Author Topic: eminem Recovery still selling  (Read 1485 times)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
Re: eminem Recovery still selling
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »
Ofcourse singles matter, anyone trying to disclaim this would be an idiot because its what is played to the general public. Decent post too by action.

Anyway fact is, regardless of quality of single or not, eminem sells more because he is white. It aint got nothing to do with anyone on a hiphop forum saying he dont deserve to sell the records he sold, let him more millions who gives a fuck, if an album good, selll all you should but a cat who is as good as eminem or dropping an album as good or better with hits should be able to sell as much is the point.

This line here by action, a cat i find my hiphop side barely ever able to agree with is truth '..rest will unlikely sell like Eminem because they're not white.'...there are cats as good as eminem in hiphop or in the same league and young cats who are a lot fresher and clearer thinkers with more hunger who can drop material which is fresh but won't never get the spins airplay he does. And that aint to do just with the fact eminem has established himself, its to do with race. Anyone trying to say otherwise is dillusional.

An eminem record will get hype, radio play and played in places a record by a brother aint never gettin spun. real talk. Say what you want, but a corny wack song like without me, alot of eminem singles...i cant even think of the titles off the top of my head have been terrible but spun and hyped to death and played in places a joint which is so much better would never get given.

As for eminem being good for hiphop etc...he has been just as good for hiphop as he has been bad. And the same can be said for jimmy. I could go very deep into this but i just aint got the energy.

Regardless eminem is a talented cat who can still make good music, but dudes dropped a lot of garbage like encore (yes i know u love it action) and relapse (wack but a few dre groupies and white kids who love eminem will tell you its a masterpiece on production and lyrics and pretend the music is deep when its just poor).

Anyway eminem is one of the best to have done it in hiphop, nobody is denying that, only point is, dudes sells more because of his skin tone, not soley based on talent.

If it was just on talent and not skin colour, usher would have been regular selling twice the amounts justin did back a few years ago.

Maybe barriers are breaking down more now and people seem less aware of skin colour in kids under 18 or whatever, but it still has some sort of baring on chances of a record! Thats just a sad reality. People cannot look past skin colour, religion, where you from etc more often than not. Maybe y'all cool!

oh just on a side note, jrome hiphop knowledge eats anyone who posted in here.

-1-

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
I just can't buy into this conspiracy shit.  Maybe it's my naivety. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 11:20:13 PM »
ummm eminem has not sold anywhere near 5 million in the states. He sold 3.42million at the end of 2010. So unless he managed to sell another 2 million records somwhere in the last couple of weeks...he has not!

i think its worldwide sells

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:39 AM »
I just can't buy into this conspiracy shit.  Maybe it's my naivety. 
nah i'm with you. that shit is for crackheads

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:48 AM »

kemizt

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 06:09:20 AM »

An eminem record will get hype, radio play and played in places a record by a brother aint never gettin spun. real talk. Say what you want, but a corny wack song like without me, alot of eminem singles...i cant even think of the titles off the top of my head have been terrible but spun and hyped to death and played in places a joint which is so much better would never get given.

Now this is just silly to me. Define better. Those first singles off the the first three or four Em albums are slapstick comedy, and very similar to each other, but how does that make them worse than a first single by a lot of guys? Most rappers, most artists for that matter, have a style they've done to death and can be deemed boring. The bottom line is that those frat humor songs appeal to a certain demographic that no black, and I repeat, no black rapper is appealing to. I don't know if they should, or even if they could. It's a very white style of humor and it would almost always sound silly from a black guy. Just like white comedians cannot pull off certain black jokes, and like Eminem could never release a Tupac like song.

It's far greater than skin tone. It's the entire essence of the human being and the fans that get it. It's not with out exception, and sometimes it makes little sense, but Jimi Hendrix played black music in a black way and only really appealed to whites. Of course by that time the black society had shifted to another style while the white society was more into an older black style mixed with harder more eclectic sounds.

And you who complain about white this and white that fail to publicly recognize the obvious from the other side, even with in hip hop: Just like in white main stream a America a Talib Kweli single cannot be played in certain circles; in many black America circles where Lil Boozy or Soulja Boy might be acceptable a much better and more talented Asher Roth (who I'm not really a fan of) wouldn't be excepted. If it's deemed black-only the white world will be weary, but if it's deemed white-only the black world will be too.

The classic example I've always used is 5 to 1 by the Doors. I was huge into hip hop as a teen and started on my classic rock phase by 18 or 19. One of the first artists I got into was Jim Morrison and when I heard 5 to 1 I said this would make a great hip hop track. I played it around the projects and almost everyone called it shit or told me to turn it off. A year or so later Jay Z and Kanye use it for Takeover and everyone loves the track and loves the beat. And those assholes wouldn't even admit that I played it for them and they hated it. "I don't listen to that shit" was what I heard when I first played it and all I heard after wards was "that shit" played over and over. The Doors track was deemed white while the Jay track was deemed black.

Why would or should you expect anything different from whites? How many amazing white artists get praised in your circles? In your circles, not by you in specific.

Lucifuge

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 06:16:17 AM »
 apathy is white as mutherfucker why he aint selling? simple as that?
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

blazeindave213

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 05:54:05 PM »
and yet again he sells another 30,664 copies

Number    Last Week    Artist    Album    This Week
3    5
   Rihanna
   Loud
   Nicki Minaj
   Pink Friday
   Kanye West
   My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
   Eminem
   Recovery
   Jamie Foxx
   Best Night Of My Life
   TI
   No Mercy
   Lil Wayne
   I Am Not A Human Beings
   -
   Drake
   Thank Me Later
   Diddy Dirty Money
   Last Train To Paris
   -
   KiD CuDi
   Man On The Moon 2

http://www.rapbasement.com/sales-charts/011211-hip-hop-rap-and-rb-billboard-soundscan-sales-charts-for-the-week-ending-january-9th.html
hoe, if I tell yo flea to pull a tree you get a chain and hook his lil ass up.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
I know stronger but more as a daft punk song and that's about it.

lmao.

so you refer to every rap song as the original sampled artists? or did sampling daft punk just cripple your lil world so much that you couldnt even just call it a kanye song?

to be fair, that particular song was a straight jacking. Kanye showed laziness there.

i dont think its being fair at all actually. listen to the original song daft punk sampled from below. you could easily say that was far lazier. kanyes stronger is a lot different than daft punks than people are making it out to be. yet ghosftface can rap over 4 bars looped from a funk song and no-one complains at all. in my opinion its just because people actually know/listen to daft punk so they feel like they song has been ripped off. yet theyve never actually fucking listened to the soul and funk songs that all hip-hop is sample from so they dont realise that actually most of the time, producers just looped 4 bars and added a few extra kicks n snares. kanye changed the song completely and just kept the hook.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
great for em. great for hip hop. it shows hip hop is not dead although i'm not feeling recovery.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »

lmao.

so you refer to every rap song as the original sampled artists? or did sampling daft punk just cripple your lil world so much that you couldnt even just call it a kanye song?

to be fair, that particular song was a straight jacking. Kanye showed laziness there.

i dont think its being fair at all actually. listen to the original song daft punk sampled from below. you could easily say that was far lazier. kanyes stronger is a lot different than daft punks than people are making it out to be. yet ghosftface can rap over 4 bars looped from a funk song and no-one complains at all. in my opinion its just because people actually know/listen to daft punk so they feel like they song has been ripped off. yet theyve never actually fucking listened to the soul and funk songs that all hip-hop is sample from so they dont realise that actually most of the time, producers just looped 4 bars and added a few extra kicks n snares. kanye changed the song completely and just kept the hook.

The difference is Ghostface isn't credited or praised for the 4 bars; he is praised for the rapping. Kanye gets more praised for the instrumental than the vocals.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 05:25:51 PM »
hopefulply more people DL it off itunes for the SH song
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:28 PM »
I know stronger but more as a daft punk song and that's about it. I mentioned Empire State of Mind as being a hit already. Run This Town is a decent single but not a hit. Hard Knock Life was a hit. Eminem showed us with Relapse that he can't just release anything. There's no hits on that album and the sales suffered. He came back with a hit on Recovery and the sales went way up.

Kanye's version was more popular than the daft punk song, hence a "bigger" hit. How is Hard Knock Life a hit and Run This Town isn't when Run This Town did better? If you personally like a song better, that's all well and good, but your opinion doesn't make anything more of a hit. Its what the masses think of a song that makes it a hit.

Kanye has never come close to a masterpiece album. He thinks he has, and he's convinced a lot of people he has but he hasn't. Neither has Jay. And even mentioning Drake is an insult to the word masterpiece. For the record, Eminem hasn't either. I listen to a lot of albums from a lot of genres and I'm not bias. The second the art takes a back seat to the artist the album suffers. Illmatic is a masterpiece. 36 Chambers as well. Maybe the Makaveli album. But College Dropout? Reasonable Doubt? No fucking way. They're nice albums to listen to and you can get a lot from them but in the end they don't stand up as complete albums; just nice compilations of songs.

Again, this is just your opinion. Who are you to say what's a masterpiece and what isn't? What's funny is that you talk about a common theme when illmatic is one of the most random albums ever. There is no common theme drawing the album together. Its like a greatest hits compilation. In fact there isn't even a constant theme within each song. His rhymes are all over the place. Reasonable Doubt on the other hand actually has a theme. And for the record, how many genres you listen to doesn't make your opinion any more valid in a hip hop discussion. It actually makes you seem less knowledgeable since you can't seem to use rappers as examples. One of those "white journalist" types who really dont know shit about hip hop.

Kanye doesn't understand that. Nas probably didn't either at 19 years old; but Nas, and RZA had what they call a muse guiding their art. It's something much greater than anything thing the conscious mind can think up. Bob Dylan had it in the 60s. Jay Z's main purpose was business, not art, and business came first. With Kanye I think it's fame first, then art. Nas at 19 was trying to be great and the words and flows came from the heavens. Once he reached success and fame his focus changed and his muse was gone. More of his songs and albums came from the head rather than the heart, and he never reached a masterpiece level again.

You really don't know what drives an artist unless they come out and say it. Its easy to criticize Jay-Z once he straight out tells you he sold out to business.

I'm telling you that critical success and commercial success are different entities.

Obviously. Which one are you talking about? This whole argument began with you telling these "bums" to "make music and sell" instead of "selling themselves as artists without the art." You worded the phrase to imply they would sell more by focusing on the art. Now you're saying they need commercial hits to sell instead.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

lmao.

The difference is Ghostface isn't credited or praised for the 4 bars; he is praised for the rapping. Kanye gets more praised for the instrumental than the vocals.

that is entirely correct but it ignores the point that im making. kanye didnt just loop 4 bars now did he

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »
If Eminem was black he would have sold half. I agree with that.

However, if Eminem was black he would likely have been hailed as the GOAT by large parts of the hip-hop community.

So it's a two sided coin. His being white has helped him sell to the average (white) american, but it has also prevented him from getting the full respect that he rightfully deserves from the hip-hop community or at least the black part of the hip-hop community.