the South)
South - J. Cole (if you count him), Jay Electronica, Bun B & that's honestly about it.

Take into account that this is just in today's game, otherwise, Rakim, Wu-Tang, Ice Cube, Jay-Z, Outkast, Face, etc. would all be named on their respective coasts.

EDIT: Forgot Hopsin on the West & Lupe is pretty close for the Midwest.

I have my own names, but looking at your list I'd take Jay Electronica over anyone you named for the west.

Also what is your criteria for "today's game"? How can you include Xzibit and not Outkast considering they are way more active than he is? I mean cmon, Big Boi just released a pretty solid album this year.

A few more worthy names....Cunninlynguists, Khujo, Cee-Lo (if he counts), Devin the Dude, Little Brother, Supastition

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:32 AM »
six 2

MistaNova

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 05:51:16 AM »
six 2

Shit, I forgot about rappers from Dallas like him (D.O.C., One Gud Cide etc...).