Author Topic: Music intervention: Snoop Dogg - please be gangsta again  (Read 1069 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Music intervention: Snoop Dogg - please be gangsta again
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:34:35 PM »
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:38:18 PM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Music intervention: Snoop Dogg - please be gangsta again
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
entertaining video .......big dog.........but I dont agree with what the dude was saying....cause snoop is an entertainer ....so he has to show up to whatever gig is paying...if that means dancing with gummi bears ....then that is what you get.....
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
entertaining video .......big dog.........but I dont agree with what the dude was saying....cause snoop is an entertainer ....so he has to show up to whatever gig is paying...if that means dancing with gummi bears ....then that is what you get.....

He's not saying Snoop isn't an entertainer, he is saying he is a shitty one.  If you were around in 92 when Snoop first came on the scene, youre lying if you don't think all this shit he is doin now is corny and wack as hell.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Trip Dee

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
i don't mind him playin his lil roles wherever, what bothers me is, it seems to have a reflection on his music, and that's bad. and as far for the guest appereances; i don't even think it's about the selection, it's about how he's going in, and that's just generic. but yeah, dancin with gummybears is not a good look lol...

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:33 AM »

He's not saying Snoop isn't an entertainer, he is saying he is a shitty one.  If you were around in 92 when Snoop first came on the scene, youre lying if you don't think all this shit he is doin now is corny and wack as hell.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:20:32 AM »

""respect my gangsta, cuzz..

long beach 21st crip.
thats on the set""

Portugoal

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »

""respect my gangsta, cuzz..

long beach 21st crip.
thats on the set""

wtf, what video is that from? :D

Mr.(Ko)Kane

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 08:20:34 AM »
It's from Kate Perr's California Gurls video. He really reps the colors there!  ;)

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:34:34 AM »
the only reason snoop was the snoop of '92 was cause that was what was paying.....If there was no Dre and snoop met some spice girls who wanted him to dance around with some Gummy bears.....do you think he would have turned that down cause it wasn't too cool for the ogs in the hood?    he would have taken whatever gig that was paying the most at the time.
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »

in fact it isn't!

he has developed from a plain n ordinary gangsta rapper to a media entertainer. he is not just "one of these rappers" anymore, he became an icon in west coast rap and a face for black entertainment world wide. He did so many things over the last years and even though his music, but especially flow and voice took a little decrease withtin the last years (not talking about his latest song which I like for the most part) he always repped where he was from and tried to help other artists. And you can't blame him for that. It's even okay that he is doing songs with Katy Perry etc.. Seriously: wouldn't you?? this track gained him a grammy nomination and he was all over the radio again, plus it's not too bad for a summer pop track. and katy looks hella hot in the video, don't argue.

I don't say you have to like everything he does. I don't like every particular thing either, but I respect what he's doing, that he found a way to market himself as some kind of brand. He is doing what the fuck he wants to and you can see him having fun. I mean all this TV show stuff, commercials, events, merchandize and what not... this is above of what 99 out of 100 rappers can show. I think people should stop hating on shit like that and let him do what he wants to, I think there is a lot of entertainment in what he is doing. I for my part think, he is not taking himself too seriously in the Katy Perry vid for example, or in the new Gorillaz video or whatever. He is not tryng to act like he is so tough and that's the cool part, that would look ridicolous to me after all these years. But you can see him enjoying what he's doing and trying to make the best out of it, trying to get a vibe. And I like that. People always say some artist should expand a lil more, try new shit not always the same. But when they actually do, they get hated on. I think that's lame and jealous. I think tracks like "My Medicine" where he actually collaborates with some real musicians and tries to do something new makes him more of a good artists than trying to claim rollin 20 crips for the 100th time and to say he's a gang banger and still lives in the hood all over a new album. I couldn't take that seriously. It's ok for single tracks like "Protocol" but I don't need a "I try to be gangsta" album. I always liked his diversity on the albums.

I dunno... most probably I'll get hate for this even though this is just my thoughts and the way I see it and I don't try to attack anyone with that. Just trying to make y'all see it from a different perspective.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
that's a bit far fetched but you're not too far from the reality... Snoop has always been into the oldies, before he was Snoop Dogg he was called Snoop Rock / Silky Slim and was very much influenced by the 70's... Suge moulded him according to the trend of the day which was gangsta rap, he dressed him, told him to grow braids... if you look at pre-death row snoop dogg pics, you'll see that he was either bald or had pimp style perms, with a hat and stuff... i'm not saying Snoop's culture is not gangsta because it obviously was but the creative direction he was taking was the one he later took with projects such as the doggystyle all stars, not the one he eventually got known for

now the video is hilarious but i don't agree with dude. why acting hard if you're not hard ? even if you're hard, acting hard all the time will make you look like a retard more than anything... Snoop got to the point where he's paid his dues... everybody knows he's a friendly cat who can get down and do stuff with everyone, from The Comrads to some russian rapper... he still gets respect from most in the industry. I think he's the only one who can pull it off and get away with it. I mean Snoop's prime is well passed but he's still somehow relevant... instead of trying to get back to his doggystyle days he's just doing him... which is acting a fool and doing the hell he wants... and get paid. he was in the forbes 2010 top ten with 10 mil and MIW only sold like 300,000. don't get me wrong i dont really care for his music but at least it's fresh, spontaneous, and sometimes innovative, even if inconsistent... i think he's being real and even if doesn't sound as good as in the 90's, i consider it realer than some rappers that try to repeat the same formula they used in the 90's over and over again and who in the end not only sound outdated but also fake in a way. that's why I don't fuck with Kush (snoop included), no matter how good it is from a musical standpoint, but it's forced and lacks spontaneity... that's why i've never been a big fan of Dre (the rapper and the character, not the producer)... dude's never been spontaneous, always played the role of the hard guy in his lyrics when according to everybody he was a soft-spoken, mild-mannered type of guy... everything in his raps and body-language lacked sincerity (it makes sense since he isnt writing his lyrics)... just check 2pac's interview with bill bellamy and dre, now compare dre to 2pac...

edit : Si-Chiggedy, C/S 100% your post, well said!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:13:44 AM by bouli77 »

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
I liked what Snoop said in a Dubcnn interview in like 2006 (?), that he makes music, that he like, it may not hit your taste, but he doesnt do it strictly for you..
i totally agree with that, if he really loves what hes doin, loves music, he should do what he feel.. but hearin his latest music, damn.. he went too far

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »
don't get me wrong i dont really care for his music but at least it's fresh, spontaneous, and sometimes innovative
oh come on, you've got to be joking.

Will_B

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
I liked what Snoop said in a Dubcnn interview in like 2006 (?), that he makes music, that he like, it may not hit your taste, but he doesnt do it strictly for you..
i totally agree with that, if he really loves what hes doin, loves music, he should do what he feel..

Preach. And I been listening a hella lot of pop lately with my Girl at home and Snoops new stuff is as good or better than the majority of artists stuff out there.

Snoop put out better Albums than Usher, Lady Gaga, Timbaland and even the Black Eyed Peas album 'The E.N.D.' had some banging singles but the album was weak as dishwater.

Hate or love it Snoops an all round performer/entertainer...if you don't want to follow his commercial stuff stick to his stuff that's in-house produced or collabos with other Rappers. And that's nuthin new, been that way since 2000 or before.