Author Topic: Nobody finds it a little amusing...  (Read 1476 times)

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nobody finds it a little amusing...
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:16 PM »
Like i said before, and keep fucking saying

All Dre needs is a "How We Do" "In The Club" "Family Affair" "Still DRE" "Next Episode" club beat that blows everyones mind to get back on top. No selling out there - and times haven't changed that much. I guarantee if any of the above songs came out today - shit would still be epic
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
that in most threads that get created in this section, somebody mentions that "The West is dead", "The West doesn't sell", "Somebody needs to put the West back on the map" & then when Dr. Dre releases a single that still may not, but is without doubt going to the right direction to do so & everybody is against it?

I think basically where I am going with this is, alright. You're all dying for West Coast Hip Hop to be relevant again, so what exactly do you want released to do so? Like what would your dream song be that would realistically do great on the charts & still have that classic West Coast feel to it? Let's be honest, "Kush" was West Coast & it did alright. I mean, I'm not complaining about it's numbers, but didn't come close to the Top 25, if I'm not mistaken. So that's a pretty good attempt at a mainstream, but yet a West Coast feel to a song & it didn't work out at all as far as "bringing the West back".

So you tell me, if you want the Coast to be "back on the map", yet you're going to basically make ten threads about boycotting the one single that could very well do just that; what exactly would you accept? & I mean something that will realistically work. Not some West Coast junkie dream.

your right man... a lot of these posts at the forum piss me off.  Because Dre is about to bring the West Coast back once again, and all these people want to do is sit around and bitch and complain.  "Kush" was a bangin track, period.  We can sit around and bitch that it isn't at the level of "Nuttin But A G Thang" or "Still Dre", but it's still a damn good record, and it still feels damn good to see Dre and Snoop together again leading the way for rap music once more, and hopefully bringing the West Coast back into the spotlight.  

These people at the forum are either too young, or they have short memories.  Because around 1998 the West Coast was also in decline in comparison to other regions, and when Dre released his album in Fall of 1999 suddenly the lights came on in the West, and the quality of hip-hop music was better all over the world with Dre back front and center.   Even the tracks/beats that Dre was making during that era that didn't make Dre's album, many of them ended up being used on other artists albums like Snoop's Top Dogg and Last Meal album, Eminem's MMLP, or Xzibit's Restless LP, or Knoc, or Eve, Mary J., or even Ice Cube's Peace Disc (like "HELLO" for example).   Then Snoop suddenly found himself again and even when he wasn't working with Dre he was still putting out quality projects like the Eastsidaz album for example, or take an artist like Xzibit were able to ride Dre and Snoop's coattails to achieve the success we had all felt they'd deserved;...

So Dre is about to do us all a huge favor, and do hip-hop a huge favor and it's not the first time.  This forum consists of Dre's biggest fans, and maybe they are self-conscious about being viewed as a fanatic or being a called a "dickrider" or they are out to prove that they are some purist underground heads or some shit like that and they think dissing a mainstream artist like Dre will make them appear to be more knowledgeable... whatever it is... I think it's bullshit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:23:51 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:54 PM »
that in most threads that get created in this section, somebody mentions that "The West is dead", "The West doesn't sell", "Somebody needs to put the West back on the map" & then when Dr. Dre releases a single that still may not, but is without doubt going to the right direction to do so & everybody is against it?

I think basically where I am going with this is, alright. You're all dying for West Coast Hip Hop to be relevant again, so what exactly do you want released to do so? Like what would your dream song be that would realistically do great on the charts & still have that classic West Coast feel to it? Let's be honest, "Kush" was West Coast & it did alright. I mean, I'm not complaining about it's numbers, but didn't come close to the Top 25, if I'm not mistaken. So that's a pretty good attempt at a mainstream, but yet a West Coast feel to a song & it didn't work out at all as far as "bringing the West back".

So you tell me, if you want the Coast to be "back on the map", yet you're going to basically make ten threads about boycotting the one single that could very well do just that; what exactly would you accept? & I mean something that will realistically work. Not some West Coast junkie dream.

your right man... a lot of these posts at the forum piss me off.  Because Dre is about to bring the West Coast back once again, and all these people want to do is sit around and bitch and complain.  "Kush" was a bangin track, period.  We can sit around and bitch that it isn't at the level of "Nuttin But A G Thang" or "Still Dre", but it's still a damn good record, and it still feels damn good to see Dre and Snoop together again leading the way for rap music once more, and hopefully bringing the West Coast back into the spotlight.  

These people at the forum are either too young, or they have short memories.  Because around 1998 the West Coast was also in decline in comparison to other regions, and when Dre released his album in Fall of 1999 suddenly the lights came on in the West, and the quality of hip-hop music was better all over the world with Dre back front and center.   Even the tracks/beats that Dre was making during that era that didn't make Dre's album, many of them ended up being used on other artists albums like Snoop's Top Dogg and Last Meal album, Eminem's MMLP, or Xzibit's Restless LP, or Knoc, or Eve, Mary J., or even Ice Cube's Peace Disc (like "HELLO" for example).   Then Snoop suddenly found himself again and even when he wasn't working with Dre he was still putting out quality projects like the Eastsidaz album for example, or take an artist like Xzibit were able to ride Dre and Snoop's coattails to achieve the success we had all felt they'd deserved;...

So Dre is about to do us all a huge favor, and do hip-hop a huge favor and it's not the first time.  This forum consists of Dre's biggest fans, and maybe they are self-conscious about being viewed as a fanatic or being a called a "dickrider" or they are out to prove that they are some purist underground heads or some shit like that and they think dissing a mainstream artist like Dre will make them appear to be more knowledgeable... whatever it is... I think it's bullshit.

Truthfully I could give a fuck whether Dre brings the west back or not. All I want from this is a dope album. I'll take that anyday over a weak album that puts the west back on the map.

Dre has to want that too. He wants the album to sell, but at the same time I'm also sure he wants it to be well-received. Even if it sells 4 million copies, it will still be considered a failure if it gets bad or even average reviews.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:27:59 PM by THE RAPTURE »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 01:39:04 AM »
If Interscope/UMG pushes ANY Detox single (could be the most gangsta song of all time) as much as they pushed LTWYL or even Not Afraid, then you would see how this "must make a mainstream single to be successful" theory is thrown out the window. It doesn't matter what the song is, as long as it gets a ridiculous backing, it'll be mad successful. I know a lot of people won't buy that, but it's the truth. Of course it has to be at least somewhat decent if it's a rap song, but thats the way it is. Kush didn't recieve nearly what it should have (maybe because it wasn't supposed to come out anyways) and therefore was considered at least a semi-flop. That theory of "make good music and it will do good" is so far from the truth, sadly. And now watch, I Need A Doctor will get a HUGE push from Interscope/UMG and will blow. I strongly believe they could have (and should have) done that with Kush, but didn't feel it was the "right" single.

I know it isn't 2003 and 2005 anymore, but look at In Da Club & How We Do. Both songs were complete gangsta rap songs, had tons of cussing and other non-radio themes, and yet, both were HUGE. That'll happen when your label (and more importantly, the higher label) fully backs a project.
Kush was promoted a lot.

Half of the people here don't know if they want G-Funk or not, want west coast rappers to do movies or not, want them to sign with other people outside of the west or not, or can't decide if Dre and DPGC fell off or still make dope music or not. Half support Game, half don't, half hate 40 Glocc, half love him, hardly anyone checks for the underground, where the REAL talent is at and has been for years on the west so to answer your question I am not amused or find it funny at all. Sounds spot on people want to boycott a Dre single.
yeah, like i said in the other topic, if Dre produced his own single, it would have been shitted on by some too.

with that said, i think it's a shame that Dre didn't produce the two singles

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »
You know what just hit me? He didn't write the lyrics or produce the beat for either song. What a talentless fuck. :P

da chronic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
You know what just hit me? He didn't write the lyrics or produce the beat for either song. What a talentless fuck. :P

Yeah but still, you know dre did "produce" the tracks at the end, in the sense of putting it all together like a director.
I dont think khalil and snoop could have made kush for example.
Like Storch and jayz would never drop a "still dre".
Unfortunatly, we'll never know the details of how these projects come to life. But dre is definitly doing his thing.

The D.O.C and

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »

Yeah but still, you know dre did "produce" the tracks at the end, in the sense of putting it all together like a director.
I dont think khalil and snoop could have made kush for example.
Like Storch and jayz would never drop a "still dre".
Unfortunatly, we'll never know the details of how these projects come to life. But dre is definitly doing his thing.

Dre mixed those tracks. He didn't "produce" them in the way usually does (ie: "putting them together"). Storch didn't produce Still D.R.E., Dre produced Still D.R.E. - Storch came up with the plingpling keyboard melody, cause that's what he does: he's the piano man. Dre & Mel Man (?) did the rest. Musicians play the instruments and get writing credits most of the time cause they come up with the melody (the producer may tell me what they should be going for). So why should Khalil not be able to come up with "Kush"? His keyboard player Danny Keyz came up with the piano loop, Khalil put the small stuff like the tubas and bass over his drums and Snoop, Akon, Slim da Mobster and the other dudes on the vocals wrote the lyrics according to Dre. It's not that hard to reverse-engineer the credits to know who did what.

Besides, it's not even fair to compare ANY "single" coming out today to singles coming out in the 90s or early 00s. Today, all they throw out there are songs to test/create buzz - the street-single formula. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if Kush & I need a doctor didn't even end up on the album. Maybe as "bonus tracks" like "Crack a bottle" ended up at the end of Relapse.

Most people are just mad and have become cynical because they love(d) Dre's old stuff so much and it is taking so long to come out. Add that to the usual internet negativity coupled with an unhealthy dose of pessismism created by the declining overall quality of "popular" rap music and you get all this hating on here or everywhere else.

Paul

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:02 AM »
IMO this is some of the best music coming out of California in 10 years. Schoolboy q, murs, kendrick Lamar, blu, fashawn, Zion I .....

I can't remember the last time I looked at a chart tho
funkyfreshintheflesh

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 06:24:07 AM »
This conversation has been had a thousand times before, but fuck it. Producing in hip-hop is NOT the same as producing in almost every other genre. People generally credit the beatmaker with the production credits, when in most other genres its the person who guided the artist/band through the album/song creation and assisted them in what to play and how to play it. Similar to a director in movies, but obviously not that major of a role. In hip hop, there can be producers, but a beatmaker is different. The beatmaker makes the beat, the producer does the above. Now on his past 2 albums, Dre did both, he made beats (with others) and acted as the producer on the album, which really is a big deal. NOW however, he acts as the producer, but NOT the beatmaker (not even additional production, just the mixer) on his past two DETOX singles. He still basically "made" the entire track and put it together without writing anything or making any beats. That's a producer.

The Documentary - Dre as the executive producer = Dre overlooked and basically arranged Game's album, which is why it's a classic IMO. Same with GRODT, with Dre & Em. Sometimes, even in rap, the producer doesn't have to "executive produce" the whole album, but rather a single or multiple tracks. Example for that being "The Ocean" or "Soft Rhodes" on Game's last mixape.

FYI when you can make the beat (and with the help of others, telling them what to play), mix the track, and arrange/produce the whole thing to your liking . . . that's a fuckin artist, and that's what Dre has been known for since the early 90's. The only thing missing on his half is the ability to write, although i'm sure he can write a decent verse, being around the rap game for near 30 years. And for that reason, my mind is blown away as to the decision to not have Dre production on the biggest rap album of all time - his own album.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:28:21 AM by TDOT »

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
I think everybody is just fiendin for a DOPE ass song with endless replay value like Dre's first 2 albums has.

Quality! Who puts out quality? I mean really crazy dope music which is not just good underground shit or dope enough mixtape joints..

Everything seems mediocre as shit..

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 06:39:54 AM »
Who gives a fuck about sales, people only bring up sales to belittle an artist they don't like or dick suck one they do. No one really gives a fuck about them but a minority of super stans.

This most recent single is only selling because it's an Eminem track. Way to go Dre.

Anunikke

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
The West isn't dead, Just the scene affiliated with NWA/Deathrow.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
This conversation has been had a thousand times before, but fuck it. Producing in hip-hop is NOT the same as producing in almost every other genre. People generally credit the beatmaker with the production credits, when in most other genres its the person who guided the artist/band through the album/song creation and assisted them in what to play and how to play it. Similar to a director in movies, but obviously not that major of a role. In hip hop, there can be producers, but a beatmaker is different. The beatmaker makes the beat, the producer does the above. Now on his past 2 albums, Dre did both, he made beats (with others) and acted as the producer on the album, which really is a big deal. NOW however, he acts as the producer, but NOT the beatmaker (not even additional production, just the mixer) on his past two DETOX singles. He still basically "made" the entire track and put it together without writing anything or making any beats. That's a producer.

The Documentary - Dre as the executive producer = Dre overlooked and basically arranged Game's album, which is why it's a classic IMO. Same with GRODT, with Dre & Em. Sometimes, even in rap, the producer doesn't have to "executive produce" the whole album, but rather a single or multiple tracks. Example for that being "The Ocean" or "Soft Rhodes" on Game's last mixape.

FYI when you can make the beat (and with the help of others, telling them what to play), mix the track, and arrange/produce the whole thing to your liking . . . that's a fuckin artist, and that's what Dre has been known for since the early 90's. The only thing missing on his half is the ability to write, although i'm sure he can write a decent verse, being around the rap game for near 30 years. And for that reason, my mind is blown away as to the decision to not have Dre production on the biggest rap album of all time - his own album.

good post.
as far as producing Kush & the other single is concerned: he had a hand in the making of these songs, but i think you can't say he played the role of the main producer.

snoop

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:23 AM »
I think Kush and INAD are both hype tracks that aren't on the album, and we will soon hear rumors about and a release date for the first official single for Detox, produced by Dr. Dre.

Matty

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »
not that amusing.