Author Topic: Nobody finds it a little amusing...  (Read 1461 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Nobody finds it a little amusing...
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »
that in most threads that get created in this section, somebody mentions that "The West is dead", "The West doesn't sell", "Somebody needs to put the West back on the map" & then when Dr. Dre releases a single that still may not, but is without doubt going to the right direction to do so & everybody is against it?

I think basically where I am going with this is, alright. You're all dying for West Coast Hip Hop to be relevant again, so what exactly do you want released to do so? Like what would your dream song be that would realistically do great on the charts & still have that classic West Coast feel to it? Let's be honest, "Kush" was West Coast & it did alright. I mean, I'm not complaining about it's numbers, but didn't come close to the Top 25, if I'm not mistaken. So that's a pretty good attempt at a mainstream, but yet a West Coast feel to a song & it didn't work out at all as far as "bringing the West back".

So you tell me, if you want the Coast to be "back on the map", yet you're going to basically make ten threads about boycotting the one single that could very well do just that; what exactly would you accept? & I mean something that will realistically work. Not some West Coast junkie dream.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Nobody finds it a little amusing...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
I don't think anybody is denying the fact that Dre is/can put the West back on the map, but that doesn't change anything about the quality of his work, or lack thereof. I would say everyone is/should be happy with Detox coming out, period. But as I said, when the quality clearly doesn't come close to the hype, then what would you expect from any hip-hop fans. Also, I think most people are pissed with his means of taking back the spotlight (mainstream, sellout, etc.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:53:23 PM by TDOT »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
I don't think anybody is denying the fact that Dre is/can put the West back on the map, but that doesn't change anything about the quality of his work, or lack thereof.

Yeah, but at least it's a West Coast artist doing well right? What kind of quality work that sounds like a West Coast anthem would do anything on the charts? This is honestly your best bet, if you ask me lol.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »
How bout some Westside Story beats wit niggas rappin' over 'em who ain't dressed in broad tight jeans in they music videos lookin' like some homo ass rock stars.

JohnnyL

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
  Well, I do find it somewhat interesting that some people seem to hate "I Need a Doctor" so bad that they now hate "Kush" and are even convinced that the entire "Detox" album will be bad.  I guess you could call it hatred by association.  I'm not saying everyone is like that because I know some people said they didn't like "Kush" even before "I Need a Doctor" came out.  But I have noticed a distinct drop in its popularity, and the popularity of "Detox" in general.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:04:49 PM »
How bout some Westside Story beats wit niggas rappin' over 'em who ain't dressed in broad tight jeans in they music videos lookin' like some homo ass rock stars.

Did you ever see the insert in the Eazy E 187umm album?

thats DRE you're describing
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
 :D

thegooddoc

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:08:45 PM »
I think it is funny that some people are so hell bent on dissing this song that they go out of their way to say how bad it is.  They will even purchase the song on Itunes simply to complain about it.  Now that is true hate.  Especially when ITunes will give you a 1:30 min sample of the song for free.   ;D

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »

Ahhhhh, Westside Story did not sell that album, my friend. That song was found as a result of people buying the album based off of "How We Do". Great song. However, in 2011 I don't know how that would work out.

But while we're on the subject of Game, he seems to be leaning towards that "My single will be a sellout single too" phase.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »

Ahhhhh, Westside Story did not sell that album, my friend. That song was found as a result of people buying the album based off of "How We Do". Great song. However, in 2011 I don't know how that would work out.

But while we're on the subject of Game, he seems to be leaning towards that "My single will be a sellout single too" phase.

I don't know what I was thinking but I was expecting some 'gangsta beats' from a 'gangsta producer'.

I don't like rap no mo' son. :'(

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »
If Interscope/UMG pushes ANY Detox single (could be the most gangsta song of all time) as much as they pushed LTWYL or even Not Afraid, then you would see how this "must make a mainstream single to be successful" theory is thrown out the window. It doesn't matter what the song is, as long as it gets a ridiculous backing, it'll be mad successful. I know a lot of people won't buy that, but it's the truth. Of course it has to be at least somewhat decent if it's a rap song, but thats the way it is. Kush didn't recieve nearly what it should have (maybe because it wasn't supposed to come out anyways) and therefore was considered at least a semi-flop. That theory of "make good music and it will do good" is so far from the truth, sadly. And now watch, I Need A Doctor will get a HUGE push from Interscope/UMG and will blow. I strongly believe they could have (and should have) done that with Kush, but didn't feel it was the "right" single.

I know it isn't 2003 and 2005 anymore, but look at In Da Club & How We Do. Both songs were complete gangsta rap songs, had tons of cussing and other non-radio themes, and yet, both were HUGE. That'll happen when your label (and more importantly, the higher label) fully backs a project.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:25:11 PM by TDOT »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »

I don't know what I was thinking but I was expecting some 'gangsta beats' from a 'gangsta producer'.

I don't like rap no mo' son. :'(

Chin up, brotha lol.

There is good music out there.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Half of the people here don't know if they want G-Funk or not, want west coast rappers to do movies or not, want them to sign with other people outside of the west or not, or can't decide if Dre and DPGC fell off or still make dope music or not. Half support Game, half don't, half hate 40 Glocc, half love him, hardly anyone checks for the underground, where the REAL talent is at and has been for years on the west so to answer your question I am not amused or find it funny at all. Sounds spot on people want to boycott a Dre single.

MOON KNIGHT

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »
Again, I think alot of it has to do with people's expectations. 10+ years in the making for this... :eh:
No offense but a song called "Kush"...I wonder how long it took to come up with that concept ! A song which he didn't write or produce. I Need A Doctor ? (Don't get me started  ;)) You might as well rename Detox, "Dr. Dre & Friends". You might be able to excite some people with these releases, but I've listened to most anything that ever mattered in Hip Hop. It'll take much more than this to "Bring The West Back." If your going to raise the bar, raise the bar.
I guess I always wanted Thunderbolts to come out of the speakers when I listened to Detox. Instead all I've gotten was a sparkler.  :-\

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:19:17 PM »
If Interscope/UMG pushes ANY Detox single (could be the most gangsta song of all time) as much as they pushed LTWYL or even Not Afraid, then you would see how this "must make a mainstream single to be successful" theory is thrown out the window. It doesn't matter what the song is, as long as it gets a ridiculous backing, it'll be mad successful. I know a lot of people won't buy that, but it's the truth. Of course it has to be at least somewhat decent if it's a rap song, but thats the way it is. Kush didn't recieve nearly what it should have (maybe because it wasn't supposed to come out anyways) and therefore was considered at least a semi-flop. That theory of "make good music and it will do good" is so far from the truth, sadly. And now watch, I Need A Doctor will get a HUGE push from Interscope/UMG and will blow. I strongly believe they could have (and should have) done that with Kush, but didn't feel it was the "right" single.

I know it isn't 2003 and 2005 anymore, but look at In Da Club & How We Do. Both songs were complete gangsta rap songs, had tons of cussing and other non-radio themes, and yet, both were HUGE. That'll happen when your label (and more importantly, the higher label) fully backs a project.
Sorry but what the fuck is a PUSH exactly? The labels have the same investment in say, "Kush", as they do "Love the Way You Lie". I'd argue you even more so since Detox is the most important project Interscope has going and a lot is riding on it. If all it took was the "right push", Interscope would stay doing that with everything they fucking put out. The fact is they gage all that on the audience's response to the records. It's not nearly as complicated as these theories you all keep throwing out. I'm a big believer in the idea that NOBODY knows what a hit record is when it comes to just listening to it. However once it's been put out to the public, it's very clear what a hit record is. And I'll tell you this for certain... them guys over there at Interscope would do whatever it takes to keep the value of that Detox project as high as possible. If they had to spend a few more pennies to make Kush the hottest thing on the streets, they'd do it. However, they're not gonna lose money pushing a record that's hit its mark already.