Author Topic: Superbowl XLV sets new American viewing record  (Read 547 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Superbowl XLV sets new American viewing record
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »
An estimated 111,000,000 viewers. Crazy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6098480

What I've never understood is....when the Nielsen ratings show that 111 million people watched the superbowl, how are they able to account for the fact that most people dont watch it alone. There are Superbowl partiest everywhere. Sometimes 10....15...20...30 people, etc all watching together.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Superbowl XLV sets new American viewing record
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »
They probably figure out the average amount of people that watch the game per TV Set. 

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »
They probably figure out the average amount of people that watch the game per TV Set. 

how?
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »

how?

It's all based on the same thing polls are based on. Only so many people have Nielsen boxes and they each represents demographics in each area. In the end it's just a guess based on some math and stats. No one can say for sure what the real number was. But I think we can all agree that it would have been over 500 million in the US alone if Brady was playing it this year. 200 million people would have legally immigrated just to tune into him on US soil.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »

how?

It's all based on the same thing polls are based on. Only so many people have Nielsen boxes and they each represents demographics in each area. In the end it's just a guess based on some math and stats. No one can say for sure what the real number was. But I think we can all agree that it would have been over 500 million in the US alone if Brady was playing it this year. 200 million people would have legally immigrated just to tune into him on US soil.

I know how only so many people have Nielsen boxes. What Im saying is, how are they able to determine how many people are watching per house? Some people watch by themselves...while others have 20 people over.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
That game deserved the ratings.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »

how?

I know how only so many people have Nielsen boxes. What Im saying is, how are they able to determine how many people are watching per house? Some people watch by themselves...while others have 20 people over.

They probably base it on the Nielsen houses that night that weren't even on and said this many people must be at other people's houses. Maybe call a few box holders. Shit like that. It's really a joke if you see the whole thing broken down, but it's the only way Networks have to raise the price of commercials.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
The people that are randomly selected to be part of the Nielsen thing have to send in reports on what they watched.  I assume for the Super Bowl, they have say how many people will be watching it or watched it in their home.  Get an average, and blow it up nationwide.

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 10:18:46 AM »
The people that are randomly selected to be part of the Nielsen thing have to send in reports on what they watched.  I assume for the Super Bowl, they have say how many people will be watching it or watched it in their home.  Get an average, and blow it up nationwide.

Just sounds SO inaccurate. The numbers could easily be off by a few million lol. With people watching at others houses, people at sports bars, etc.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »

Just sounds SO inaccurate. The numbers could easily be off by a few million lol. With people watching at others houses, people at sports bars, etc.

Could be off by more than a few, but that's the best system they got right now and it decides how the money goes, so whatever.

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Up in Yo bitch iz where you might find me!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:06:49 AM »
Superbowl is like thanksgiving and xmas, there isnt much else to do at that time unless you're working so everyone is attending some superbowl party.  But the thing is only like 10% of the party is actually watching the game, most other people are just drinking, eating and chit chatting. 

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
Superbowl is like thanksgiving and xmas, there isnt much else to do at that time unless you're working so everyone is attending some superbowl party.  But the thing is only like 10% of the party is actually watching the game, most other people are just drinking, eating and chit chatting.  

lol It reminds me of Cinco De Mayo. Hardly any Mexicans I know even really celebrate that shit. But Americans fuckin LOVE it lol. Its just an excuse to get wasted. Or St Patricks day. All of a sudden everyone is Irish.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:46 AM »
thats actually surprising. i could see if a NY team, or patriots, or dallas. (i even get it with steelers) but still.
my question is, in the last 5 years, has viewership perpetually went up? that would make the most sense to me

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 10:47:38 AM »
thats actually surprising. i could see if a NY team, or patriots, or dallas. (i even get it with steelers) but still.
my question is, in the last 5 years, has viewership perpetually went up? that would make the most sense to me

There's a new record every few years because of the addition of more households and more people. Just like more people, and more theatres mean new opening day records for movies. I'll guarantee it gets broken again before SB50, and then SB50 will obviously break it no matter who is playing in it.

Though we all know that the ultimate SB50 would be a a Giants/Colts Manning bowl with Peyton retiring after the win. The story of the brothers mixed in with the story of the NFL Championship of 1958, mixed in with Peyton declaring at the beginning of the season that it'll be his final year. If that game went into OT I'd imagine they'd have over 200 million in the US alone for that OT.

IRAN iz Gangsta!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Up in Yo bitch iz where you might find me!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »

no man like i said they realize everyone is at some superbowl party so they might as well say 200 million...what else do people do that day? its not a hard statistic to come up with