Author Topic: What's The Attraction?  (Read 1387 times)

Koncept

Re:What's The Attraction?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2002, 09:59:35 PM »
i'v drank(peer pressure's a bitch) but i haven't gotten drunk, didn't feel anything
not worth it like mentioned above
i've seen alcohol distroy my people (native americans) so i'm aganist it

but marijunana is diffrent...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2002, 10:00:53 PM by Koncept »

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2003, 12:07:45 PM »
i dont drink much....but i do blaze..cuz fuck it whats better to do?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2003, 12:55:22 PM »
lol. man infinite really gotta bone against alcohol.

maybe you should see this.

What you can learn from drunk monkeys...
Just like humans, small primates can acquire a taste for alcohol and behave in a similar fashion when under its influence, scientists have discovered.

A controversial research project that involves giving alcohol to 1000 green vervet monkeys has found that the animals can be divided into four categories: binge drinker, steady drinker, social drinker and teetotaller.

The vast majority are social drinkers who indulge in moderation and only when they are with other monkeys. But they never drink before lunch, and prefer their alcohol to be diluted with fruit juice.

Fifteen per cent drink regularly and heavily and prefer their alcohol neat or diluted with water. The same proportion drink little or no alcohol.

Five per cent are classed as "seriously abusive binge drinkers". They get drunk, start fights and consume as much as they can until passing out. As with humans, most heavy drinkers are young males, but monkeys of both sexes and all ages like a drink.

advertisement

advertisement

The research is being carried out on the Caribbean island of StKitts. Scientists are using the monkeys - which share 96 per cent of their genetic make-up with humans - to help search for clues to the nature of human drinking, and to discover whether some people have a hereditary disposition to alcoholism or "alcohol genes".

The experiments are being led by Frank Ervin, a professor of psychiatry at McGill University in Montreal, and Roberta Palmour, a professor of human genetics there.

Dr Palmour plans to publish her latest findings this year, including the first map of the vervet monkey's genome to identify the genes that play a role in monkey alcoholism.

St Kitts was chosen for the project because of reports that wild vervets had developed a liking for alcohol in the form of fermenting sugar cane in the fields of the rum-producing island. The research animals are kept in cages and given a choice of non-alcoholic, diluted alcoholic and neat drinks.

Professor Ervin said: "The parallels between the vervets' behaviour and human behaviour are striking. A cageful of drunken monkeys is like a cocktail party. You have one who gets aggressive, one who gets sexy, one who thinks everything's funny and one who gets really grumpy.

"The binge drinkers gulp down the alcohol at a very fast rate and pass out on the floor. The next day they do it all over again."

Animal-welfare groups have condemned the experiments. "This project sounds completely bizarre and I think people will be outraged," said a spokesman for the World Society for the Protection of Animals. "It is irresponsible to ply animals with alcohol under the cover of scientific research."

Professor Ervin, who used to run a clinic for alcoholics in Boston, Massachusetts, defended his work. "Alcoholism has a devastating effect on people's lives. The damage it does socially and financially is enormous," he said.

"The aim of our work is to help us understand more about alcoholism so that damage can be reduced."

The "drunken monkeys" will be highlighted in a six-part BBC television series called Weird Nature,

The green vervets were introduced to the island as pets in the 17th century when they were brought over with slaves from Africa.

Human love of alcohol is believed to have begun in prehistoric times when people scoured the forest for sweet fruit. This sometimes reacted with natural yeasts and fermented.

Scientists have identified three regions on the human genome that may be linked to alcoholism. These areas contain up to 300 genes and it may be some years before specific ones are identified.

It is thought easier for scientists to work with monkeys because their environment can be controlled and their genes bred selectively.

- Telegraph

from
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/03/06/1015365716655.html

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2003, 01:41:43 PM »
I know why they drink.  They've been raised to worship alcohol.  Since they were babies they've been subjected to thousands of ads, commercials, etc.  It's in the very fibers of their humanity to think alcohol is cool, it's a part of them like their left nut.

I drink.
I don't worship alcohol.

No, that's impossible.  If you've ever drank a drop of alcohol in your whole entire life then you worship it!!!  Even scope.

Well, then by that logic, that means Brian; you worship alcohol, AND homosexual sex.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2003, 01:46:12 PM »
Overseer, that's a really interesting study, thanks.  It's amazing what we can learn from monkeys.

Anyways, Do yall think it has anything to do with genetics? I just realized that my dad never drank either; he'd drink like once a year, he'd have like 1 beer for the hell of it.  There was never beer in the house when I was growing up.  

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2003, 02:29:16 PM »
I drink. I like nothing more than to have a few pints in the pub with the lads. When I was 16, I used to drink to get drunk, but not much anymore. I drink at parties, when everyone is drinking. I find it relaxes me a bit. I see nothing wrong with it. Yeah, if you drink every night, thrers a problem, but moderate drinking is fine. They say it's more healthy to drink moderately than not at all. I come from a drinking culture, and unfortunately it is cool to drink, coz kids see us do it. Drinking can be fun, though it's not on if no-one else is drinking. At a party, there is nothing better than a keg of beer for everyone to get the place pumping and the bodies rubbin. What can I say, Im a sinner. Sue me.
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

ILL-Logic-AL

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2003, 02:35:30 PM »
Beer tastes like horse piss.  

Drinking horse piss is not cool!!

Don Seer

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2003, 03:01:02 PM »
Overseer, that's a really interesting study, thanks.  It's amazing what we can learn from monkeys.

Anyways, Do yall think it has anything to do with genetics? I just realized that my dad never drank either; he'd drink like once a year, he'd have like 1 beer for the hell of it.  There was never beer in the house when I was growing up.  

what it means is

infinites rant about society tellin you beer is good is bullshit.

because scientifically our closest genetic relatives drink in exactly the same propotions without any other influences including those that prefer cola over beer and proportions of monkeys that raid beer over spirits etc.
outside the study what this also means advertising isnt worth shit either. maybe it just swings the percentage that do drink to certain amounts.

they actually showed footage of the st kitts monkeys on tv earlier tonight so it was easy to find it. they based the study on those monkeys because in the wild the monkeys perform raids on empty tables at beach bars.

they also showed in the program one thing different to human society -> the drunkest monkeys are held in the high regard amongst their peer's and are often the leaders.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2003, 03:05:39 PM by Overseer »

budsmokeronly

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2003, 11:01:12 PM »
I just typed a post in anything goes about why people smoke pot.  I do drink a lot of alcohol, and have partied a lot and still do, but not as much as I used to.  And the same thing applies to getting drunk as getting high.  You ain't gonna know why we do it from an explanation.  I don't give a shit if you been drunk a few times and smoked weed a few times.  Listen to the Outlawz song Novakane, "Why we get high, ain't that the stupidest question ever."  You ain't knowing unless you been there, and if you don't wanna go there then don't, but don't speak on stuff that you don't know about.  There is so much to drinking alcohol and smoking pot that I could easily write a whole book on it.  Some times it takes the pressure off, sometimes it helps you forget about your problems for the moment, sometimes it helps you bond, I could go on and on about reasons.  Shit if you never became a stoner, or a big partier than it just ain't your type of thang and you just don't know what that lifestyle is like.  Not everybody is gonna like everything.  Just like all the people who hate rap and think it is horrible for people and just a bunch of cussing and violent lyrics and disses to women.  Now this is something we can all relate to.  We all know that there is a lot more to rap than that stupid prejudice of it.  I started smoking and drinking most likely to peer pressure and curiosity.  I started when I was a freshman in highschool and I ended up liking it.  Then it just becomes a whole nother thing.  Shit I grew up in a small town and went to a small high school of 700 students.  Thats what we did on weekend nights, we partied and got fucked up.  And most of the time it was just harmless fun.  And damn I have had some fucking great nights and memories from partying.  Sure it has its downfalls, but what doesn't.  Everything has its opportunity costs, everything.  So to answer your question Trauma about why I drink.  You say beer tastes like crap.  Well you really become accustomed to it and it tastes damn good, plus you gotta buy the good stuff.  Budweiser, coors, miller, all that shitty beer does taste like piss because it is cheap shitty beer.  Now why are you asking the question Trauma?  Are you curious?  Only way that you are really going to get this question answered is if you start partying and getting drunk a lot.  A friend of mine said this once about the people who live their whole lives basically sober, "Damn they wake up in the morning and that is the best that they are gonna feel all day."  I know there is some peeps on this board that will feel me exactly on this one.

mauzip

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2003, 11:05:19 PM »

Eevrything about you has something to do with genes. That's proven.

ITW [the irish boy]

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2003, 05:02:56 AM »
I feel ya on that one ACGrundy. I dont smoke, but at nearly every party im at the rest of the boys are bonging away. I have a feeling soon enough I might start but I dunno if i wanna go down that road. I've seen too many losers smoking thinking it makes them cool, and they look like fools. My boys smoke, but they just get mellowed the fuck out. I wouldnt mind trying the shit, but i have asthma, and Ive promised my dead mam I'd never smoke, and I think that applies to all the shit. Maybe Ill just stick to the booze.
Party on
ITW
SO MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY KNOW
BUT DO THEY KNOW TO THINK
THINK ABOUT THINKING
BEFORE THEY KNOW NOTHING
DID THEY KNOW SOMETHING
LETS THINK

min0rity

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2003, 08:29:22 AM »
i drink sometimes, i don't really like it though, i rather get high..

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2003, 09:44:07 PM »
yeah there's nothing really wrong with drinking alcohol , just like there's nothing wrong with takin asprin or other medical drugs, it's just people abuse them

beer isn't a bad alcohol but it's not really a beneficial one towards your health

the best alcohol is the ones you get from firmented fruits and vegatable (ie grapes, potatoes, ect.) barley and rice  alcohols are kinda like the the white bread or glacier lettuces of that group

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

budsmokeronly

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2003, 09:58:59 PM »
beer isn't a bad alcohol but it's not really a beneficial one towards your health

the best alcohol is the ones you get from firmented fruits and vegatable (ie grapes, potatoes, ect.) barley and rice  alcohols are kinda like the the white bread or glacier lettuces of that group

actually according to studies, a beer a day is much better for you than a glass of wine a day.

Suga Foot

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2003, 10:00:13 PM »
I don't think it's genetic, my paerents RARELY drink, they don't even have a liquor cabinet, this has forced me to make my own (Consisting of 2 half full bottles of Hennessy, a half full bottle of Courvossier, some Crown, Fireball, and A bottle of Tequilla   ;D).  I can honestly say I do drink for the taste.  I love relaxing with a small glass of Cognac and some chocolate.  And Fireball tastes exaclty like those cinnamon hearts.  I began drinking at a very young age, I've been through all that binge drinkin shit.  I've had alcohol poisoning before, I even passed out once at a party and fell and almost cracked my damn skull.  I don't drink as heavily as I used to, but I do still get drunk on occasion.  I don't know what the attraction is, but all i can say is this:  I like it, if I like it, I'm gonna do it.  It makes perfect sense to me.