Author Topic: Southern rappers?  (Read 1173 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Southern rappers?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
South - J. Cole (if you count him), Jay Electronica, Bun B & that's honestly about it

lmao come on bun b has barely dropped a decent verse in years (and im a huge fan of his). you just picked that cause its one of few artists respected by west/east coast fans. there are 100s or rappers from the south dropping way better shit than bun b right now

This. I think all this topic proves is there are a lot of great Southern artists people either overlook or haven't bothered to check out yet.

And tbh Cham I think your list is incredibly weak. I like Bishop and Crooked but I dont consider them the best from the west let alone better than the best artists from the south. It says a lot about the strength of your list when 2 haven't dropped debut albums yet and 1 hasn't dropped an album in years.

I'm not seeing your list, chief...

Actually your list serves the purpose of this thread better because it implies the west is just as weak as the south.  ;D And all I was saying in the first place is that every region has great artists if you bother to look.

Tbh I listen to more west coast rappers than southern rappers. But there's more than enough good music coming from there, like the names I've already mentioned.

My list was "A-List" rappers, not people who put out "good music".

Fabolous puts out "good music", but he isn't one of the best artists on East Coast, in my opinion.

& yeah, I guess the West is pretty weak. I suppose the South just appears worse because their worst is REALLY bad.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
Don't listen to that shit, Hack. I swear to you & would put a BILLION dollar bet down on it, in cash...in nickels actually, that if Method Man never made a solo album & was only judged based off of his work within the group of Wu-Tang, he'd still get the same love he gets today & people would still say he's amazing.

um yeah he would because he was a part of a classic album unlike crooked who has a million freestyles & one subpar group album

Way to delete the rest of what I wrote lol. Kind of takes it out of context.

But the point is, Million Dollar Story gets delayed (wouldn't surprise me lol), Slaughterhouse drops an AMAZING album next year, you fucks are still going to say "Crooked doesn't have an album, he's not good, etc".

You know that's true too. Where if Meth never dropped a solo album it wouldn't matter, same love. It drives home the point that you guys really don't care how you sound at the end of the day, as long as the artists you want to put in the bad light, get seen in the bad light lol.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
Don't listen to that shit, Hack. I swear to you & would put a BILLION dollar bet down on it, in cash...in nickels actually, that if Method Man never made a solo album & was only judged based off of his work within the group of Wu-Tang, he'd still get the same love he gets today & people would still say he's amazing.

um yeah he would because he was a part of a classic album unlike crooked who has a million freestyles & one subpar group album

But the point is, Million Dollar Story gets delayed (wouldn't surprise me lol), Slaughterhouse drops an AMAZING album next year, you fucks are still going to say "Crooked doesn't have an album, he's not good, etc".

You know that's true too. Where if Meth never dropped a solo album it wouldn't matter, same love. It drives home the point that you guys really don't care how you sound at the end of the day, as long as the artists you want to put in the bad light, get seen in the bad light lol.

Well Cham you know what at the end of the day is gonna stop people from saying that about Crooked? A album. If If was a 5th we would all be fucked up as the saying goes and Meth not only has A album out, he has it times 4 so yeah until Crook drops something outside of the group, this will continue, warranted or not.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

Well Cham you know what at the end of the day is gonna stop people from saying that about Crooked? A album. If If was a 5th we would all be fucked up as the saying goes and Meth not only has A album out, he has it times 4 so yeah until Crook drops something outside of the group, this will continue, warranted or not.

Good point. I'd still consider him one of the best on the West right now, regardless of having an album out. Take it how you want in terms of what that means for the West, but I don't see many putting out material that makes his freestyles look weak.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »

Good point. I'd still consider him one of the best on the West right now, regardless of having an album out. Take it how you want in terms of what that means for the West, but I don't see many putting out material that makes his freestyles look weak.

I don't dispute the material, but again for most, artists ultimately are judged by albums. To give a analogy people look at freestyles as practice and albums has game time. Although impressive 50-80 weeks of material, most look at it as "practice" as AI would say lol.

There are only DL numbers and hype to measure the success where as albums are more looked at as "game time". When it counts the most to people. I completely understand what you are saying but the masses will always have a asterisk by his name till that album drops.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »
k-rino

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 01:14:17 PM »
man the south sucks dick

now this is some real rap
this depends on what generation of southerns u talking about...u cant say that about(SCARFACE,bun..b,mjg-8ball,geto boys,outkast,goodiemob,dugeon family,the DOC,2face,davide banner,..carlos broady who produced biggies  hardest life after death beats(A MEMPHIS CAT)young buck,Devin the dude..ect....yet i do agree there are some wack southern mcs...from gucci to waka,to florida this type of southern and dance cats YES...cause we got lyrisists for days down south,,they out there.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »
David Banner isnt a lyricicst..

neither is Bun B really (extremely ovrrated - his longevitylegendstatus surpasses his mic-capabilites, in "respect")

Anunikke

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
man the south sucks dick

this depends on what generation of southerns u talking about...u cant say that about(SCARFACE,bun..b,mjg-8ball,geto boys,outkast,goodiemob,dugeon family,the DOC,2face,davide banner,..carlos broady who produced biggies  hardest life after death beats(A MEMPHIS CAT)young buck,Devin the dude..ect....yet i do agree there are some wack southern mcs...from gucci to waka,to florida this type of southern and dance cats YES...cause we got lyrisists for days down south,,they out there.
Carlos Broady is from the south?
Never Knew, he has some great work with the Wu.
Heist of the century is a classic.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:18 PM »
Kanye was born in Atlanta. Primo was born and raised in Houston.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2010, 03:14:55 PM »
man the south sucks dick

Carlos Broady is from the south?
Never Knew, he has some great work with the Wu.
Heist of the century is a classic.
my sister worked with him at federal express back in 94-95..and shes cool with his mom...he gets hated on down south cause his music tends to lean toward the eastcoast boom bap sound of things..but i love his beats i think it,adds more diversity to the southern sound.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Kanye was born in Atlanta. Primo was born and raised in Houston.
wright..yet people say stupid shit like Bun.b is wack!even if i dont like the dude,i got to admitte he along way from being wack though.

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »

good music isn't hard to find in the south, it's everywhere
everywhere ELSE lmao

south got the wackest emcees and wackest producers
come on u just bullshitting wright....go check out bun b and premos work of late...just do it and be true about it.holla me.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »

everywhere ELSE lmao

lol smh...

name me one southern rapper not from the Geto boys better than 2pac, Big L, Em, Royce, MC Juice, Crooked I, Cube, GZA, Nas, Kool G Rap or Biggie.
scarface , d.o.c. (in his prime) , jay electronica , t.i. , outkast, b.o.b., ugk.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Invincible

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2010, 05:50:10 PM »

everywhere ELSE lmao

lol smh...

name me one southern rapper not from the Geto boys better than 2pac, Big L, Em, Royce, MC Juice, Crooked I, Cube, GZA, Nas, Kool G Rap or Biggie.
scarface , d.o.c. (in his prime) , jay electronica , t.i. , outkast, b.o.b., ugk.

Do you honestly think T.I. is better than Nas, Em, Big L, Pac, Kool G., Biggie and GZA? Seriously I don't think I've ever seen a bigger stan than you.