Author Topic: Nottz Talks Detox  (Read 1428 times)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Nottz Talks Detox
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:37:48 PM »
""When [Dr. Dre] first started talking about Detox, I had the first joint on that album. Now, I have the first joint on this [latest working version] of the album," said Nottz, referring to Dre's work in the early '00s as well as more recent creations. "The first song, Game did a verse to it, and Dre was on it; they rapped on the intro of the album," he revealed. "I never heard it, but Dre and them told me about it, that it was hot. Just Blaze told me that he heard the joint [and thought] it was crazy [also]."

Although Nottz did not indicate which songs, that initial early '00s Detox production would later be used by two then-Aftermath Entertainment artists. "I had did two versions to the track," Nottz said, before Busta Rhymes and Stat Quo both recorded to the song.

As far as the title of the early incarnation of Detox, Nottz also revealed that Dre and Game were going to kick the album off with a song title "As God As Might Witness," he said, before hesitating "or something like that."

Nottz, who on several occasions flew to California to work in Dr. Dre's recording studio compound, has watched Detox  shift in sound and focus. On his first encounter with Dr. Dre, Nottz said that the N.W.A. alum played him 40 beats, all rooted in the sound employed on his 1992 solo debut The Chronic. Noting that Dre's production team, which once included Scott Storch, Mike Elizondo and Mel-Man, now includes Dewaun Parker, Che Vicious and others has changed, Nottz revealed that a more recent sampling of Detox sounds was built upon "30 east coast tracks." Nottz, who has worked with some of New York Hip Hop's biggest names said, "It threw me off, 'cause it was all east coast records. Then he scrapped all of them, threw them out." Despite the change of sonic climate, Nottz rests assured, "I think he kept like two of my joints." The producer is also under the impression that both Jake One and DJ Khalil have confirmed placements on the album, expected to release this year.

Then again, Nottz can only be so sure. As this Detox album has changed and evolved throughout the last decade, Conspiracy Worldwide's host, Mista Montana, asked Nottz how certain he was that he still had that Detox intro, the veteran confirmed, "We got checks cut, but you know, records don't make albums."

"

Caught that summary on hiphopdx. Interesting that he went with the Chronic route for one incarnation, would love to hear the east coast version, I could imagine Dre making some real dark grimey shit, more beats like "Death To My Enemies" maybe.

That beat at the end of the D12 In Da Club Freestyle is dope, I like the guitar in it

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
I'm curious as to which Busta song he's talking about. I checked the tracks Nottz did for Busta and nothing is before 2001, so it would be impossible for Game to be on the intro track from then. SO, this was actually NOT the original Detox, and in fact a much later Detox (probably '04 or '05 considering the involvment of Game, Stat & Busta).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:57:09 PM by TDOT »

TRG

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 09:06:32 PM »
Some cool information there. Props to Nottz.

But can we get a Dre beat?

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
The interviewer: So it sounds like Dre is handing all the production over to the new great producers in the game, which is a major part.

Nottz: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The interviewer: That's very good, very good!

Lol, I bet that turned a lot of heads here.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:32 AM »

I hope so

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »
Makes ME wonder if these "productions" are even being touched by Dre at all . . . is he producing anything on Detox?

It's actually starting to make sense now. I think out of EVERY single leak we've heard from Detox, Under Pressure was the only Dre-produced track.

Under Pressure wasnt by Dre, Scott Storch produced it
Dr.Dre & Scott did it together if i'm not mistaken.

Makes ME wonder if these "productions" are even being touched by Dre at all . . . is he producing anything on Detox?

It's actually starting to make sense now. I think out of EVERY single leak we've heard from Detox, Under Pressure was the only Dre-produced track.

Under Pressure wasnt by Dre, Scott Storch produced it

Really?? I really don't know what the fuck to think of Detox now, I mean, up until INAD I was under the impression is would be entirely Dre-produced, because really, isn't that the point?

my guess is, he's just a performer & mixed everything :-\

And to the guys above, I think the number for Detox songs was around 4000 since the start, and almost double that in instrumentals. I'm most interested in that 02-04 era, where Dre's single was going to be In Da Club.
In da club for Detox? i only know that D12 got the beat before 50

I remember reading it in The Source or XXL, they had a special on Dre/Detox. Or maybe it was Scratch Magazine? Anyways, I think it was Storch who said it, or just the guy who wrote the article, but apparently In Da Club was Dre's first single for Detox in '02. There should be scans of it somewhere on here.
perhaps i should check that scratch article again, it's in the topic listed in my signature.

I hope so
give him a cheque, and he might say yes.

Okka

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »
Thanks. I'ma check this out.

And to the guys above, I think the number for Detox songs was around 4000 since the start, and almost double that in instrumentals. I'm most interested in that 02-04 era, where Dre's single was going to be In Da Club.

It was supposed to be Dre's first single for "Detox" at some point, then D-12 was goin' to use it but they didn't and it ended up being 50's first single.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 02:08:52 AM »

It was supposed to be Dre's first single for "Detox" at some point, then D-12 was goin' to use it but they didn't and it ended up being 50's first single.
do you remember where you got that from?

Okka

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:21 AM »

I think i read that from The Source or some other Hip Hop magazine. Actually i'm not sure if it was supposed to be the first single of "Detox", but i'm almost 100% sure that Dre was supposed to use it.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:36 AM »

I think i read that from The Source or some other Hip Hop magazine. Actually i'm not sure if it was supposed to be the first single of "Detox", but i'm almost 100% sure that Dre was supposed to use it.
ok thanks.

it's not this one, is it:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:48:04 AM by From Dre-Day to Nate Day »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 06:59:06 AM »
What is the Detox sound? Uh - I can't say. I'll let that be a surprise.

And boy were we surprised.