Author Topic: Lets Face It - Detox Will Suck A**  (Read 2829 times)

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
Re: Lets Face It - Detox Will Suck A**
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 06:43:18 AM »
I think people need to realize that no matter if Detox is great or not, it will never be better than Chronic or 2001. Times have changed and music has as well. That Old School west coast sound that both earlier records had will never be duplicated. Does that mean Detox cant be a classic? No! It can definitely be a west coast classic but in a different way and sound. Anyone that is expecting the same shit as in the past or comparing this album with the past is going to be disappointed. Get over the past and accept that the era we grew up in is OVER. Dr. Dre still produces amazing songs, so im excited to hear what new shit he will come with this time around.
I think people just need to hear the record and get it out of their system. People are expecting the impossible. 95% of you aren't even judging the music on those albums as much as you're judging the nostalgia attached to them. Nothing can compete with that. You're not gonna get the same feeling in your late 20's or early 30's with a cynical mindstate as you did when you were a care-free 11-year old or teenager. If you threw "G Thang" out on this board today with no one having ever heard it and said it was going to be the most awesome record you'd ever hear, people would dismiss as simple rhymes over a Leon Hayward sample.
good talk

Westcoastfanatic

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
Detox might suck. 2 things I'm afraid of might happen.

1. Dre doesn't have the inspiration to produce/co-produce all the tracks on Detox. He will ask other producers who are now just as good or even better than himself to produce for him.  More than 1 track not produced by Dre would suck to me. He should only drop Detox if he has the inspiration to produce/co-produce all the tracks. Don't think I will buy Detox if he only produces 4 tracks on it.

2. Dre sells-out and has a song(s) with a corny popstar on Detox. Dre, or Jimmy Iovine might think that Detox can only go multi platinum if there's a song with a corny popstar on Detox. 1 corny popstar on Detox and it over with my respect for Dre. I won't buy Detox.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:01:52 AM by Westcoastfanatic »
IS DETOX NEXT? Don't think so.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
95% of you aren't even judging the music on those albums as much as you're judging the nostalgia attached to them. Nothing can compete with that. You're not gonna get the same feeling in your late 20's or early 30's with a cynical mindstate as you did when you were a care-free 11-year old or teenager.

This.

Its kinda funny to see people complaining about the lyrics or subject matter on the recent Dre songs (did we listen to the same albums?). Same goes for people saying he's trying to go pop. Dre has always been pop. The only reason we are Dre fans today is because throughout his career he's focused on making music that bumps and will get airplay.

~Styles~

• Lil Geezy
  • standard.
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »
There has been more knowledge dropped on this page of this thread (barring westcoast fanatic) than I have seen throughout all the bullshit thats been written in the countless other topics on the subject.

So yeh..well done.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
If you threw "G Thang" out on this board today with no one having ever heard it and said it was going to be the most awesome record you'd ever hear, people would dismiss as simple rhymes over a Leon Hayward sample.

I don't agree with this, because I'm hyped that we seem to be getting Haven't You Heard in CDQ with a proper release.  In fact, suppose they dropped Haven't You Heard properly with CDQ sonics and Detox on the same day.  I would definitely buy Haven't You Heard because I know I won't be disappointed, but I would preview Detox first, because I'm not as certain as with Haven't You Heard that I won't be disappointed.

I respect the point that you're making, which is that the "old" west coast music only holds up today because of nostalgia, and it really isn't all that great -- certainly not great enough to compete in today's era of music.  I'm sure a lot of young people today feel that way.  What you are saying is true, commercially speaking.  But when it comes to pure musical enjoyment, I'd be willing to bet that I will enjoy Haven't You Heard more than Detox, because I enjoy that style more.  The bottom line to me is that Kush is Dr. Dre's worst single so far, even including The Aftermath compilation.

I mean, rank these songs for me:

F*ck With Dre Day
Let Me Ride
G Thang
Lil' Ghetto Boy
Been There Done That
Eastcoast Killas/Westcoast Killas
Still Dre
Forgot About Dre
Next Episode

I don't think Kush is better than any of those.  So to say G Thang wouldn't hold up today is a little bit off-base to me, because Haven't You Heard is basically from that same era, and I'm more hyped for that than for Detox at this point.

But, again, I respect your opinion, even though I don't agree with it.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
 I think the album will be great.. beaing a producer isnt only about making a beat . there is more to it as for the sound  Dr.Dre tried to get away from  the gangster rap image since he left Death Row.. he wanted to show that his sound was universal, that it was more than a West Coast thing, and i did prove it well.. the sound of Chronic 2001 is still being used today in rap, pop, R&B and even random commercials... The Doctor is doing a great job. but the fans  are some of the weirdest and stuck up fans ever  (the westcoast fans)

DSOD2476

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
Yes Detox will suck a** if you listen to and like 97% of the shit that is considered hot today.  Dr. Dre will re-invent the sound once again and most of you won't realize it until 2015 when your favorite shitty half ass producer is imitating the sound and attempting to recreate it on a $39.99 music creation program you can get at Walmart.  You can't predict what an album will be or sound like when you haven't even heard more than one song from the album so why even try?  I am amused at the ignorance of some west coast hip hop fans.  Let me take you down history lane.....when Dre dropped the Aftermath presents compilation most of you were still crapping in diapers and the album was slammed for not being like Dre's Death Row sound....Dre fell off was the word in the industry and on the message forums.  Then we got to hear a youngster by the name of Eminem blow up thanks to Dre and then of course Chronic 2001 came and changed the game.  Thats what Dre does when he drops albums and if you haven't learned that yet you need to accept it.  It is sad that many of you have been "programmed" to accept and love shitty music and ignorantly blast hip hop music actually made by musicians.  Kush is so sonically advanced from anything we have heard in a long time it isn't even funny.  Khalil produced it but you can hear Dre's influence on the drums and keys and mixing.  Dre will produce 95% of the album and his features will all be the shit so sit back and relax and keep bumping your favorite wack ass west coast rappers until the game is changed by one person once again.

Stan

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
Complaining.... people saying he's trying to go pop. Dre has always been pop. The only reason we are Dre fans today is because throughout his career he's focused on making music that bumps and will get airplay.

I don't know what's up with you and Dre is pop non-sense.  Dre doesn't go pop, he becomes "pop" through the masses because of his quality control.  You look at some "underground" or whatever you wanna call it artists and the one track on the album produced by Dr. Dre is the best.

This does not mean he intentionally produces pop music.  Pop is just a term "popular" that was made up for bestselling artists when recording began (The Beatles).  Nothing on 2001 is str8 up "pop" to me.   Your misusing the term to make it sound like Dres corny.  Gwen Stefani and Eve?  Now that's pop but that was the objective.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:52:16 PM by Stan »

Muhfukka

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »

:camp: :camp: :camp: :camp:

hahaha are you serious with this shit?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
Complaining.... people saying he's trying to go pop. Dre has always been pop. The only reason we are Dre fans today is because throughout his career he's focused on making music that bumps and will get airplay.

I don't know what's up with you and Dre is pop non-sense.  Dre doesn't go pop, he becomes "pop" through the masses because of his quality control.  You look at some "underground" or whatever you wanna call it artists and the one track on the album produced by Dr. Dre is the best.

This does not mean he intentionally produces pop music.  Pop is just a term "popular" that was made up for bestselling artists when recording began (The Beatles).  Nothing on 2001 is str8 up "pop" to me.  I'll give you Forgot About Dre as an exception but that's it.  Your misusing the term to make it sound like Dres corny.  Gwen Stefani and Eve?  Now that's pop but that was the objective.

I didn't say pop is corny. If you perceive it that way it says more about you than it doesn't about me. But you can't deny that Dre is pop (in a hip hop context). That's the type of music he's made throughout his career. I would say he's one of the main people responsible for commercializing hip hop.

People forget that gangster rap WAS pop in the 90s. A lot of us are here because its the music we grew up with blasting out our radios. You see 90s fans complaining about the commercialization of hip hop with autotune hooks and love songs....well the underground scene in the 90s was making the exact same complaints about gangster rap and G Funk. Because that's what was considered pop back then. And Dre was at the head that movement. Pop isn't one type of music only, its the kind of music that is appealing to the mainstream, and mainstream tastes change over time. Drake, Black Eyed Peas, Eminem etc. wouldn't have been considered pop in the 90s.

Just out of curiosity, what would make Forgot About Dre any more pop than the rest of the album?

You look at some "underground" or whatever you wanna call it artists and the one track on the album produced by Dr. Dre is the best.

To quote O.D.B. "nigga please." Stan indeed.

Nooc210

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Planets
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »

:camp: :camp: :camp: :camp:

hahaha are you serious with this shit?

really is that all your comin' w/ :laugh:
= :cow: eww... :puke:
nuff said. ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:28:42 PM by Nooc210 »
The Chonic • 2001 • Compton •
http://www.drdre.com

Muhfukka

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
europe  :grumpy:

Muhfukka

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 01:46:13 PM »
and basically youre saying that you find dr dre more attractive than dubcc's milf orit, pretty gay

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
and basically youre saying that you find dr dre more attractive than dubcc's milf orit, pretty gay

lmao

Jimmy H.

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2010, 02:55:59 PM »
I don't agree with this, because I'm hyped that we seem to be getting Haven't You Heard in CDQ with a proper release.  In fact, suppose they dropped Haven't You Heard properly with CDQ sonics and Detox on the same day.  I would definitely buy Haven't You Heard because I know I won't be disappointed, but I would preview Detox first, because I'm not as certain as with Haven't You Heard that I won't be disappointed.

I respect the point that you're making, which is that the "old" west coast music only holds up today because of nostalgia, and it really isn't all that great -- certainly not great enough to compete in today's era of music.  I'm sure a lot of young people today feel that way.  What you are saying is true, commercially speaking.  But when it comes to pure musical enjoyment, I'd be willing to bet that I will enjoy Haven't You Heard more than Detox, because I enjoy that style more.  The bottom line to me is that Kush is Dr. Dre's worst single so far, even including The Aftermath compilation.
I'm not saying that old West Coast music is only good because of nostalgia. I'm saying nostalgia is creating an unreleastic expectation about Detox. There is a group that are expecting it to be a nostalgia record. They want something that will remind them of what the 90's was like and anything that isn't that will make them angry. Your "Haven't You Heard" comparison works for a great example. That is a nostalgia record. It's old recordings put together to appeal to the demographic that loves that music. Detox is new material trying to compete in the current musical landscape. As were the other two Dre albums during their times. People are convinced of what a Dr. Dre album should be. "Jay-Z can't be on Detox. He wasn't on the last two. It should be only West Coast and that's it." Everyone has their own opinion of what a Dr. Dre album should be. That's why I say it just needs to come out. People have to have that enitial grieving period where they over-anaylze it and rip it apart because no matter how good the album is, it's not going to be the magic time machine that brings G-Funk back to the pop charts. So many people's heads are so far removed from reality that they need time to get over it. It's not the fountain of youth. It's a fucking rap album.