Author Topic: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)  (Read 2078 times)

Will_B

Re: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
u compared them.
Dre's career-break wit Quincy's career-break..

Actually no. I said gaps between studio albums. Not the same, and obviously not a career break for Dre. :)

a poster, said that Dre fucked over his fans, for waiting so long,
and then u jumped in and brought Q's name aong - and compared them..
do u want me to quote u?

No need. As you know I said 'Quincy Jones just did his first original album in 15 years. No one's fucking anyone.'

I din't say any more than that. :-*

Do you think Quincy stopped working in that 15 year gap? You said he deserved a break...

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
ur STILL goin back n forth wit this?  :o
is it important to u?

u compared Quincy Jones wit Dr Dre.
dude said Dre fucked his fans for waitin so long, n u brought up Q's name in comparison, wit the xample of his 15yr long-gap -
i said, "Q can do that, cuz Q is Q, while Dre can't", and then u started talkin about under-acchievement or somethin..

LYRIDER

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^ :o :o :o

~~~~~~~~~~ :o :o :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:19:25 AM by LYRIDER »

Will_B

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
Oh I said that did I? ;D

yes, if ur comapring Q's catalouge wit Dre's catalgoue, and their career-spans --
yes, André Young is most def an underacchiever.

I like it how you made that judgement based on Dre also not comparing to Quincy's career span.

Perhaps Dre needs a time machine to make up that extra 20+ years for you. :laugh:

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
Oh I said that did I? ;D

yes, if ur comapring Q's catalouge wit Dre's catalgoue, and their career-spans --

I like it how you made that judgement based on Dre also not comparing to Quincy's career span.

Perhaps Dre needs a time machine to make up that extra 20+ years for you. :laugh:

okay, i can do that too, if its important to u..
Quincy Jones (a small percentage of his career)
1982-2010 (9 albums, + 8 produced albums) //NOT to mention his duties as an orchestrator, tv-scores etc etc (plus dude was already old as hell during these years)
Dr Dre (his whole career)
(1983-2010 (2 albums, 2 groupalbums, +7 produced albums)
STILL underachievement in comparison wit Q's work-ethic, in terms of that period of time and in documented catalogues

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
I know y'all probably thinking "not another thread" lol but I think this one will be unique and may create conversation

The topic of this thread, it does not matter whether we like these songs. My opinion, nor any of yours matters in that sense. I think one thing we can all agree on is "Kush" is Dre's attempt at "satisfying" his loyal fan base, those who loved "2001" and what has become what we know as west coast music. Again, whether or not you think its a good attempt doesn't matter; as long as you acknowledge that's an attempt.

"I Need a Doctor" is a typical 2011 single, flavor of the month beat and female chorus. This of course is the mainstream single. Again, whether or not you like the track doesn't matter, we can all acknowledge it's similar to a lot of recent hits by such artists as B.o.B., T.I., Eminem, Diddy, Lupe Fiasco and others (same producer, different catchy female hook).

Kush was released first and I Need A Doctor 2nd. I often see a trend here and wonder if you guys see the same thing. Artists who are used to and plan on selling records such as Dr. Dre (discredit underground artists) often follow this trend.

First single, ("street single") release something you believe your loyal fan base will love. Dr. Dre (and everyone involved) believe his loyal fan base will LOVE "Kush" and get super excited about his record; excited to the point where they're minds are made up that they're going to buy the album when it comes out, before being released. (Bare with me on this because Detox is such a highly anticipated album, many made up there mind 10 years ago they'd purchased it, but this example works for most mainstream artists and that specific point fits them more than it does Dr. Dre right now).

Second, you release the "official single" and its something that's a lot more radio friendly and mainstream (i.e. "i need a doctor"). This is too attract "fair weather" fans.

This way, on release of the "street single", it holds a similar sound to previous records which satisfied loyal fan bases. Loyal fan bases matter a lot more than "fair weather" fans because they're the group of fans that always purchase there favorite artists album. But "fair weather" fans help bring the album over the top. For a mainstream artist, in most cases, releasing singles that just satisfy your loyal fan bases won't propel your sales to new heights. You satisfy them first (Kush) to get them excited about your new album. Once they're on board, bring on the the 2nd single to attract new fans ("I need a doctor:). = they ALL buy your album, huge success.

But this trend happens with a lot of mainstream artists..Think Snoop Dogg releasing "Vato" first, T.I. releasing "No Matter What", Eminem releasing "Not Afraid", (all attempts at satisfying loyal fan bases before bringing on such singles as "Love the Way you Lie", "Whatever U Like", etc). There are millions of examples of this happening (loyal fan base single first, fair weather single second), but I just named a few.

Anyone else see it?

this thread did not need to be made
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Will_B

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
Oh I said that did I? ;D

okay, i can do that too, if its important to u..
Quincy Jones (a small percentage of his career)
1982-2010 (9 albums, + 8 produced albums) //NOT to mention his duties as an orchestrator, tv-scores etc etc (plus dude was already old as hell during these years)
Dr Dre (his whole career)
(1983-2010 (2 albums, 2 groupalbums, +7 produced albums)
STILL underachievement in comparison wit Q's work-ethic, in terms of that period of time and in documented catalogues

Hmmmmm well ok let's look at that.

From your figures Q's about 50/50 production and solo. Plus other work of course.

And Dre's done like less than 10% solo work. I guess he's not a Solo artist predominantly.

So you agree he's fucking his fans over...with his career path?

How would you do it if you were Dre? I guess be a different artist altogether. ;D

Lunatic

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
i think you're on point.
but the loyal fans wanted a Dre produced single
I can see that (the only way "Kush" wasn't a "good" attempt at Dre's loyal fan base was because it wasn't produced by Dre. But the sound of song still represents his loyal fan base.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
i think you're on point.
I can see that (the only way "Kush" wasn't a "good" attempt at Dre's loyal fan base was because it wasn't produced by Dre. But the sound of song still represents his loyal fan base.

i see what you're meaning with this. but i think, from the 'loyal fanbase' perspective, the minimum expected was for Dre to produce his own song

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »
the sound of song (Kush) still represents his loyal fan base.

Not at all.  His loyal fanbase isn't the metrosexual clubbers.  It is the people on the streets (Death Row era) and hardcore/originalist hip hop heads (Ruthless era).  There was nothing "street" about Kush, even though I agree it was the "street single" -- Interscope is just sorely mistaken if they think Kush is what the loyal fanbase wants to hear.

I am still waiting for the real street single for the loyal fanbase.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
^^^ you'll probably have a long wait.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
i think you're on point.
more like, supposed to represent.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
I think it was JohnnyL who said it the best.

This board was buzzing when "Kush" came out, then when "I Need A Doctor" came out, everybody who fucked with "Kush" started hating on it.

The sooner you all come to understand it doesn't matter what Dre puts out that you're all going to hate on it, the better. If he puts out something like "I Need A Doctor" or something that doesn't have that traditional Dre sound, you're going to say he sold out & it sucks & if he re-creates that old, classic sound of his you're all going to say "Dre is just recycling beats".

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
I think it was JohnnyL who said it the best.

This board was buzzing when "Kush" came out, then when "I Need A Doctor" came out, everybody who fucked with "Kush" started hating on it.

The sooner you all come to understand it doesn't matter what Dre puts out that you're all going to hate on it, the better. If he puts out something like "I Need A Doctor" or something that doesn't have that traditional Dre sound, you're going to say he sold out & it sucks & if he re-creates that old, classic sound of his you're all going to say "Dre is just recycling beats".
you're right about some posters.

i remember when Bishop Lamont dropped Grow Up & it got criticised heavily.
but it got more positive feedback here later on ;D

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »
the sound of song (Kush) still represents his loyal fan base.

Not at all.  His loyal fanbase isn't the metrosexual clubbers.  It is the people on the streets (Death Row era) and hardcore/originalist hip hop heads (Ruthless era).  There was nothing "street" about Kush, even though I agree it was the "street single" -- Interscope is just sorely mistaken if they think Kush is what the loyal fanbase wants to hear.

I am still waiting for the real street single for the loyal fanbase.

Actually his loyal fanbase is probably mostly suburban white boys. Kush has a similar sound to Dre's production style 99 onwards.