Author Topic: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)  (Read 10088 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Dr. DRE Featuring Eminem & Skylar Grey - I Need A Doctor (Promo CDS)
« Reply #195 on: February 05, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »
Its such a shame cause I really think Under Pressure is a MUCH better song!
i disagree.

Where did those Jimmy Iovine conspiracy theories begin?
People need someone to blame. Jimmy is the face they can use for that. He's not an artist with a fanbase who will defend them so someone could say "Jimmy Iovine lours small children into ice cream trucks and rapes them then programs them to like Lady Gaga music" and nobody will even bother to question the absuridty of it all because who cares? It's very easy to shit on the guy that everyone is shitting on. Jimmy Iovine is to this forum what singing the Russian national anthem at a wrestling match was to crowds in the 1980's. What bothers me is how buying into all of this has really fucking DUMBED DOWN this forum. I mean, we talk all day about how pop music is trying to turn us all into lemmings but in the aggravation, we are buying into equally-idiotic theories just to break away from the norm.

And everyone is so knowledgeable as to the inner-workings of the Interscope executives. These transcripts of what we believe a meeting sounds like are fucking genius.  Case in point.
you're right about the sheep mentality.
but i think you quoted a bad example: UCC was just speculating, he didn't claim to be an expert.

“Okay, what we need to do here is for you to go out and shoot the ball so that it falls inside the hoop.”

It’s kind of a crazy outside-the-box theory of mine but maybe Dre knows he needs a “catchy single”. Maybe somewhere in the 25 years he’s been making mainstream music, he figured out that that the jump-off single for the album should appeal to as many potential buyers as possible so cashing in on having the most popular artist in music being signed to his label seemed like a good idea. I know he doesn’t have an account on this forum so his knowledge of the music business and how to make a hit record is iffy compared to ours but he could be on to something.

The argument of “selling out” is one that needs to die too. When he returned to gangsta rap after declaring it dead, nobody had nothing to say because he was giving the paying audience what they demanded. Now, when he’s working with one of his own artists (who he clearly gets a strong creative fulfillment from working with) and doing a record that the public clearly answers to, it’s a different story. Now, he’s Jimmy Iovine’s puppet.

If Dre is a sell-out, he’s a goddamn shitty one. Skipping out on the N.W.A. album after the Up In Smoke tour, the Farm Club performance, and Em’s diamond-selling second album probably cost him a nice chunk of change. Turning down a much publicized offer from Michael Jackson probably cost him some dough too. Hell, had he thrown out beats to half the mainstream people who wanted them on his albums during any of his hotter periods (Death Row, post 8-Mile and 50’s album, etc.), he’d be that much fucking richer.

It goes back to a similar statement I made about Game to his haters. Dre is no less of a sell-out today than he was in 1994. He’s working under the same basic business umbrella and catering to the same market place. The market may have changed. The audience’s tastes may have as well. Dre’s objective I’d argue is the same but the pressure to maintain is much harder.

I hear talk of people saying that it’s time to “lower your expectations” and that’s not the answer. Instead of limiting your expectations to traditional West Coast sounds or typical Dre guest features, listen to the music on its own merits. Broaden your expectations a little bit. Don’t judge the work on some hypothetical dream album you were never going to get. Judge it on what it is. 

lol at the sarcasm, but it's on point.
with that said, wouldn't you agree that Dre has lost his confidence?

as far as selling out goes, i think you have a point, but wouldn't you agree that Dre hopped on the bandwagon this time?
the singles of his previous albums didn't sound like anything else that dropped before they were released.
sure the singles had mainstream appeal, but with it's own sound.
i can't say that about Dre's latest singles.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #196 on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:35 AM »
And everyone is so knowledgeable as to the inner-workings of the Interscope executives. These transcripts of what we believe a meeting sounds like are fucking genius.  Case in point.

I reckon this is what happened...

Jimmy and marketing over at Interscope said to Dre, "make sure you have a single, make something we can sell easily..."
And Dre was like, mmm, ok, I'll make a dancey number and have Akon on it and make it sound like the rest of the Detox tracks, but a little more obviously commercial,
and he's like, "Here you go guys, I did the single! It's called Kush" ...

And then Jimmy & Co were like, "wellll... ok, we'll try that as well, but just in case that doesn't really light the world on fire, then how about you just drop a little verse on the end of this Eminem track he did for you..."

And I bet basketball coaches talk to their star players like this.

“Okay, what we need to do here is for you to go out and shoot the ball so that it falls inside the hoop.”

It’s kind of a crazy outside-the-box theory of mine but maybe Dre knows he needs a “catchy single”. Maybe somewhere in the 25 years he’s been making mainstream music, he figured out that that the jump-off single for the album should appeal to as many potential buyers as possible so cashing in on having the most popular artist in music being signed to his label seemed like a good idea. I know he doesn’t have an account on this forum so his knowledge of the music business and how to make a hit record is iffy compared to ours but he could be on to something.

The argument of “selling out” is one that needs to die too. When he returned to gangsta rap after declaring it dead, nobody had nothing to say because he was giving the paying audience what they demanded. Now, when he’s working with one of his own artists (who he clearly gets a strong creative fulfillment from working with) and doing a record that the public clearly answers to, it’s a different story. Now, he’s Jimmy Iovine’s puppet.

If Dre is a sell-out, he’s a goddamn shitty one. Skipping out on the N.W.A. album after the Up In Smoke tour, the Farm Club performance, and Em’s diamond-selling second album probably cost him a nice chunk of change. Turning down a much publicized offer from Michael Jackson probably cost him some dough too. Hell, had he thrown out beats to half the mainstream people who wanted them on his albums during any of his hotter periods (Death Row, post 8-Mile and 50’s album, etc.), he’d be that much fucking richer.

It goes back to a similar statement I made about Game to his haters. Dre is no less of a sell-out today than he was in 1994. He’s working under the same basic business umbrella and catering to the same market place. The market may have changed. The audience’s tastes may have as well. Dre’s objective I’d argue is the same but the pressure to maintain is much harder.

I know Dre knows that you have to have a strong single, but what Dre-Day is saying is right...

There is a difference making a song like G Thang or Let Me Ride, or Still DRE, which all fit the mold of the album they're on, and are produced by Dre, and are on some gangsta shit, and are considered classic hip-hop as well as selling big... and then making a song which clearly is a pop record

The only reason I bring Jimmy and Interscope into it is because it just seems like Dre tried making some hit single on his own (Under Pressure, Kush), but they didn't work out in the eyes of the label...
He didn't even produce INAD or do much on it, which seems a pretty odd thing to do for the first single of an album he's quoted as saying he wants to be some perfect, next level farewell album.

Imagine if Dre hadn't been able to get a hit single in the early 90s, so he dropped a verse at the end of a Boyz 2 Men record or an MC Hammer record, and then put it on the Chronic as the lead single... it would have been huge at the time, but it would have raised some eyebrows for sure and we'd look at the Chronic a bit differently

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:13:46 AM by UCC »

EnzoUK

« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

as far as selling out goes, i think you have a point, but wouldn't you agree that Dre hopped on the bandwagon this time?
the singles of his previous albums didn't sound like anything else that dropped before they were released.

+1 totally agree
Twitter: @EnzoUK

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #198 on: February 05, 2011, 05:55:46 AM »

+1 totally agree
Dre even said recently he wasn't listening to new (rap) music, but i don't believe that.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #199 on: February 05, 2011, 06:01:26 AM »
Dre had a problem finding that first single for 2001 also, I think Still DRE was one of the last songs that was recorded. I think any track from that album could have been a single though but Still DRE was the perfect way to reintroduce Dre back into the rap world. This time it is more difficult because he was gone for 11,12 years and I guess he felt the heat after the underwhelming leaks and went the safe route with I Need a Doctor.

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2011, 08:18:42 AM »
Dre had a problem finding that first single for 2001 also, I think Still DRE was one of the last songs that was recorded. I think any track from that album could have been a single though but Still DRE was the perfect way to reintroduce Dre back into the rap world. This time it is more difficult because he was gone for 11,12 years and I guess he felt the heat after the underwhelming leaks and went the safe route with I Need a Doctor.

Co-sign. It's as simple and evident as that.

Will_B

« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
Heard this on Kiss 100 in London today. Dre is back 8)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
Imagine if Dre hadn't been able to get a hit single in the early 90s, so he dropped a verse at the end of a Boyz 2 Men record or an MC Hammer record, and then put it on the Chronic as the lead single... it would have been huge at the time, but it would have raised some eyebrows for sure and we'd look at the Chronic a bit differently.

I'd say that's far from the same thing. For starters, MC Hammer was barely relevant when the Chronic dropped. Neither of those acts were on Dre's label. Eminem is not only an artist on Aftermath but one that Dre has consistently worked with regularly since before 2001 dropped. If we're gonna make a Death Row comparison, it would be like if Dre jumped on a Snoop record. I don't however feel that just because Em has more verses and opens the track, that it's just Dre dropping a verse on an Eminem track. The focal point of the content is Dr. Dre and the song is structured for Dre to jump in at the end. If you listen to the lyrics, it's building to that.

love33

« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2011, 02:47:10 PM »
This is just a cop out for making a good quality first single.  Lets be honest -- this is an Eminem song here.  Dre has a small verse on the end and the production sounds like it's for Eminem and even the hook is a corny rave-like hook for Eminem.  This doesn't even hold anything to what Dre's done in the past and he needs to get his act together.  This is him saying "Hey Eminem, go make the record for me cause you can sell and I cant right now."

Will_B

« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
This is just a cop out for making a good quality first single.  Lets be honest -- this is an Eminem song here.  Dre has a small verse on the end and the production sounds like it's for Eminem and even the hook is a corny rave-like hook for Eminem.  This doesn't even hold anything to what Dre's done in the past and he needs to get his act together.  This is him saying "Hey Eminem, go make the record for me cause you can sell and I cant right now."

The album version will probably have an extra verse/big outro transforming into a massive ear shredding, head nodding beat. How bout that? :laugh:

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »
Some good points made by dre day and Jimmy h, im to hungover to comment right now but good read +1

love33

« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2011, 03:55:16 PM »
I mean, what I'm seeing here is: "Jay-Z write the songs for me and Eminem do the songs for me and I'll rap a small little verse that you write for me."  What good is the artist if he can't do the songs or write the songs?  The production sounds even very-average for Dre.  To me, the track that he did with Jay-Z sounded good but can't he record a single without Jay-Z or Eminem and just do either an all West single or a solo single like "Let Me Ride" or "Keep Their Heads Ringin"?  I think most people want to hear Dre do a Dre record, not Eminem or Jay-Z. If people want to hear Eminem or Jay-Z, they will go buy their albums.  Now Kush was okay for a filler track, but when are we gonna hear Dre do Dre.  I'd rather him do the record and put an occasional guest appearance by Ya Boy, Eastwood, Young Keno, or Crooked I.  Put a few new west rappers on there otherwise everyone is going to say "Jay-Z and Eminem carried your album" -- and you do know that.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »
Some good points made by dre day and Jimmy h, im to hungover to comment right now but good read +1
you're welcome.

lol at you though, first you mix up game with bishop, now this?  :laugh:

Jimmy H.

« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2011, 02:41:52 AM »
I mean, what I'm seeing here is: "Jay-Z write the songs for me and Eminem do the songs for me and I'll rap a small little verse that you write for me."  What good is the artist if he can't do the songs or write the songs?  The production sounds even very-average for Dre.  To me, the track that he did with Jay-Z sounded good but can't he record a single without Jay-Z or Eminem and just do either an all West single or a solo single like "Let Me Ride" or "Keep Their Heads Ringin"?  I think most people want to hear Dre do a Dre record, not Eminem or Jay-Z. If people want to hear Eminem or Jay-Z, they will go buy their albums.  Now Kush was okay for a filler track, but when are we gonna hear Dre do Dre.  I'd rather him do the record and put an occasional guest appearance by Ya Boy, Eastwood, Young Keno, or Crooked I.  Put a few new west rappers on there otherwise everyone is going to say "Jay-Z and Eminem carried your album" -- and you do know that.
What do you care what the album sounds like as long as it has a club song for Miami heads to dance to? I mean is the same guy who suggested that Ice Cube, Warren G, and Crooked I all have to do some faggot-ass club crossover shit so the Florida dance crowd embraces them really gonna bitch about how people are gonna perceive Dre as an artist for having the same people ghostwrite his shit that did it 10 years ago. Fuck that.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2011, 03:44:57 AM »
lol @ suggesting crooked i be on detox

You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.