Author Topic: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)  (Read 2053 times)

Lunatic

Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
I know y'all probably thinking "not another thread" lol but I think this one will be unique and may create conversation

The topic of this thread, it does not matter whether we like these songs. My opinion, nor any of yours matters in that sense. I think one thing we can all agree on is "Kush" is Dre's attempt at "satisfying" his loyal fan base, those who loved "2001" and what has become what we know as west coast music. Again, whether or not you think its a good attempt doesn't matter; as long as you acknowledge that's an attempt.

"I Need a Doctor" is a typical 2011 single, flavor of the month beat and female chorus. This of course is the mainstream single. Again, whether or not you like the track doesn't matter, we can all acknowledge it's similar to a lot of recent hits by such artists as B.o.B., T.I., Eminem, Diddy, Lupe Fiasco and others (same producer, different catchy female hook).

Kush was released first and I Need A Doctor 2nd. I often see a trend here and wonder if you guys see the same thing. Artists who are used to and plan on selling records such as Dr. Dre (discredit underground artists) often follow this trend.

First single, ("street single") release something you believe your loyal fan base will love. Dr. Dre (and everyone involved) believe his loyal fan base will LOVE "Kush" and get super excited about his record; excited to the point where they're minds are made up that they're going to buy the album when it comes out, before being released. (Bare with me on this because Detox is such a highly anticipated album, many made up there mind 10 years ago they'd purchased it, but this example works for most mainstream artists and that specific point fits them more than it does Dr. Dre right now).

Second, you release the "official single" and its something that's a lot more radio friendly and mainstream (i.e. "i need a doctor"). This is too attract "fair weather" fans.

This way, on release of the "street single", it holds a similar sound to previous records which satisfied loyal fan bases. Loyal fan bases matter a lot more than "fair weather" fans because they're the group of fans that always purchase there favorite artists album. But "fair weather" fans help bring the album over the top. For a mainstream artist, in most cases, releasing singles that just satisfy your loyal fan bases won't propel your sales to new heights. You satisfy them first (Kush) to get them excited about your new album. Once they're on board, bring on the the 2nd single to attract new fans ("I need a doctor:). = they ALL buy your album, huge success.

But this trend happens with a lot of mainstream artists..Think Snoop Dogg releasing "Vato" first, T.I. releasing "No Matter What", Eminem releasing "Not Afraid", (all attempts at satisfying loyal fan bases before bringing on such singles as "Love the Way you Lie", "Whatever U Like", etc). There are millions of examples of this happening (loyal fan base single first, fair weather single second), but I just named a few.

Anyone else see it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:33:19 PM by Lunatic »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

KyleEshna

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:04 PM »
Isn't this common knowledge?

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
That's what I'm asking. I think it goes over a lot of people's heads.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

sofdark

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »
Luna, u ever gonna release that interview u have with Hittman? I don't even know why I'm asking this shit when he ain't never releasing shit..

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:08:56 AM »
Yes I would say it is. ! Redundant thread

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:25:20 AM »
Luna, I disagree with most of what your saying; because its based on the premise that "Kush" and "I Need A Dotor" are weak songs.

Dre made the most bangin tracks he could, and unless the album is classic and will be successful, Aftermath will not put their stamp on it.  So dont worry, the singles are dope, the album is dope... and like Chronic and 2001 before, we got Snoop on the first single, and like Dres second album we got Em on the second single...

So what is the problem?  What did you want Dre to do?

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:44 AM »
Yes I would say it is. ! Redundant thread
i disagree. it's accepted for posters to keep talking about their top 10 west coast albums over and over, so i don't see what's wrong with this analysis

I know y'all probably thinking "not another thread" lol but I think this one will be unique and may create conversation

The topic of this thread, it does not matter whether we like these songs. My opinion, nor any of yours matters in that sense. I think one thing we can all agree on is "Kush" is Dre's attempt at "satisfying" his loyal fan base, those who loved "2001" and what has become what we know as west coast music. Again, whether or not you think its a good attempt doesn't matter; as long as you acknowledge that's an attempt.

"I Need a Doctor" is a typical 2011 single, flavor of the month beat and female chorus. This of course is the mainstream single. Again, whether or not you like the track doesn't matter, we can all acknowledge it's similar to a lot of recent hits by such artists as B.o.B., T.I., Eminem, Diddy, Lupe Fiasco and others (same producer, different catchy female hook).

Kush was released first and I Need A Doctor 2nd. I often see a trend here and wonder if you guys see the same thing. Artists who are used to and plan on selling records such as Dr. Dre (discredit underground artists) often follow this trend.

First single, ("street single") release something you believe your loyal fan base will love. Dr. Dre (and everyone involved) believe his loyal fan base will LOVE "Kush" and get super excited about his record; excited to the point where they're minds are made up that they're going to buy the album when it comes out, before being released. (Bare with me on this because Detox is such a highly anticipated album, many made up there mind 10 years ago they'd purchased it, but this example works for most mainstream artists and that specific point fits them more than it does Dr. Dre right now).

Second, you release the "official single" and its something that's a lot more radio friendly and mainstream (i.e. "i need a doctor"). This is too attract "fair weather" fans.

This way, on release of the "street single", it holds a similar sound to previous records which satisfied loyal fan bases. Loyal fan bases matter a lot more than "fair weather" fans because they're the group of fans that always purchase there favorite artists album. But "fair weather" fans help bring the album over the top. For a mainstream artist, in most cases, releasing singles that just satisfy your loyal fan bases won't propel your sales to new heights. You satisfy them first (Kush) to get them excited about your new album. Once they're on board, bring on the the 2nd single to attract new fans ("I need a doctor:). = they ALL buy your album, huge success.

But this trend happens with a lot of mainstream artists..Think Snoop Dogg releasing "Vato" first, T.I. releasing "No Matter What", Eminem releasing "Not Afraid", (all attempts at satisfying loyal fan bases before bringing on such singles as "Love the Way you Lie", "Whatever U Like", etc). There are millions of examples of this happening (loyal fan base single first, fair weather single second), but I just named a few.

Anyone else see it?
i think you're on point.
but the loyal fans wanted a Dre produced single

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:45:48 AM »
i think you're on point.
but the loyal fans wanted a Dre produced single

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »
the whole thing is wack.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:55 AM »

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »
Other artists will learn from the failure that Detox will be.

Dre fucked himself by making the fans wait 10 years for an album. He's created so much anticipation and high expectation for the project than no song in hip hop history could justify as a single for the album.

Detox will come, and it will go - but I'm not expecting him to change the game again - his best days are behind him.
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
i think you're on point.
but the loyal fans wanted good music as singles rather than cynical attempts at appealing to specific sectors of the target demographic.

Fixed to represent my opinion.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »
Dre fucked himself by making the fans wait 10 years for an album.

Sorry but that's not right.

Quincy Jones just did his first original album in 15 years. No one's fucking anyone.

dameons

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:03 AM »
Last night was wasn't very satisfying ..Dude came out for 30 seconds and bounced .

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:53 AM »
there is a big diff. first of all, Quincy is Quincy. and Dre is Dre..
Quincy Jones did 15+ albums back to back, and then took a break.
Dre did 2 albums, wit a ~10-year pause between em