Author Topic: Sam Sneed-Street Scholars [appreciation thread!]  (Read 1952 times)

Funkstradamus

Re: Sam Sneed-Street Scholars [appreciation thread!]
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 09:10:55 PM »
"The Exodus" is sick! I dont see how people have overlooked that track

that is the ONLY non-Death Row track i like....i gotta admit...that shit is heat...

Okka

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:47 AM »
Come on y'all people, stop askin' for links and PM's.

Okka

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »
Damn, one of the worst releases i've heard this year. Most of the new songs are straight garbage, only really good songs are the old ones.

doggfather

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »
Damn, one of the worst releases i've heard this year.

It's just the begginin of 2011, you know that right?!

there weren't so many releases, so sayin "the worst" is t quick, don't you think???
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

JohnnyL

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »
  After some deliberation, I decided to buy this album to support Sam Sneed.  Not very excited about the tracklist though.  While I wouldn't mind hearing the new Sam Sneed material, it was a poor choice to mix it with the original tracks and then label that as "Street Scholars."  There are quite a few people who have heard the original snippets and know that this album isn't really "Street Scholars."  I don't think Wideawake did Sneed any favors either, by encouraging him to release the album this way.  They should have advised him to release the album as close to how it was originally intended as possible, and if he still wasn't convinced they should have done everything in their power to convince him.  The problem, I think, is that Wideawake doesn't understand enough about the music to even know themselves that that was the way to go.  Perhaps they were excited about the prospect of an artist releasing new material on their label.  While ordinarily that probably would be a good thing, I think they went about releasing it in the worst way possible.  I just hope the LBC Crew album doesn't turn into a fiasco as well.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
^isn't it ironic that wideawake wanted to keep all the music original?

JohnnyL

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »

Yeah.  And when you think about it, they haven't released single project in it's original form, unless you want to count "The Chronic: Re-Lit,", but I count that more as a catalog, re-release than a new project.  Instead of releasing "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" they released "Hood Star."  They changed the title and content to Danny Boy's album.  Their Kurupt album was basically just "Against the Grain" with one new track on it.  So far, the Sam Sneed is the only album where they even kept the original name.  It looks like the LBC Crew album is going to come out in it's original form, but if it does that will be the first one.  They're also not using the original artwork for these projects, which is mind bogglingly dumb.  They paid for all that stuff when they bought Death Row.  But it's just sitting somewhere unused.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »

Yeah.  And when you think about it, they haven't released single project in it's original form, unless you want to count "The Chronic: Re-Lit,", but I count that more as a catalog, re-release than a new project.  Instead of releasing "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" they released "Hood Star."  They changed the title and content to Danny Boy's album.  Their Kurupt album was basically just "Against the Grain" with one new track on it.  So far, the Sam Sneed is the only album where they even kept the original name.  It looks like the LBC Crew album is going to come out in it's original form, but if it does that will be the first one.  They're also not using the original artwork for these projects, which is mind bogglingly dumb.  They paid for all that stuff when they bought Death Row.  But it's just sitting somewhere unused.

Not to defend WideAwake (the Sneed release was awful), but the people that took over don't have any idea what project would be in its original form. I remember a couple interviews where they have all this material but a lot of it isn't labeled or mislabeled. I'm sure the latter projects (Crooked I, Eastwood, Petey Pablo) could have had "original form" but keep in mind there was never an official tracklist for "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy", "Same Eyez On Me", etc.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
That PDF floating around with the list of tracks in the vault is a good example. With a lot of them mislabeled or have "untitled" next to them.

JohnnyL

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »

Not to defend WideAwake (the Sneed release was awful), but the people that took over don't have any idea what project would be in its original form. I remember a couple interviews where they have all this material but a lot of it isn't labeled or mislabeled. I'm sure the latter projects (Crooked I, Eastwood, Petey Pablo) could have had "original form" but keep in mind there was never an official tracklist for "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy", "Same Eyez On Me", etc.

I agree with you.  The original Death Row were obviously horrible at record keeping.  That's why Wideawake should hire someone who was employed with Death Row at the time this was all being recorded.  I know John Payne was there very early on, at the original Death Row.  But it's my understanding that he left long before many of the artists that were signed to the label at various points, even recorded anything.  I mean, there are people on this message board that have a clearer understanding of what tracks were meant for what project.  I can't believe they can't find someone who can at least identify the tracks by listening to them, if nothing else.  Also, I know in some cases such as Crooked I's "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" album, there was finished album artwork that could have been used, had they decided to release "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" rather than "Hoodstar."  I can't fault them for hiring people to make artwork for the projects that never had original work done.  But I don't see the point in them wasting the finished album art.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:30 AM »
no kidding, wideawake thought Lady of Rage' raw deal was unreleased

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2011, 08:02:28 AM »
  I mean, there are people on this message board that have a clearer understanding of what tracks were meant for what project.  I can't believe they can't find someone who can at least identify the tracks by listening to them, if nothing else.

They probably don't want to have to travel all the way to Europe just to find someone

Quadruple OG

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »
This was the tracklist I put together for this release, substituted some of the newer tracks for ones that have been around

01. Sam Sneed feat. Ramaj and Meshun Fuller - Cold World (4:21)
02. Sam Sneed feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Blueberries (3:55)
03. Sam Sneed feat. Sharief, Drauma, and Kurupt - Guilty As Sin (3:29)
04. Sam Sneed feat. Dr. Dre - U Better Recognize (3:53)
05. Sam Sneed feat. Jeff Chery and LJ - Marriage (3:25)
06. Sam Sneed feat. J-Flexx and Drauma - In Da Zone (4:34)
07. Sam Sneed feat. Jasz and LJ - The Survivor (4:48)
08. Sam Sneed feat. Feab, Atilio Jarquin, Ramaj, and Shadow - New World Order (4:05)
09. Sam Sneed feat. LJ and Jasz - The Exodus (4:30)
10. Sam Sneed feat. Meshun Fuller - What I'm Looking For (4:30)
11. Sam Sneed feat. J-Flexx - Lady Heroin (4:02)
12. Sam Sneed feat. Jasz And Cornelius "Slick" Barnes - Goin' Hollywood (4:10)
13. Sam Sneed - Drug Related (4:05)
14. Sam Sneed feat. Meshun Fuller - What I'm Looking For (OG) (4:08)

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »

Enormous had a tracklisting though...I can confirm this.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:07 PM »

Enormous had a tracklisting though...I can confirm this.

you know what it was or just that a tracklist was finalized?