Author Topic: D.O.C. Planning Tell-All Documentary On N.W.A, Dr. Dre  (Read 570 times)

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
D.O.C. Planning Tell-All Documentary On N.W.A, Dr. Dre
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:58:09 AM »
http://allhiphop.com/stories/news/archive/2011/02/10/22581311.aspx

(AllHipHop News) Legendary West coast rapper The D.O.C. is planning to release a new documentary that will detail his career, as well as the rise and fall of Ruthless Records, from an insiders point of view.

The D.O.C. was one of the founding members of the original N.W.A. Collective (N.W.A. And the Posse), who stayed behind the scenes as a writer during Ruthless Records' early years.

D.O.C, born Tracy Wright, eventually released his own album No One Can Do It Better, a certified Hip-Hop classic produced by Dr. Dre, via Eazy-E's Ruthless Records imprint.

A terrible car accident in 1989, crushed The D.O.C.'s windpipe which ruined his unique voice, effectively ending his rap career. The rapper stayed with Dr. Dre throughout his tenure at Death Row, ghostwriting on albums like Eazy Duz It, Straight Outta Compton, Efil4Zaggin, 100 Miles and Runnin', The Chronic and others.

In a lengthy interview with HipHopDX.com, The D.O.C. revealed that his untitled documentary is in the works.

"The documentary is a journey over these past 20 years," The D.O.C. explained. "I’m going to let you guys see all the drama, all the bulls**t, from the inside. I’ma give you an interesting story, that nobody knows about."

If fans don't remember D.O.C. as an official member of N.W.A., the legendary rapper explained the reason during the interview with HipHopDx. According to D.O.C., most of the group kept him out of the spotlight, because he was ghostwriting their material.

"Whenever these guys did interviews, whenever they took pictures, whenever they did videos, they went out of they way not to let me in ‘em," D.O.C. revealed. "If you go back you’ll never see me in none of ‘em. They wouldn’t let me in ‘em. They didn’t want me there, I think because they didn’t want muthafu**as to know that they wasn’t writing they own s**t. If you go back to they old interviews, [when] the interviewers would ask them muthaf**kas questions they would look f**kin’ dumbfounded. Because, the questions that they were asking the muthaf**kas was about lyrics that I wrote for ‘em. Only Cube really understood I think what the aim was. Dre did sonically. But Cube understood what we was trying to aim for. That’s why his subsequent albums were in that same vein."

D.O.C said that the documentary, which will also showcase his quest to get his voice box repaired, won't tear down the amazing legacy of Eazy-E or Dr. Dre.

"For me, it’s not really about the negative aspects of the story," D.O.C. said. "What happened to me, you know, boo hoo, that was for Doc [to go through]. I just think the story is really neat. I think it makes a really cool story. [But] if you’re gonna tell it, tell that b**ch right."

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: D.O.C. Planning Tell-All Documentary On N.W.A, Dr. Dre
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
sounds like someone's mad all of a sudden

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
This is gonna be interesting. The D.O.C. has been wanting to tell his story for some time now. It was his vision and at times it was even Dr. Dre's vision also. He's been wanting to do this stuff. He just wanted to do it right and do it big.

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »

yea id be pretty mad if someone thats supposed to be like ur brother treat u like their distant cousin or something d.o.c. should shit on the whole dre camp & get his money finally cause dre been shittin on him quietly his whole career....

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
this plan is over 7 years old though.

lol at the ghost writing comment, MC Ren & Ice Cube were writing their own verses.

yea id be pretty mad if someone thats supposed to be like ur brother treat u like their distant cousin or something d.o.c. should shit on the whole dre camp & get his money finally cause dre been shittin on him quietly his whole career....
well i think he should have continued the solo route after helter skelter.
he can only blame himself for not doing that

thegooddoc

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
There is no doubt at all that D.O.C. is a legend and made a classic solo album.  There is also no doubt that his lifestyle ruined his career just as it was getting started.  After all of the interviews that he has done in the past, you have to wonder if there is anything else to be told.  We already know that he thinks Eazy tried to rip everyone off.

We already know that he had some involvement with NWA back in the day, but besides co-writing a Dre or Eazy verse just how much did he do.  It was my understanding that Cube wrote most of Eazy's big songs (Boyz in the Hood, etc).  Eazy also went on to have plenty of success with Ruthless Records after DOC, Dre and Cube left the label.  Bone Thugs, 187um Killa, MC Ren, ATL, etc. So it was obvious that DOC wasn't an irreplaceable part of the label.

In regard to Ren, if DOC wrote for him, it wasn't evident, because personally I think "Kiss My Black Azz" was by far his best body of work and that was done after Dre and DOC had already left.  Also, Ren went on to release some pretty tight solo albums with Ruthless long after DOC left. 

Cube didn't need anybody's help to get where he got.  He did fine after he left NWA.

As far as Dre goes, we already know that those two had an on again off again relationship.  DOC wrote some of Dre's songs on the Chronic and also on Chronic 2001.

Will be interesting to see if there is anything else he can add.

Elkoizm

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »
Another NWA documentary?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
can't wait to see this !!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

NoobCake

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »

He won't get his money because nobody gives a shit about him at this point.  If this documentary will even be made (unlikely) it will a small independent production that won't make any money. 

West$ide Boi

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • 'Women, Weed & Weather'
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 06:06:20 AM »
looking forward to it

Heathen

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
would be great but we all know this is never coming out.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

He won't get his money because nobody gives a shit about him at this point.  If this documentary will even be made (unlikely) it will a small independent production that won't make any money. 
i'm sure he earned enough money over the years, but he was living wild

Desert Lord

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:20:29 AM »
i remember that he said he found a good voice therapist and his voice  could be repair to 70 %...any news on that?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:07:02 AM »
 8)
Always looking forward to anything associated w/ The D.O.C.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:02:08 PM »

Seriously? This dude is the luckiest motherfucker ever. Out of all of Dre's other associates, DOC seems to be the only one Dre has given a fuck about. He was living in Dre's house. The DOC walked out on him multiple times and Dre still let him come back. Who else can say that? Everyone else has to suck up to Dre but this is the one guy who can run his mouth off about Dre and still be cool with him. But now that Dre wont let him decide the direction of DRE's third album, he throws another tantrum. Again.  ::)