Author Topic: U.S. aid workers killed in Yemen  (Read 543 times)

Woodrow

U.S. aid workers killed in Yemen
« on: December 30, 2002, 03:27:03 AM »
SAN'A, Yemen (CNN) -- A suspected Islamic extremist shot dead three U.S. humanitarian workers and wounded a fourth at a missionary hospital in southern Yemen, according to a hospital spokeswoman.

A 35-year-old man, identified as Abid Abdulrazzaq Al-Kamil, was arrested by Yemeni security officials shortly after Monday's attack, according to Walid Al-Saqqaf, editor-in-chief of the Yemen Times.

Al-Saqqaf said the gunman reportedly sneaked into the hospital, posing as a father.

"One of the eyewitnesses there said that he came in the office as if he had a child beneath his jacket [but] it turned out to be ... a semi-automatic rifle that he used against them," he said.

Two of the victims were female, and one of the victims was an obstetrician, according to the newspaper. The injured worker was taken into surgery shortly after the attack, Al-Saqqaf reported.

The gunman opened fire at the U.S.-funded Baptist hospital in Jibla -- about 120 miles south of the capital San'a -- as the U.S. staff prepared to hand over control to local authorities, spokeswoman Julie Toma told CNN.

Al-Saqqaf reported that the gunman tracked down one of the victims in a separate room and shot him. "It seemed somewhat a pre-planned attack," he said.

"Perhaps the person who knew that they would be coming at that particular time ... wanted to do as much damage and harm as possible."

The U.S. Embassy in San'a issued a statement condemning the shooting, and urged Yemen's government to bring those responsible for the attack to justice.

"We call upon the Yemeni government to bring those responsible to justice," the statement said.

"We are advising American citizens in Yemen to enhance their personal security and are requesting additional protection for American citizens in Yemen."

Toma said hospital administrators believed the attack was an isolated event perhaps triggered by backlash against the transfer of power.

She said the full-service hospital has been providing medical services to Yemeni citizens for nearly 40 years.

Balian said about 30,000 Americans live in Yemen, most of them Yemeni-Americans.

Security in Yemen has been a U.S. priority since the October 2000 attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 sailors. That was blamed on terrorist group al Qaeda, which is held responsible for the September 11 attacks in New York and Washington.

Yemen, the ancestral homeland of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, is a hotbed for extremist Islamic militant groups, finding refuge in the country's mountainous, tribal strongholds.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/12/30/yemen.doctors/index.html

I just don't get it...  :-\

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re:U.S. aid workers killed in Yemen
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 09:59:39 AM »
Yeah, I saw this, terrible stuff, but before NIK or someone comes up with their "80% of Muslims" statistics or something like that, the American press conference noted how the nearby citizens of Yemen lined the pavement around the hospital in protest against the killings and in tribute to those who died.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2002, 11:44:52 AM »
lets also remember the poor palestenian kids that have been getting killed by Israeli soldiers.  

Woodrow

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2002, 12:06:36 PM »
lets also remember the poor palestenian kids that have been getting killed by Israeli soldiers.  

What does that have to do with the topic I posted?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 01:37:34 PM »

What does that have to do with the topic I posted?

im just paying tribute to people that are unrightfully dying.  its related to the topic.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2002, 02:40:54 PM »
you know what i dont understand? why all of a sudden posting articles is the common method of communicating for some of these people that post here? where are your opinions? what the hell does posting an article prove? its good once in a while , but when all i see is articles what is the purpose?

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Quakaveli

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2002, 02:53:45 PM »
Yeah, I saw this, terrible stuff, but before NIK or someone comes up with their "80% of Muslims" statistics or something like that, the American press conference noted how the nearby citizens of Yemen lined the pavement around the hospital in protest against the killings and in tribute to those who died.

You just loooove to defend muslims don't u?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2002, 02:59:19 PM »
And you just luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv to trash em dont ya?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Quakaveli

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2002, 03:05:07 PM »

If by muslims you mean terrorists, then id say ta respond wit a "HEEEEEYYYYYLLLL YYYYYEEEEEEEAH!"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2002, 03:21:44 PM »

If by muslims you mean terrorists, then id say ta respond wit a "HEEEEEYYYYYLLLL YYYYYEEEEEEEAH!"

do you hate terrorist because of what they did to America? or cuz of what they do in general? or ur just a guy who hates muslims?

Quakaveli

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2002, 03:26:23 PM »

do you hate terrorist because of what they did to America? or cuz of what they do in general? or ur just a guy who hates muslims?

LOL why the fuck do u care if I hate muslims or not? ARE YOU ONE OF EM???

well anyway Ill respond with a civilized answer...I hate terrorists cuz what they do(option 2) and especially cuz I am a Kashmiri Hindu and those fuckin bitch terrorists kicked my people out of Kashmir a decade ago. >:( :(

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2002, 03:26:36 PM »

If you like trashing muslims, theres a big chance you might get banned...

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2002, 03:32:00 PM »
sit down children. listen closely.

not all muslims are terrorists.
not all terrorists are muslim.

quake. u just showed u hold a grudge against a particular group of muslims.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2002, 03:32:39 PM »

LOL why the fuck do u care if I hate muslims or not? ARE YOU ONE OF EM???

well anyway Ill respond with a civilized answer...I hate terrorists cuz what they do(option 2) and especially cuz I am a Kashmiri Hindu and those fuckin bitch terrorists kicked my people out of Kashmir a decade ago. >:( :(

I care because people are dying. Peope are dying cuz of hate, the same type of hate you have.  Let the beef die. dont let it kill you

Quakaveli

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2002, 03:33:55 PM »
sit down children. listen closely.

not all muslims are terrorists.
not all terrorists are muslim.

quake. u just showed u hold a grudge against a particular group of muslims.

Yes I explained it to Blade and he misunderstood my statement, so its coo i guess. yeah seer u right I hate muthafuckin terrorists...if I ever got a chance to torure one I would gladly kill him slowly, lol :-X