Author Topic: Smit D Interview (Facemob & Coughee Brothers member)  (Read 70 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Smit D Interview (Facemob & Coughee Brothers member)
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2010/12/14/smit-d-interview/

I2G kicked it with one of the original members of Facemob and the group The Coughee Brothers, Smit D for a interview. We discuss his new single, Ass On Leather, with Pimp C and N.O. Capo, his upcoming album in 2011, what Rap-A-Lot's lasting legacy will be in the game and much more so check it out.

Smit D Illuminati 2G Drop

http://www.limelinx.com/files/4ecad5ed52ab43c504eb1fe70c7f6cf3

Illuminati 2G is here with Smit D how's it going man?

It's all good, down here in the H (Houston) where the weather is all lovely and enjoying the holidays, Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

Same to you. You have a new single out entitled Ass On Leather (AOL) featuring Pimp C and N.O. Capo. Tell me a little bit about the single.

Ass On Leather is produced by my man G Berry. Basically what happened was, well me and Pimp C were very good friends, as well as Bun B and unfortunately we lost Chad. Fortunately I had a opportunity to do a song with him back in the day. I really wanted to do a song with him and I was in jail when he passed.

G Berry knew that Chad and myself were good friends and so he went in the lab and came up with the track. Capo came into the lab during this time and it was Devin The Dude's studio and I met him through my guy, Young Malice of The Product.

From day one that he came in the studio, he was telling me that we need to do a song together. I seen him grinding and doing his Young Money thing and I came into the studio and G Berry played me the track with Pimp C on it and it was banging.

Initally I did the first verse to the song and I was not happy with it. So I took the track home to marinate on it for a little bit, and it kept me up all night. I saved it officially for Pimp C and anything with his verse or voice on it as a feature is me paying homage to my good friend.

I came back the next day and I had the verse and as I am getting ready to lay the verse, Capo walks in the door. He heard the track and said man that is banging, and this is how he get down in Houston. It's bad bitches, it's drank, kush smoke in the air and we just flip and have fun out here man.

When I played him the track, Capo was like you got to let me get on that track. I said it's you, you are on it. Capo marinated for a couple of days and then he laid his verse and considering the way the game is right now, I just feel like me coming back out I needed to do a song that is fun. I have over 100 songs that I have recorded in the last year and a half, and I felt that the game needed a song that was fun from me.

So I told Capo, let's put this out and I think it will touch some people, and they will dance to it and bang it in their cars and the clubs.

Do you have plans of adding some visuals to the song, doing a video or anything for the single?

Yeah, will right now I have my guy down here from New York, by way of Japan and his name is Wesley Crowden. He is the Internet guru and he has done many videos, he shot the Black & Yellow video for Slim Thug's mixtape. He is very good with the camera and right now we are putting some things together as far as the treatment goes. We are putting it together now.

You had mentioned earlier that you are working on a new project. Is there any details that you can give about your new album?

Yeah my new album is called Real Be Real. It is a grown up album and I am almost half done with it. We have features right now from Devin The Dude and the Coughee Brothers, N.O. Capo, working on a feature right now from Lil Flip and Slim Thug.

The album is about relevance and redemption for myself and as far as artists in the game being relevant. I have a single called Get To The Money and another called I Got What You Want. We got alot on check as far as the album goes, I am a good business associate with James Prince and I am a member of the Rap-A-Lot family since day one.

I also have a feature from Scarface and Young Malice and from The Product. Tanya Herron will also be on the project and I have production from Mike Dean, G Berry, Mirage, and the album Real Be Real has been brewing for about 2 years now. It is just about redemption in the game and about being relevant, you hear alot of guys spit it, but that ain't how they live it.

My thing as a artist and as a man, is to paint a picture that is real. This is how I am living and this is what I am going through and what I have overcome. I want to motivate and inspire not only the young artists, but also some of the veteran artists. Because the veteran artists have been taking a beating for some time now and I think age is a factor in the game right now.

There is the belief that when you hit a certain age that you cannot make a hit song or album anymore. I am a product of, I won't say the old school but I am a product of hip hop. In saying that, I guess you could say my album is kinda gonna have a shock factor. Could this be real when it really is and I have always pride myself on being around good, genuine, humble people.

Because the streets are so crazy and the game itself. Like Q-Tip said Rule number 4080, record company people are shady. That shadiness has created so much violence, and with my album, I really want to put the essence back in the game. If I am going to talk about the cars, because our car culture is bananas in Houston, I am gonna have fun. If I am going to talk about the ladies, I am gonna have fun, if I am going to talk about the game as far as hustling, I am going to spit it to you real. I live it like I spit it, ya dig.

One of my all time favorite groups is Facemob. Do you ever think that there is a possibility that there will be a Facemob reunion album?

There is always a possiblity, we all have matured and evolved and we are still in contact with each other. We came in as a family and we are not just a group that Face just put us together and said let's just make a project and make us some money. We came together to grow together, I used to babysit Devin's kids and he used to watch my kids so we are all family.

If there is to ever be another Facemob album, it is going to be great. The possibility is always there and the idea has been passed around several times and there has even been someone trying to put out a new Facemob together. If God don't want it to work like that, it is not going to work like that. God willing, there will be another Facemob album real soon.

It is a debate that always comes up, the greatest record labels of all time. You hear the names, Bad Boy, Death Row, and one label I never hear about, that I feel is the best hands down since day one is Rap-A-Lot. What do you feel will be the lasting legacy Rap-A-Lot will have on hip hop when it is all said and done?

There is so much talk about the dirt that goes on behind the scenes and under the table and behind closed doors at Rap-A-Lot. Everybody has this dark, black image of Rap-A-Lot, well really it is James Prince, everyone seems to have nothing but bad to say about him, well those that don't know him.

The legacy as far as Rap-A-Lot goes, from day one is about taking men and women from situations that would get us in trouble..., I mean we were all doing the things we spoke about. When we spoke about the hustling, violence, if we weren't doing it, it was a mentality that you knew was real. It was not a gimmick that we were selling, so I think the legacy that Rap-A-Lot is going to leave is the realest niggas down south.

Laughs

Because if you go back and contact anyone that is still on that label, barring there financial state they will say being on Rap-A-Lot is like having the manpower to take on the world. I think the legacy is probably going to be that the foundation of the label was built on something solid that became a empire.

When you want to speak about rap empires, you say Bad Boy, Death Row, but you see Death Row has come and gone. Rap-A-Lot is still here and putting out quality artists, Bun-B, Z-Ro, Smit-D, Trae Tha Truth, and we are still here man.

That is one of my mottos, we are still here. I think when we are all gone, Rap-A-Lot will still be here and I think that will be the legacy that we leave and that we are the realest working in the game. There ain't no shiesty or shady stuff going on, Rap-A-Lot is real. Anybody that wants to get down with Rap-A-Lot, if ya not real, don't come here.

When I say real, being right is closely correlated with that as well. Being with Rap-A-Lot is about being with the best, being number one in the game. It is about honestly competiting in this game to expose good talent.

Who would have ever figured the Geto Boys would have the number one record in the country? Who would have figured that producers like Mike Dean would go on to work with Kanye West and win Grammys and he started with Rap-A-Lot? Who would have figured that artists like Big Mike would go gold, artists like Scarface would have multiple platinum albums and groups like Facemob would form?

Groups like Do Or Die would come through and get gold plaques. Who would have ever imagined that? Coming from a man that grew up in 5th Ward and had a vision and every artist from day one pretty much had the same love for rap music as James Prince had. It was natural for us to come together and anyone that comes through Houston that raps and is serious about the game, studies the business and really wants to get in, you have to go through Rap-A-Lot in some way, shape or form. Because Rap-A-Lot is the realest, more or less.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

I had a show last week in Houston, but as far as a tour, we are taking it one step at a time as far as putting everything together and making sure the album is done right and our marketing and promotion is as well. Right now what I am doing more than anything, I am sitting back and watching and learning from artists like Kanye West, Jay-Z, Slim Thug, Trae Tha Truth. Each one of them what they are going through is different.

I am watching them to figure out the lane where I can prosper. I recently came off tour with Devin on the Suite 420 tour. I had a couple songs with Devin on the Suite 420 album and we have a new Coughee Brothers compilation coming out. It will be early 2011, first quarter of next year that the album will be released and I will go on the road early next year.

These next couple shows is pretty much going to set my foundation where I can give the people what they need and want to hear and see from me. Early 2011, a major Smit D splash, Real Be Real tour, it's gonna come together, believe it.

What's your website information?

www.twitter.com/justsmitd. www.facebook.com/rodericksmith. youngsmitd@yahoo.com. Me going to prison is playing a intricate part into getting back into the business. Everything may seem brand new, almost like I am a new artist, which I am to a certain extent.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Well I will say this, pray for the Facemob and Scarface. This is Smit D from the Facemob and I just wanna say we are doing it, I am at the home of my Grammy family man, Mike Dean and Tanya Herron. We got some things bubbling for 2011 yall just look up we coming 2000 heavy. God is gonna shine down in 2011. Everybody go out and chase your dreams, go get them and don't let anyone get in your way.

Just be on the lookout for Smit D, Real Be Real, it is coming real soon, so check out the singles, free downloads. I am not going to be charging you right now because I love ya and I love the game. Follow me on twitter and facebook and let's get it in and I appreciate all the love and I love yall in return man.

Lunatic

Re: Smit D Interview (Facemob & Coughee Brothers member)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
Dope ass interview
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com