Author Topic: Blueprint to get Dr. Dre back on track  (Read 2468 times)

love33

Re: Blueprint to get Dr. Dre back on track
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Well, fine, if it falls off the charts, next week, I'm all for hearing these brilliant backseat P.R. marketing plans to reinvent Dr. Dre but right now, he's got the #4 single in the country so saying they need to scrap it all and try to sell him like he's in 20's or 30's again sounds absurd to me. 

Jimmy that's one song that's not gonna sell an entire album.  Pitbull & T-Pain got a dope track out gettin mad play but it's not gonna sell a platinum album.  The expectation here is a platinum album not one song carried by Eminem that people will bootleg and not buy the whole album.  Don't forget we've waited 12 years for this shit.  This is hardly "Nuthin But A G Thang" or "Keep Their Heads Ringin."

I can tell you I go to the biggest clubs in SouthBeach Mansion (Liv), O, Space, Set, Nikki Beach, Mynt Lounge, etc. they aren't playin that shit down here.  They aren't feelin it.  Like I said they play "kush" speeded up real quick how's that going to sell a million copies?

Noobcake: Like i said before, it's impossible to market a 46 year old rapper to today's record buying public (teenagers).  Dre is the same age as their parents.  It's just not gonna happen for him this time unless every song on Detox will contain 2 Eminem verses.

I'm starting to see that point, I mean look at how Nelly can't sell like he once did.  The Birdman said in an interview when you fall off very rarely do you ever see a rapper who falls off get back on his two feet again.  E-40 is one of the only examples I can think of who fell off and came back to be a mainstream success, but it rarely happens.

Who gives a fuck about florida. Dre releasing a song with david guetta aint gon do shit either.
David Guetta is pumpin hit records out left and right.  He's the go-to producer at the moment.

love33

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
Lmao   Off at basin what dr dre needs over what's hot in Florida that's like saying gucci mane should start tailoring his music to what's hot in New York.

Exactly what Snoop does

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2011, 08:21:47 PM »
Lmao   Off at basin what dr dre needs over what's hot in Florida that's like saying gucci mane should start tailoring his music to what's hot in New York.

Exactly what Snoop does
.   And every snoop album these days flops and is garbage

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »

Nobody in Florida is talking about him.  Nobody is saying his name.  They play "Kush" speeded up in Miami then they mix it with another track so it sits on there for 2 min speeded up a few people move.  There is a PR problem cause you're talkin about getting college girls 17-25 and guys 22-45 to buy the album and it's goin to be a rough road ahead if they can't reinvent him and he drops a song worth listening to
Who gives a fuck about florida. Dre releasing a song with david guetta aint gon do shit either.

although it would totally turn me off to his whole legacy a song with david guetta would actually probably push the shit out of this record to the kids.

lets cross our fingers  :P

love33

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »

Nobody in Florida is talking about him.  Nobody is saying his name.  They play "Kush" speeded up in Miami then they mix it with another track so it sits on there for 2 min speeded up a few people move.  There is a PR problem cause you're talkin about getting college girls 17-25 and guys 22-45 to buy the album and it's goin to be a rough road ahead if they can't reinvent him and he drops a song worth listening to

although it would totally turn me off to his whole legacy a song with david guetta would actually probably push the shit out of this record to the kids.

lets cross our fingers  :P

Agree 100%.  It would be a 180 degree music-wise from the 1992-95 Chronic Days, but some people on this forum can't figure out that it's 2011 and not 1996.  If Dre and David Guetta hooked up, it would be fire from a sales standpoint and I'm sure Guetta would drop some hyped dance beat like he has been droppin that would get people jumpin.  That's why I said they could put him on that Chris Brown "Yeah" record and it would get his name movin in the $$$$ direction.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
Jimmy that's one song that's not gonna sell an entire album.  Pitbull & T-Pain got a dope track out gettin mad play but it's not gonna sell a platinum album.  The expectation here is a platinum album not one song carried by Eminem that people will bootleg and not buy the whole album.  Don't forget we've waited 12 years for this shit.  This is hardly "Nuthin But A G Thang" or "Keep Their Heads Ringin."

I can tell you I go to the biggest clubs in SouthBeach Mansion (Liv), O, Space, Set, Nikki Beach, Mynt Lounge, etc. they aren't playin that shit down here.  They aren't feelin it.  Like I said they play "kush" speeded up real quick how's that going to sell a million copies?
It's been in top 10 digital sales so people have been buying it. Even if it was physically possible for you to be at every club in Miami at once and stay there 24-7, it's still a tiny portion of the overall national audience so you're not telling me anything. Detox is not a regional record designed to be made or broken by how the Miami clubs react to it. I'm sorry but it just isn't.

You're talking about an album that people have been hyping up for over a decade so the name is out there. It's gonna do platinum if/when it comes out. The standstill talk is all jazz. Dre was on the XXL cover, last month, and on Vibe not too far before that. You're talking about two of the most recognized publications in regards to urban music. You don't put somebody's image on the cover of a magazine like that unless there is a level of confidence that that image is going to sell magazines. You have an album with huge word of mouth and a single in rotation that has a strong buzz. People on the forum might HATE the song and I'm not here to debate the quality of the music but the fact remains in terms of chart performance, it's selling.

You'll Never Walk Alone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
Puttin dre on chris browns song or on a guetta song aint gon do shit for detox sales the majority of people that liked it would just download that 1 song and not give a fuck bout getting detox. A dre and em version of Love Takes Over would be mad chillstho.

love33

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
You don't put somebody's image on the cover of a magazine like that unless there is a level of confidence that that image is going to sell magazines.
I see what your point is in that they are pushing him hard with the promotion money, but as far as magazines go a lot of artists have been on magazines and that didn't do much at all.  If it was the 90's I'd say yeah those are huge, but Crooked I and Young Keno took the covers of those magazines and they didn't sell any records.  But from a marketing standpoint, it's the dr. pepper commercials, hp commercials, having him on the grammys, and those type of gimmicks that they are using.  My point is that one track isn't going to sell an album and the point many people have made on this forum is that one track can be downloaded/listen to on youtube and die out quickly.

The reason why I am leaning towards buying the new Snoop album is because I've heard several cuts and I like what I hear and I think they have some longevitiy to them.  I don't hear any longevity in "Kush" and especially not "I Need A Doctor."  If his goal is to just get Eminem fans to buy the music, feature him, Jay-Z, and Wayne on every track and just do the last verse.  But if we want a real Dre record, we want to hear a single where it's Dre like "Let Me Ride."

When I say he should work with Guetta some people think I'm referring for the whole album, nah just put 1-3 tracks on there, then do some classic stuff where he talks about some real topics that have surrounded him, then do a couple modernized g-funk tracks, and mix in some west coast cats Game, Snoop, Ya Boy, etc. I think he should even put Tha Realest on a couple tracks because you can hate on his image all you want but dude makes good sounding music.

He needs a diverse approach to this album and please make it a double-disc if it's gonna be his last.  I haven't bought a good double disc in ages and this would be the album for that to happen if its done right.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Crooked I was never on a cover as a solo act. He was part of something bigger like Slaughterhouse signing to Shady or the new Death Row.

Making a single like "Let Me Ride" is kind of like preaching to the converted in my opinion. Dre's fan base are buying this day it drops. And the ones that aren't going to buy certainly aren't going to be turned around by one song themselves. The audience you're talking abour are either a) going to blind buy it on opening day or b) wait for the early leak, download it, and make up their mind there. Investing marketing and promotion dollars to make these people aware of a product they haven't stopped asking about for 10 years is pointless.

OG Jaydc

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Fuck your opinion.
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:56 PM »
Crooked I was never on a cover as a solo act. He was part of something bigger like Slaughterhouse signing to Shady or the new Death Row.

Making a single like "Let Me Ride" is kind of like preaching to the converted in my opinion. Dre's fan base are buying this day it drops. And the ones that aren't going to buy certainly aren't going to be turned around by one song themselves. The audience you're talking abour are either a) going to blind buy it on opening day or b) wait for the early leak, download it, and make up their mind there. Investing marketing and promotion dollars to make these people aware of a product they haven't stopped asking about for 10 years is pointless.
.  He was on as a solo act twice, once on deathrow and them again on the first xxl freshmen cover. He wasn't on the cover alone but it was as a solo act

Jimmy H.

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
I didn't mean "solo act" as solo artist though in retrospect, I can see how easily there could be confusion. What I meant was he was contributing part of a bigger story. With Death Row, the story was Suge and his return to the game with a new roster. With that other article, it was a whole handful of artists. With the new one, it's about Eminem's new Shady roster. With Dre, the focus of the story is "Detox". They are selling that article on the album.