Author Topic: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)  (Read 2080 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Kush & I Need A Doctor (Explanation)
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »
^& his style isn't appealing to the mainstream anymore, hence why he's taking the golden formula of 2011 & running with it.

Who knows? Maybe the rest of the album will be all produced by Dre & very conventional Dre. But he needed this single in order to guarantee himself at least 500K or so he thinks.

& let's be honest, how relevant has Dre really been? Relapse got mixed reviews & wasn't too special on the charts & before that it was basically Game & 50 Cent & those two are pretty irrelevant themselves.

& people say the West is dead. That phrase came about because that style of music isn't popular anymore. The most poppin' thing off the coast are the Black Eyed Peas & that's the farthest thing from old Dre sounds. I personally don't think Dre's best effort would be a hit in 2011.

But it's all speculation until he actually gives us Detox. I mean, people here seem to think all those earlier leaks were just testing the waters to see the response. If "I Need A Doctor" gets a negative response, whose to say Dre won't go whip up ten vintage Dre sounding songs? It'll be interesting.

Will_B

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »
Luna, u ever gonna release that interview u have with Hittman? I don't even know why I'm asking this shit when he ain't never releasing shit..

http://dbicmag.ning.com/

Issue 3 & 4, 2 part interview

Props homie! The WC interview is a good'n too!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 02:48:27 AM »
I think it was JohnnyL who said it the best.

This board was buzzing when "Kush" came out, then when "I Need A Doctor" came out, everybody who fucked with "Kush" started hating on it.

The sooner you all come to understand it doesn't matter what Dre puts out that you're all going to hate on it, the better. If he puts out something like "I Need A Doctor" or something that doesn't have that traditional Dre sound, you're going to say he sold out & it sucks & if he re-creates that old, classic sound of his you're all going to say "Dre is just recycling beats".

I just want that Dre bounce. I don't care if it's some futuristic synths or whatever, but I used to listen to Dre because he had that funk in his beats. I really think he lost that. Off course I will check out Detox, but I won't be satisfied by a flavor of the month joint. I mean, you listen to Love the Way you Lie and INAD right after, it sounds exactly the same. Dre is somebody that used to create a new sound, and we get a Alex Da Kid beat. At least, Kush was a honest attempt to create something new while staying true to the ''traditionnal'' Dre sound (even if, in MY opinion, it failed)

I'm not going to lie, I want Dre to produce his own shit. It's kinda lame that he isn't. But he needs a single. I personally think that the rest of the album is going to be more Dre then "Alex Da Kid" sounding.

This is Dre we're talking about though. All of his career he has been the one artists go to for singles and standout songs. If he doesn't have the ability to produce his own single anymore then I'm not sure I want to hear the rest of the album.

But considering that most of the big singles this year have been produced by Alex Da Kid & have the exact same setup, Dre just got on board with that. He went for that standout single by following the standout singles.

Dre has to release at least one more song before he releases the album & I'd bet that he produces it & if that is miserable, then I guess you can start saying Detox is going to be a fucking joke lol.

But he didn't have Manny Fresh producing his album back in 1999. Point is, it has never mattered until now what producer-of-the-moment has been hot. Dre has put out his shit, its knocked and its been popular. If he can't make standout songs anymore then he simply doesn't have it.
i wouldn't say that, but he lost his confidence, like i've been saying a few times before.

^& his style isn't appealing to the mainstream anymore, hence why he's taking the golden formula of 2011 & running with it.

Who knows? Maybe the rest of the album will be all produced by Dre & very conventional Dre. But he needed this single in order to guarantee himself at least 500K or so he thinks.

& let's be honest, how relevant has Dre really been? Relapse got mixed reviews & wasn't too special on the charts & before that it was basically Game & 50 Cent & those two are pretty irrelevant themselves.

& people say the West is dead. That phrase came about because that style of music isn't popular anymore. The most poppin' thing off the coast are the Black Eyed Peas & that's the farthest thing from old Dre sounds. I personally don't think Dre's best effort would be a hit in 2011.

But it's all speculation until he actually gives us Detox. I mean, people here seem to think all those earlier leaks were just testing the waters to see the response. If "I Need A Doctor" gets a negative response, whose to say Dre won't go whip up ten vintage Dre sounding songs? It'll be interesting.
so you think Dre can't make a hit any more?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »

so you think Dre can't make a hit any more?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
^A hit as in like Top #1 major old school 50 Cent, modern Lil' Wayne type, on the radio for months single? While sticking to his roots? Today? Unfortunatley no.

Maybe he can make a song that people like us love to death, but to appeal to the mainstream as a whole? I don't think he can do it. I'm doubting the doctor lol.

I'm rooting for him though. Harder then most on here.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
^A hit as in like Top #1 major old school 50 Cent, modern Lil' Wayne type, on the radio for months single? While sticking to his roots? Today? Unfortunatley no.

Maybe he can make a song that people like us love to death, but to appeal to the mainstream as a whole? I don't think he can do it. I'm doubting the doctor lol.

I havent heard I Need A Doctor on the radio once, yet the song is at #2 on Itunes, we'll see how long it will hang around

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »

I havent heard I Need A Doctor on the radio once, yet the song is at #2 on Itunes, we'll see how long it will hang around

It depends on the music video. It's going to make or break the song. But it should/will be high budget.

But Dre didn't "make" "I Need A Doctor". Alex Da Kid did.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2011, 11:09:42 AM »

It depends on the music video. It's going to make or break the song. But it should/will be high budget.

But Dre didn't "make" "I Need A Doctor". Alex Da Kid did.

don't remind me lol

Johnny_B

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Dre, Em and Snoop on a Dre-produced track would have been a high-selling track based on their names alone so going with the Alex da kid route was pointless. Just look at Crack a bottle. It sold 418,000 units and won a Grammy with hardly any promotion and a lack-luster video.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

but that was/is Dre's talent, to please both groups.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »

I heard this song yesterday on the radio & I live in Poland, I have to admit I was very surprised.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »
Fuck who's on the track. Just because Em's on it isn't going to make it a hit.

Imo what Dre needs is creativity. Love the Way You Lie was huge. But its been blasting on the radio all year. I'm not sure the mainstream public is going to support a song that sounds virtually the same.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:20:19 PM by THE RAPTURE »

Lunatic

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
I must say though, I don't agree with everyone's disappointment that Dre didn't produce "Kush" (the first song we heard). Maybe I'm not as picky, but that beat is BANANAS so I can care less.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Al Bundy

« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:53 PM »
I must say though, I don't agree with everyone's disappointment that Dre didn't produce "Kush" (the first song we heard). Maybe I'm not as picky, but that beat is BANANAS so I can care less.

My problem with the track is it sounds like it's TRYING to be some signature dre track and it failed in that aspect.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »

My problem with the track is it sounds like it's TRYING to be some signature dre track and it failed in that aspect.

I do agree with that. I like "Kush", but it seems like some generic recreation.

I remember hearing that Dre said he's going to work with almost everyone he's ever worked with on Detox; meaning features. I mean, depending on who he gets, that could make or break the album.