Author Topic: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)  (Read 10083 times)

NoobCake

Re: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
The problem with this is it conforms. Dre never showed signs of conforming before. HE decided whats hot and the industry (at least the west) basically follows. Instead of doing that right now, he's conforming. Alex Da Kid? Really?

Airplanes (B.o.B)
Airplanes Part 2 (B.O.B)
Love The Way You Lie (Eminem)
Castle Walls (T.I.)
Coming Home (Diddy)
I Need A Doctor (Dr. Dre)

What's the difference? There all Alex Da Kid productions, with "good mainstream" beats and catchy female hooks. That's 100% conforming. That's the problem with this track.

This track has the potential to attract people to pay attention to Dr. Dre that would have never done so before.  Now if the whole album is like this track I'll be very disappointed.
Millions of people would buy this album regardless. He could have came with a mainstream successful joint without alienating his fan base (somethin' like In Da Club beat).

Watch, this album is gonna be very mainstream

Would they?  Dre is 45.  That's Interscope's biggest challenge and the reason they decided to make a song like "i need a doctor" the first or second single.  Obviously they don't think millions of people would buy this album regardless.  How do you promote a 45 year old rapper to people who buy records (teenagers)?  If he actually does end up selling millions of Detox, that would be unprecedented. 
The guy is looked at as the Quincy Jones of hip-hop. He would sell regardless. Even teenagers at least would "pretend" to like Dr. Dre because they know its the "cool" thing to do to attempt and prove they're "hip-hop heads." And therefore, buy his record.

They're panicking and it's not necessary.

We'll agree to disagree then.  He's viewed as something special by people who listened to him in the 90's.  I don't think your average 15-20 year old today gives 2 shits about Dre.

Lunatic

« Reply #121 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:29 PM »
The problem with this is it conforms. Dre never showed signs of conforming before. HE decided whats hot and the industry (at least the west) basically follows. Instead of doing that right now, he's conforming. Alex Da Kid? Really?

Airplanes (B.o.B)
Airplanes Part 2 (B.O.B)
Castle Walls (T.I.)
Coming Home (Diddy)

What's the difference? There all Alex Da Kid productions, with "good mainstream" beats and catchy female hooks. That's 100% conforming. That's the problem with this track.

This track has the potential to attract people to pay attention to Dr. Dre that would have never done so before.  Now if the whole album is like this track I'll be very disappointed.
Millions of people would buy this album regardless. He could have came with a mainstream successful joint without alienating his fan base (somethin' like In Da Club beat).

Would they?  Dre is 45.  That's Interscope's biggest challenge and the reason they decided to make a song like "i need a doctor" the first or second single.  Obviously they don't think millions of people would buy this album regardless.  How do you promote a 45 year old rapper to people who buy records (teenagers)?  If he actually does end up selling millions of Detox, that would be unprecedented. 
The guy is looked at as the Quincy Jones of hip-hop. He would sell regardless. Even teenagers at least would "pretend" to like Dr. Dre because they know its the "cool" thing to do to attempt and prove they're "hip-hop heads." And therefore, buy his record.

They're panicking and it's not necessary.

We'll agree to disagree then.  He's viewed as something special by people who listened to him in the 90's.  I don't think your average 15-20 year old today gives 2 shits about Dre.
All my friends are 20 year old white guys who live in the suburbs. They all know Dr. Dre. I know for a fact a few of them will cop Detox.

But yes, all good sir, agree to disagree.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

NoobCake

« Reply #122 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »

Airplanes (B.o.B)
Airplanes Part 2 (B.O.B)
Castle Walls (T.I.)
Coming Home (Diddy)

If Jay-Z can do it....

Not a good analogy.  Jay Z is 40 1st of all and he regularly releases albums.  Between albums he's still always out there doing mixtapes, features, etc.  Dre is a recluse.  He comes out of his cave every 10 years and this time i think it's too little too late.

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »
this track reintroduces dr.dre to the millions of eminem fans, pretty logical move in termes of sales. Can't wait for next singles even if this one is clearly a dissapointement. Its would be a nice track, if only it wasnt meant for detox..

The D.O.C and

thegooddoc

« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »

Airplanes (B.o.B)
Airplanes Part 2 (B.O.B)
Castle Walls (T.I.)
Coming Home (Diddy)

And of the above songs, I thing I Need A Doctor may be the worst...also, Lupe has a new ALex Da Kid joint as well, and it blows I Need a Doctor away

That's the saddest thing. Let's add Lupe's new single to the list which copies this formula (but he spits real shit). "I Need A Doctor" is easily the worst on the list. He was completely outdone by Eminem, Lupe Fiasco, Eminem, and yes west coast fans, B.o.B., ESPECIALLY T.I. (the best of the bunch) and even Diddy   ;)

Lupe's single is extremely well written but it sounds like a reference track or a left over.  I will bet money that it doesn't even sniff Eminem's, Diddy's or Dre's sales numbers for a single.  It is simply not commercial enough, and that chick's hook is terrible.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:47 AM »
lol @ one of the reviews that pops up on itunes

Weak (One Star)

by Eric Davis

The Dre of NWA and "The Chronic" is officially gone forever. The Originator now sounds like all of the other crap rap beats. Where's the bumps???! Where the beats that made your head bob? This song might as well be called Airplanes 2 and appear on B.o.B's album.

could you post some more reviews? i don't have itunes installed

David Gutterman

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2011, 12:12:36 AM »

Airplanes (B.o.B)
Airplanes Part 2 (B.O.B)
Castle Walls (T.I.)
Coming Home (Diddy)

If Jay-Z can do it....

Not a good analogy.  Jay Z is 40 1st of all and he regularly releases albums.  Between albums he's still always out there doing mixtapes, features, etc.  Dre is a recluse.  He comes out of his cave every 10 years and this time i think it's too little too late.

Jay constantly keeps himself aligned with the hottest artists in the game, peep his new album Rihanna, Drake and Kanye. Besides, Jay has never done huge numbers, he just consistantly goes Platinum and retains the majority of his fanbase while gaining new fans to replace the ones who drop off...

As long as this single is the intro to Detox, and rest of the album sounds different I'm happy. Who knows though, with the success of thiss track they may make a shitty ass pop version of the album. We've had two singles with two completely different sounds and subject matter, so I think it's hard to pinpoint which direction Dre is going with this.

Lucifuge

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
when its video drop
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2011, 05:36:43 AM »
 :-X

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »
that itunes review is on point, I've never heard a track from Dre bump less
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2011, 06:07:42 AM »
Lol it's already at #1 on iTunes (Kush took a long time to peak at only 10), I think it'll be either the same, or very close on the actual Billboard charts as well. See Dre, selling out does work!

And i'll say it again, I don't care much this song sucks or how much of a sell-out it is, just someone explain why the FUCK he's not producing his own shit on one of the most hyped albums of all time, mostly due to HIS production!?!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:14:07 AM by TDOT »

Matty

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2011, 06:15:46 AM »

Weak (One Star)

by Eric Davis

The Dre of NWA and "The Chronic" is officially gone forever. The Originator now sounds like all of the other crap rap beats. Where's the bumps???! Where the beats that made your head bob? This song might as well be called Airplanes 2 and appear on B.o.B's album.

i'm just on the site, don't use itunes either.

here's another though, somebody who liked it :laugh:

DRE IS BACK!!! (Five Stars)

by Jennifer Kelly

this song is awesome! soo glad that dre's hiatus is finally over! dre and shady forever :D

:banana:

HighEyeCue

« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2011, 06:22:46 AM »
that itunes review is on point, I've never heard a track from Dre bump less

:-X

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »

Weak (One Star)

by Eric Davis

i'm just on the site, don't use itunes either.

here's another though, somebody who liked it :laugh:

DRE IS BACK!!! (Five Stars)

by Jennifer Kelly

this song is awesome! soo glad that dre's hiatus is finally over! dre and shady forever :D

:banana:

i see, i must have checked the wrong page then, cause i didn't see any reviews yesterday.

lol at the review, haha