Author Topic: People say Dre fell off after '06?  (Read 2029 times)

I_ThePope_I

People say Dre fell off after '06?
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Those who say this, did you hear Relapse? I listened to it faded last night...

3 a.m.
Hello
Same Song & Dance
Medicine Ball
Stay Wide Awake
Old Time's Sake
Must Be The Ganja
Deja Vu
Crack A Bottle

All god-tier beats. Even the Dr. West intro was on some next level ish.

Knett

• 'G'
Re: People say Dre fell off after '06?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:30:36 PM »
Besides this I have to agree with what most people are saying.. I have yet to be impressed by the pre-detox tracks..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU</a>

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
Underground
Deja Vu
Stay Wide Awake

Those 3 in order, were on another level. Then beats like My Mom, Same Song & Dance, Hello, etc. were amazing, and helped this album shit on almost everything else that year (instrumentally speaking). Too bad Em completely ruined it with his gayass flow and shitty lyrics, like maybe on a few tracks, but not every fuckin track. I thought this was gonna be the "Detox sound" and it probably was at some point, but looks like not anymore.

And speaking of Relapse, I figured out today that the concept song with Dre on the phone, and the chainsaw on the beat (forgot the name) was most likely supposed to be after the into (instead of 1 AM). You can tell, since the end of the intro is him waking up, and the beginning of this song, it continues where the intro left off. To me, that was one of the best Eminem songs i've ever heard. Especially the part at the end where he starts mic-trading with his evil side, then Dre gets on the phone, and eventually they start rapping the same lines. Fuckin crazy track, which CAN be called a concept track.

EDIT - It was "My Darling" from the bonus tracks on Relapse. If you were to mix the bonus tracks and the Refill bonus disc with the original Relapse, you could actually come up with a pretty ill album, regardless of Eminem trying to ruin everything.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:44:30 PM by TDOT »

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
Have to agree with above. Stay wide awake is awesome
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Underground
Deja Vu
Stay Wide Awake

Those 3 in order, were on another level. Then beats like My Mom, Same Song & Dance, Hello, etc. were amazing, and helped this album shit on almost everything else that year (instrumentally speaking). Too bad Em completely ruined it with his gayass flow and shitty lyrics, like maybe on a few tracks, but not every fuckin track. I thought this was gonna be the "Detox sound" and it probably was at some point, but looks like not anymore.

And speaking of Relapse, I figured out today that the concept song with Dre on the phone, and the chainsaw on the beat (forgot the name) was most likely supposed to be after the into (instead of 1 AM). You can tell, since the end of the intro is him waking up, and the beginning of this song, it continues where the intro left off. To me, that was one of the best Eminem songs i've ever heard. Especially the part at the end where he starts mic-trading with his evil side, then Dre gets on the phone, and eventually they start rapping the same lines. Fuckin crazy track, which CAN be called a concept track.

EDIT - It was "My Darling" from the bonus tracks on Relapse. If you were to mix the bonus tracks and the Refill bonus disc with the original Relapse, you could actually come up with a pretty ill album, regardless of Eminem trying to ruin everything.
Agree, that some beats sounded really good.. altho the way Dre made those beats is kinda weak, they are simple, as always by Dre, but they are alot worse than his older productions.. no comparing, im happy Dre left this way behind him (hopefully)

EnzoUK

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
another dre thread...
Twitter: @EnzoUK

Matty

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
relapse had amazing sonics and mixing...definitely some 'next level' sounds. my major problem with dre's production was both the musical direction and lyrical content of it. not to say it doesn't work for what they were going for, but for me this was over the top and corny. couple of tracks were cool. i think some of quik's production on blaqkout was superior, crazy sonics and some vibes i could actually get down with.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
he fell off after 1992.........
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »

LOL, just so stupid

but, Relapse had incredible production
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
Just cause a beat is simple does not equate to bad and just because a beat is complex it does not mean it's good.

Dre's style has never really been "complex" by any standard.  Have you not heard Still Dre?  

Dre has a unique ear for sound that allows a track feel flush and full of atmosphere.  He brings out a specific energy in HOW IT SOUNDS.

The only thing that Dr.Dre apparently has been lacking for the past decade is confidence.  The proof of this is various interviews by artists affiliated with him such as Bishop Lamont & 50 cent.  Then there's all the other commentary concerning his perfectionism.  Add on top of the fact the recent Alex Da Kid produced track featuring eminem reflecting over Dr.Dre's lack of confidence.

edit:

Additionally, there is nothing wrong with his recent productions.  Kush is not a proper single for Dre to launch Detox. For beats? Sure.   His production on Relapse varied between good, amazing, and phenomenal.  The only thing lacking might be a certain energy (some say funk but still dre is not really funky yet it's packed with energy) that's traditionally associated wit his singles.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:50:07 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Just cause a beat is simple does not equate to bad and just because a beat is complex it does not mean it's good.

Dre's style has never really been "complex" by any standard.  Have you not heard Still Dre?  

Dre has a unique ear for sound that allows a track feel flush and full of atmosphere.  He brings out a specific energy in HOW IT SOUNDS.

The only thing that Dr.Dre apparently has been lacking for the past decade is confidence.  The proof of this is various interviews by artists affiliated with him such as Bishop Lamont & 50 cent.  Then there's all the other commentary concerning his perfectionism.  Add on top of the fact the recent Alex Da Kid produced track featuring eminem reflecting over Dr.Dre's lack of confidence.

edit:

Additionally, there is nothing wrong with his recent productions.  Kush is not a proper single for Dre to launch Detox. For beats? Sure.   His production on Relapse varied between good, amazing, and phenomenal.  The only thing lacking might be a certain energy (some say funk but still dre is not really funky yet it's packed with energy) that's traditionally associated wit his singles.

Exactly. You know what beat was real simple but than again would literally get me moving? Outta Control REMIX! That beat was fucken ridiculous in my opinion. And i agree that Relapse had some amazing beats. Stay Wide Awake was in another level. It was like a horror film. The beat was amazing and i also loved same song and dance even though you can also claim it was simple. But the sound was unique, as you can hear something of a choir in the background and the piano also simple but the sound was of a scary tune. Amazing beats and yes, eminem sometimes would kill the beat with his flow but like always came pretty hard with his lyrics and concepts.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Matty

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 07:33:58 PM »

edit:

Exactly. You know what beat was real simple but than again would literally get me moving? Outta Control REMIX! That beat was fucken ridiculous in my opinion. And i agree that Relapse had some amazing beats. Stay Wide Awake was in another level. It was like a horror film. The beat was amazing and i also loved same song and dance even though you can also claim it was simple. But the sound was unique, as you can hear something of a choir in the background and the piano also simple but the sound was of a scary tune. Amazing beats and yes, eminem sometimes would kill the beat with his flow but like always came pretty hard with his lyrics and concepts.

:bandit:

friscoliving

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
how his last album was the chronic  ;D (chronic 2001 *echo*)

what dre and em song are you talking about t-dot?

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
Dr. Dre In reality is in another level. He is better than what he was in the past. His SOUND changed but not his talent. He is taking beats in a different directions than most producers. Dr. Dre can make beats fit concepts perfectly. He uses sounds that can be used in a scary or horror movie. He can give you sad or happy tunes, fast or slow paced. Dr. Dre is making shit outta the movies. You listen to many relapse tracks and he takes you to Eminem's idea. Eminem talks a lot about killing, drugs, horror and Dr. Dre uses sounds and beats to match the concept BUT its still HIP HOP haha. Its still a RAP!! That's where i think Dr. Dre is incredible. The beat for Busta's album (Carried away ft. NAS) was amazing. Beat was fast paced with high energy, sound was on some gladiator shit but yet lets Busta and NAs floss their rhymes in a Poetic way. haha maybe im getting carried away but that's what I HEAR. This is the type of shit that i been waiting for in DETOX. Dr. Dre claimed in the past it would be something of a HIP HOp MUSICAL. The album would be a whole story and the beats would fit every "episode" or track in the album. If DR. Dre keeps his word, we might be listening to a HISTORIC HIP HOP ALBUM. The lyrics would obviously have to be on point but the production will be the other half of the album. Dr. Dre has never fell off in my opinion. I can choose so many beats that he did in the last 5 years that are exceptional. I think people need to listen more, maybe smoke some weed, put on your head phones and dissect the tracks behind the lyrics. Try and listen to every sound his mixes in the album. From the bass to the pianos to beat and just the sounds in the background because DRE will always surprise you with some shit.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
how his last album was the chronic  ;D (chronic 2001 *echo*)

what dre and em song are you talking about t-dot?

Dre has a few bars on the phone near the end. The part with the evil Em is sick, but I didn't think too much of this track when I first heard it. It's almost a year later that I really started liking it and now its one of my favourite Em tracks. Produced by Em too btw.