Author Topic: RARE: Big L and his killer in the same pic!  (Read 1221 times)

MistaNova

Re: RARE: Big L and his killer in the same pic!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »
Big L doesn't seem like he could of gone mainstream lol.

I kinda thought that if Big L wasn't killed he would've just faded away or be a rapper who occasionally dropped albums like every 3 or 4 years (Cormega, N.O.R.E etc...).
I don't think he would've sold out, but I kinda doubt he could've made the mainstream in the first place. I mean his album is considered a classic but at the time everyone was listening to Ma$e and the Nas V.S. Jay-Z beef was strewing in the distance. Big L couldn't have fit into the mainstream scene at a time like that (LODP&D was #149 on the Billboard 200, is that really a success?). Big L was a dope-ass MC and lyricist, but I don't think he was capable of making songs that the mainstream accepted. Dude was a battle rapper so the charm his songs had were his verses, but the music industry was starting to change into a place were you needed crafted songs with hooks in order for them to top the charts. It's likely he would've disagreed with his label's creative vision and gotten dropped like Rakim at Aftermath. Even if Big L signed to Rocafella he probably would've just disappeared from the public like Memphis Bleek.

Anunikke

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:56 AM »

I kinda thought that if Big L wasn't killed he would've just faded away or be a rapper who occasionally dropped albums like every 3 or 4 years (Cormega, N.O.R.E etc...).
I don't think he would've sold out, but I kinda doubt he could've made the mainstream in the first place. I mean his album is considered a classic but at the time everyone was listening to Ma$e and the Nas V.S. Jay-Z beef was strewing in the distance. Big L couldn't have fit into the mainstream scene at a time like that (LODP&D was #149 on the Billboard 200, is that really a success?). Big L was a dope-ass MC and lyricist, but I don't think he was capable of making songs that the mainstream accepted. Dude was a battle rapper so the charm his songs had were his verses, but the music industry was starting to change into a place were you needed crafted songs with hooks in order for them to top the charts. It's likely he would've disagreed with his label's creative vision and gotten dropped like Rakim at Aftermath. Even if Big L signed to Rocafella he probably would've just disappeared from the public like Memphis Bleek.
Lifestylez is generally considered one of the greatest albums of all time, you can't compare it to the war report and definitely not to the realness.

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »

according to Jay-Z, Big L was literally days away from signing with Rocafella. i imagine Jay would've made Big L a mainstream success as well tbh

Anunikke

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »

according to Jay-Z, Big L was literally days away from signing with Rocafella. i imagine Jay would've made Big L a mainstream success as well tbh
Yes because Jay-Z is known for producing mainstream successes...
He would've dropped Big L if he wasn't going to sell enough records. I'm guessing Big L would've gotten mad since he gave Jay some shine before his debut dropped and we have jay-z getting ethered more than he did because of nas.

StevenQBosell

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
He would've dropped Big L if he wasn't going to sell enough records. I'm guessing Big L would've gotten mad since he gave Jay some shine before his debut dropped and we have jay-z getting ethered more than he did because of nas.

This seems the most plausible.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
I heard Jayz had Big L killed
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:52 PM »
  ??? where did you hear that

MistaNova

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »

I read about that, it was right next to where they said Daz sent an AIDS infested bitch over to Eazy's crib.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »

I read about that, it was right next to where they said Daz sent an AIDS infested bitch over to Eazy's crib.

I hear Daz was the bitch who gave the aids to eazy  ???
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »

Lifestylez is generally considered one of the greatest albums of all time, you can't compare it to the war report and definitely not to the realness.

Lol, no.

MistaNova

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:51 PM »

Really? I thought it was overrated. Big L had mad skills, but when it's all said and done that album's considered great by them so-called "Hip Hop Purists" because he died. If Ma$e died before he retired everyone would be calling Harlem World a classic now.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
Really? It's one of my favorites.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »
Lifestylez is one of the 1 in 1, 000 examples of an artist making an LP with 0 filler songs  (filler meaning songs that I skip)

Lifestyles, MAkaveli, Liquid Swords, Slim Shady LP, Infinite, I Need Drugs, Thug Life vol 1, R U Still Down (posthumous), 2pacalypse Now, Illmatic, Chronic, Doggystyle (well I skip the intro on DS), Fatal's first album In The Line Of Fire and the horrorcore classics Doubelievengod by Natas and 6 Feet Deep by GRavediggaz.

that's an elite list of albums for any backpacker

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
Really? It's one of my favorites.

But its a pretty big exaggeration to say its considered one of the greatest albums of all time.

BIGWORM

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Fuck weird shit. I just found an album from 1986 that features a bunch of songs "Supercat" did with "Nitty Gritty".

"Nitty Gritty" was an up and coming reggae singer that "Supercat" murdered and claimed self defense.

But to have them on album covers together is horrible for his family members to always see.