Author Topic: Has a rap album EVER received praise like MBDTF?  (Read 1029 times)

Anunikke

Re: Has a rap album EVER received praise like MBDTF?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
Mainstream-
noun 1.
the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend:

–adjective 3.
belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist.

Kanye is a mainstream artist, but his new album is nowhere close to being the dominant movement in the industry (right now).  Like I said before, he's always been a trendsetter.  
Kanye's album is the dominant album right now?
Liking the kanye album is a characteristic of the dominant music culture now.

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »
This is the best fucking albums I've heard in years.........not just hip hop album, but ALBUM! It's so innovative and rebellious in terms of how music is structured (or apparently supposed to be structured), especially in hip hop.......I fucking love all the long ass instrumental interludes and use of various singer's vocals on different parts of the track.......and it's Kanye's most lyrical album as a rapper, but yet he still sticks to the same subject matter/persona from previous albums.......he even got fucking Chris Rock to do a whole comedy skit on a track..........you honestly have to listen to the whole album, without any skipping, to truly appreciate the album......in my opinion its one of the illest and most futuristic albums in hip hop history

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 02:31:28 PM »
Mainstream-
noun 1.

–adjective 3.
belonging to or characteristic of a principal, dominant, or widely accepted group, movement, style, etc.: mainstream Republicans; a mainstream artist.

Kanye is a mainstream artist, but his new album is nowhere close to being the dominant movement in the industry (right now).  Like I said before, he's always been a trendsetter.  

Sure everybody is talking about it but stylistically, nobody is doing it this way.  Nobody still hasn't answered my question from earlier about who else that is mainstream is doing what Kanye is doing right now.  NOBODY.  Not Eminem, not Lil' Wayne.  Not any indie artist, not any electronic artists.  Nobody.  To simply say, "best of the mainstream" is an insult to his music.  

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
And really if you break it down, it's only music nerds that are loving this the most.  The actual mainstream crowd doesn't give a fuck about this album.  If it did, Kanye's album would have been topping the charts throughout the world too. 

Anunikke

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »
Mainstream-
noun 1.

–adjective 3.

Sure everybody is talking about it but stylistically, nobody is doing it this way.  Nobody still hasn't answered my question from earlier about who else that is mainstream is doing what Kanye is doing right now.  NOBODY.  Not Eminem, not Lil' Wayne.  Not any indie artist, not any electronic artists.  Nobody.  To simply say, "best of the mainstream" is an insult to his music.  
The album was released less then a month ago, nobody had the chance to do the same yet.
Unless you count those countless freestyles over the Power, Monster & Dark Fantasy beats.

teecee

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
Relapse was #1 all over the world i think ??? ???

It was. As far as sales & popularity go, it's miles ahead.

But Kanye's album is better than Em's.

Exactly.  I'm not talking sales, I'm talking critical acclaim Lucifuge.

teecee

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
dre's first chronic

dre's 2nd chronic

biggies ready to die

biggie's 2nd double cd, think its life after death

2pac's all eyez on me, with him gettin out of jail on bail and all that

2pac's makaveli, his last "real" cd he put together and recorded in what 7 days?

Eminem's first and 2nd cd, more his 2nd cd really

Outkast - Stankonia "im sorry mrs jackson, oooooo, and I am for REEEEEEEEEEEEEL"

if you wanna be totally honest, Vanilla Ice - to the extreme. Stupid waste of plastic sold like 60 mill or so worldwide, 10 mill plus in america

Westside Connection Bown Down - this was super hyped back when it first came out

Wu Tang's double cd, 2nd cd, return to the 36 chambers was it? with killer bees or whatever as the single. HUGE publicicty and critical acclaim

Beastie Boys - they def jam album. Yes its super old, but bein an all white group on def jam when rap was startin to be huge. They held they own, and had a huge following, and huge praise for their work. Still do. Russ Simmons even gives them mad props.

Run DMC - started the fashion of rap, started doin collabos with other genre's, invented a style of rap. They were deffinatly stand outs and got alot of praise.

N.W.A. or even Eazy E, Cube, or Dre individually - NWA started with no video/radio play and that quickly changed due to the overwhelming demand on the radio and for their music. It was like the beatles of the late 80's early 90's. They changed the game

Eminem - you already know

Ludacris - hailed as soon as his first album dropped as the new king of hip hop. What is he now lol

Puffy - he gets mad props for his sampling abilities and production and all that, dude cant even write his own raps, and he cant rap period. At least he used to be able to dance a lil. SUPER overpraised for his work.

for some reason I jus wanna include madd rapper. He got super super praise and rub off other artists, then his cd drop and its fuckin terrible. Biggest overhyped piece of shit ever.

Again, I'm not talking sales and shit, I'm talking critical acclaim, reviews, etc.  Do some research...which one of those cd's got major praise OUTSIDE of hiphop?  SOme of ya'll missing the point

teecee

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 03:08:07 PM »
people should get acclaimed for their work, but when ur crazy and u think ur larger than life - that is not healhty..

Healthy?

Y'all some bitches.

It's the best hip-hop album of the year and it also happens to be his best work.

::)
so that makes it the best album of the year, huh?
make a run for ur money

Kanye West's current attitude is a traditional one to have in the hip hop genre.  Healthy or not, rappers have been battling each other for decades saying who is the best.  In this particular case there isn't a beef, but Kanye claims to be the best hip hop artist and this culture has always been like that.  People just love to hate on this guy for X amount of reasons.  "He's too arrogant", "he was an asshole for the Taylor Swift incident", "ignorant motherfucker for the katrina/Bush incident",  "He's part of the Illuminati", "look at this dude's fashion, what a faggot".  This attitude dominates more than any of the good press this guy is getting right now.  People still have to apologize before saying they like Kanye these days.  "Oh, dude's a fucking dick but he makes good music".

yeah, but Kanye is an extreme example.. he is crazy and insane.. and u cant feed him more ego, before he tries to run for president. good confidence is one thing - Napoleon-syndrome is somethin totally different..

granted, he makes great msuic -- but he isnt better than  everybody else.. he's just good in his field -- but the dude tries to transcend that over the top, and compare himself to everybody..

quoting Quincy Jones,

"he's just a rapper"..

See, I dont' have a problem with Quincy saying Kanye isn't on his level, but how is Kanye "just a rapper".  Name one other artist who really CRAFTS an album like Kanye

teecee

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 03:09:25 PM »
I'd call it the best mainstream album of the year, so I guess I agree with all the acclaim.
this

What's the best non-mainstream album then?  
Kill Devil Hills / Dinner & A Movie / Season of the Assassin

Now, why is Kanye the mainstream album? I want to know the other main stream albums that have this...

-9 minute hip hop ballads with a voice solo outro
-1/3 of the album have a folk singer be on the songs
-guitar solo in between two verses

The thing is that Kanye isn't mainstream, his music and actions just become the standard for mainstream.  

He's mainstream because he's a big name and people pay attention to him. I've listened to several albums that I think are better this year, but none of them are mainstream so they aren't being reviewed by major publications or being heard by the average hip hop fan. So its no surprise to me that's its being called album of the year (aka album of the year out of the albums that most people are aware of).

I agree...there are other albums that are better...but even the underground publications are giving this album of the year

teecee

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
dre's first chronic

dre's 2nd chronic

biggies ready to die

biggie's 2nd double cd, think its life after death

2pac's all eyez on me, with him gettin out of jail on bail and all that

2pac's makaveli, his last "real" cd he put together and recorded in what 7 days?

Eminem's first and 2nd cd, more his 2nd cd really

Outkast - Stankonia "im sorry mrs jackson, oooooo, and I am for REEEEEEEEEEEEEL"

if you wanna be totally honest, Vanilla Ice - to the extreme. Stupid waste of plastic sold like 60 mill or so worldwide, 10 mill plus in america

Westside Connection Bown Down - this was super hyped back when it first came out

Wu Tang's double cd, 2nd cd, return to the 36 chambers was it? with killer bees or whatever as the single. HUGE publicicty and critical acclaim

Beastie Boys - they def jam album. Yes its super old, but bein an all white group on def jam when rap was startin to be huge. They held they own, and had a huge following, and huge praise for their work. Still do. Russ Simmons even gives them mad props.

Run DMC - started the fashion of rap, started doin collabos with other genre's, invented a style of rap. They were deffinatly stand outs and got alot of praise.

N.W.A. or even Eazy E, Cube, or Dre individually - NWA started with no video/radio play and that quickly changed due to the overwhelming demand on the radio and for their music. It was like the beatles of the late 80's early 90's. They changed the game

Eminem - you already know

Ludacris - hailed as soon as his first album dropped as the new king of hip hop. What is he now lol

Puffy - he gets mad props for his sampling abilities and production and all that, dude cant even write his own raps, and he cant rap period. At least he used to be able to dance a lil. SUPER overpraised for his work.

for some reason I jus wanna include madd rapper. He got super super praise and rub off other artists, then his cd drop and its fuckin terrible. Biggest overhyped piece of shit ever.

Again, I'm not talking sales and shit, I'm talking critical acclaim, reviews, etc.  Do some research...which one of those cd's got major praise OUTSIDE of hiphop?  SOme of ya'll missing the point

I'd say  maybe Dre's Chronic, but not on the level of Ye's new one.  At least not when it first dropped

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
^So just because Kanye has built an enormous image for himself, as a person, over the years his music must suffer to be put in that "mainstream" category & be shrugged & looked lesser on by people like you who will always support an underground album first?

I heard "Dinner & A Movie" & Brotha Lynch Hung made a great album, but it's not undeniably better than Kanye's album.

You hear an album like "Recovery", that's mainstream to me. You hear Eminem selling out & you truly get that feeling that the label tells him what to do & he does it. You listen to Kanye's album & you get that vibe that Kanye did whatever he wanted on that album & nobody is pushing him to make certain music, he does what he wants.

Now just because he's a highly recognized public figure & his work is popular regardless of what it sounds like, he can't be in that "great Hip Hop" discussion? He has to be in that "well..for a mainstream album...." grouping?

Not cool.

Where do you get the picture this is dissing Kanye? I'm actually singling him out and giving him more praise than I should. If I were rating the best albums of 2010, regardless of their impact, I wouldn't rate his as number 1. But I do think its an achievement to have the best album in mainstream music. That's why I said it deserves its acclaim.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »
Mainstream-
noun 1.

–adjective 3.

EXACTLY my point. That's why I said I think its the album of the year out of the mainstream. Mostly because I thought it was a better album than most but also because I find it more interesting and creative than other mainstream releases. But once you look outside the mainstream he's obviously not the only one collaborating with folk singers or putting guitar solos on a track.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2010, 03:44:03 PM »
Once a person decides to sell their soul, can they choose critical acclaim from the media over record sales? 

If you took some time to research that 95% of all US media is owned by about 5 dudes, you would (hopefully) connect the dots.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:12 PM »
Kanye sold his soul an that is why it is getting all the praise. Literally he sold his soul. Media praise goes hand in hand. I'm not joking either.

Sold his soul?

Yes. His mom was his blood sacrifice. Hollywood, record labels, tv, radio, print media, are owned by a group of dudes that front like they are Jews but they actually worship lucifer. MANY MANY of your favorite artists, especially the ones that have the crazy levels of success join.

Kanye even freestyles at a concert about it. There are TONS more examples if u research a bit.

Anunikke

« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »
Kanye sold his soul an that is why it is getting all the praise. Literally he sold his soul. Media praise goes hand in hand. I'm not joking either.

Sold his soul?

Yes. His mom was his blood sacrifice. Hollywood, record labels, tv, radio, print media, are owned by a group of dudes that front like they are Jews but they actually worship lucifer. MANY MANY of your favorite artists, especially the ones that have the crazy levels of success join.

Kanye even freestyles at a concert about it. There are TONS more examples if u research a bit.
If you think lucifer is the enemy you haven't done research at all.