Author Topic: Slim Shady LP + EP appreciation thread  (Read 989 times)

Knett

• 'G'
Re: Slim Shady LP + EP appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
I also think the Slim Shady LP was better because this was the more raw Eminem. Marshall Mathers LP is a bit more commercial.
Not that that's a bad thing, but still the first LP felt more pure.

SSLP>MMLP>EMINEMSHOW>RELAPSE>FROMTHELAB>ENCORE>RECOVERY
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU</a>

Prof@ssor

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »
MMLP contains more songs about how he dealt with the fame and everything, and that is what makes it a weaker album.

Yes, there are songs like Bitch Please II and Stan which are musically very very good, but music is more than just a technical or other aspect. There's something called ''soul'', and SSLP has more soul than anything Eminem has ever done. The energy of the white boy who lived an awful life and had to prove everything, against all odds, is very present. It's very typical of a debut album, Illmatic, Tical, Ready To Die, Power of the Dollar, etc...

MMLP feels like an exquisite piece of art made ''deliberately'' by an artist after the fame, while SSLP feels more like something that had to happen... it contains more things that we can all relate too. Matter fact I could even go as far as saying that the Eminem Show is a better album than MMLP.

The Slim Shady we ca all relate too > The Slim Shady we look up too. Sad but true. And Em is actually one of the few artist who couldn't have done a better job at progressing after each album (except for Encore and Recovery) but it is what it is.

Will_B

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 02:44:33 AM »
I also think the Slim Shady LP was better because this was the more raw Eminem. Marshall Mathers LP is a bit more commercial.

Raw but crude, and less intelligence than MMLP (plus MMLP is better crafted musically).

Just my 2cents!

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:51 AM »
It's Em at his rawest and just murdering beats,

http://www.MicLordz.com <---Dubcc member heading on tour with Sen Dog, check us out!!!
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

soulja85

• 'G'
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 07:59:28 AM »
SSLP is my fave slim album. I prefer when he has his raw head on. Some of the stuff he came out with on that album was just wtf the amazing also.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »

Raw but crude, and less intelligence than MMLP (plus MMLP is better crafted musically).

Just my 2cents!

That's what I'm saying.

Knett

• 'G'
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:06 AM »
I also think that the SSLP album is more honest, with MMLP he really tried to make some hits.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/583-R_7V1iU</a>

HighEyeCue

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
MMLP is a better album, but SSLP is definitely up there as one of his best along with TES

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:56:38 AM »

SSLP > Infinite > SSEP > MMLP > Eminem show > anything else

Now people want to act like they are some hardcore Em fans by saying that SSLP or Infinite were his best albums; but where the fuck were all these voices back in 1999 and 2000.  It wasn't until after the MMLP came out that I finally started hearing Eminem receiving acceptance from fans.  Now it's like an overreaction with fans going back and saying that SSLP was his best album... but I question that...  

Eminem himself said he got better and progressed as a rapper and producer with each album (up until falling off with Encore), and I agree with that.   SSLP was a great album but MMLP was even better (Dre said it's the closest he ever came to producing a perfect album), and then Eminem Show was pretty much a flawless record.  Then Eminem reached the climax of his career with "8 Mile Road" and his biggest hit ever and most memorable track "Lose Yourself".

...so anyway, my point is that yeah, the Slim Shady LP was a great album.  But how many people who love it now were supportin it when it first dropped?   For me, it was enough to hear he was signed to Aftermath back in 98', but for most it took his appearances on Dre's album and the MMLP before they finally started jumping on the bandwagon.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:58:12 AM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

kuruptlon

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »
I wont claim that one album is better than the other, but what I will say is that I have gained an appreciation for the Infinite album over the years. For some reason any time I put Em on recently its been to put that album on. Its very laid back.

So Much Style

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:08 PM »
MMLP>SSLP>RELAPSE>EMINEM SHOW>RECOVERY>ENCORE

my personal opinion...MMLP is a classic...SSLP shows an unpolished em finding his way in the game, very sick....i like relapse and all of its leftovers a whole lot (BUFFALO BILL. hell breaks loose, etc..things get worse...etc...)eminem show is nice but alot of mainstream shit and i dont fuck with ALL of it, and encore we all know is pretty shitty. I didnt like angry em on THE RE UP, and i think he about his his prime during 8 mile like most...
So much style back at it again

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »

Now people want to act like they are some hardcore Em fans by saying that SSLP or Infinite were his best albums; but where the fuck were all these voices back in 1999 and 2000.  It wasn't until after the MMLP came out that I finally started hearing Eminem receiving acceptance from fans.  Now it's like an overreaction with fans going back and saying that SSLP was his best album... but I question that...  

Eminem himself said he got better and progressed as a rapper and producer with each album (up until falling off with Encore), and I agree with that.   SSLP was a great album but MMLP was even better (Dre said it's the closest he ever came to producing a perfect album), and then Eminem Show was pretty much a flawless record.  Then Eminem reached the climax of his career with "8 Mile Road" and his biggest hit ever and most memorable track "Lose Yourself".

...so anyway, my point is that yeah, the Slim Shady LP was a great album.  But how many people who love it now were supportin it when it first dropped?   For me, it was enough to hear he was signed to Aftermath back in 98', but for most it took his appearances on Dre's album and the MMLP before they finally started jumping on the bandwagon.  

I bought the SSLP when it first came out in spring of '99 and it's been a top 10 album of mine EVER since
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Knett

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »

I bought the SSLP when it first came out in spring of '99 and it's been a top 10 album of mine EVER since

Matter of fact, I'm gonna listen to SSLP again.

The Watcher

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
i think sslp is his best album, next i would put relapse and probably mmlp. the others after that are pretty much even as far as im concerned

i always preferred his more comical side where he was just spitting lyrics. where he wasnt concentrating so much on the flow or whatever. i can put sslp album on from the start and not skip a track. for me thats VERY rare, pretty much the only album where i can do this
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jay_J

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 06:04:19 AM »
SSLP>MMLP>The Eminem Show>Relapse>Encore>Recovery