Author Topic: Working on a project looking for advice, critiques, collaborators, etc….  (Read 276 times)

Wavves

• Lil Geezy
Yeooo everybody wutup, I’m planning on releasing a pre-cursor/introductory project sometime soon. I know the whole “I rap send me beats” thing is tired/lame, and has been done a thousand times. Which is why I’m going to put out a body of work first. That being this project, that way I’ll have something in my “portfolio” for those interested in fxcking with me on the music tip. For now I'm just going to scour a bunch of sites, forums, blogs, etc… listening to instrumentals and writing songs to the ones I like for this project, which I will release here on the internet. I'm doing a sort of “rap boot camp” a long the way. That’s where you guys come in with advice, critiques, etc.... if you want. You can even contribute to the project now if you want. I am including four freestyles in this initial post 2 older, and 2 more fairly recent all-older lyrics though, so you have at least a general idea of what I sound like. Plus I’m pretty sure a wall of text this big with no music would piss you off lol. I've gotten a lil better since then but still haven't found my "voice" yet as far as unique Candace, flow, etc....which can be said for a lot of rappers underground, and successful and I'm attempting to break through that barrier .

Freestyles:
http://www.usershare.net/2c7fj7dyby06

http://www.usershare.net/yu1os03yavnj

http://www.usershare.net/54ta8r94dsh2

http://www.usershare.net/rc61mf29iy6u

A bit about me:
21, Male, from Queens NYC
Influences: Kanye West, Daft Punk, Thom Yorke, M.I.A., Justice, LCD Soundsystem, Vampire Weekend, Radiohead, Aphex Twin, Deerhunter, Atlas Sound, Deerhoof, Sleigh Bells, Black Dice, Boards of Canada, Crystal Castles, Fiest, The Field, Isolee, Junior Boys, The Knife, Panda bear, Memory Tapes, Washed Out, Boys Noize, Santogold, Burial, MGMT, Passion Pit, Chairlift, Royksopp, Phoenix, The XX, Gang Gang Dance, Animal Collective, Odd Future, Mount Kimbie

Who can contribute:
Producers
Other artist (vocalist, rappers, graphic designers, directors, etc….)

Concept wise I'm listening/looking for instrumentals that have a "spacey chilled out vibe to them that create the illusion of vast space within the beat” Think of artist like The XX (Fantasy) Tyler the creator (Blow) Mount Kimbie (50 Mile View), Some of 40's work on "So Far Gone" (Lust for life, The Calm, Houstatlantavegas)

During this time I will be doing any and all features, freestyles, collabs I am asked to do in the spirit of practice and getting better.

Any advice you guys have as far as rapping goes, general advice, albums I should give a listen, artist I should check out, websites I should check out etc....I'll look into/take into account

DJ ACE CAPONE

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • An OG's OG
Re: Working on a project looking for advice, critiques, collaborators, etc….
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »
Since you have alot of looks and no replies, let me be the first. I only listened to the first & second cuts only. So going off of that I am going to advice you to take your time with yourself. Don't rush into this because you need to either write or hone your freestyle skills and vocabulary more. I actually liked the first one, maybe because of the beat but nowadays technicality of the rhymes is crucial. Unless you are Too Short or Snoop have been in this long enough to get away with it.

I am working with an artist now who is a terror on paper but freestyle is a no go & I have told him that which has made him a better rapper.

Don't use anyone elses beats unless you are prepared to rip that shit up. On the second song I wasn't impressed at all & actually turned it off before I got through it all. The rhymes were so simple. Look at J-Rock on Kush beat, he tore that shire up better than the actual song.

I am pushing my man by doing a few things and since money is scarce and this isn't my job, I have decided to put in what I can for him. I am doing his website, mix cds & other shit. Get some people that believe in you truly. You can't do shit without support. Though he has an A & R they aren't pushing him as a new artist because they have a bigger one, so I want to push as much as I can for him.

You have youth on your side so take your time, give it all you got & stay out of trouble. There are a million rappers out there struggling to be made, get good material out there.

Write wite write.

Good luck!

DJ Ace
New mixtape out weekly:

Listen to my mixtapes bitches! www.DJACEINTHEMIX.com

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
good luck with the project, i like your ambition.  Im not at my desktop now but later I will peep some of your sounds.

Just let me know if theres anything you'd like me to do from a moderator standpoint.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)