Author Topic: Game's Purp & Patron ***Download*** (2 Dre tracks) [multiple links]  (Read 7934 times)

JohnnyL

Re: Game's Purp & Patron ***Download*** (2 Dre tracks) [multiple links]
« Reply #285 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
This is some of Game`s best work in YEARS.

I agree.  Before hearing this mixtape, I was frankly starting to worry if Game still had it in him to put out quality songs.  I wasn't too crazy about "The R.E.D. Room." I thought "Brake Lights" was better but still not anything stellar. But there's definitely some good stuff on here.  Really need to give the whole thing a few more listens, but so far I think my favorites are "RIP Story," "Taylor Made," "The Kill," "Heartbreaker," "Soft Rhodes," "I Just Want to Fuck," and "Supastar."  Production-wise, it's a really eclectic sounding collection of songs.  It's pretty impressive to me though, that he got all these guest artists and original production and then just gave it all away.  I don't like all of the songs, but production-wise, I wish this was the standard for mixtapes, rather than just rapping over other artists' instrumentals.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2011, 02:06:08 AM »
haha cmon guys, this is gettin' ridicilous... i ain't no Slaughterhouse fan, but Move On...
yeah this is topic about a mixtape :P

I agree.  Before hearing this mixtape, I was frankly starting to worry if Game still had it in him to put out quality songs.  I wasn't too crazy about "The R.E.D. Room." I thought "Brake Lights" was better but still not anything stellar. But there's definitely some good stuff on here.  Really need to give the whole thing a few more listens, but so far I think my favorites are "RIP Story," "Taylor Made," "The Kill," "Heartbreaker," "Soft Rhodes," "I Just Want to Fuck," and "Supastar."  Production-wise, it's a really eclectic sounding collection of songs.  It's pretty impressive to me though, that he got all these guest artists and original production and then just gave it all away.  I don't like all of the songs, but production-wise, I wish this was the standard for mixtapes, rather than just rapping over other artists' instrumentals.
well i think more and more artists drop 'street albums'

JohnnyL

« Reply #287 on: February 05, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
haha cmon guys, this is gettin' ridicilous... i ain't no Slaughterhouse fan, but Move On...

Yeah, that's true.  And I realize Game isn't the only artist to drop mixtapes with original production, but that format is just so much more listenable than conventional mixtapes, especially the untagged versions that do away with all of the dj's shoutouts and b.s. tagged all over the songs.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #288 on: February 05, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »

Yeah, that's true.  And I realize Game isn't the only artist to drop mixtapes with original production, but that format is just so much more listenable than conventional mixtapes, especially the untagged versions that do away with all of the dj's shoutouts and b.s. tagged all over the songs.
yeah the traditional mixtapes suck.

well i can't think of an other artist right now that dropped so much free music in such a short time. although i think bishop lamont is the king of 'street' albums ;)

MistaNova

« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2011, 06:59:00 AM »

well i can't think of an other artist right now that dropped so much free music in such a short time. although i think bishop lamont is the king of 'street' albums ;)

Well Spider Loc and Ya Boy have released quite a lot of free music. Plus for a while Gorilla Zoe was releasing a mixtape everyday for a whole month a while back (none of which I bothered to check out).

JohnnyL

« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2011, 07:07:54 AM »

The only thing that really comes to mind is Nuttso dropped a whole bunch of free songs a few months ago.  But as far as someone dropping that much free music in the form of a couple mixtapes (that pretty much play like albums), I can't think of anyone else.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »
Game murdered his own shit.... wow...

this nigga just dropped 4 or 5 brand new albums in within a year.... crazy!

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
No I didn't.  If you look at my original post, I believe it starts out with me saying that this is not anywhere near the best mixtape of all time, because another person in this thread had said that it was.  So, my original post was also directed at them and anyone else who felt like reading it, for that matter. I also don't think this is a perfect mixtape.

That doesn't mean you didn't catch feelings that someone didn't like it as much as you did.

But there's a difference between reviewing something critically and complaining.  Now, as I've said more times than I can now remember.  I'm not the content police of this forum.  You can complain as much as you want.  My opinion is that rather than complain about a free mixtape, just keep what you want of it and get rid of what you don't.  

I'm not quite sure you know the difference then. Because saying a project is disappointing and has too many filler songs sounds like reviewing to me. I don't see how that is any less valid than any of the other posts saying its hot.

would much rather discuss the actual merits and shortcomings of the mixtape, as that might actually be interesting whereas this is going nowhere.  

Great. So would I. Which was what my og post was about. You're the one who took the discussion off the actual music.  ;)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
^put it to rest, JohnyL already did...

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

The only thing that really comes to mind is Nuttso dropped a whole bunch of free songs a few months ago.  But as far as someone dropping that much free music in the form of a couple mixtapes (that pretty much play like albums), I can't think of anyone else.

You should check out the J Cole mixtape. Also Donwill Laura's Tape. And Blacastan Master of Reality.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
^put it to rest, JohnyL already did...

all I'm doing is responding to posts directed at me...

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
Somebody needs to let it go man. The argument aint goin nowhere

Avalanche

« Reply #297 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
hangover untagged out yet?