Author Topic: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist  (Read 1157 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
I have an aunt who claimed to see Jesus, the devil and angels in her life. She would cry and get emotional every time she mentioned her encounters with the super natural.

She is a diagnosed schizophrenic.

500 years ago if you said you knew for sure God didn't exist they called you crazy and locked you. Now if you say you know for sure God does exist they call you crazy and lock you away. Maybe she is nuts and she just sees things in her own mind. Maybe she really does see these things, like Galileo and Copernicus saw the planets moving around the sun, and it's going to take a while for the rest of the world to accept that.

Because you see, in Ancient Greece, 2000+ years ago it was okay to see the planets moving around the sun and to see and talk to Gods at the same time.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 03:20:04 PM »
I don't know why people don't want a God
History has proven plenty of times people don't like it when 1 person has too much power.
Especially one as powerful and bitter as the God which is described in the old testament.

we're talking about a god, we're not talking bout an alien society that created and is overlooking us, than they would just be aliens, with sufficient technology to create life. we're talking bout A GOD, something that creates matter, gravity, planets, conscious thoughts, dreams.

and to your earlier post also, a random individual in an advanced society? lol wow, come to reality kid, if it were an individual over looking humanity whats stopping others to interfere? and if they werent able to interfere are we mere ants in an ant farm? how would time process? are our lives comparable to a common house fly to them? as our life time is a mere minute? or couple seconds to them? and would the whole concept of good and evil apply to them? given that (considering Christianity) that the creater is divine and all good?

funny how you would say "universal" on this topic, really bad term to use when we basically are talking bout the universe. its more like humanities standards.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
I have an aunt who claimed to see Jesus, the devil and angels in her life. She would cry and get emotional every time she mentioned her encounters with the super natural.

She is a diagnosed schizophrenic.

500 years ago if you said you knew for sure God didn't exist they called you crazy and locked you. Now if you say you know for sure God does exist they call you crazy and lock you away. Maybe she is nuts and she just sees things in her own mind. Maybe she really does see these things, like Galileo and Copernicus saw the planets moving around the sun, and it's going to take a while for the rest of the world to accept that.

Because you see, in Ancient Greece, 2000+ years ago it was okay to see the planets moving around the sun and to see and talk to Gods at the same time.

well that was than and this is now, imo, religions been there for nations to keep control  of the general population and use it for propaganda etc etc. because nonetheless rather if people did believe it or not it did keep in conrtrol of the population and propaganda in the history of mankind.

the fact that its less accepted in society today (as in seeing god, etc, etc ) is that we dont need it anymore, people are more educated, they know whats morally right and wrong without the need of religion, thus the case where it makes religious fanataics and zealots unacceptable,

if they truly believe in a religion, (takking christianity as an example because its the easiest as i grew up in a protestant family) and u interpet a verse in the bible or someone like a priest told you it was the word of god to kill and rid of heretics and heathens, than thats pertty dangerous, kinda like the jihad 500 virgin bs, because if u do gods willing youll go to heaven, which can makes you homicidal/ suicidal, or sway a large group or mob to go on a modern day crusade (which wont happen but just making a point)

although i also have doubts about global warming, theres no doubt we're harming our environment, and we have limited natural resources that we greatly depend on, overpopulation is a huge problem, and with limited natural resources, and the total amount of energy we put into agriculture, theres going to be famine and war.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Anunikke

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I don't know why people don't want a God
History has proven plenty of times people don't like it when 1 person has too much power.
Especially one as powerful and bitter as the God which is described in the old testament.

we're talking about a god, we're not talking bout an alien society that created and is overlooking us, than they would just be aliens, with sufficient technology to create life. we're talking bout A GOD, something that creates matter, gravity, planets, conscious thoughts, dreams.

and to your earlier post also, a random individual in an advanced society? lol wow, come to reality kid, if it were an individual over looking humanity whats stopping others to interfere? and if they werent able to interfere are we mere ants in an ant farm? how would time process? are our lives comparable to a common house fly to them? as our life time is a mere minute? or couple seconds to them? and would the whole concept of good and evil apply to them? given that (considering Christianity) that the creater is divine and all good?

funny how you would say "universal" on this topic, really bad term to use when we basically are talking bout the universe. its more like humanities standards.
1. Why would I interfere with your shitty science project?
2. The Same reason I'm not posting with your account, I could probably do it but it's too much work for an outcome not worth it.

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
I always get into it with a friend at work that pushes her Christian beliefs on me. I think organized religion is a crock of shit. She told me I would burn in hell for not believing in god. And when I told her I do not believe in heaven or hell, she said "heaven is much better than here (real life), this is just temporary. I'm gonna live in paradise for eternity." Then I asked her why doesn't she just go kill herself. She replied "you can't go to heaven if you kill yourself." None of this shit makes sense to me. I'll admit that I am conflicted in where I stand as far as how we came about. Did we evolve from a fish?? Adam and eve? We'll never know. But I lean more toward science on this one.

Shallow I read your first couple of posts, how an atheist wouldn't know how to explain evolution. But the same can be said for a lot of people and their religion. A lot of people don't know why they do the things they do. Give something up for 40 days? (Or however many days it is.) What is that going to do for you? These people only believe it because it's all they've known since they were a child. They just repeat what their parents say and don't really follow the word of the bible. A lot of these people feel like you are attacking them when you question them. When in actuality I question them to gain a better understanding of their beliefs.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Shallow I read your first couple of posts, how an atheist wouldn't know how to explain evolution. But the same can be said for a lot of people and their religion. A lot of people don't know why they do the things they do. Give something up for 40 days? (Or however many days it is.) What is that going to do for you? These people only believe it because it's all they've known since they were a child. They just repeat what their parents say and don't really follow the word of the bible. A lot of these people feel like you are attacking them when you question them. When in actuality I question them to gain a better understanding of their beliefs.

My whole point is atheists and theists are very similar with their beliefs and how they cannot explain them. I never said otherwise. And I never said Christians in general can better explain their beliefs. They can't. The difference is that atheists play the "I'm smarter than you" card but can't back it up. Christians play the moral card usually, and they usually don't back it up either.

BG Rapsodie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »

My whole point is atheists and theists are very similar with their beliefs and how they cannot explain them. I never said otherwise. And I never said Christians in general can better explain their beliefs. They can't. The difference is that atheists play the "I'm smarter than you" card but can't back it up. Christians play the moral card usually, and they usually don't back it up either.

Not really. Evolution is fairly easy to explain considering we all learned about it in grade school.

I'd also like to point out that the two people you've mentioned so far, Al Gore and Leonardo Dicaprio are both theists.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »

Not really. Evolution is fairly easy to explain considering we all learned about it in grade school.

I'd also like to point out that the two people you've mentioned so far, Al Gore and Leonardo Dicaprio are both theists.

So then break it down, cell by cell and explain it to me. Tell me what causes what in the process, and how science came to each conclusion. What you learned in grade school was the result of what science found. You never learned the science. And to even think it could be taught in grade school, to children, shows how little you understand about evolution and science.