Author Topic: New interview with The D.O.C (Splits with Dr. Dre/Talks About Detox)  (Read 5917 times)

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: New interview with The D.O.C (Splits with Dr. Dre/Talks About Detox)
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »
Sorry, but I'm not surprised.  This is what happens when an artist is in decline.  They start to lose their abilities, so they panic and fire the people around them that have the guts to tell the truth and tell them that the music they're making sucks.  It's a product of insecurity.  Dre is growing paranoid as he loses his artistic mettle.  Typically, the way to counteract this is to surround yourself with people who only tell you that your music is still awesome.  It makes you feel better about yourself, but it only leads you further down the rabbit hole.

Who cares? Detox isn't even real anyway
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
19.  Housewife (featuring Kurupt & Hittman)
Written By The D.O.C., Kurupt & Hittman
Bass:  Mike Elizondo
Guitar:  Sean Cruse
Keyboards:  Camara Kambon

5.  Big Egos (featuring Hittman)
Written By The D.O.C. & Hittman
Keyboards:  Scott Storch

Props all my cds are in storage so couldn't check the booklet.

Also, he wasn't around during 50 Cent's reign. The whole Deuce situation, you know. Lol.

Yeah I thought that was round the same time, so this whole D.O.C. up and leaving shit aint new, 3rd time so far

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
I'm a just say Dr.Dre is going to do what he wants even if that includes him being incredibly insecure as proven by Eminem on I Need A Doctor and D.O.C's interview.

Shit happens.  Reality check for everyone involved.

I'm sure Detox will be dope or at least have amazing tracks even if the adult perspective isn't there

Adult perspective? I Need A Doctor is more mature than the majority of the tracks on the Chronic or 2001 if you really look at it. Dre raps about bitches, blunts, 40's and lowriders, I don't know why people all of a sudden expect this huge switch in content with Detox, Dre even said that it's gonna be Detox with a red circle and line through it on the cover so it's obvious he aint actually detoxing. After the intro that is I Need A Doctor I'm expecting another album of Kush type tracks, content wise anyway, honestly though, who the fuck knows

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
I'm a just say Dr.Dre is going to do what he wants even if that includes him being incredibly insecure as proven by Eminem on I Need A Doctor and D.O.C's interview.

Shit happens.  Reality check for everyone involved.

I'm sure Detox will be dope or at least have amazing tracks even if the adult perspective isn't there

I think it is wait and see.  I'm hoping that I need a Doctor becomes a #1 hit, so Dre will put out the album.  From all of the reports Dre's problem hasn't been recording songs, it has been coming up with the single. If INAD catches on hopefully he can release the album without putting any more pop-ish songs on the album.

Except with Dre you'll know he'll want to have at least 3 singles out

Jimmy H.

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
The sad thing is, it'll be pretty easy for him to make something reasonably incredible, using his old formula -

Find some dope samples to loop up, or get some co-producers to bring them to you, sometimes mix a couple of samples from different tracks
Get your session musicians to replay them
Get DOC, Eminem, Snoop, or any number of the best lyricists ever to write dope-ass verses and find a cool hook
Make a whole bunch and pick the best 12, or however many
Then mix that shit up to perfection in the way only Dre can mix stuff

Boom, done - his formula for one of the best rap producers ever was pretty straightforward, thats how the majority of his best tracks were made...
Sure, it wouldn't probably be some next level shit, like never-before-heard stuff, but it would be very dope hip-hop like he always did

Now he doesn't seem to be making hip-hop, but he's not really sure what he's making, just kinda club/pop stuff, and his non-sampling stuff is the same piano keys over and over, with no life in the drums either

Well, to keep it 100. Em has been writing for him and Snoop stopped writing his own shit about 3 years ago so that kills that right there.

Fact is we’ve all built this record up to something it just can’t be. Dre is really expected to turn water into wine with this project. Every West Coast rapper that hasn’t had a fucking hit since his last album, all their fans are expecting Dre to be the answer.

I think it is exactly the opposite.  Music moves on, this is not the 80's and 90's and music continues to evolve.  It takes more courage for an artist to realize that the same old stuff isn't selling and adjust.

BTW what was the last decent track that D.O.C. had a hand in?  Sounds like someone caught feelings.
  Lot of truth there.  But more so, I think some of the people on this board are really naïve when it comes to grasping the pressures that someone like a Dr. Dre has to face. Everyone here is a goddamn pseudo-intellectual psychotherapist and can simplify this man’s problems like you all have the biggest record label in the country and a 20-year rabid fan base breathing down your necks to churn out the most anticipated project in music history. It’s so easy. All he has to do to solve his problems is MAKE THE ALBUM YOU WANT TO HEAR. Never mind the other countless millions whose taste is completely different. And that’s not even putting into consideration the stress that likely comes from having to deal with certain personal tragedies in his life.

It would be great if Dre and Doc were still fucking with each other on this project but nobody really knows what the real is. For all we know, some of D.O.C.’s contributions might make it on there. Maybe next month, they hug and make up and Doc helps Dre put the finishing touches on it. Maybe he don’t. The fact is when it comes to family, whether blood or close friends, brothers fight all the time. We all want to make something personal out of it because these two brothers are famous rappers we grew up on but it’s still deeper than music with these two. Doc seems to get that and I tilt my hat to him in that respect. Everybody else should just cool the fuck down.

Soopahigh

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 03:06:33 AM »
I guess it's time to stop thinking about Detox. It's gonna be wack as hell. Kush was good but that I need a doctor track is garbage

The Predator

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 06:06:42 AM »
Aww for fucks sake!

I been wondering how the fuck has 'The D.O.C' co-signed Dre's pathetic pop direction with his latest wack singles and now we know.

That's the last of the N.W.A crew leaving Dre to his own devices and it dont sound good for us hip-hop purists.

'Can it all be that it was all so simple then' ® Wu-Tang

JohnnyL

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 06:20:09 AM »
  As a fan, for now I'm still proceeding with a wait and see approach to this whole "Detox" album.  I think it's still pretty early to write it off entirely.  But I don't think it's ever a good thing when you hear stories like this that suggest that maybe Dre has shut himself off to critcism/feedback from his closest friends.  I don't know if anyone else got this impression, but it seemed to me that D.O.C. may be alluding to the idea that the earlier "Detox" sessions were better than what Dre's been recording recently.  I think he only really mentioned that "Topless" track by name, but it got me thinking that it would really suck if "Detox" had been better off if it had been release several years ago rather than in it's current incarnation that's allegedly coming soon.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
I think it is exactly the opposite.  Music moves on, this is not the 80's and 90's and music continues to evolve.  It takes more courage for an artist to realize that the same old stuff isn't selling and adjust.

BTW what was the last decent track that D.O.C. had a hand in?  Sounds like someone caught feelings.

Music dont evolve, its an art, it does NOT change.. mainstream change, not the music..

thegooddoc

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »

Music dont evolve, its an art, it does NOT change.. mainstream change, not the music..

Everything evolves even art.  If it doesn't evolve or continue to change it dies off. The way music is delivered to the masses evolves, the instruments used to create music evolve, deliveries evolve, vocal patterns evolve, the consumers musical tastes evolve.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »
I have huge respect for D.O.C. (also even more respect after him saying he's in it for the art, not the money and what not). obviously there's always more than one side to a story, but like someone said earlier, seems like there's a lot of truth in this. anyway, the way i see it is it's a damn shame the way he's been treated over the years.

on the Jay-Z thing, would be so cool if Jay helped D.O.C. become a star (again), where'd he'd get the props he deserves 8)
he mostly treated himself bad, after the accident. he even tried to drag people down with him....
not saying it's easy to deal with voice change.

very interesting interview. but we only get to hear one side of the story. now you can tell that DOC is at least partially right cause Sam Sneed said similar things. The thing is The D.o.C. seems far more negative than Sneed. I smell bitterness. Can't blame him though, I would be fucking bitter too in his position. But he just didn't diss Dre overtly cause I'm sure he expects Dre to holler back at him in the future and to understand his point. Look at Daz, once he dissed Dre publicly he was never seen around him again (he wasnt even part of the up in smoke tour), and he did try to reach out to him by shouting him out in interviews and stuff but it never happened.

The D.o.C. is no doubt a rap legend, but I doubt he was true about everything in this interview. I remember Jerry Heller's autobiography. he was basically saying that doc was the most impressive rap artist he had ever met, that he could have blown the industry big time and that he even could have had restored his voice had he not missed the appointments Jerry had set up for him. But he also wrote about how the D.O.C. was a fucked up dude. Nowthat's Jerry's opinion and side of the story but I do believe that doc's not the stand up guy he wants people to believe he is...

one thing's for sure. this guy is a visionary. he was behind some of the biggest rap albums in history. so he knows what he is doing. so as everyone said, if he aint fucking with this album, it's for a reason. i totally lost faith in detox after Kush came out IMO. and i agree 100% with the d.o.c. with grown ups acting like they're still in their mid-20's.
i agree. Dre & The D.O.C. were just jealous of Eazy. they don't have the balls to admit it

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
I agree with what was said above. and we also need to remember that this isn't the first time D.O.C just packs his shit and leaves... and then comes back.

Dubcnn: After 2001, you hit us up with “Deuce”. Did you accomplish what you wanted to accomplish with that release? Do you feel good about that record?

You know what? I really felt good at the time, but “Deuce” was the result of an argument between me and Dre. That record was actually supposed to be an album on a guy called Six-Two, who was in my camp. But as we started building the album, it was coming through Aftermath, me and Dre got into an argument. So I just took my shit and left.

Dubcnn: Similar to what it was with the Helter Skelter project?

Well yeah. I told you we fuss, we fight; we’re brothers. But the Helter Skelter record was really Dre’s record, I just took it *laughs*.

Dubcnn: Just took it and ran with it!

Just took it and ran with it ‘cause I’m the only nigga that could do that! I relish my position as the man, next to the man goddamn it!

Source : http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/thedoc08-part1/

I'm not siding with D.O.C or Dre, they probably both have their valid reasons, but D.O.C seems to go through these phases were he see's how damn powerful Dre is in the rap industry and feels bitter about it and wishes he could get some of that spotlight.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:47:25 AM by The Ultimate Pianist »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
I agree with what was said above. and we also need to remember that this isn't the first time D.O.C just packs his shit and leaves... and then comes back.

Dubcnn: After 2001, you hit us up with “Deuce”. Did you accomplish what you wanted to accomplish with that release? Do you feel good about that record?

You know what? I really felt good at the time, but “Deuce” was the result of an argument between me and Dre. That record was actually supposed to be an album on a guy called Six-Two, who was in my camp. But as we started building the album, it was coming through Aftermath, me and Dre got into an argument. So I just took my shit and left.

Dubcnn: Similar to what it was with the Helter Skelter project?

Well yeah. I told you we fuss, we fight; we’re brothers. But the Helter Skelter record was really Dre’s record, I just took it *laughs*.

Dubcnn: Just took it and ran with it!

Just took it and ran with it ‘cause I’m the only nigga that could do that! I relish my position as the man, next to the man goddamn it!

Source : http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/thedoc08-part1/

I'm not siding with D.O.C or Dre, they probably both have their valid reasons, but D.O.C seems to go through these phases were he see's how damn powerful Dre is in the rap industry and feels bitter about it and wishes he could get some of that spotlight.
he could have had a few more albums out by now. maybe they wouldn't have reached platinum, but that's not important

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »

What are you on? Of course it does. Sounds evolve. You've got rappers doing stuff today that wasn't even possible in the 80s or even 90s. You've got rappers going in directions that haven't been thought of before. And as far as mainstream goes, most of the changes that occur on the mainstream were developed in the underground.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not surprised.  This is what happens when an artist is in decline.  They start to lose their abilities, so they panic and fire the people around them that have the guts to tell the truth and tell them that the music they're making sucks.  It's a product of insecurity.  Dre is growing paranoid as he loses his artistic mettle.  Typically, the way to counteract this is to surround yourself with people who only tell you that your music is still awesome.  It makes you feel better about yourself, but it only leads you further down the rabbit hole.

well if you count the tracks d.o.c. wrote over dre's production + that's that shit on tha blue carpet treatment. he had snoop flowing like a muthafucka. d.o.c. leaving is dre's loss. d.o.c had the best set of ears in that camp.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.