Author Topic: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist  (Read 2435 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I'm An Atheist
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
No one has ever seen carbon destroy the earth. There is no science behind it, just environmentalists pushing agendas.

Do you know what you are talking about? Carbon can't destroy the earth. If you're going to deflect the topic away from God and to global warming at least explain it properly. I'll ignore what you said about Jesus, per your request.

I already stated I only believe in the good I do because that's the one I want to believe in. You can't use what I said about me and make it seem like you came up with it.

That's not a real answer.

I don't know why people don't want a God or will believe what they want. Freud might be better at figuring that out than me. I'm just telling you how I see it.

But you know why YOU do presumably. That's what I'm asking.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:50:25 PM by THE RAPTURE »

Anunikke

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
I don't know why people don't want a God
History has proven plenty of times people don't like it when 1 person has too much power.
Especially one as powerful and bitter as the God which is described in the old testament.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
No one has ever seen carbon destroy the earth. There is no science behind it, just environmentalists pushing agendas.

Do you know what you are talking about? Carbon can't destroy the earth. If you're going to deflect the topic away from God and to global warming at least explain it properly. I'll ignore what you said about Jesus, per your request.

I already stated I only believe in the good I do because that's the one I want to believe in. You can't use what I said about me and make it seem like you came up with it.

I don't know why people don't want a God or will believe what they want. Freud might be better at figuring that out than me. I'm just telling you how I see it.

I don't care about Global warming. The point is there is nothing scientific about saying we are doing it by not going green fast enough. The whole carbon will destroy the earth is a play on words implying the agenda the nuts are pushing. Ever wonder why you don't see any actual scientists at the forefront of this? Every major scientific claim has at least one scientist that becomes a major celebrity because of it. Global Warming has none, because they no better than to look foolish.

Yes it is a real answer, because it was my original claim that you tried to use against me as a question. I said that the reason I am a Christian is the same reason atheists are atheist, and polytheists are polytheists; because it suits each of us to think the way we think. I didn't call anyone closed minded. I said atheists used the I'm smarter than that card, I never said they were less smart. I said we were equal.

I don't know why I want to believe in God, what made me this way. That's why I brought up Freud. You have to really study a person to figure out something like that. Nature, nurture, whatever. Why do I like Nutella in the morning on untoasted sliced bread, and peanut butter at night on toasted bread, and if I have either at the other time it feels weird?

Bad example meant to highlight how trivial it is to attempt at figuring out a person's desire to believe in God. The truth is I feel it is a very deep subconscious matter that would take a team of therapists a few years to figure out.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
Snow just caved in the Metrodome, and California has too much rain... global warming my ass.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 05:36:45 AM »
yea nutella just ended this argument.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 06:35:47 AM »
Snow just caved in the Metrodome, and California has too much rain... global warming my ass.

For the record, I'm not doubting Global Warming. The core of the earth has warmed so many tenths of a degrees, like it did in the first 30 years of the 1900s. I'm saying the "science" behind the claim that it is man made from carbon emissions does not exist. If it did you'd see scientists, not politicians and actors, explaining how carbon is doing it. You don't see them. There's also no evidence to support catastrophe if the Earth warms another few tenths of a degrees.

Where there is scientific evidence is from solar physicists who claim there will be a sun cooling cycle that will start at around 2019 and thus cool the earth at that point. So I expect another Ice Age scare from Leo and co. at about 2025. He'll need it then to revitalize his then dead career.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 06:56:52 AM »
well, at least you are consistent. Can't see God, doesn't exist, can't see gas, they are not causing global warming, can't see radio waves, radio sucks, can't see cell phone signals, cell phones must cause cancer, can't see Wi-Fi, own a desktop and only use that because Wi-Fi doesn't exist.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 06:57:10 AM »
yea nutella just ended this argument.

yum

JohnnyL

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »

Actually, Shallow is correct in that there are some environmentalists that have said that too much carbon dioxide has caused a rise in global warming.  It's called the Greenhouse Effect, and G.S. Callendar made this argument waaaay back in 1938.  The Carnegie Institution for Science made basically the same allegation as recently as this year.  Not all scientists agree with it, and if you're saying it's a bad argument I would agree with you.  Considering carbon dioxide is a by-product of breathing, it's not as though you can do away with it.  But it is a real argument.

Sikotic™

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
I have an aunt who claimed to see Jesus, the devil and angels in her life. She would cry and get emotional every time she mentioned her encounters with the super natural.

She is a diagnosed schizophrenic.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 08:27:39 AM »
I have an aunt who claimed to see Jesus, the devil and angels in her life. She would cry and get emotional every time she mentioned her encounters with the super natural.

500 years ago if you said you knew for sure God didn't exist they called you crazy and locked you. Now if you say you know for sure God does exist they call you crazy and lock you away. Maybe she is nuts and she just sees things in her own mind. Maybe she really does see these things, like Galileo and Copernicus saw the planets moving around the sun, and it's going to take a while for the rest of the world to accept that.

Because you see, in Ancient Greece, 2000+ years ago it was okay to see the planets moving around the sun and to see and talk to Gods at the same time.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
History has proven plenty of times people don't like it when 1 person has too much power.
Especially one as powerful and bitter as the God which is described in the old testament.

we're talking about a god, we're not talking bout an alien society that created and is overlooking us, than they would just be aliens, with sufficient technology to create life. we're talking bout A GOD, something that creates matter, gravity, planets, conscious thoughts, dreams.

and to your earlier post also, a random individual in an advanced society? lol wow, come to reality kid, if it were an individual over looking humanity whats stopping others to interfere? and if they werent able to interfere are we mere ants in an ant farm? how would time process? are our lives comparable to a common house fly to them? as our life time is a mere minute? or couple seconds to them? and would the whole concept of good and evil apply to them? given that (considering Christianity) that the creater is divine and all good?

funny how you would say "universal" on this topic, really bad term to use when we basically are talking bout the universe. its more like humanities standards.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »

500 years ago if you said you knew for sure God didn't exist they called you crazy and locked you. Now if you say you know for sure God does exist they call you crazy and lock you away. Maybe she is nuts and she just sees things in her own mind. Maybe she really does see these things, like Galileo and Copernicus saw the planets moving around the sun, and it's going to take a while for the rest of the world to accept that.

Because you see, in Ancient Greece, 2000+ years ago it was okay to see the planets moving around the sun and to see and talk to Gods at the same time.

well that was than and this is now, imo, religions been there for nations to keep control  of the general population and use it for propaganda etc etc. because nonetheless rather if people did believe it or not it did keep in conrtrol of the population and propaganda in the history of mankind.

the fact that its less accepted in society today (as in seeing god, etc, etc ) is that we dont need it anymore, people are more educated, they know whats morally right and wrong without the need of religion, thus the case where it makes religious fanataics and zealots unacceptable,

if they truly believe in a religion, (takking christianity as an example because its the easiest as i grew up in a protestant family) and u interpet a verse in the bible or someone like a priest told you it was the word of god to kill and rid of heretics and heathens, than thats pertty dangerous, kinda like the jihad 500 virgin bs, because if u do gods willing youll go to heaven, which can makes you homicidal/ suicidal, or sway a large group or mob to go on a modern day crusade (which wont happen but just making a point)

although i also have doubts about global warming, theres no doubt we're harming our environment, and we have limited natural resources that we greatly depend on, overpopulation is a huge problem, and with limited natural resources, and the total amount of energy we put into agriculture, theres going to be famine and war.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Anunikke

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

we're talking about a god, we're not talking bout an alien society that created and is overlooking us, than they would just be aliens, with sufficient technology to create life. we're talking bout A GOD, something that creates matter, gravity, planets, conscious thoughts, dreams.

and to your earlier post also, a random individual in an advanced society? lol wow, come to reality kid, if it were an individual over looking humanity whats stopping others to interfere? and if they werent able to interfere are we mere ants in an ant farm? how would time process? are our lives comparable to a common house fly to them? as our life time is a mere minute? or couple seconds to them? and would the whole concept of good and evil apply to them? given that (considering Christianity) that the creater is divine and all good?

funny how you would say "universal" on this topic, really bad term to use when we basically are talking bout the universe. its more like humanities standards.
1. Why would I interfere with your shitty science project?
2. The Same reason I'm not posting with your account, I could probably do it but it's too much work for an outcome not worth it.

elmizzy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
I always get into it with a friend at work that pushes her Christian beliefs on me. I think organized religion is a crock of shit. She told me I would burn in hell for not believing in god. And when I told her I do not believe in heaven or hell, she said "heaven is much better than here (real life), this is just temporary. I'm gonna live in paradise for eternity." Then I asked her why doesn't she just go kill herself. She replied "you can't go to heaven if you kill yourself." None of this shit makes sense to me. I'll admit that I am conflicted in where I stand as far as how we came about. Did we evolve from a fish?? Adam and eve? We'll never know. But I lean more toward science on this one.

Shallow I read your first couple of posts, how an atheist wouldn't know how to explain evolution. But the same can be said for a lot of people and their religion. A lot of people don't know why they do the things they do. Give something up for 40 days? (Or however many days it is.) What is that going to do for you? These people only believe it because it's all they've known since they were a child. They just repeat what their parents say and don't really follow the word of the bible. A lot of these people feel like you are attacking them when you question them. When in actuality I question them to gain a better understanding of their beliefs.