Author Topic: Music intervention: Snoop Dogg - please be gangsta again  (Read 1070 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Music intervention: Snoop Dogg - please be gangsta again
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:01:02 AM »
all of his albums have been commercial, that's not the problem.

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
all of his albums have been commercial, that's not the problem.

Ok. I meant from when he started appearing on R&B/Pop albums.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
One thing cought my attention.. Snoop announced new album in like December (not sure), and the date is set to March.. that gives you like 3-4 months (including promotion etc.).. Snoop seems really busy, hes all arround on TV, into many organizations and all that.. so lot of his time goes for that, i doubt that hes in studio every day, but even if so, he cant spend much time in there daily makin music..
all that together doesnt give him much time for making the album..

I may be wrong, but Snoop seems to me like he feels too self confident, and not seek that much anymore.. that may be the reason of his music bein so neuter

bouli77

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
don't get me wrong i dont really care for his music but at least it's fresh, spontaneous, and sometimes innovative
oh come on, you've got to be joking.

lol, that's what I think, a lot of stuffs are wack/weak, but a lot of stuffs is actually fresh too, like Snoop tries a lot of different things, he uses different producers that bring different things to the table. for example, him fucking with Terrace, Teddy Riley, Quik, Soopafly. They're all great producers with different styles, his collaborations with all of them produced music that was sometimes not very good, or weird (the songs with teddy riley) but at least it was new and fresh. His stuff with the Neptunes... I wasn't a fan of that period but I must admit that Snoop added his own twist to something, he didn't follow the hype or anything. when from da chuuuch to tha palace came out, a lot of people thought it was wack, i thought this was actually dope because snoop had the leverage to not stick to any formula and came up with something cool. it wasn't on the same level as the eastsidaz albums which are great albums from the classic snoop but still it was original.

when i say spontaneous, that's one thing you can't take away from snoop. even though he's doing too much sometimes. sometimes he comes wack on the beat too, with hackneyed lyrics but i think over the years he's managed to stay spontaneous.

I'm not even a fan of snoop, he was the one who introduced me to gangsta rap but i don't think he's in my top 5. but dude is a multi-faceted character (to me boss's life video with the many snoops exemplifies this) and i think he's one of the realest to do it. even-though he's one egotistic, sometimes playa-hating dude he gets respect from everybody, and that's saying a lot.

I may be wrong, but Snoop seems to me like he feels too self confident, and not seek that much anymore.. that may be the reason of his music bein so neuter

definitely, to me Snoop's cqreer took a major turn in 2002, between Doggystyle All Stars and Paid Da Cost To be Tha Boss. On Doggystyle All Stars, Snoop was doing what he had started with the eastsidaz albums. He was doing family albums with his own musical influences and affiliated producers. He was giving an identity to his label. It sold rather well but it didn't cross over (i mean except doggystyle allstars, which flopped, but the first ES album went platinum, the second went gold, last meal went platinum). that's when i was really feeling dogghouse. then the eastsidaz disbanded (not officially until 2003 though). and Paid Da Cost Came Out. The retail version was quite different from the many advance that had leaked (i preferred the advances, that had that doggystyle flavour) on the internet and that's when Snoop started to cross over. He did songs with Pharell, then with Justin Timberlake. His started Doggyfizzle televizzle, then other television shows. Then Snoop became more of a pop-star than an actual rapper, in a way you can say that Snoop almost retired from the regular rap-game to become a sort of socialite that you would see everywhere. Kinda like Jay-Z between 2001 and 2002. Jay-Z went "pop" after the first blueprint album. Before he was strictly rap game, then he started expanding into all kind of ventures to eventually become what he is today. Jay-Z in 2001 did a song with the dogg pound (albeit a remix). He would never do that in 2010, he's too busy jumping on the hottest rapper's latest song's remix.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Snoop's 40 years old. The only gangsta shit he should be talking about is with his kids and telling them what not to do.

Will_B

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 10:55:44 AM »
don't get me wrong i dont really care for his music but at least it's fresh, spontaneous, and sometimes innovative
oh come on, you've got to be joking.

lol, that's what I think, a lot of stuffs are wack/weak, but a lot of stuffs is actually fresh too, like Snoop tries a lot of different things, he uses different producers that bring different things to the table. for example, him fucking with Terrace, Teddy Riley, Quik, Soopafly. They're all great producers with different styles, his collaborations with all of them produced music that was sometimes not very good, or weird (the songs with teddy riley) but at least it was new and fresh. His stuff with the Neptunes... I wasn't a fan of that period but I must admit that Snoop added his own twist to something, he didn't follow the hype or anything. when from da chuuuch to tha palace came out, a lot of people thought it was wack, i thought this was actually dope because snoop had the leverage to not stick to any formula and came up with something cool. it wasn't on the same level as the eastsidaz albums which are great albums from the classic snoop but still it was original.

when i say spontaneous, that's one thing you can't take away from snoop. even though he's doing too much sometimes. sometimes he comes wack on the beat too, with hackneyed lyrics but i think over the years he's managed to stay spontaneous.

I'm not even a fan of snoop, he was the one who introduced me to gangsta rap but i don't think he's in my top 5. but dude is a multi-faceted character (to me boss's life video with the many snoops exemplifies this) and i think he's one of the realest to do it. even-though he's one egotistic, sometimes playa-hating dude he gets respect from everybody, and that's saying a lot.

definitely, to me Snoop's cqreer took a major turn in 2002, between Doggystyle All Stars and Paid Da Cost To be Tha Boss. On Doggystyle All Stars, Snoop was doing what he had started with the eastsidaz albums. He was doing family albums with his own musical influences and affiliated producers. He was giving an identity to his label. It sold rather well but it didn't cross over (i mean except doggystyle allstars, which flopped, but the first ES album went platinum, the second went gold, last meal went platinum). that's when i was really feeling dogghouse. then the eastsidaz disbanded (not officially until 2003 though). and Paid Da Cost Came Out. The retail version was quite different from the many advance that had leaked (i preferred the advances, that had that doggystyle flavour) on the internet and that's when Snoop started to cross over. He did songs with Pharell, then with Justin Timberlake. His started Doggyfizzle televizzle, then other television shows. Then Snoop became more of a pop-star than an actual rapper, in a way you can say that Snoop almost retired from the regular rap-game to become a sort of socialite that you would see everywhere. Kinda like Jay-Z between 2001 and 2002. Jay-Z went "pop" after the first blueprint album. Before he was strictly rap game, then he started expanding into all kind of ventures to eventually become what he is today. Jay-Z in 2001 did a song with the dogg pound (albeit a remix). He would never do that in 2010, he's too busy jumping on the hottest rapper's latest song's remix.

Yeah that Doggy Style All Stars DVD shows a totally different Snoop to the one we see now. Amazing time when they were at their peek (musically).

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
One thing cought my attention.. Snoop announced new album in like December (not sure), and the date is set to March.. that gives you like 3-4 months (including promotion etc.).. Snoop seems really busy, hes all arround on TV, into many organizations and all that.. so lot of his time goes for that, i doubt that hes in studio every day, but even if so, he cant spend much time in there daily makin music..
all that together doesnt give him much time for making the album..

I think Snoop announced this record around early October and he was already in the making process. Before he was planning on doing a sequel to Doggystyle but then he scrapped it and came with that Doggumentary Music concept, which was going online now and then, showing people the process of making the album, let them have that studio feeling. And he already dropped at least 4 tracks from the album, so I think March is a realistic date.

On a another note, of course Snoop is hella self confident, but not much more remarkable than any other star in the music genre. Look at some rock stars how they act, Snoop is nothing compared to that. I think he was just too lazy the last 3-4 years to put enough effort in his own rhymes and his own flow. He used to have good production. But his voice sounded tired and his flow sounded a lil bit off track sometimes or too much bulit-up to say it with other words. But this new track for example - "Gangbang Rookie" - thats dat good shit from back in the day. Reminds me a lot on his flow and voice from Paid Tha Cost...

now the video is hilarious but i don't agree with dude. why acting hard if you're not hard ? even if you're hard, acting hard all the time will make you look like a retard more than anything... Snoop got to the point where he's paid his dues... everybody knows he's a friendly cat who can get down and do stuff with everyone, from The Comrads to some russian rapper... he still gets respect from most in the industry. I think he's the only one who can pull it off and get away with it. I mean Snoop's prime is well passed but he's still somehow relevant... instead of trying to get back to his doggystyle days he's just doing him... which is acting a fool and doing the hell he wants... and get paid. he was in the forbes 2010 top ten with 10 mil and MIW only sold like 300,000. don't get me wrong i dont really care for his music but at least it's fresh, spontaneous, and sometimes innovative, even if inconsistent... i think he's being real and even if doesn't sound as good as in the 90's, i consider it realer than some rappers that try to repeat the same formula they used in the 90's over and over again and who in the end not only sound outdated but also fake in a way. that's why I don't fuck with Kush (snoop included), no matter how good it is from a musical standpoint, but it's forced and lacks spontaneity...

I agree with you for the most part. That's some real shit!
+1

But I gotta disagree to the Neptunes part :D
I really liked when he was working with Pharrell and Chad. I think the music was very fresh and Snoop added his own interpretation to it and gave it a soul-feeling as well with putting Uncle Charlie Wilson on it for example. I feel like those two, Pharrel and Snoop, were and are a great duo that should do more work together. But maybe that's just because I consider Pharrell as one of my favourite artists musically. This guy is really talented no matter what you say.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

bouli77

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 11:27:22 AM »
But I gotta disagree to the Neptunes part :D
I really liked when he was working with Pharrell and Chad. I think the music was very fresh and Snoop added his own interpretation to it and gave it a soul-feeling as well with putting Uncle Charlie Wilson on it for example. I feel like those two, Pharrel and Snoop, were and are a great duo that should do more work together. But maybe that's just because I consider Pharrell as one of my favourite artists musically. This guy is really talented no matter what you say.

nah man I agree with you, that's what i more or less said "I wasn't a fan of that period but I must admit that Snoop added his own twist to something, he didn't follow the hype or anything. when from da chuuuch to tha palace came out, a lot of people thought it was wack, i thought this was actually dope because snoop had the leverage to not stick to any formula and came up with something cool." I'm just saying i preferred the eastsidaz period.

All the songs with Pharell are cool as hell, From Da Chuuch To Da Palace, Beautiful, Let's Get Blown, Drop It Like It's Hot. They had great chemistry and that kept Snoop relevant in the game. But that's not what I prefer from him. You're right to mention Charlie Wilson too because ever since Snoop put him on those singles he became big again, R. Kelly signed him in 05 and his 09 album hit #1 in the Billboard charts... I don't think it's a coincidence because Snoop had consistently been fucking with him since Doggfather and the impact on Charlie's career wasn't significant (his album bridging the gap and the Gap Band Y2K album didnt really blow) but as soon as he put him on a crossover song, now he's everywhere, doing songs with T-Pain, Lil Kim, Trae or UGK...

blazeindave213

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
I liked what Snoop said in a Dubcnn interview in like 2006 (?), that he makes music, that he like, it may not hit your taste, but he doesnt do it strictly for you..
i totally agree with that, if he really loves what hes doin, loves music, he should do what he feel..

Preach. And I been listening a hella lot of pop lately with my Girl at home and Snoops new stuff is as good or better than the majority of artists stuff out there.

Snoop put out better Albums than Usher, Lady Gaga, Timbaland and even the Black Eyed Peas album 'The E.N.D.' had some banging singles but the album was weak as dishwater.

Hate or love it Snoops an all round performer/entertainer...if you don't want to follow his commercial stuff stick to his stuff that's in-house produced or collabos with other Rappers. And that's nuthin new, been that way since 2000 or before.

whats that nate dogg pic from ?
hoe, if I tell yo flea to pull a tree you get a chain and hook his lil ass up.

geezy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dogg Pound Gangsta 4 Life (west coast love).
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
From the fact that snoop can still do gangta songs sometimes and they sound dope and he goes pop and all too, all it point out to is that SNOOP IS A HUSTLER....Simples!

I don't enjoy or play his poppy songs, but have been bumping Black & Yellow, That Good and been listening to some old ones like WTTC Vol 1 and Dead Man walking.....

He's got music to last me for so long , so if he decides to drop a few more banger, fine, If not goodluck to the man!
Arsenal 4 Life!!!!!!!!!!

Will_B

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
I liked what Snoop said in a Dubcnn interview in like 2006 (?), that he makes music, that he like, it may not hit your taste, but he doesnt do it strictly for you..
i totally agree with that, if he really loves what hes doin, loves music, he should do what he feel..

Preach. And I been listening a hella lot of pop lately with my Girl at home and Snoops new stuff is as good or better than the majority of artists stuff out there.

Snoop put out better Albums than Usher, Lady Gaga, Timbaland and even the Black Eyed Peas album 'The E.N.D.' had some banging singles but the album was weak as dishwater.

Hate or love it Snoops an all round performer/entertainer...if you don't want to follow his commercial stuff stick to his stuff that's in-house produced or collabos with other Rappers. And that's nuthin new, been that way since 2000 or before.

whats that nate dogg pic from ?

Magazine shoot I guess - found it on the web 8) 8)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
i usually defend Snoop, but dancing wit gummi-bears is too much..
thats not a good look, even for a mainstream-dude..

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
your right dog,     dancing with gummi bears crosses the artistic line..........makes the dude look corny...and look like a chump...
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Will_B

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »
i usually defend Snoop, but dancing wit gummi-bears is too much..
thats not a good look, even for a mainstream-dude..

That track was a massive hit though. Constant radio play and video on TV 24/7.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
snoop's dope and he was once one of my favs. until that ego trippin shit came out. what's my name shoulda been the the closest snoop got to pop. mufuckas already know who he is so it's not like he had to introduce himself. snoop's problem is he has too many yes men and not a real musical visionary like dre was for him on death row and also remember when snoop was really spittin suge was jerkin him so i think when he actually started touchin some real paper he went crazy and stopped being hungry and focused. the last album he dropped that was truly a masterpiece was the last meal after that he let pharrell fuck his shit up but at the same time snoop seems to have a bad beat selection without guidance for some reason even though he created classics by himself (doggystyle records 2000 - 1 era) he creates trash which makes some of us feel he can't make top notch shit without dre when he should be able to at this point in his career. but bring that g shit back snoop and write ya own shit.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.