Author Topic: G. Dep confesses to 1993 murder  (Read 292 times)

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

G. Dep confesses to 1993 murder
« on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:40 AM »
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40771188
Just in case I need proof of this.

NEW YORK — The 1993 killing of a man outside a housing complex was a cold case for years until a suspect appeared on detectives' doorstep last week.

Apparently haunted by his secret, once-promising rapper G. Dep walked into a police precinct to confess to the shooting, authorities said. The rapper is being held without bail after surprised investigators matched the details he provided to the unsolved slaying of John Henkel. Initially charged with murder, he was indicted Tuesday on a charge that won't be disclosed until a court date next month.

For the 36-year-old G. Dep, the case marks a nadir in his long fall from rapper on the rise. After scoring a couple of hits in the early 2000s, he has been mired in drug and legal problems in recent years, though he was attempting a comeback with an album released online this year.

But the shooting case also represents his determination to turn a troubled life around, his lawyer said Tuesday.

"He's trying to remake his life," attorney Michael Alperstein said. Guided by a substance-treatment program, "he was making amends," Alperstein said.

The bearded rapper said nothing during a brief appearance Tuesday in a Manhattan court, looking back at about a dozen relatives and supporters as he was led away. They declined to comment afterward.

Henkel was shot in the chest three times outside an East Harlem apartment complex early on Oct. 19, 1993, well before G. Dep's brief heyday. The rapper told a detective last week he pulled a .40-caliber handgun to rob the victim and fired when he resisted.

At the time of the shooting, "I didn't think about it" — or even realize the man had died until investigators told him so last week, the rapper told the New York Post in a jail interview published Sunday.

But, he said, the shooting ate away at him over the years.

"I started to wonder if all the bad things that happened to me in my life were karma for what I did. ... You start to think, 'My happiness is because of someone else's sadness,'" he told the newspaper. "I thought that if I turned myself in, it might give me closure."
Advertisement | ad info

G. Dep, born Trevell Coleman, was one of the rising stars of hip-hop impresario Sean "Diddy" Combs' Bad Boy Records label in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

G. Dep had hits with "Special Delivery" and "Let's Get It," the second of which featured Diddy and Black Rob. G. Dep's videos helped popularize a loose-limbed dance called the Harlem shake, which made the rounds among clubgoers in the early 2000s.

But the Harlem-based rapper's career slumped after his 2001 debut album, "Child of the Ghetto."

He ran through his money and got entangled with drugs, he told the Daily News of New York in 2007, fresh from three weeks in jail after an arrest on charges stemming from a dispute with a cell-phone salesman.

It was one of at least a dozen arrests on drug, disorderly conduct and other charges since the 1990s. He pleaded guilty to trespassing as recently as last month and was sentenced to 20 days in jail, records show.

Still, G. Dep has been trying to revive his career. He digitally released a new album, "Ghetto Legend," this year with a new label, Famous Records. Based in Coral Springs, Fla., it focuses on releasing music online.

CEO Jeffrey Collins said the rapper never mentioned the shooting but was frank about his other problems when they began working together about six months ago.

"He told me he was now clean," Collins said. "He wants a clean start."

That's why people need 2 think, instead of doing all the time >:( Everything bad you do is NOT ALWAYS WORTH IT.  I'm just glad he has remorse for what he's done.  He made his bed, now he's gotta lie in it. 

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: G. Dep confesses to 1993 murder
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »
Hes a fucking idiot
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:09:16 AM »
Hes a fucking idiot
+1.  And to think, my brother was mentioning about him sunday.  Heard that he might have been in jail.  Can't call this a bad boy curse.  Referring to other artists who was with puffy & now gets in trouble with the law.  Shine got with puffy, he in jail or might have got out recently I didn't keep up on him.  Black Rob in jail, Faith Evans got in trouble with the law also twice.  Heard that a day 26 member might have gotten in trouble with the law also.  Possibly, I just found out that 1 of them Que got kicked off the group.  I don't follow up on music like I used to.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:38:03 AM »
at least he didnt kill him in cold blood.. this was related to his "work" at the time..

plus, it takes a man - to show the blood on your hands..

HimselfTheMajestic

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:47 PM »
I actually really liked G. Dep's album. I used to bump that shit in the whip a lot. I want the world to see was my fucken jam. Damn man, what a sad story. I hope he finds the peace he's looking for though.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
Hes a fucking idiot
+1.  And to think, my brother was mentioning about him sunday.  Heard that he might have been in jail.  Can't call this a bad boy curse.  Referring to other artists who was with puffy & now gets in trouble with the law.  Shine got with puffy, he in jail or might have got out recently I didn't keep up on him.  Black Rob in jail, Faith Evans got in trouble with the law also twice.  Heard that a day 26 member might have gotten in trouble with the law also.  Possibly, I just found out that 1 of them Que got kicked off the group.  I don't follow up on music like I used to.

Shyne's been out for a while bro, he's in another country
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
much respect to anyone who turns themselves in for murder...god gives bonus points for that
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »
how many of yall would have done that...i got to keep it 100..i would not have turned in shit.sorry.

awol22222

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:17:13 PM »
Diddy On G-Dep Confessing His Murder

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 06:30:02 PM »
Hes a fucking idiot
i agree homie. there's no excuse for doin what dep did.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:02 PM »
how many of yall would have done that...i got to keep it 100..i would not have turned in shit.sorry.
likewise

then again id never shoot someone to begin with unless i had to
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 06:53:09 PM »
likewise

then again id never shoot someone to begin with unless i had to
i second that motion.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.