Author Topic: The official The Dark Knight Rises thread...  (Read 7974 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: TDKR: Anne Hathaway is Catwoman + Tom Hardy is Bane (confirmed)!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »

From a narrative point of view, I don't really know where they're going to go with it.  I have faith that they'll come up with something, but the rumors about the movie featuring Dr. Hugo Strange actually made a little more sense to me.  Because the "Prey" storyline dealt with Hugo Strange assisting the Gotham Police Department track down a fugitive Batman (which was pretty much the situation that Batman was left in at the end of "The Dark Knight.")  There are already rumors that, despite using Bane as the villain rather than Hugo Strange, they still may be using elements of the "Prey" storyline.  Of course you have to take any rumors about this movie with a grain of salt though.  This casting announcement pretty well illustrates how wrong most of the early rumors about this movie have been.

I still expect it to be better than any non-Batman superhero film this decade, I'm just not excited about it like I was the Dark Knight because of how the Dark Knight ended, as opposed to how Begins ended, (which I still wasn't blown away by but at least excited to see the Joker and Nolan's take on it so that Burton's take could be wiped away from mainstream culture). There's nothing about the Catwoman or Bane characters that make me say "oh man I can't wait to see Nolan's take on them" and I can't fathom there being a groundbreaking way to tackle the Bat-fugitive storyline.

Nolan said he treated each film as it's own story and didn't plan ahead for a trilogy. I think if he did he would have saved the return of Ducard for this film. He'd be the ideal character in this franchise to be the one that works with Gotham to track and capture Batman.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 09:32:47 AM »
What people forget is that Nolan borrows heavy from the comic book, and either Bane or the Black Mask is the only direction he can take it from this point. Batman is on the run, the mob is in pieces dealing with the Joker, so either it's Black Mask that picks up those pieces and becomes the overlord of the city, or what's left of the mob hires Bane, who then "Breaks the Bat." After the Joker and Two-Face, there is nothing left. Riddler is too over done, Mr. Freeze should be done for at least another movie, you can't have the Red Hood, Penguin is just outdated, Poison Ivy and Clayface makes no sense in Nolan's world, same with Killer Croc and Man Bat. So Bane it is, the man who broke the bat. Also, I would love for Ducard to comeback, but Nolan's world does not allow for that, though I know my wife, who knows nothing about Batman other than the movies really wants Two Face back. I can see Two Face coming back, he can still come back later and be the perfect villain.

As for Catwoman, I know many wanted to see Talia come in and avenge her father. But the reality is that Catwoman makes sense to encounter Batman first. In every story of Batman, Catwoman is always one of the first villains he encounters. So bring on the Catwoman. It fits his personal story. Rachel is dead, his lonely and growing more out of touch. The Catwoman would be the one to blur his whole proscriptive, as the first two movies Bruce Wayne has done a good job of separating Batman from himself. Now though, what happens when Batman himself encounters someone that gets his mojo working. Can Batman's love interest, who stands against everything Bruce is against and Rachel is against, help blur the lines between Batman and Bruce Wayne. This personal story will be what makes the movie go, and if Nolan hits it right, Catwoman will be the best thing that's happened. All that's left if adopting a 8 year old Dick Grayson (who should not be Robin in this, or the next film as far as I'm concern) to help Bruce try to fill in that family his trying to build. You have his new love in Catwoman, that father figure in Alfred, now he needs that son in Dick.

I trust in Nolan, I feel that he is the only one that can take the over did Catwoman story and make it fresh and bring to the mainstream what is right with this over 70 year old love/hate story. Adding Bane to me is the icing on the cake, because he has always been one of my favorites and to see what Schumacher did to him was a travesty.

IN NOLAN WE TRUST.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:38:25 AM by M Dogg »

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Great post M Dogg. +1. In Nolan we trust, thats it. I remember I was sceptical when I first heard Heath is gonna play Joker, I knew that he is a great actor  but I could not imagine him as Joker, tho he just blew me off with his preformance, lets see what will happen with Anne Heathaway as Catwoman. I have no doubt that Tom Hardy will nail his part, dude is amazing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

JohnnyL

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »

From a narrative point of view, I don't really know where they're going to go with it.  I have faith that they'll come up with something, but the rumors about the movie featuring Dr. Hugo Strange actually made a little more sense to me.  Because the "Prey" storyline dealt with Hugo Strange assisting the Gotham Police Department track down a fugitive Batman (which was pretty much the situation that Batman was left in at the end of "The Dark Knight.")  There are already rumors that, despite using Bane as the villain rather than Hugo Strange, they still may be using elements of the "Prey" storyline.  Of course you have to take any rumors about this movie with a grain of salt though.  This casting announcement pretty well illustrates how wrong most of the early rumors about this movie have been.

I still expect it to be better than any non-Batman superhero film this decade, I'm just not excited about it like I was the Dark Knight because of how the Dark Knight ended, as opposed to how Begins ended, (which I still wasn't blown away by but at least excited to see the Joker and Nolan's take on it so that Burton's take could be wiped away from mainstream culture). There's nothing about the Catwoman or Bane characters that make me say "oh man I can't wait to see Nolan's take on them" and I can't fathom there being a groundbreaking way to tackle the Bat-fugitive storyline.

Nolan said he treated each film as it's own story and didn't plan ahead for a trilogy. I think if he did he would have saved the return of Ducard for this film. He'd be the ideal character in this franchise to be the one that works with Gotham to track and capture Batman.

While I'm definitely not as excited about the announcement of Catwoman and Bane in this movie as I was about the Joker in "The Dark Knight," I still find Bane and Catwoman to be interesting choices.  They are both characters that I didn't really expect Nolan to choose for the third movie, but I am interested to see Nolan's take on them.  Especially since the last time that Catwoman and Bane appeared in a movie, the result was just awful.  It was as though whoever chose to use those characters had no regard for the source material.  I'm sure Nolan will have to change some things, but he'll be much more faithful to the source material than that.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »
Deep down, I've always been thinking it would be Bane.  What other villain is bad enough to convince Gotham to seek out Batman and embrace him after he and Commissioner Gordon pinned the crimes on him to cover up Harvey Dent?

Anyway, expect some CGI on Bane... kind of like what they did to that one guy from that League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie where he went from this:

to this:

Before this was announced but when I was still hoping Bane would be the main villain, I was hoping that Nathan Jones (from Ong Bak and Fearless) would play Bane since he's got the size:

DEKO

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
Christian Bale Talks Dark Knight Rises
It's his farewell to the Bat...probably
Source: Exclusive

This may not come as a huge surprise but it does come straight from the horse's mouth: Christian Bale, talking to Empire last month, said that The Dark Knight Rises will be his last Batman movie...probably.

"All I know is the likelihood that this will be the last one," says the star. "Well, I wouldn't say definitely. If Chris goes, 'Hey, I've got another story I think could be interesting,' then yeah, great, I'd go do that. I always assumed it would be three, but I could be wrong. I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I don't feel any pressure."

Nolan's on record as saying that the next film will be the last chapter in his Batman franchise, so we're going to assume that's it, but hey! It's nice that Bale isn't locking anything out. It's clear throughout our interview that he and Christopher Nolan continue to enjoy a great relationship, and also that Bale's looking forward to the new members of the gang.

"[Tom Hardy] seems like he's balls-out, doesn't he? Like he really goes for it.He looked like a guy that was happy to go to extremes, to really push it. Looks like he could go the distance..."

For the full interview, which includes a whole lot on The Fighter - including an explanation why, despite featuring famed hotheads Bale and director David O.Russell, everything was calm on set, and which role it is that Bale really wants to play (it's not obvious!) - pick up the latest issue of Empire, which is on sale now. You know you want it.

JohnnyL

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »
Christian Bale Talks Dark Knight Rises
It's his farewell to the Bat...probably
Source: Exclusive

This may not come as a huge surprise but it does come straight from the horse's mouth: Christian Bale, talking to Empire last month, said that The Dark Knight Rises will be his last Batman movie...probably.

"All I know is the likelihood that this will be the last one," says the star. "Well, I wouldn't say definitely. If Chris goes, 'Hey, I've got another story I think could be interesting,' then yeah, great, I'd go do that. I always assumed it would be three, but I could be wrong. I don't know if there's something wrong with me, but I don't feel any pressure."

Nolan's on record as saying that the next film will be the last chapter in his Batman franchise, so we're going to assume that's it, but hey! It's nice that Bale isn't locking anything out. It's clear throughout our interview that he and Christopher Nolan continue to enjoy a great relationship, and also that Bale's looking forward to the new members of the gang.

"[Tom Hardy] seems like he's balls-out, doesn't he? Like he really goes for it.He looked like a guy that was happy to go to extremes, to really push it. Looks like he could go the distance..."

For the full interview, which includes a whole lot on The Fighter - including an explanation why, despite featuring famed hotheads Bale and director David O.Russell, everything was calm on set, and which role it is that Bale really wants to play (it's not obvious!) - pick up the latest issue of Empire, which is on sale now. You know you want it.

Yeah.  Bale's been saying this for a while.  It seems like he's really loyal to Nolan.  But my question is, what if Nolan doesn't return but another really good director does the next one.  For instance, what if Daren Aronofsky were to do the next one, or David Fincher?  Wouldn't he want to at least keep the option on the table.  I could see passing on a fourth if they replaced Christopher Nolan with a hack.  I would hope though, that he will at least wait and see what happens.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
But my question is, what if Nolan doesn't return but another really good director does the next one.  For instance, what if Daren Aronofsky were to do the next one, or David Fincher?  Wouldn't he want to at least keep the option on the table.  I could see passing on a fourth if they replaced Christopher Nolan with a hack.  I would hope though, that he will at least wait and see what happens.

I think this will depend on how well this new Spiderman film does next year. Spiderman came out in 02 and made a killing, then Spidey 2 comes out and does more. With Spidey 3 the sales don't do as well (but still good) and Raimi leaves, so for the ten year mark of the first film Marvel sets out a complete revamp; new director and lead actor. And of course new tone for the film.

If Arnofsky or Fincher want in on Batman they won't want to pick up where Nolan left off and will want to bring their own vision to the franchise. Now if it was me, I'd want my own Bruce Wayne and not Nolan's guy. Bale's a great actor but Bruce and Batman can be played well by a lot of actors (famous or unknown) and I'm sure Darren and whoever else would want one for their own. So if the new Spidey does well then DC has a reason to say we don't need you Christian and won't bother trying to get him back, but if the focus groups say "why is this guy Spiderman?" and the movie does poorly then they'll beg him to come back. And by the time the next Batman after this one is set to be released itll be at least 2015, which is 10 years from Begins.

JohnnyL

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 08:38:26 PM »
But my question is, what if Nolan doesn't return but another really good director does the next one.  For instance, what if Daren Aronofsky were to do the next one, or David Fincher?  Wouldn't he want to at least keep the option on the table.  I could see passing on a fourth if they replaced Christopher Nolan with a hack.  I would hope though, that he will at least wait and see what happens.

I think this will depend on how well this new Spiderman film does next year. Spiderman came out in 02 and made a killing, then Spidey 2 comes out and does more. With Spidey 3 the sales don't do as well (but still good) and Raimi leaves, so for the ten year mark of the first film Marvel sets out a complete revamp; new director and lead actor. And of course new tone for the film.

If Arnofsky or Fincher want in on Batman they won't want to pick up where Nolan left off and will want to bring their own vision to the franchise. Now if it was me, I'd want my own Bruce Wayne and not Nolan's guy. Bale's a great actor but Bruce and Batman can be played well by a lot of actors (famous or unknown) and I'm sure Darren and whoever else would want one for their own. So if the new Spidey does well then DC has a reason to say we don't need you Christian and won't bother trying to get him back, but if the focus groups say "why is this guy Spiderman?" and the movie does poorly then they'll beg him to come back. And by the time the next Batman after this one is set to be released itll be at least 2015, which is 10 years from Begins.

You're probably right, but man, I hate that they're constantly rebooting everything, now.  I'm even beginning to hate the word "reboot." lol  That's not to say I wouldn't give a different director's take on the material, a chance if it looked interesting.  But personally, I would rather a different director do their own storyline, but not start the franchise over.  I understand that studios are going to look at these things largely from a financial standpoint.  So from that perspective, maybe it makes sense to them to start things over just to keep the property fresh for the audience.  Personally though, I find it frustrating that you get so far with a continuous storyline in a movie franchise, and then you have to start all the way over.  That's one thing that irks me about this newest Spider-man movie.  With the first series of Batman movies, it made sense to reboot the franchise because enough damage had been done to the property that they really couldn't continue on from "Batman and Robin" and hope to make money.  Also, by then a considerable amount of time had passed (eight years, I believe) where Warner Bros. had left Batman alone.  This new "Spider-man" though seems to be part of an increasing trend in Hollywood to use "rebooting" as a crutch for any bump in the road the a film series encounters, rather than just being creative and fixing the problems.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:04 AM »

I think this will depend on how well this new Spiderman film does next year. Spiderman came out in 02 and made a killing, then Spidey 2 comes out and does more. With Spidey 3 the sales don't do as well (but still good)

Spiderman 3 sold more than the previous two

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
When Nolan and Bale leave, I would NOT reboot the franchise, I'd build off it. They did a great job of building a great story of young Bruce Wayne. I'd hire someone to play an older Bruce Wayne, someone who needs a Robin to help him, and someone who in the comics is looking to build a sense of family, even through his own twisted Batman world. Start with Robin in part 4, you can bring back Two-Face, and have Dick Grayson help Batman as an older Batman is not cutting it. Part 5 can start with the Dick Grayson split and turn to Nightwight, move to a different city and forge his own identity. Since you have a new Batman, why not a new Joker and bring in Jason Todd's Robin to be killed by the Joker. This would solidify Joker as Batman's main villain and continue their story. Maybe even get Batgirl in there as Barbara Gordon and have her suffer the fate of getting paralyzed by Joker as well. Part 6 can deal with Tim Drake becoming Robin, and how he helps Batman capture the Joker.

You don't have to do a reboot, just have Batman move eras. If they get the right director and actor for Batman, they should be able to do another trilogy of older Batman. Hell, maybe a 3 trilogy with Bruce Wayne's death and Dick Grayson coming back to claim the cowl. I forgot you need to have Bruce Wayne's love story with Talia al Ghul. So much to do with Batman for another trilogy, Warner Brothers be thinking ahead.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 05:50:59 AM »
Going a bit offtopic here, I wanted to say that the recent decisions that were made from the powers that be to reboot certain stories (Spider-Man and most notably, Hulk (for the second time  >:( ) have been not so well thought out imo.I can see why they wanted to to a new Spider-Man story, but with Hulk?Everything was falling into place with the whole Avengers storyline but that's been discussed here before, so I'll leave it at that

Also, with Aronofsky being mentioned, it's nice to see that he's directing the new Wolverine movie (if imdb is to be trusted).From what I could gather the Origins story would be treated like it didn't exist (not sure though) and Hugh Jackman is still on board, which could mean very intriguing results
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

JohnnyL

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »
Going a bit offtopic here, I wanted to say that the recent decisions that were made from the powers that be to reboot certain stories (Spider-Man and most notably, Hulk (for the second time  >:( ) have been not so well thought out imo.I can see why they wanted to to a new Spider-Man story, but with Hulk?Everything was falling into place with the whole Avengers storyline but that's been discussed here before, so I'll leave it at that

Also, with Aronofsky being mentioned, it's nice to see that he's directing the new Wolverine movie (if imdb is to be trusted).From what I could gather the Origins story would be treated like it didn't exist (not sure though) and Hugh Jackman is still on board, which could mean very intriguing results

Yeah.  Aronofsky is doing the next Wolverine movie, this time just titled "The Wolverine."  He's said in recent interviews that it will be based off of Frank Miller's stories of Wolverine in Japan.  It will still have Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but will otherwise not be associated with "X-men Origins: Wolverine."  So with that movie it would seem that Aronofsky is taking the approach that I would prefer directors take (at least most of the time). He's taking the story in a new (and hopefully better) direction, but even though he's not necessarily referencing the first movie, he's not totally starting over.
  Also, prior to "Batman Begins" being released, Aronofsky and Frank Miller had collaborated on a movie adaptation of Miller's "Batman: Year One."  I'm not sure how far along the project got before it was scrapped in favor of "Batman Begins," but there's recently been talk that a comic adaptation of their version of "Batman: Year One" may still be released.  Not sure though what that would mean as far as the likelihood of the movie ever being made.  Personally I would prefer a fourth film in the current series, but if they absolutely had to reboot Batman, Miller and Aronofsky would probably have a pretty interesting take on the material.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »

I think this will depend on how well this new Spiderman film does next year. Spiderman came out in 02 and made a killing, then Spidey 2 comes out and does more. With Spidey 3 the sales don't do as well (but still good)

Spiderman 3 sold more than the previous two

Not domestically , where it counts the most. Worldwide markets get caught up more in taxes and tariffs and the figure is used mainly for marketing purposes "so and so" world wide sales sound great, but as far as actual cash in hand after a film is released you want it from te US market if you're a hollywood producer.

You're probably right, but man, I hate that they're constantly rebooting everything, now.  I'm even beginning to hate the word "reboot." lol  That's not to say I wouldn't give a different director's take on the material, a chance if it looked interesting.  But personally, I would rather a different director do their own storyline, but not start the franchise over.  I understand that studios are going to look at these things largely from a financial standpoint.  So from that perspective, maybe it makes sense to them to start things over just to keep the property fresh for the audience.  Personally though, I find it frustrating that you get so far with a continuous storyline in a movie franchise, and then you have to start all the way over.  That's one thing that irks me about this newest Spider-man movie.  With the first series of Batman movies, it made sense to reboot the franchise because enough damage had been done to the property that they really couldn't continue on from "Batman and Robin" and hope to make money.  Also, by then a considerable amount of time had passed (eight years, I believe) where Warner Bros. had left Batman alone.  This new "Spider-man" though seems to be part of an increasing trend in Hollywood to use "rebooting" as a crutch for any bump in the road the a film series encounters, rather than just being creative and fixing the problems.

Comics do it all the time though. They change a creative team and in essence change the whole lay out of the character. Sometimes it's sudden, and sometimes it's gradual but it's still very different by the end of it. You think you can read Batman issues 1 to 700 in order and have any sense of the same universe? They're is probably 10 to 15 completely different Gothams and Bruce Waynes if you really want to read through it all.

When Nolan and Bale leave, I would NOT reboot the franchise, I'd build off it. They did a great job of building a great story of young Bruce Wayne. I'd hire someone to play an older Bruce Wayne, someone who needs a Robin to help him, and someone who in the comics is looking to build a sense of family, even through his own twisted Batman world. Start with Robin in part 4, you can bring back Two-Face, and have Dick Grayson help Batman as an older Batman is not cutting it. Part 5 can start with the Dick Grayson split and turn to Nightwight, move to a different city and forge his own identity. Since you have a new Batman, why not a new Joker and bring in Jason Todd's Robin to be killed by the Joker. This would solidify Joker as Batman's main villain and continue their story. Maybe even get Batgirl in there as Barbara Gordon and have her suffer the fate of getting paralyzed by Joker as well. Part 6 can deal with Tim Drake becoming Robin, and how he helps Batman capture the Joker.

You don't have to do a reboot, just have Batman move eras. If they get the right director and actor for Batman, they should be able to do another trilogy of older Batman. Hell, maybe a 3 trilogy with Bruce Wayne's death and Dick Grayson coming back to claim the cowl. I forgot you need to have Bruce Wayne's love story with Talia al Ghul. So much to do with Batman for another trilogy, Warner Brothers be thinking ahead.

They don't have to do another origin story to do a reboot, but they also don't have to keep the character in the same exact continuity. Let's be serious; even if Nolan and Bale stayed on for 5 more films there would be huge gaps in the continuity eventually. Hugh Jackman played different Wolverines already, even though it's supposedly the same universe and same character.

All I'm saying is if I was a director with a vision for Batman a great story in mind, I could still use a Batman universe based closely on Nolan's but still have my own actor play Bruce in his way and someone else play Joker in his way. I wouldn't get a guy to mimic Heath. The mainstream audience that doesn't get it will still understand the basics of the Batman and the Joker and they already did before Nolan's films (many of fans did anyway).

Would I want another Batman origin story? Maybe, maybe not. I definitely would with Spider-man because I hated it so much, but with Bats they could do plenty of things with a new director that would be fine with me if done right.

JohnnyL

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »

**Oops. This was originally a double post.  Anyway, here's a link to another article about the recent casting announcement and some of the previous casting rumors which turned out to be false...

http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/435-anne-hathaway-is-your-new-catwoman

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:06:48 PM by JohnnyL »