Author Topic: Southern rappers?  (Read 1144 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Southern rappers?
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 06:20:26 AM »
Xzibit still drops great consistent music, in my opinion.

Big Boi dropped an album that, like you said, was "solid" that people went a little crazy over because it's better than what we usually get out of the South, but that doesn't make it great.

I did forget Little Brother though. A-List.

Anunikke

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
Don't forget people used to move to the west or the east to chance their rap careers.
Can't name any at the moment but I'm sure there are plenty.

The guy who created the New York sound is from Texas ffs.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »
Don't forget people used to move to the west or the east to chance their rap careers.
Can't name any at the moment but I'm sure there are plenty.

The guy who created the New York sound is from Texas ffs.
The D.O.C.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 08:52:50 AM »

Big Boi dropped an album that, like you said, was "solid" that people went a little crazy over because it's better than what we usually get out of the South, but that doesn't make it great.

You gotta be kidding. Xzibit hasn't dropped music in years. I didn't know we were including rappers who were dope 5 years ago  :D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:59:44 AM by THE RAPTURE »

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 08:59:21 AM »
South - J. Cole (if you count him), Jay Electronica, Bun B & that's honestly about it

lmao come on bun b has barely dropped a decent verse in years (and im a huge fan of his). you just picked that cause its one of few artists respected by west/east coast fans. there are 100s or rappers from the south dropping way better shit than bun b right now

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 09:08:34 AM »
South - J. Cole (if you count him), Jay Electronica, Bun B & that's honestly about it

lmao come on bun b has barely dropped a decent verse in years (and im a huge fan of his). you just picked that cause its one of few artists respected by west/east coast fans. there are 100s or rappers from the south dropping way better shit than bun b right now

This. I think all this topic proves is there are a lot of great Southern artists people either overlook or haven't bothered to check out yet.

And tbh Cham I think your list is incredibly weak. I like Bishop and Crooked but I dont consider them the best from the west let alone better than the best artists from the south. It says a lot about the strength of your list when 2 haven't dropped debut albums yet and 1 hasn't dropped an album in years.

Trip Dee

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:04 AM »
six 2
this

Devin The Dude
and this

what about ball & mjg? last album isn't one of my favourites but they still can hold their own on the mic.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 10:52:03 AM »
Trae

kemizt

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »

This. I think all this topic proves is there are a lot of great Southern artists people either overlook or haven't bothered to check out yet.

And tbh Cham I think your list is incredibly weak. I like Bishop and Crooked but I dont consider them the best from the west let alone better than the best artists from the south. It says a lot about the strength of your list when 2 haven't dropped debut albums yet and 1 hasn't dropped an album in years.

I'm not seeing your list, chief...

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
Pill
Kno
Big K.R.I.T.
Killer Mike
Stat Quo
K-Rino
Kamikaze
Spark Dawg

man I could on and on, same with the west coast

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »

I'm not seeing your list, chief...

Actually your list serves the purpose of this thread better because it implies the west is just as weak as the south.  ;D And all I was saying in the first place is that every region has great artists if you bother to look.

Tbh I listen to more west coast rappers than southern rappers. But there's more than enough good music coming from there, like the names I've already mentioned.

Al Bundy

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »
Don't listen to that shit, Hack. I swear to you & would put a BILLION dollar bet down on it, in cash...in nickels actually, that if Method Man never made a solo album & was only judged based off of his work within the group of Wu-Tang, he'd still get the same love he gets today & people would still say he's amazing.

um yeah he would because he was a part of a classic album unlike crooked who has a million freestyles & one subpar group album

Paul

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »

You gotta be kidding. Xzibit hasn't dropped music in years. I didn't know we were including rappers who were dope 5 years ago  :D

Xzibit has dropped 4 great tracks since the summer, preparing the release of MMX and has had a few dope verses on guest apperances. Sounds better than he has in years
funkyfreshintheflesh

S.C. The Beast

• 'G'
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 12:05:17 PM »
south got more shit going than the west IMO

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

Xzibit has dropped 4 great tracks since the summer, preparing the release of MMX and has had a few dope verses on guest apperances. Sounds better than he has in years

Exactly, I still consider him one of the best on the West. Does it say something bad about the West? I guess, but he still makes the list.