Author Topic: Nobody finds it a little amusing...  (Read 1480 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Nobody finds it a little amusing...
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
Alright, since I ruffled a few feathers and got some people giddy, time to respond to everyone. Disclaimer: I am NOT taking into consideration Dubcc into this. I'm looking at a broader view than just this board.

bullshit. Dre's new single is #1, not big enough for you?

those two leaked songs were spread fast on the internet, as they were tagged with Detox. but how do you know that these are certified hits? i'm not an expert myself, but when i look at Kush, i doubt that Topless & Shit popped off would do much better ( let alone top I need a doctor :P).

these two leaks got better feedback on dubcc than Dre's newest single. while there are a lot of dre fans on this forum, i doubt that the majority pays for digital downloads.

Eminem could release a track of him taking a shit at a restaurant and it'd be #1 on iTunes.

As far as the leaks go, "Shit Popped Off" would have been a hit. It was used in the Dr. Pepper commercial so the mainstream had an idea about the track. Had it dropped then, it'd have been a hit. Unfortunately Amerie dropped a track with the same sample and killed that idea. T.I. had bigger drawing power when that song leaked (not saying he doesn't now, but his name pulled more casual fans then than he does now). With "Topless", more hip-hop heads would be checking for it because of Nas.

On what basis are you drawing that either one of those tracks was more well-received? I know on West Coast forums, those were the two least-panned Detox leaks but that doesn’t really say anything in regards to the bigger picture.

See above.

Truth be told, they were two of my favorites but I don’t see either one as being “better” than I Need A Doctor. Just more of what you’d expect the typical Dr. Dre record to sound like. I don’t think that makes them better records, I just think they have a sound that better caters to G-Funk fans.

As I've said in this thread, if you're going with a lead single from you're album, don't you think you should lead with a track that either has equal amount of verses (like Kush) or a song where the featured artist only has one verse? This song sounds like something that would appear on an Eminem album. I frankly won't get into the specifics of an Eminem production because I don't want to a) bore myself to sleep mid-post and b) get off topic about the song. But this track point-blank should have been a single for the last Eminem album rather than the first single for Detox. This song should have been the last single off his last album, and have it build that buzz for the first Dre single, which would carry the theme over to Detox.

That song was found as a result of people buying the album based off of "How We Do".

Flat out wrong with that statement. As someone mentioned, it was not only the street single but was getting tons of spins. Hell, Snoop jumped on the song so he could hop aboard the bandwagon.

"Westside Story" was well known before "How We Do" dropped.

Yeah, maybe by people who pay attention to music closely. I think that's where people get it twisted. They view boards like this & assume everybody who listens to rap plays as close attention as we do. Facebook & Twitter have gotten absurdly popular in the last 3-4 years & now people like us just post things to inform people that artists have dropped new matieral.

But back when this album came out, that communication wasn't as big. If people got lucky enough to hear it on the radio, then I guess, but it wasn't played that much on the radio. I didn't even know who Game was until I heard "How We Do" on the radio. I didn't search around the internet for music at the time. Honestly, I remember when I heard it. I turned the radio on during 50's verse & I thought it was a new 50 song lol. That's how the average fan finds out about things, if it's played on the radio.

All I'm saying is, if there was a poll outside of this hardcore rap forum & posted it on like MTV.com & asked; "What was the first Game song you heard? "How We Do", "Hate It or Love It" or "Westside Story"? 90% of the votes would be a combination of "How We Do" & "Hate It or Love It".

To quote Charlie Murphy, "Wrong, WRONG". You're pretending the internet didn't exist back in the prehistoric times of 2004. That song was officially released in September '04. It leaked around the end of August because that's when I started hearing it at Bars and Clubs in the Boston area. On top of that it was played enough on radio stations that it charted. It was a street single, no video was supposed to be made for the track and its purpose was to build a buzz for the album. Obviously it worked since it was all over the radio.

Okka

« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:21 AM »
Eminem got two verses on this track because he sells records and Dre ain't that popular anymore so they need to make sure "Detox" won't flop.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2011, 09:54:42 AM »
Do any of you guys realize how mainstream Forgot about Dre sounds?

Just sayin.

Of course they do. What they aren't understanding is that mainstream music in 1999 is basically what's underground in 2011 lol.

WCoastTillIDie

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »

Just sayin.

Of course they do. What they aren't understanding is that mainstream music in 1999 is basically what's underground in 2011 lol.

Agreed, and personally, I think it's a good song.  Doesn't have to be a westcoast song, why can't it just be good music?  Whatever happened to that?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
Alright, since I ruffled a few feathers and got some people giddy, time to respond to everyone. Disclaimer: I am NOT taking into consideration Dubcc into this. I'm looking at a broader view than just this board.

bullshit. Dre's new single is #1, not big enough for you?

those two leaked songs were spread fast on the internet, as they were tagged with Detox. but how do you know that these are certified hits? i'm not an expert myself, but when i look at Kush, i doubt that Topless & Shit popped off would do much better ( let alone top I need a doctor :P).

these two leaks got better feedback on dubcc than Dre's newest single. while there are a lot of dre fans on this forum, i doubt that the majority pays for digital downloads.

Eminem could release a track of him taking a shit at a restaurant and it'd be #1 on iTunes.

As far as the leaks go, "Shit Popped Off" would have been a hit. It was used in the Dr. Pepper commercial so the mainstream had an idea about the track. Had it dropped then, it'd have been a hit. Unfortunately Amerie dropped a track with the same sample and killed that idea. T.I. had bigger drawing power when that song leaked (not saying he doesn't now, but his name pulled more casual fans then than he does now). With "Topless", more hip-hop heads would be checking for it because of Nas.

so i take it that you agree that the statement about topless & shit popped off having a bigger buzz than Dre's latest single, is silly?

you can't say for certain that Shit popped off would have been a hit.

maybe more 'hip hop heads' would be checking for Topless because of the Nas feature, but would it lead to a hit?
again, you can't say for certain.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Eminem got two verses on this track because he sells records and Dre ain't that popular anymore so they need to make sure "Detox" won't flop.

I understand that, I understand how it "had" to be a gay pop record, and all that bullshit to "sell records" (although I still don't agree with that). . . but what still COMPLETELY boggles my mind is the whole instrumental end of this. The best producer in the game is not producing on the most anticipated hip-hop album of all time, his own album (at least the singles so far). That to me is really the main problem here. I don't care how soft and poppy the record would be, at least come full circle and produce the fuckin thing yourself, since you know . . . you are Dr. Dre, aren't you?

In the end, you can say it's trash and for kids and this and that, but I think what most are really pissed about in the end is the above.

Also, I had another question for all you: Let's say, Detox does fuckin amazing numbers, is killing the radio and smashes the charts in half . . . then what? Don't you think it's piggy-back time for everyone on Aftermath/Shady/or anyone even affiliated with them (Interscope)? And what about Dre, would he really stick to the fact that this is the end all be all? I mean, if this kills everything as much as it should, wouldn't it be at least somewhat smart to follow it up as much as you can (Another ten year wait)? In the end I think it'll do pretty good (I actually have no clue on how good it'll do to be honest, I guess that all depends on how the singles do, which looks good so far with INAD) and I think they'll try to put out the Slaughterhouse album, another Em album, and maybe something else. I really don't see this being the HUGE opening that everyone once thought it would be. I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think they will feed off of this properly (once again, that all depends on how Detox does, which at one point looked like it was going Diamond in a week, now not so much).

And then there's the West . . . what will happen with the West once Detox is all said and done? Even hip-hop as a whole, what about the entire genre? Maybe i'm digging too deep into this, but if Detox is really the album they've been talking about for the past 10 years, then I am almost as interested in what happens AFTER the album than the actual album itself. I'm actually kind of sick of the speculation and just wanna see this shit unfold. I guess it all pretty much starts on the night of the Grammy's.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »

Just sayin.

Agreed, and personally, I think it's a good song.  Doesn't have to be a westcoast song, why can't it just be good music?  Whatever happened to that?

Ahhhh, finally. The voice of reason. 8)